Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Annelise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only one that I can think of that will eat pods, show itself, and not attack your firefish, is a pink streaked wrasse or possum wrasse. However 10 gallons is really pushing it. I hope you have a lot of swimming space and prepared if things don't work as well. After that i believe your tank will be stocked.
If your crabs are attacking your snails its because they are hungry or in need of a shell.
theres plenty of food and extra shells in there! :( I've thought about a erase, but I don't know if I really like the look of them.. Is it imperative for the pods to be kept to a minimum??

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres plenty of food and extra shells in there! :( I've thought about a erase, but I don't know if I really like the look of them.. Is it imperative for the pods to be kept to a minimum??

No pods will regulate their own numbers depending on food availability. Perhaps a small damsel? The "nicest" ones are yellowtail, azure, and Springer's damsel. Unlike the wrasses these damsels will be slightly more agressive to your firefish.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pods will regulate their own numbers depending on food availability. Perhaps a small damsel? The "nicest" ones are yellowtail, azure, and Springer's damsel. Unlike the wrasses these damsels will be slightly more agressive to your firefish.

Azure damsel should not bother your firefish. Springerri will.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a lot of research on Coral Beauty angels and some say 30 gallon tanks, some say 55 gallons, and so on. But I've also heard of some success keeping them in 20 gallons. So here is my question, my only current livestock in my 20 gallon is an ocellaris clown, emerald crab, trochus snail, a few dwarf cerith snails, an umbrella leather coral, two different zoas (5+ polyps each), green star polyps, some mushrooms, Kenya tree coral, Xenia, and some palythoas, is a Coral Beauty compatible for this tank? If it is it would be the last thing I add (besides a frogspawn and maybe hammer coral) Or is the 20 gallon too small? It's 24" long. I know CBs love caves and live rock and I have about 26 lbs of live rock that make multiple caves but still leave open space to swim in.
30g is still too small, 20g is way too small. The absolute minimum for a coral beauty would be a 40b. They are a pretty active fish and get to a decent size.
hello! So I have a 10g nano with 3 hermits, 4 snails (I think the nasarrius is being eaten by the blue legged hermits, lol) I have some GSP, pulsing xenia and an can frag along with a fire fish. I also have lots of isopods, yay! But nobody is eating them, lol. Whats another fish I can add to this small tank to help with the isopods, hopefully one that shows itself a lot? Thanks.
Pink streak and possum wrasses are excellent choices. Some Chrysiptera damsels will work, such as talbot, rolland's, springeri, and azure. Plectranthias will eat them as well.
Pods are fine. No need to regulate them yourself.
Azure damsel should not bother your firefish. Springerri will.
[/QUOTE]
I have found springeri to be better behaved than azure, though both are quite peaceful for damsels.

lo sarg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I am new to the hobby and just bought a 75g tank. I was hoping to get some advice on some cool looking reef safe fish. I wanted a couple clowns for sure and maybe some tangs, but not sure which ones are reef safe. Thanks!
Me too!!!! Following along with you!

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 36 gallon bow front with a 10 gallon sump, total water volume is probably around 40 gallons. I have 2 perculas that are paired up and one 4 stripe damsel. Im thinking about getting a yellow coris wrasse. What's everyone's thoughts? Will it work out? Tank is about 2 years old and I have a 2" sand bed. Thanks in advance.

marcus aurelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a large purple tang also a yellow eye tangs in my 125. With some other small fish. Question is that could I add a maculiceps tang.

osvaldogarza21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i have a 30 galon cube with 2 clown fish, was wondering if i can add a 6 line wrasse and a green wrasse together? Would they fight each other or would they be peaceful? i was reading green wrasse are peaceful any help would be great before i make any purchase.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I am new to the hobby and just bought a 75g tank. I was hoping to get some advice on some cool looking reef safe fish. I wanted a couple clowns for sure and maybe some tangs, but not sure which ones are reef safe. Thanks!
The only tang I would put in a 75 gallon would be a kole tang, a bristletooth tang, or a tomini tang. All the other tangs require 120+ gallons with a lot of swimming room. Some other good looking reef safe fish would be a royal gramma basslet, a chalk bass, a fairy wrasse of some sort, a cardinalfish pair, any dartfish, any goby, and a one spot foxface just to give you some examples

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i have a 30 galon cube with 2 clown fish, was wondering if i can add a 6 line wrasse and a green wrasse together? Would they fight each other or would they be peaceful? i was reading green wrasse are peaceful any help would be great before i make any purchase.
Green wrasses get pretty big so I would pass on that fish for a 30 gallon. And a 6 line wrasse will try to fight just about anything. If you haven’t already purchased that one I would get a pink-streaked wrasse instead. They’re a little less colorful, but they’re much more peaceful and tolerant of other tank mates.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a large purple tang also a yellow eye tangs in my 125. With some other small fish. Question is that could I add a maculiceps tang.
Maculiceps tangs get absolutely gigantic, reaching well over a foot long. If you have filtration that can tolerate something that big and if you are very confident in your fish keeping abilities, go for it, but I think it would be better off in a 180 gallon tank.

gtrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have a 65g with a 30g sump...mixed reef
I have a reef octopus octo essence 130 skimmer and a fuge with calpera

current fish:
3 bg chromis
midas blenny
false perc

Do you think it would be okay to get another fish?

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have a 65g with a 30g sump...mixed reef
I have a reef octopus octo essence 130 skimmer and a fuge with calpera

current fish:
3 bg chromis
midas blenny
false perc

Do you think it would be okay to get another fish?
Absolutely

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening!
I just got a melanarus wrasse a week ago and it comes out only when lights are off in the daytime. When lights are on it’s nowhere to be found. Is this normal?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Right Fish or NOt ?

2 Purpleback pseudochromis
Pepermint shrimp
royal gramma
Yellow Tang
Firefish Goby
Bicolor Angelfish
Sixline Wrasse
2 clownfish

GRAMMA AND PURPLE BACK MAY BE A RISK. PLACE YELLOW TANG IN LAST

Last edited:

baslewprime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have a 40g only softies
skimmer rated to 60g

current fish:
2 clownfish
1 firefish
1 starry blenny

its ok to add a lemon peel angel and a small chromi? or lemon peel with six line wrasse

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening!
I just got a melanarus wrasse a week ago and it comes out only when lights are off in the daytime. When lights are on it’s nowhere to be found. Is this normal?

Yes that is normal. He is just adjusting his biological clock. He will realize when it's day and night sooner or later.

Hello!
I have a 40g only softies
skimmer rated to 60g

current fish:
2 clownfish
1 firefish
1 starry blenny

its ok to add a lemon peel angel and a small chromi? or lemon peel with six line wrasse

40 gallons may be too small for a lemonpeel. A 40 long isnt wide enough and a 40 breeder is to short. How about a flameback, cherub and the like? Six lines can be aggressive.

Falconsrise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about order to add fish
Looking at
Clown pair around 6mo
Sand sifting goby
potters angel
Coral beauty/keyhole angel
Green chromisx3
Yellow tang
Bristletooth two spot tang
Possibly a fairy wrasse
Looking to add 1 fish/mo and doing coral after 4-6 mo.

I have a Red Sea 350 for setup

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is normal. He is just adjusting his biological clock. He will realize when it's day and night sooner or later.

Thanks you very much!!!

40 gallons may be too small for a lemonpeel. A 40 long isnt wide enough and a 40 breeder is to short. How about a flameback, cherub and the like? Six lines can be aggressive.

Falconsrise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about which order to add fish
New Red Sea 350 Reef tank
Looking at
Chromisx3
Small clown pair at maybe 6 mo with anemone
Banded pajama cardinal
Potter’s angel
Coral beauty/keyhole angel
Sand sifting goby
Yellow tang
Bristletooth two spot tang
Possibly a fairy wrase

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back