Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I think most of you know but I have a 240 gallon tank that’s been up and going for almost 10 months and doing good. Yesterday I purchased a ladder goby and he was fine the first hour in my tank and was left alone and started to sift sand. But I havnt seen him all day so not sure if that’s normal or bad.

I have done research on them but it’s so conflicting and vague at times. Some say the 240 is way to big and I have about a three inch to four inch sand bed. He is my first but want my sand to be beautiful again.

Yes I panic when I don’t see my fish or something I should see so not sure what to do. Since my tank is 10 months old I know I have more than enough things for him to munch on. Others have said to add other goby or another type. Some say they are very hearty and others say very sensitive.

My concern is my lfs said you can’t qt these because they will starve no others say it’s terrible that I didn’t qt him. So little accurate info would be amazing :)

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small/Medium juvie emperor angel
Medium/Large French angel
Medium queen angel

Thoughts on housing the three in a 250deep?

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tangs in a 100g?

kole eye
yellow tang
and a bristletooth of some kind

too many, would they get along if introduced at the same time, would likely be my last fishs for the tank, possible thoughts of a bluejaw trigger at some point

current stock-
midas blenny
firefish
3 dartfish
3 anthias
flasher wrasse
2 snowflake clowns
watchman goby
foxface

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang for a 125? Looking for friendly personality. Tank mates will be dwarf angelfish, yellow longnose butterfly and a kleini butterfly if all make it thru quarantine. No fish in tank yet. Fowler tank with macro algae growing well. Tank is set up since April and has been empty of fish since July 7th. I had a ich problem from not quarantining the algae. I lost both my tangs a naso tang (that I loved) and a mimic tang. I know now that this tank is too small for a naso tang. Anyone have suggestions?

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tangs in a 100g?

kole eye
yellow tang

too many, would they get along if introduced at the same time, would likely be my last fishs for the tank, possible thoughts of a bluejaw trigger at some point

current stock-
midas blenny
firefish
3 dartfish
3 anthias
flasher wrasse
2 snowflake clowns
watchman goby
foxface
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I have been reading & researching diligently. I have some personal experience with a very small picasso trigger. I wouldn't suggest adding any trigger fish with the fish you already have. He has bullied much larger fish than him and he was added last. I lost a foxface and a longnose butterfly to the little terror. They got injured running away. Of course all fish have different personalities but...trying to save you some heartache.

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am setting up a 60 g mixed reef cube and I am u sure of what fish to get. I have 2 clowns in QT and I’m curious what you all thought should be my next batch to get QTed

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I currently have a 40B FOWLR with a clownfish pair, a flame cardinal, a bicolor blenny and a yellow neon goby. I will be upgrading to a 65g reef sometime next year. Would I be able to safely keep more than one cardinal or more than one type of cardinal? I really like my flame cardinal, but would also like to have some of the yellow striped or orange striped cardinals as well, or a few of the threadfin cardinals, if they would all get along. I am not interested in the banggai or pajama cardinals.

gtrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have a 65g ..36” long w/ a 30g sump.
I currently have 3 bg chromis, 1 false perc, 1 Midas Blenny and a mandarin.
I’m considering getting another fish. Do you think I’m at my max?

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon FOWLR and I was thinking about replacing my 3 green chromis with 2 other fish because they have turned into absolute terrors lately. My current stock other than them is

2 ocellaris clowns
1 valentini puffer
1 tailspot blenny

With plans for a flame angel in the future. Anyone have suggestions for what I could replace them with?

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm still pretty new the saltwater. My 75g has been running for about 6 months now. Only fish I have as of now is a gold spot maroon clown. I'm thinking about a foxface or lawnmower blenny. Would these be okay with the clown? Other ideas I had was a flame angel. Would that be compatible?
I know it sounds completely ridiculous.. but if I didn't have any of those fish except my clown, would a dwarf lionfish be compatible? I've always wanted one

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 gallon reef. So far I have ..

2 gladiator clowns
1 purple firefish
1 firefish
Diamond goby
Blue pygmy angel
One spot foxface
Cleaner shrimp
Yellow banded wrasse in QT

Tank has been up since march.
Next I'm thinking a flamehawkfish,anthias, and 2 tangs. In the end I want a blue throat trigger.
I want more swimmers.

Any other suggestions?
Those should work.

Melanurus, redline or yellow coris wrasse are all hardy, colorful, and active.
Working on a stocking plan for my red sea max s-400 (100g display, 15g sump) reef tank. Still have the oversized stock skimmer, so should be able to handle any load. Mostly intend to keep softies and LPS, mostly easy stuff planned.

Currently I have a small CUC that I probably need to increase. 4 turbos, 5 nassarius, 10 hermit crabs. Not sure how many more I should aim for. I don't want peppermint shrimp, bad experience in the past with them.

I have 2 ocellaris clowns that hopefully are becoming forever friends. Added 5 days ago and are never apart.

Planning on:
  • Yellow tang
  • Sixline wrasse (Not until I get a lid)
  • Blenny - Starry or bicolor
Interested in some combination of these, not all of them of course..but I'm not totally sure what the right number is. (bolded ones are my faves)
  • Dottyback - bicolor or orchid
  • Banggai Cardinalfish
  • Flame angel
  • Copperband Butterflyfish - Heard they were good about eating stuff. Worried that LiveAquaria marks them as "difficult"
  • Coral Beauty
  • Dwarf lionfish
  • Powder blue tang - Really want some blue in the tank but I know two tangs is probably not ok since I don't have the long tank. Don't like chromis or blue damsels. Certainly open to the idea of getting a small one and selling him once he gets large, or I guess I'd go with the coral beauty instead.
  • Spotted puffer
  • Goby & pistol shrimp duo
Very open to suggestions. This is my second reef tank, biggest one I've ever owned. I was thinking that my next addition would probably be the blenny. Everyone will be quarantined before being added in my 20g qt tank. Or should I be getting more clean up crew next?
Sixlines are often problematic, becoming very aggressive.

Bicolor dottybacks are very aggressive. Orchids are much more peaceful.

Copperbands are hit and miss as far as eating aiptasia, and they often refuse foods offered.

In that size tank choose either the flame angel or coral beauty, not both. They may also nip at corals.

Powder blue tangs are too big, active, and aggressive for that size tank.

A puffer will eat your cuc.
Is it a bad idea to put an algae (lawnmower) blenny into a 72 gallon bow with an existing black sailfin blenny?
Yes. It most likely will not work out.
ok, I've read too many horror stories on here about the sixline so I'm going to attempt to catch him and give him the boot so I can get me an orchid dottyback. Will the dottyback be ok with a christmas wrasse or a melanarus wrasse if they both go in at the same time?
Should be fine.

Would the Atlantic longnose butterfly be akin to a copperband butterfly in they are fairly reef safe but hopefully eat aiptasia. Want a smaller easier to care for substitute.
They are more likely to eat the foods you offer, but less likely to eat aiptasia.

red sea xl 425 mixed reef
current stock:
3 chack basslets
sailfin blenny
springeri damsel
purple firefish
flame wrasse
longnose hawkfish
mc cosker wrasse
want to add red line wrasse and some other active fish. maybe anthias?
my lfs has dispar and fathead now. which one would work? different?
Redline wrasse should fit in nicely.

Either anthias will work. Dispars do better in a group, fathead is fine kept singly.
So I am wanting to put in a flametail blenny in my tank. I have a 75 gallon with the listed stocking:

1 yellow tang
1 midas blenny
2 ocellaris clowns
1 leopard wrasse

I'm mostly concerned about the midas not getting along with a flametail though. Is there much aggression between the two? The bio load in my tank is pretty low, so I'm not concerned about that. I'd also like to add a couple yellow coris wrasses and about 4 or 5 dispar anthias.
I would be concerned about aggression between the blennies.

Yellow coris wrasse is fine, but only get 1.

Dispars will be great.

Hello,

So I think most of you know but I have a 240 gallon tank that’s been up and going for almost 10 months and doing good. Yesterday I purchased a ladder goby and he was fine the first hour in my tank and was left alone and started to sift sand. But I havnt seen him all day so not sure if that’s normal or bad.

I have done research on them but it’s so conflicting and vague at times. Some say the 240 is way to big and I have about a three inch to four inch sand bed. He is my first but want my sand to be beautiful again.

Yes I panic when I don’t see my fish or something I should see so not sure what to do. Since my tank is 10 months old I know I have more than enough things for him to munch on. Others have said to add other goby or another type. Some say they are very hearty and others say very sensitive.

My concern is my lfs said you can’t qt these because they will starve no others say it’s terrible that I didn’t qt him. So little accurate info would be amazing :)
A 240g is not too big.

They build a den or two the first couple of days, so he may be working on that. However, if you don't see him after a couple of days, that would be concerning. They are accomplished jumpers and frequently end up in overflows and sumps.
Small/Medium juvie emperor angel
Medium/Large French angel
Medium queen angel

Thoughts on housing the three in a 250deep?
Even though the tank is large, these are 3 fish that get big and have a lot of attitude. It is possible, but be prepared to seperate them if need be.

3 tangs in a 100g?

kole eye
yellow tang

current stock-
midas blenny
firefish
3 dartfish
3 anthias
flasher wrasse
2 snowflake clowns
watchman goby
foxface
100g is too small for 3 tangs. Choose 1.

Tang for a 125? Looking for friendly personality. Tank mates will be dwarf angelfish, yellow longnose butterfly and a kleini butterfly if all make it thru quarantine. No fish in tank yet. Fowler tank with macro algae growing well. Tank is set up since April and has been empty of fish since July 7th. I had a ich problem from not quarantining the algae. I lost both my tangs a naso tang (that I loved) and a mimic tang. I know now that this tank is too small for a naso tang. Anyone have suggestions?
I am a fan of mimic and convict tangs.

Hi all, I am setting up a 60 g mixed reef cube and I am u sure of what fish to get. I have 2 clowns in QT and I’m curious what you all thought should be my next batch to get QTed
Any fish you are particularly drawn to?

Hello. I currently have a 40B FOWLR with a clownfish pair, a flame cardinal, a bicolor blenny and a yellow neon goby. I will be upgrading to a 65g reef sometime next year. Would I be able to safely keep more than one cardinal or more than one type of cardinal? I really like my flame cardinal, but would also like to have some of the yellow striped or orange striped cardinals as well, or a few of the threadfin cardinals, if they would all get along. I am not interested in the banggai or pajama cardinals.
Different species of cardinals mix just fine.
Hello!
I have a 65g ..36” long w/ a 30g sump.
I currently have 3 bg chromis, 1 false perc, 1 Midas Blenny and a mandarin.
I’m considering getting another fish. Do you think I’m at my max?
If your parameters are good and there isn't aggression, it should be fine, depending on the species.
I have a 45 gallon FOWLR and I was thinking about replacing my 3 green chromis with 2 other fish because they have turned into absolute terrors lately. My current stock other than them is

2 ocellaris clowns
1 valentini puffer
1 tailspot blenny

With plans for a flame angel in the future. Anyone have suggestions for what I could replace them with?
Royal gramma, yellow assessor, chalk bass.

Hello,
I'm still pretty new the saltwater. My 75g has been running for about 6 months now. Only fish I have as of now is a gold spot maroon clown. I'm thinking about a foxface or lawnmower blenny. Would these be okay with the clown? Other ideas I had was a flame angel. Would that be compatible?
I know it sounds completely ridiculous.. but if I didn't have any of those fish except my clown, would a dwarf lionfish be compatible? I've always wanted one
Maroon clowns are very aggressive. You may find that after awhile it will claim half the space.

The species you mentioned should be fine though.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had horrible luck with quarantining royal grammas. I've already tried twice but they both ended up having ich and one of them had flukes as well and they didn't make it through. Might try a chalk bass this time around. I like the colors on them and they seem pretty peaceful.

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Copperbands are hit and miss as far as eating aiptasia, and they often refuse foods offered.

In that size tank choose either the flame angel or coral beauty, not both. They may also nip at corals.

Thank you! Done some more research and changed my list up a bit.

Current: 2 Ocellaris clowns, 1 starry blenny. Sixline is in QT, haven't decided for sure that he's going in.

Next: Foxface, clown goby, royal gramma.

Eventually: Tang, and something blue. I will find something blue.

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had horrible luck with quarantining royal grammas. I've already tried twice but they both ended up having ich and one of them had flukes as well and they didn't make it through. Might try a chalk bass this time around. I like the colors on them and they seem pretty peaceful.

Royal Gramma was the first fish I tried to quarantine and he didn't make it. Total spaz in the tank too...freaked out every time the lights came on...never could get him eating.

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those should work.

Melanurus, redline or yellow coris wrasse are all hardy, colorful, and active.

Yes. It most likely will not work out.

Should be fine.

They are more likely to eat the foods you offer, but less likely to eat aiptasia.

Redline wrasse should fit in nicely.

Either anthias will work. Dispars do better in a group, fathead is fine kept singly.

I would be concerned about aggression between the blennies.

Yellow coris wrasse is fine, but only get 1.

Dispars will be great.

A 240g is not too big.

They build a den or two the first couple of days, so he may be working on that. However, if you don't see him after a couple of days, that would be concerning. They are accomplished jumpers and frequently end up in overflows and sumps.

Even though the tank is large, these are 3 fish that get big and have a lot of attitude. It is possible, but be prepared to seperate them if need be.

100g is too small for 3 tangs. Choose 1.

I am a fan of mimic and convict tangs.

Any fish you are particularly drawn to?

Different species of cardinals mix just fine.

If your parameters are good and there isn't aggression, it should be fine, depending on the species.

Maroon clowns are very aggressive. You may find that after awhile it will claim half the space.

The species you mentioned should be fine though.
Not particularly , just want compatible fish that look nice and for me to keep them healthy !:)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Done some more research and changed my list up a bit.

Current: 2 Ocellaris clowns, 1 starry blenny. Sixline is in QT, haven't decided for sure that he's going in.

Next: Foxface, clown goby, royal gramma.

Eventually: Tang, and something blue. I will find something blue.
Springeri damsels are very well behaved and blue. Watanabi angels are probably a little too big, but a better choice than a powder blue.
Not particularly , just want compatible fish that look nice and for me to keep them healthy !:)
There are a lot of good options.

Royal gramma, flame or longnose hawkfish, purple tilefish, yellow coris wrasses, redline wrasses, melanurus wrasse, midas blenny, to name a few.

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springeri damsels are very well behaved and blue. Watanabi angels are probably a little too big, but a better choice than a powder blue.

There are a lot of good options.

Royal gramma, flame or longnose hawkfish, purple tilefish, yellow coris wrasses, redline wrasses, melanurus wrasse, midas blenny, to name a few.
Thank you, I feel lazy for asking a general question like that. I will do my research with your suggestions, appreciate it!

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there I’m new to the hobby and have been stalking forums for a couple of months now. Cycled a tank now building cuc. I chose to startup with a 65 gallons with high hopes of slowly upgrading as I get used to this new hobby and maintenance schedule it requires. Here’s the thing... It’s very easy to get discouraged by tank size requirements as reading many posts has led me to think the size of my entire apartment isn’t suited to house a single foxface. Anyway here’s my question: how long can I house a baby yellow tang in a 65g before upgrading to a 150 gallon in a house with two bathrooms and a garage? Thanks :)

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derp

2D6D7566-EF93-4D57-BF2D-38D113D6444E.jpeg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back