Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

crabbydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they do, it’s doubtful they would have an impact on the population as they tend to stay near the burrow.

My last pistol shrimp goby has tunnels covering 3 feet of the 4 foot tank. With openings in 4 spots. Amazing how the shrimp would open and buried a door/hole every other hour it seemed.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72x22x15 100 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump, thinking of making it a 30/40 gallon sump. Could I put a powder blue/purple tang since it’s a 6ft tank? my rock work will be minimal to optimize swim room, the tank has been set up for 22 years I’m just going to take a lot of that rock and put into sump chamber. Current stocking is 2 leopard wrasse. Tailspot blenny starry blenny aiptasia file fish yellow tang and clownfish par. If i remove the yellow tang could it work? I’m buying tank from local reefer who is moving cross country and can’t take tank with them.

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So my tank has been up and running for about 1 weeks now, I used Fritz Zyme after I got the water and salinity up to where it was needed.

I have been ghost feeding, and my water levels are 0.00-0.25 amonia, 0 nitrites, 5ppm nitrates
I used dry rock and live sand. My tank is 110 gallons with 30 gallon sump. I used enough Fritz zyme to cure 130 gallons. My question is, should I be okay to add fish now? If so. What kind should I do? I know eventually I want a purple Tang, a clam, and a Mandarin, but I'm mainly wanting a mixed reef, but softies catch my eye the most. As for fish I just want something to compliment and be colorful to catch people's eye. So what would be a good fish or 2 to start? (I haven't added any cuc and don't appear to have any algea growing) I don't want them to starve and die.

Should I just add cuc first? Or should I get a fish or a pair and go from there.

My tank is a 110T , check out my build thread for pictures if it would help you get any better ideas!

jonneyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder with 20 sump, I have a pair of clowns, a flasher wrasse, a chalk bass, a chromis, and a cave golby. I would like to add a mollie miller blenny. Any trouble especially with the golby? He has been in since the start about 3 years.

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe filefish?

How hard are reef safe filefish to come by? What are the odds a normal filefish isn’t interested in nipping at corals? 50/50?

Asking because I think they’re cute little ugly ducklings, but I have sps/lps

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, I'm not planning on getting one, but is there any reason a single anthias (excluding big species like lyretails and others of similar size) couldn't be kept in a 45 gallon tank? It just seems so strange that such small fish require so much space. Are they territorial?
It depends on the species, but for the most part smaller anthias are more social, so won't thrive without others. The species that can be fine singly can be a little more assertive with other planktivores. Anthias also need frequent feedings and this can affect water quality.

On a similar note does a pistol shrimp and goby eat pods. Every tank that I have had with a pistol shrimp goby combo seems to have less pods than tanks without them? Do pods live in th substrate?
Pods do live in the substrate, and a goby and shrimp will eat them, but will only have a moderate impact.

72x22x15 100 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump, thinking of making it a 30/40 gallon sump. Could I put a powder blue/purple tang since it’s a 6ft tank? my rock work will be minimal to optimize swim room, the tank has been set up for 22 years I’m just going to take a lot of that rock and put into sump chamber. Current stocking is 2 leopard wrasse. Tailspot blenny starry blenny aiptasia file fish yellow tang and clownfish par. If i remove the yellow tang could it work? I’m buying tank from local reefer who is moving cross country and can’t take tank with them.
Only 1 tang in a 100g tank. A powder blue is too big and aggressive for that tank.
Hello! So my tank has been up and running for about 1 weeks now, I used Fritz Zyme after I got the water and salinity up to where it was needed.

I have been ghost feeding, and my water levels are 0.00-0.25 amonia, 0 nitrites, 5ppm nitrates
I used dry rock and live sand. My tank is 110 gallons with 30 gallon sump. I used enough Fritz zyme to cure 130 gallons. My question is, should I be okay to add fish now? If so. What kind should I do? I know eventually I want a purple Tang, a clam, and a Mandarin, but I'm mainly wanting a mixed reef, but softies catch my eye the most. As for fish I just want something to compliment and be colorful to catch people's eye. So what would be a good fish or 2 to start? (I haven't added any cuc and don't appear to have any algea growing) I don't want them to starve and die.

Should I just add cuc first? Or should I get a fish or a pair and go from there.

My tank is a 110T , check out my build thread for pictures if it would help you get any better ideas!
If there isn't any algae get fish before cuc. Choose something relatively hardy and peaceful, such as a gramma, assessor, or chalk bass.
I have a 40 breeder with 20 sump, I have a pair of clowns, a flasher wrasse, a chalk bass, a chromis, and a cave golby. I would like to add a mollie miller blenny. Any trouble especially with the golby? He has been in since the start about 3 years.
Molly millers can be pretty aggressive in small tanks. Consider a midas or stigmatura blenny instead.

Reef safe filefish?

How hard are reef safe filefish to come by? What are the odds a normal filefish isn’t interested in nipping at corals? 50/50?

Asking because I think they’re cute little ugly ducklings, but I have sps/lps
I have found that even the supposedly reef-safe species can still be a risk to some corals. They are easy to come by and quite hardy.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty good. The only changes I would suggest are getting the gramma in before the dottyback.

I would also be conserned about the flameback and the cherub, they are very closely related.

That tank is a little small for multiple Halichoeres, but chrysus and biocellatus are both are peaceful, so it should be ok.

sorry to keep bugging you, I promise this is my last question :D

I'm sold on biocellatus, but thinking the chrysus with my midas will be a lot of slender yellow.. could I do iridis, claudia, or cosmetus with the biocellatus?

thanks again man, i really appreciate your advice

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to keep bugging you, I promise this is my last question :D

I'm sold on biocellatus, but thinking the chrysus with my midas will be a lot of slender yellow.. could I do iridis, claudia, or cosmetus with the biocellatus?

thanks again man, i really appreciate your advice
Any of those would work.

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a lot of research on Coral Beauty angels and some say 30 gallon tanks, some say 55 gallons, and so on. But I've also heard of some success keeping them in 20 gallons. So here is my question, my only current livestock in my 20 gallon is an ocellaris clown, emerald crab, trochus snail, a few dwarf cerith snails, an umbrella leather coral, two different zoas (5+ polyps each), green star polyps, some mushrooms, Kenya tree coral, Xenia, and some palythoas, is a Coral Beauty compatible for this tank? If it is it would be the last thing I add (besides a frogspawn and maybe hammer coral) Or is the 20 gallon too small? It's 24" long. I know CBs love caves and live rock and I have about 26 lbs of live rock that make multiple caves but still leave open space to swim in.

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a lot of research on Coral Beauty angels and some say 30 gallon tanks, some say 55 gallons, and so on. But I've also heard of some success keeping them in 20 gallons. So here is my question, my only current livestock in my 20 gallon is an ocellaris clown, emerald crab, trochus snail, a few dwarf cerith snails, an umbrella leather coral, two different zoas (5+ polyps each), green star polyps, some mushrooms, Kenya tree coral, Xenia, and some palythoas, is a Coral Beauty compatible for this tank? If it is it would be the last thing I add (besides a frogspawn and maybe hammer coral) Or is the 20 gallon too small? It's 24" long. I know CBs love caves and live rock and I have about 26 lbs of live rock that make multiple caves but still leave open space to swim in.
It is too small IMO. I know it’s tempting to get the fish you want. Coming from a girl that put a less than 2 inch oscellaris clown in a 13.5g tank and currently feels real bad about it. I trust most people will do what they want regardless of what others say. I also trust that people who get in this hobby care enough about marine life to do the right thing in the end ;)

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is too small IMO. I know it’s tempting to get the fish you want. Coming from a girl that put a less than 2 inch oscellaris clown in a 13.5g tank and currently feels real bad about it. I trust most people will do what they want regardless of what others say. I also trust that people who get in this hobby care enough about marine life to do the right thing in the end ;)
Thanks for the quick reply :) I figured it was too small, I just knew it couldn't hurt to ask. They have a small one at my LFS that I absolutely love. I'm about to start setting up my 30 gallon which in upgrading this tank to, but it probably won't be for a few months. I guess I'll just have to wait till then. I don't want to get it now with plans to upgrade and then not end up upgrading

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply :) I figured it was too small, I just knew it couldn't hurt to ask. They have a small one at my LFS that I absolutely love. I'm about to start setting up my 30 gallon which in upgrading this tank to, but it probably won't be for a few months. I guess I'll just have to wait till then. I don't want to get it now with plans to upgrade and then not end up upgrading
That is wise. Though isn’t it hard to not just keep upgrading? If you want to have some fun I’d suggest a 4 feet long tank. Skipping smaller ones will save you money in the end. Rocks and sand can be expensive but you can always make up for not having enough rock with having tons of ceramic rings which are pretty cheap. Also seachem’s matrix is worth looking into. Of course a sump really is required for peace of mind. I do know someone who’s been successful with a canister + skimmer on a 90g. He even had a healthy blue hippo tang in there but the hob Skimmer was truly an eyesore.

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is wise. Though isn’t it hard to not just keep upgrading? If you want to have some fun I’d suggest a 4 feet long tank. Skipping smaller ones will save you money in the end. Rocks and sand can be expensive but you can always make up for not having enough rock with having tons of ceramic rings which are pretty cheap. Also seachem’s matrix is worth looking into. Of course a sump really is required for peace of mind. I do know someone who’s been successful with a canister + skimmer on a 90g. He even had a healthy blue hippo tang in there but the hob Skimmer was truly an eyesore.
Haha yeah I would love to just go big but I'm in college and can't get too large of one sadly

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what Nyx says plus it might nip at your corals. If you’re looking for a blue alternative you could go with a neon blue goby or a black clown goby (they’re blue-ish)

Annelise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello! So I have a 10g nano with 3 hermits, 4 snails (I think the nasarrius is being eaten by the blue legged hermits, lol) I have some GSP, pulsing xenia and an can frag along with a fire fish. I also have lots of isopods, yay! But nobody is eating them, lol. Whats another fish I can add to this small tank to help with the isopods, hopefully one that shows itself a lot? Thanks.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello! So I have a 10g nano with 3 hermits, 4 snails (I think the nasarrius is being eaten by the blue legged hermits, lol) I have some GSP, pulsing xenia and an can frag along with a fire fish. I also have lots of isopods, yay! But nobody is eating them, lol. Whats another fish I can add to this small tank to help with the isopods, hopefully one that shows itself a lot? Thanks.

The only one that I can think of that will eat pods, show itself, and not attack your firefish, is a pink streaked wrasse or possum wrasse. However 10 gallons is really pushing it. I hope you have a lot of swimming space and prepared if things don't work as well. After that i believe your tank will be stocked.
If your crabs are attacking your snails its because they are hungry or in need of a shell.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back