Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chalk basslet, longnose hawkfish,sailfin blenny, springeri damsel, firefish, red line wrasse and neon goby if still alive!
chalk and hawkfish can be mean for day or two...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chalk basslet, longnose hawkfish,sailfin blenny, springeri damsel, firefish, red line wrasse and neon goby if still alive!
chalk and hawkfish can be mean for day or two...
They'll be fine with those fish.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible Stocking for IM 50 lagoon!
2 black ice clowns
1 purple fire fish
2/3 lyretail anthias
1 mccoskers flasher wrasse
1 blue eyed tang? (Not sure)
1 goby (deciding)

Thanks for your time!

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 black ice clowns
1 purple fire fish
2/3 lyretail anthias
1 goby (deciding)

Thanks for your time!
No wrasse, unless you are putting a lid on it, and no tang, much to small of a tank.
Otherwise, you are fine!
@eatbreakfast

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wrasse, unless you are putting a lid on it, and no tang, much to small of a tank.
Otherwise, you are fine!
@eatbreakfast

I wasn’t sure about tang! It says 50gallon on saltwater fish.com thanks!!

Lid will be added!! Think I have a little more room for more smaller fish? I plan on having a rather large sump for nutrient extraction

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 black ice clowns
1 purple fire fish
2/3 lyretail anthias
1 goby (deciding)

Thanks for your time!
Lyretail anthias are a boisterous anthias species, so I wouldn't recommend a group for a 50g.

I also recommend against a tang in a 50g tank.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretail anthias are a boisterous anthias species, so I wouldn't recommend a group for a 50g.

I also recommend against a tang in a 50g tank.

Tang it out of the line up! I thought anthias were schooling fish or better in groups? If not those could you recommend any?

Also, do you think there’s anymore room for some more smaller fish?

Sorry for so many questions! Your time is very much appreciated

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93 cube...

Current inhabitants:
2 - Mai Thai Clowns
2 - Bangaii Cardinals
1 - Blue Green Chromis
1- Starry Blenny
1- Tailspot Blenny
1 - Yellow Corris Wrasse

I have ready to come out or QT a beautiful, albeit, small aberrant kole or Tomoni tang. He is maybe the size of a silver dollar.

End goal is he is the last fish to go into my 93. I am worried however he will be bullied by my mammoth starry blenny. This cat is mean.

Should I let the tang grow up some (I also have a 25 gallon office tank with only 2 clowns in it currently) or would it be okay to try to introduce to the tank at current size?

I’m worried if I do introduce and it doesn’t go well I would not be able to recatch the tang.

Thanks!

51D2F6D3-FCE9-4193-AEE8-D783A4CC7937.jpeg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang it out of the line up! I thought anthias were schooling fish or better in groups? If not those could you recommend any?

Also, do you think there’s anymore room for some more smaller fish?

Sorry for so many questions! Your time is very much appreciated
Dispar or randall anthias are less aggressive with each other.

You should have room for a few more smaller fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93 cube...

Current inhabitants:
2 - Mai Thai Clowns
2 - Bangaii Cardinals
1 - Blue Green Chromis
1- Starry Blenny
1- Tailspot Blenny
1 - Yellow Corris Wrasse

I have ready to come out or QT a beautiful, albeit, small aberrant kole or Tomoni tang. He is maybe the size of a silver dollar.

End goal is he is the last fish to go into my 93. I am worried however he will be bullied by my mammoth starry blenny. This cat is mean.

Should I let the tang grow up some (I also have a 25 gallon office tank with only 2 clowns in it currently) or would it be okay to try to introduce to the tank at current size?

I’m worried if I do introduce and it doesn’t go well I would not be able to recatch the tang.

Thanks!

51D2F6D3-FCE9-4193-AEE8-D783A4CC7937.jpeg
Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. I recommend letting the tang grow a little before introducing him to the main tank.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lemon is not reef safe, the 2 others are safer, but still may pose a risk to some sessile inverts.

CBB is a risk with clams.

What is the genus and species of the rainbow wrasse? There are a few species that go by that common name and most are not suitable for the species you have listed.

Dusky wrasses can be pushy toward other wrasses.

If your going to qt your fish, you will need to qt ALL your fish, even the first ones added.

Starki damsels and sixline wrasses can be pretty aggressive, and this is exasperated in a 50g tank.

Blue spot jawfish need cooler waters than are generally provided.

The firefish and prawn goby will be fine together, but will get bullied by the starki and sixline.

Thank you for responding. I didn't think about quarantining the first pair of fish. I'm not going to lie, I was a little perplexed but after reading up on a bit I guess it makes sense. The only thing I am worried about is how to know how much ammonia to dose (after the cycle is completed) to keep the DT cycled while the pair of clowns are in the QT tank. Since it will sit for 30 days unoccupied without any livestock.

Do you recommend running preventive meds or would 30 days symptom free be a pretty good indicator? Or how many days should I QT?

Everything I can find on the Jawfish shows 72-78F as the temperature range. I was planning on keeping my aquarium at 77. From what I read clown fish also have a range of 72-78F. Is this information listed incorrectly, on liveaquaria for example?

So you don't think I should get a six line wrasse or Starki Damsel?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for responding. I didn't think about quarantining the first pair of fish. I'm not going to lie, I was a little perplexed but after reading up on a bit I guess it makes sense. The only thing I am worried about is how to know how much ammonia to dose (after the cycle is completed) to keep the DT cycled while the pair of clowns are in the QT tank. Since it will sit for 30 days unoccupied without any livestock.

Do you recommend running preventive meds or would 30 days symptom free be a pretty good indicator? Or how many days should I QT?

Everything I can find on the Jawfish shows 72-78F as the temperature range. I was planning on keeping my aquarium at 77. From what I read clown fish also have a range of 72-78F. Is this information listed incorrectly, on liveaquaria for example?

So you don't think I should get a six line wrasse or Starki Damsel?
I do recommend running copper or chloroquine phosphate to eliminate the threat of velvet.

Feeding a few pellets of food a day will simulate the fish in the display and feed the bacteria.

Other jawfish will accept that temp range, but not blue spot jaws. Keeping them higher than 75 degrees greatly shortens their lives. In fact I am unaware of any living past a year above 75.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do recommend running copper or chloroquine phosphate to eliminate the threat of velvet.

Feeding a few pellets of food a day will simulate the fish in the display and feed the bacteria.

Other jawfish will accept that temp range, but not blue spot jaws. Keeping them higher than 75 degrees greatly shortens their lives. In fact I am unaware of any living past a year above 75.

Hmm Ok, so a chinstrap jawfish will probably be good then?

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank.

120 Gallon DT, 40 gal sump.

Currently have a pair of picasso’s and a midas blenny.

Wondering about adding a starry blenny next.
Coral is a few months out still. The midas has found a home in the mid level of the tank.

Too much blenny?

Thanks,
Conor

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank.

120 Gallon DT, 40 gal sump.

Currently have a pair of picasso’s and a midas blenny.

Wondering about adding a starry blenny next.
Coral is a few months out still. The midas has found a home in the mid level of the tank.

Too much blenny?

Thanks,
Conor
It should be ok, there may be some initial aggression, but that should settle down after a couple days.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own starry and midas occasionally tiff, but it's always over quickly, and never leaves a mark in the morning.

The two fish utilize different parts of the tank environment and different food sources, so neither is a threat to the other.

~Bruce

Kryssie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening fish lovers! I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 (75 gal display) with Synergy TS-26. (23 gallon sump). My proposed fish list is as follows:

• Engineer Goby x2 (10”)
  • Lavender Tang (8”)
  • White Tail Tomini Tang (5”)
  • Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse (4”)
  • Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse (5”)
  • Orange Back Fairy Wrasse (3”)
  • ORA Clarkii Clownfish x2 (6”)
Do you guys anticipate any problems with this setup?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back