Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2.6 gallon (11.9"x7.1"x7.1") that will be plumbed to a ~40 gallon system (1 year old, SPS, anemone tank).

I want to keep an Antennatus Tuberosus or Linearis. Since these are tiny (under an inch sometimes?), I was thinking a tank with much smaller footprint would be great, especially if it could be plumbed into a different system that can take the bioload. These suckers would disappear in a larger tank, and maybe even harder to feed in that case.

Any thoughts? Is the footprint too small?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2.6 gallon (11.9"x7.1"x7.1") that will be plumbed to a ~40 gallon system (1 year old, SPS, anemone tank).

I want to keep an Antennatus Tuberosus or Linearis. Since these are tiny (under an inch sometimes?), I was thinking a tank with much smaller footprint would be great, especially if it could be plumbed into a different system that can take the bioload. These suckers would disappear in a larger tank, and maybe even harder to feed in that case.

Any thoughts? Is the footprint too small?
I would be concerned about the small dimensions, but the fact that it is tied into a larger system should help.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned about the small dimensions, but the fact that it is tied into a larger system should help.

Help with what?

Bioload = should not be an issue, the system holds up and is already running extremely low on nutrients (0 detectable NO3/PO4, whole other issue tbh). Unless these pygmy anglers need more than 40 gallons?

I'm mostly wondering if the footprint / territory size is enough.

phlibbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125 gallon 6ft long tank
120lbs live rock
80lbs live sand
2 x S1 Vectra return pumps
Trigger 39 sump
reef octopus 200int skimmer
2 x mp40

undetectable phosphate and nitrate

currently have:
2 clown, 1 juvenile hippo tang, 1 6" blonde naso tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 scopas tang, 1 watchmen goby, 2 lyretail anthias, 1 royal gamma, 1 engineer goby all living in perfect harmony

I really want a trigger that is reef safe. I have 19 coral frags. I was thinking of a small / medium blue throat trigger.

Would he be ok?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help with what?

Bioload = should not be an issue, the system holds up and is already running extremely low on nutrients (0 detectable NO3/PO4, whole other issue tbh). Unless these pygmy anglers need more than 40 gallons?

I'm mostly wondering if the footprint / territory size is enough.
2.6g does not give much space, especially after rock is added, so that volume and space gets cut down significantly. The reason being tied into a larger tank helps is because less liverock is needed. However, due to their relying on camoflage, they still need adequate decorations. And even though they are mostly sedentary they do roam and change up their 'spots'.

125 gallon 6ft long tank
120lbs live rock
80lbs live sand
2 x S1 Vectra return pumps
Trigger 39 sump
reef octopus 200int skimmer
2 x mp40

undetectable phosphate and nitrate

currently have:
2 clown, 1 juvenile hippo tang, 1 6" blonde naso tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 scopas tang, 1 watchmen goby, 2 lyretail anthias, 1 royal gamma, 1 engineer goby all living in perfect harmony

I really want a trigger that is reef safe. I have 19 coral frags. I was thinking of a small / medium blue throat trigger.

Would he be ok?
A blue throat should be fine, as long as you can maintain good parameters.

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
redsea reefer 450 Mixed reef

undectectable phosphates
Nitrates: 5ppm

current stocking:
- 2 Black Photon Clownfish
- Yellowwatchman Goby
- Chalkbass
- Royal Gramma Basslet
- Psychedelic Mandarin Dragonet
- Yellow Coris Wrasse
- Hector Goby
-Pistol shrimp
-Fire Shrimp
-Cleaner shrimp
-peppermint shrimp
-Blue tuxedo sea urchin

will be adding:
Radiant Wrasse
Kole Tang

wondering if I might be able to squeeze in a flasher wrasse and a onespot foxface OR cherub angel

any thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

undectectable phosphates

current stocking:
- Yellowwatchman Goby
- Chalkbass
- Royal Gramma Basslet
- Yellow Coris Wrasse
- Hector Goby
-Pistol shrimp
-Fire Shrimp
-Cleaner shrimp
-peppermint shrimp
-Blue tuxedo sea urchin

will be adding:
Radiant Wrasse
Kole Tang

wondering if I might be able to squeeze in a flasher wrasse and a onespot foxface OR cherub angel

any thoughts?
I would worry about adding a radiant wrasse. They are big time pod eaters andso are yellow coris wrasses. Both are capable of outcompeting a mandarin. For that reason, 1 pod eater for every 50g of volume is safe. Adding a radiant wrasse overreaches that ratio.

The other fish will work.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

undectectable phosphates

current stocking:
- Yellowwatchman Goby
- Chalkbass
- Royal Gramma Basslet
- Yellow Coris Wrasse
- Hector Goby
-Pistol shrimp
-Fire Shrimp
-Cleaner shrimp
-peppermint shrimp
-Blue tuxedo sea urchin

will be adding:
Radiant Wrasse
Kole Tang

any thoughts?
I would worry about adding a radiant wrasse. They are big time pod eaters andso are yellow coris wrasses. Both are capable of outcompeting a mandarin. For that reason, 1 pod eater for every 50g of volume is safe. Adding a radiant wrasse overreaches that ratio.

The other fish will work.

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have a pretty big refugium so I was hoping it would work out but I guess not.
In your experience would the flasher wrasse work? is it easier on the pod population?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have a pretty big refugium so I was hoping it would work out but I guess not.
In your experience would the flasher wrasse work? is it easier on the pod population?
Flasher wrasses don't put pressure on the pod population.

To be clear, the yellow coris and radiant would be fine without that much space or a refugium. It would be the mandarin that would lose out. If the refugium is 40+g it may work.

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher wrasses don't put pressure on the pod population.

To be clear, the yellow coris and radiant would be fine without that much space or a refugium. It would be the mandarin that would lose out. If the refugium is 40+g it may work.

Great, thanks for the info. My mandarin is fairly new but i'm hoping to be able to get him on frozen or refrigerated food. I was going to add the radiant next but perhaps I'll hold on to see if the mandarin picks up on my feeding. refugium is only about 10-15g so it wouldnt work

MiniNina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to get a regal tang and yellow tang for my 125 i'm planing to upgrade in 1 year or 2, will they be okay?

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help on my Stocking list for a 60 gallon hex I’m building. Have it posted in another discussion board. If I knew how to tag it I would.

Tank is 24” tall and each side is 14 to 14.5 inches. I say a range because the tank is one piece molded with rounded “corners”. Corner to corner is 28” and panel to panel is 25”.

Overflow and returns will be drilled in the bottom on the back of the tank with LR in front of that in some fashion.

Tank will have a 10 gallon sump and likely at least 1 powerhead. Not looking to do corals but maybe an anemone or two. Going to do a 2” sand bed and some LR. Not sure on poundage but I have around 60 I think. Light is a black box led.

Would like to do two main show fish
Current ideas are:
foxface (wife wants)
dwarf angle (not sure which)
I like copper band butterfly but have read a lot here bout them so perhaps not. Is there a different butterfly that would work.
Perhaps a small tang

Other wants/ideas
Flame hawk
a yellow watchman
diamond goby
Any Other ideas ? Wanting some color but also character.
Some cardinals perhaps?

Other things:
Bubble tip anemone
Emerald crab
Various snails and hermits
Urchin?

I am thinking that since this is my first SW tank I will start with the gobies and CUC and maybe a “herd” of chromis or damsels for a while to make sure I can keep them alive. Then upgrade to “bigger” (more expensive) ones after 6-12 months.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help on my Stocking list for a 60 gallon hex I’m building. Have it posted in another discussion board. If I knew how to tag it I would.

Tank is 24” tall and each side is 14 to 14.5 inches. I say a range because the tank is one piece molded with rounded “corners”. Corner to corner is 28” and panel to panel is 25”.

Overflow and returns will be drilled in the bottom on the back of the tank with LR in front of that in some fashion.

Tank will have a 10 gallon sump and likely at least 1 powerhead. Not looking to do corals but maybe an anemone or two. Going to do a 2” sand bed and some LR. Not sure on poundage but I have around 60 I think. Light is a black box led.

Would like to do two main show fish
Current ideas are:
foxface (wife wants)
dwarf angle (not sure which)
I like copper band butterfly but have read a lot here bout them so perhaps not. Is there a different butterfly that would work.
Perhaps a small tang

Other wants/ideas
Flame hawk
a yellow watchman
diamond goby
Any Other ideas ? Wanting some color but also character.
Some cardinals perhaps?

Other things:
Bubble tip anemone
Emerald crab
Various snails and hermits
Urchin?

I am thinking that since this is my first SW tank I will start with the gobies and CUC and maybe a “herd” of chromis or damsels for a while to make sure I can keep them alive. Then upgrade to “bigger” (more expensive) ones after 6-12 months.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I used to have that same tank for freshwater!

Foxface, tangs, and butterflies are not good options for that size tank with those dimensions.

A dwarf angel is a good choice.

Flame hawkfish are very personable.

Watchman goby is a good choice.

Let the tank mature for 6+ months before adding the diamond goby.

People often report chromis picking each other off.

Chrysiptera species of damsels are better behaved than many of the other damsel types.

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have that same tank for freshwater!

Foxface, tangs, and butterflies are not good options for that size tank with those dimensions.

A dwarf angel is a good choice.

Flame hawkfish are very personable.

Watchman goby is a good choice.

Let the tank mature for 6+ months before adding the diamond goby.

People often report chromis picking each other off.

Chrysiptera species of damsels are better behaved than many of the other damsel types.

Thank you!

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea reefer 525xl stocking list will be a fowlr tank

1 niger trigger small
2 black ice clownfish
2purple firefish
1flame angel
1purple tang
1 blue powder tang
1 carpenters flasher wrasse

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea reefer 525xl stocking list will be a fowlr tank

1 niger trigger small
2 black ice clownfish
2purple firefish
1flame angel
1purple tang
1 blue powder tang
1 carpenters flasher wrasse
Eventually the niger will get a bit big for that tank, but that will be a few years away. Otherwise should be fine.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think that list is pretty maxed or could i add some smaller fish like a goby or Anthia school?
Its not overstocked. If there isn't aggression and nutrients remain manageable it should be fine to add a few more.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back