Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Wannabemediocre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each tank is different, but it should be fine. Just test parameters frequently.

Great - thank you so much for taking the time to respond numerous times!

6DE18B3E-3B0A-4B8F-B0DD-CAC89589FD68.gif

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strawberry dottybacks are pretty aggressive, so can be problematic in smaller tanks. Problems can be exacerbated when other aggressive or semi-aggressive species are involved.

The tank with the sebaes may have issues, as they get pretty big for clowns.

Thanks for the response!

I was going to put the dottyback into my 220, but it has... brook problems... So nothing new is going in that tank for a while...

I do have a 90 gallon with a couple percs, yellow tail damsel, two engineer gobies and a sand sifter. Would it work well in there?

In regards to the sabaes, they are pretty small right now, as they get bigger I"ll upgrade them to a new tank. I really like them, so if they do get big (for clowns), then I wouldn't be against putting them into my 220 in a couple years... Then I could get a nice carpet anemone for them... hmm....

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all... I would ideally have a Clown pair with anemone hosting. My main question is... what else can i have with such a setup?

Tank is a 75Gal. hopefully some form of reef. Probably mixed to some extent. I have a 30 gal sump and plan on a refugium in one end of it.

Just trying to get a feel for what my options are with my clown/anemone combo.

A few thoughts are .... some sort of blenny.... flame angel..... kole tang.... maybe a few small schooling type fish.

Im brand new to the saltwater side of aquariums... fairly experienced in freshwater.

Any input is welcome :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 is tight, but doable for the Kole - remember that the anemone (hosting 'nems can get pretty big) will take up a decent amount of real estate, denying that space as swimming room for the tang. Blenny, angel, smaller wrasses, gobies - with and without shrimp - smaller anthias for shoaling (we don't really get true schooling among the fish we keep - not even to the extent of rummynose tetras in FW). I think you could have some fun - and some corals too! (Though the flame angel _may_ nip...)

~Bruce

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a 125 softie/lps/nem tank. No corals yet. Still tinkering with the setup and letting it mature.

Current stocklist
Tahitian butterflyfish
pinkbar goby w/tiger pistol shrimp
orange spotted rabbitfish(tiny)
Blood red cleaner shrimp.

In QT
Pearly jawfish
canary blennie
starry blennie

Once QT tank is available the next fish will be a leopard wrasse of some type as well as another butterflyfish.
Trying to decide on whether to go with a Copperband Butterflyfish or an Atlantic longnose or a lemon. I'm thinking the lemon is least likely to be coral safe.

Any thoughts?

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 is tight, but doable for the Kole - remember that the anemone (hosting 'nems can get pretty big) will take up a decent amount of real estate, denying that space as swimming room for the tang. Blenny, angel, smaller wrasses, gobies - with and without shrimp - smaller anthias for shoaling (we don't really get true schooling among the fish we keep - not even to the extent of rummynose tetras in FW). I think you could have some fun - and some corals too! (Though the flame angel _may_ nip...)

~Bruce

Thank you, I had not considered the Anemone size.... hmmmm Id rather scratch the Kole then. Id hate to force one into an unhappy situation. So that opens things up :)

OneFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So I had a long term pair of clowns - personally for over a year, and bought them from a guy who had them together for over 2 years. I have also had a 6 line wrasse for about a year. Recently, the female clown killed the male :( now the wrasse and female clown seem to be buddy buddy and interact with each other daily (secretly hoping for the first clown/wrasse babies haha).... anyways, what are my options on trying to pair up the female again and how would I go about doing that? Also, are six lines as aggressive as people say? I don't want the wrasse picking on the new clown either. Thanks in advance!

(Tank is 22g)

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally not have a pair of clowns and a six line in a 22. Not big enough to diffuse aggression. Even Liveaquaria suggests at least a 30 gallon tank.
I would remove the six line before adding another clown back in.
Hello all,

So I had a long term pair of clowns - personally for over a year, and bought them from a guy who had them together for over 2 years. I have also had a 6 line wrasse for about a year. Recently, the female clown killed the male :( now the wrasse and female clown seem to be buddy buddy and interact with each other daily (secretly hoping for the first clown/wrasse babies haha).... anyways, what are my options on trying to pair up the female again and how would I go about doing that? Also, are six lines as aggressive as people say? I don't want the wrasse picking on the new clown either. Thanks in advance!

(Tank is 22g)

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to find a small clownfish.
Hello all,

(Tank is 22g)

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. So I’m starting a 180g. Just starting a fish list. It will be a reef tank with any luck. And I would also very much like a clam and a mandarin after the tank has matured (1+yrs). Let me know what you think of this list please?
Trio or single lyretail anthias
3-5 blue green chromis
Pair of firefish
Lawnmower blenny
YWG and pistol shrimp
Gold spot rabbitfish
Maybe a CBB but I would rather have the clam
TANGS:
Naso
Desjardini sailfin
Lieutenant OR orange shoulder
WRASSE:
Red tail tamarin
Exquisite fairy
McCoskers flasher
Dusky
Rainbow
Any suggestions on list or order introduced is very appropriate thank you!

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I was hoping to get advice on my proposed stock list and planning the order and frequency in which I add the fish. I like to try to plan ahead and have a general idea of my goals before the work begins.

So my plan, after my tank cycles, is to purchase two Gladiator Clown fish and enter them directly into my 50 Gallon display tank. It's a SCA 50G PNP so I know the sump adds a little more water capacity.

After I buy the clown fish I plan to wait one month to purchase any other fish. I am assuming no need for a quarantine tank at this point as they will be the two first fish I add. I do have a 20 gallon on standby for QT just in case.

Then the next step would be to purchase one fish at a time...Maybe two if that's OK? And quarantine them for 30 days. Observation method is what I'm leaning towards. Then move said fish over to the DT, rinse and repeat.
2x Gladiator Clown
1x Starcki Damsel
1x Jawfish, Blue Dot
1x Six Line Wrasse
1x Flame Angelfish
1x Clown Goby, Green

I initially had the below in mind but according to http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisorMarine.php it seemed I would have compatibility issues with aggression.
1x Exquisite Firefish
1x Yellow Prawn Goby

I plan to do 10% water changes weekly, religiously.

Aqadvisor puts the 7 above fish at a 85% stocking level. This will take place over six months or so. Any suggestions? I plan to have 45 pounds of reefsaver live rock to start with. FOWLR to begin with. Is this a good plan? I'm open to any suggestions.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a 125 softie/lps/nem tank. No corals yet. Still tinkering with the setup and letting it mature.

Current stocklist
Tahitian butterflyfish
pinkbar goby w/tiger pistol shrimp
orange spotted rabbitfish(tiny)
Blood red cleaner shrimp.

In QT
Pearly jawfish
canary blennie
starry blennie

Once QT tank is available the next fish will be a leopard wrasse of some type as well as another butterflyfish.
Trying to decide on whether to go with a Copperband Butterflyfish or an Atlantic longnose or a lemon. I'm thinking the lemon is least likely to be coral safe.

Any thoughts?
The lemon is not reef safe, the 2 others are safer, but still may pose a risk to some sessile inverts.
Hello. So I’m starting a 180g. Just starting a fish list. It will be a reef tank with any luck. And I would also very much like a clam and a mandarin after the tank has matured (1+yrs). Let me know what you think of this list please?
Trio or single lyretail anthias
3-5 blue green chromis
Pair of firefish
Lawnmower blenny
YWG and pistol shrimp
Gold spot rabbitfish
Maybe a CBB but I would rather have the clam
TANGS:
Naso
Desjardini sailfin
Lieutenant OR orange shoulder
WRASSE:
Red tail tamarin
Exquisite fairy
McCoskers flasher
Dusky
Rainbow
Any suggestions on list or order introduced is very appropriate thank you!
CBB is a risk with clams.

What is the genus and species of the rainbow wrasse? There are a few species that go by that common name and most are not suitable for the species you have listed.

Dusky wrasses can be pushy toward other wrasses.
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I was hoping to get advice on my proposed stock list and planning the order and frequency in which I add the fish. I like to try to plan ahead and have a general idea of my goals before the work begins.

So my plan, after my tank cycles, is to purchase two Gladiator Clown fish and enter them directly into my 50 Gallon display tank. It's a SCA 50G PNP so I know the sump adds a little more water capacity.

After I buy the clown fish I plan to wait one month to purchase any other fish. I am assuming no need for a quarantine tank at this point as they will be the two first fish I add. I do have a 20 gallon on standby for QT just in case.

Then the next step would be to purchase one fish at a time...Maybe two if that's OK? And quarantine them for 30 days. Observation method is what I'm leaning towards. Then move said fish over to the DT, rinse and repeat.
2x Gladiator Clown
1x Starcki Damsel
1x Jawfish, Blue Dot
1x Six Line Wrasse
1x Flame Angelfish
1x Clown Goby, Green

I initially had the below in mind but according to http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisorMarine.php it seemed I would have compatibility issues with aggression.
1x Exquisite Firefish
1x Yellow Prawn Goby

I plan to do 10% water changes weekly, religiously.

Aqadvisor puts the 7 above fish at a 85% stocking level. This will take place over six months or so. Any suggestions? I plan to have 45 pounds of reefsaver live rock to start with. FOWLR to begin with. Is this a good plan? I'm open to any suggestions.
If your going to qt your fish, you will need to qt ALL your fish, even the first ones added.

Starki damsels and sixline wrasses can be pretty aggressive, and this is exasperated in a 50g tank.

Blue spot jawfish need cooler waters than are generally provided.

The firefish and prawn goby will be fine together, but will get bullied by the starki and sixline.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for y’all fish folks out there, so I’m in the process of planning a 45 gallon tank with a footprint of 2 ft by 3 ft. Proposed stocking lists would be

Halichoris Iridus or Cosmetus
C. Lubboki
Fuzzy dwarf lion fish
Starry Blenny

Or

C. Lubboki
C. Rubeus
C. Exquisitus
Yellow Candy Hogfish
Starry blenny

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for y’all fish folks out there, so I’m in the process of planning a 45 gallon tank with a footprint of 2 ft by 3 ft. Proposed stocking lists would be

C. Lubboki
Fuzzy dwarf lion fish
Starry Blenny

Or

C. Lubboki
C. Rubeus
C. Exquisitus
Yellow Candy Hogfish
Starry blenny
In scenario 1 the fuzzy dwarf will eventually be capable of eating the lubbocki.

In scenario 2 yellow candy hogfish do not play well with peaceful wrasses.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In scenario 1 the fuzzy dwarf will eventually be capable of eating the lubbocki.

In scenario 2 yellow candy hogfish do not play well with peaceful wrasses.
Thanks for the reply, I’ve never heard that yellow candy hogfish. That would have been bad if I hadn’t have known that. Would the lion fish be able to eat the larger fairy wrasses on my list? The C. Rubeus gets to three inches and so does the C. Exquisitus

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I’ve never heard that yellow candy hogfish. That would have been bad if I hadn’t have known that. Would the lion fish be able to eat the larger fairy wrasses on my list? The C. Rubeus gets to three inches and so does the C. Exquisitus
A large exquisitus should be fine, they get bigger than rubeus. I would be concerned about the rubeus.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how shy are zebra barred dartfish? can they defend themselves? it i get ones it will be a group of 3.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back