Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Proberta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Green and Citrinis clown goby and a royal gramma, assorted cuc, pincushion urchin and cleaner shrimp in a 25 gal tank. Can and/or should I add a six line wrasse? Also full of softies and a few lps.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Green and Citrinis clown goby and a royal gramma, assorted cuc, pincushion urchin and cleaner shrimp in a 25 gal tank. Can and/or should I add a six line wrasse? Also full of softies and a few lps.
Sixline wrasses can be pretty aggressive, especially in small tanks. I would advise against it. Consider a pink streak wrasse instead.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the gramma is in first they should be ok.

Orchid was in first [emoji29]. Orchid is a bit of a jerk and is socially isolated from all the other fish.

I actually have a harder time feeding the dotty because everyone in the tank hates him [emoji28] (so a fish trap probably won’t work to swap them)

Last edited:

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking at adding some australian stripey's to my reef tank. I am getting differing information on whether they are reef safe or not. Live aquaria says no, among the reef/fishy business say yes. Anyone have experience with these?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid was in first [emoji29]. Orchid is a bit of a jerk and is socially isolated from all the other fish.

I actually have a harder time feeding the dotty because everyone in the tank hates him [emoji28] (so a fish trap probably won’t work to swap them)
If that is the case then I would not mix the two.
So I am looking at adding some australian stripey's to my reef tank. I am getting differing information on whether they are reef safe or not. Live aquaria says no, among the reef/fishy business say yes. Anyone have experience with these?
They are not completely reef safe. They may pick at some corals.

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok thanks for the info, I mainly keep LPS but I'm sure if I go through with adding them it's a toss up. Any info on if they eat inverts like shrimp?

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No problem. I’m amazed on how all the other fish in my tank banded together to isolate the tank bully lol. All the other fish chill together except for him. My big wrasse knocks him around when the dotty decides to get bullish.

When the dotty first went in he attacked every fish in the tank [emoji79]

ducks4rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on fish in frag tank. 20l setup with 2 clowns and a couple trochus. Looking mainly for algae control. I think a blenny would be good but not sure what kind. Have mostly lps in it, acans, blastos, some hammers, zoas, and also some monti and chalice frags. Blenny the way to go? Which kind? Thank you.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on fish in frag tank. 20l setup with 2 clowns and a couple trochus. Looking mainly for algae control. I think a blenny would be good but not sure what kind. Have mostly lps in it, acans, blastos, some hammers, zoas, and also some monti and chalice frags. Blenny the way to go? Which kind? Thank you.
A rainsford or hectori goby are safer choices than the blennies that would work for that size tank.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into stocking a tank and I’m leaning toward fowlr so i can squeeze more a couple more fish in it.. what size tank would i need to accommodate the fish below if they would be safe. It’s a weird list but I’m trying to get a group of fish that me and my girlfriend can enjoy for years to come and be compatible.

2 black ice clownfish
1 flame angel
1 long nose butterfly
Small school of red/purple dartfish
1 one spot foxface
1 green mandarin
1 yellow tang
1 powder blue tang
1 yellow eyed tang
1 Nigel trigger or 1 sailfin tang

Any way this list could work or an additions or improvements or should i go back to the drawing board?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into stocking a tank and I’m leaning toward fowlr so i can squeeze more a couple more fish in it.. what size tank would i need to accommodate the fish below if they would be safe. It’s a weird list but I’m trying to get a group of fish that me and my girlfriend can enjoy for years to come and be compatible.

2 black ice clownfish
1 flame angel
1 long nose butterfly
Small school of red/purple dartfish
1 one spot foxface
1 green mandarin
1 yellow tang
1 powder blue tang
1 yellow eyed tang
1 Nigel trigger or 1 sailfin tang

Any way this list could work or an additions or improvements or should i go back to the drawing board?
Blue tangs and niger triggers get pretty big and need to be in a 180g. All the other species could happily be housed in a 90g.

The only issue would be the school of firefish. Firefish are intolerant of conspecifics in captivity, unless they are a bonded pr.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tangs and niger triggers get pretty big and need to be in a 180g. All the other species could happily be housed in a 90g.

The only issue would be the school of firefish. Firefish are intolerant of conspecifics in captivity, unless they are a bonded pr.

In your opinion of i got a 180 gallon would this list minus the sailfin work? Maybe add another small schooling fish or a boxfish?

I haven’t even begin to think of adding order or anything like that just trying to get some of our favorites in a good sized tank

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinion of i got a 180 gallon would this list minus the sailfin work? Maybe add another small schooling fish or a boxfish?

I haven’t even begin to think of adding order or anything like that just trying to get some of our favorites in a good sized tank
I wouldn't mix a trigger with a boxfish, but otherwise that should work in a 180g.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its up to you. It just depends on the combination of species you ultimately want.

I’m honestly just spitballing and if we end up enjoying the list we are thinking of putting together i plan on looking more into specifically trying to cater to the fish and their needs to be happy. If unable to the list will change and so on.. more concerned with the tank size per say. I’d like to have this tank for a long time and not upgrade again.. we both enjoy a couple larger fish so I’d rather get the right tank to begin with as opposed to buying them having to upgrade in a year or two.

Thanks for your help!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back