Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of tangs for a 75 ... I would probably leave the lavendar out.

I'd also try to add the red velvet wrasse after the other wrasses, as they've got a bit of a reputation for aggression towards other fairies - not sure about the pink-margin.

Clarkii clowns may become aggressive as a mated pair, so keep an eye on 'em. They sure can be pretty though . . .

~Bruce

Kryssie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of tangs for a 75 ... I would probably leave the lavendar out.

I'd also try to add the red velvet wrasse after the other wrasses, as they've got a bit of a reputation for aggression towards other fairies - not sure about the pink-margin.

Clarkii clowns may become aggressive as a mated pair, so keep an eye on 'em. They sure can be pretty though . . .

~Bruce

Thank you. Leaving the Lavender out seems like good advice, I can’t ever find them in stock anyway. And I’ve read they’re particularly aggressive compared to other tangs. Would the Engineer Gobies be quarantined like other gobies? Can they tolerate copper?

Kryssie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know whether engineers can tolerate copper well or not - perhaps @HotRocks would?

They're pretty cool fish - kind of like having an eel, but without having an eel.

~Bruce
That’s exactly why I want them. I’ll have eels without losing a finger cleaning the tank.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know whether engineers can tolerate copper well or not - perhaps @HotRocks would?

They're pretty cool fish - kind of like having an eel, but without having an eel.

~Bruce

I have never actually QTd an engineer personally, but they should tolerate copper power at 1.75ppm just fine.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I keep a dwarf moray, mombasa lionfish, and a red-orange angler without any problems in a 46 gallon with heavy filtration?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reposting this question here -

My LFS got in some Caribbean sailfin blennies, Emblemaria pandionis. Would one or two be ok in my 10 gallon mixed reef? Are they essentially like barnacle blennies in terms of being small peaceful planktivores? I’m struggling to find much info online about them. To be clear I’m not talking about a Salaris genus algae/sailfin blenny.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reposting this question here -

My LFS got in some Caribbean sailfin blennies, Emblemaria pandionis. Would one or two be ok in my 10 gallon mixed reef? Are they essentially like barnacle blennies in terms of being small peaceful planktivores? I’m struggling to find much info online about them. To be clear I’m not talking about a Salaris genus algae/sailfin blenny.
Yes, they are essentially barnacle blennies. 2 will be fine.
55-gallon tank with a blue hippo tang
Not a good idea.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a 45 gallon QT with a bare bottom and about 15lbs of Life Rock. It has a HOB Filter, (Fluval C4) a heater at 78 - 79 degrees Fahrenheit and a 5,300 GPH Powerhead that I have turned down to 10%. The tank has been cycled and is reading about 10 ppm Nitrate, 0 ppm Nitrite, 0 ppm Ammonia, Alkalinity is about 220 ppm, Salinity is 1.025 and PH is about 8.1. I have already added the following fish:

2 Ocellaris Clownfish
5 Banggai Cardinal Fish

I freshwater dipped the fish, but have no medication in the QT at this time. They will be in the QT for about two months until the DT is up and running so I plan on just watching them and medicating only if needed. They are all eating fine and look healthy and have been in the QT about a week now.

I plan on eventually having the following fish:

1 Coral Beauty
1 Australian Harlequin Tusk
1 Blue (Hippo) Tang
1 Purple Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 Pearlscale Butterflyfish
1 Mandarin Green-Blue Goby
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Scooter Ruby Red Blenny
4 Blue Damsel
1 Foxface Rabbitfish
1 X-Mas Red (Tonga) Wrasse
1 Fairy Pintail Wrasse

These will all be going in a brand new 180 gallon reef tank with plans of adding soft corrals and some beginner LPS in a few months when the tank is stable.

Questions:

1. Is this list realistic and if not what fish need to go? (If some need to go, please add any suggestions to replace)

2. Can I add any of these right now with my current stock in my QT?

3. What is the order I should add them and what can be in a 45 gallon QT at the same time?

4. How do you QT fish that need sand in a bare bottom QT?

5. Should I add any equipment to my QT?

Thank you in advance!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of things I see off the top of my head ...

Two zebrasoma tangs (purple & yellow) may be a challenge. Might be best to add simultaneously, and have a "plan-b" if it doesn't work out.
Pearlscale butterfly may pose a risk to your corals - I haven't researched the reef-safeness of that particular species, but butterflies in general aren't very. The coral beauty also poses some risk, but is among the safer dwarf angels.

To QT a sand-sleeping wrasse, a tray of sand (I use something that came with an order of Chinese food) on the bottom of the QT will provide a sleeping area, and not absorb _too_ much medication. Test medication (copper) levels regularly to be sure.

And a "pet peeve" - mandarin "gobies" and ruby scooter "blennies" are neither gobies nor blennies; both are dragonets. Add them after your tank is well established, with a good population of 'pods - and keep in mind that your red Christmas wrasse may compete with them for that 'pod resource.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a 45 gallon QT with a bare bottom and about 15lbs of Life Rock. It has a HOB Filter, (Fluval C4) a heater at 78 - 79 degrees Fahrenheit and a 5,300 GPH Powerhead that I have turned down to 10%. The tank has been cycled and is reading about 10 ppm Nitrate, 0 ppm Nitrite, 0 ppm Ammonia, Alkalinity is about 220 ppm, Salinity is 1.025 and PH is about 8.1. I have already added the following fish:

2 Ocellaris Clownfish
5 Banggai Cardinal Fish

I freshwater dipped the fish, but have no medication in the QT at this time. They will be in the QT for about two months until the DT is up and running so I plan on just watching them and medicating only if needed. They are all eating fine and look healthy and have been in the QT about a week now.

I plan on eventually having the following fish:

1 Coral Beauty
1 Australian Harlequin Tusk
1 Blue (Hippo) Tang
1 Purple Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 Pearlscale Butterflyfish
1 Mandarin Green-Blue Goby
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Scooter Ruby Red Blenny
4 Blue Damsel
1 Foxface Rabbitfish
1 X-Mas Red (Tonga) Wrasse
1 Fairy Pintail Wrasse

These will all be going in a brand new 180 gallon reef tank with plans of adding soft corrals and some beginner LPS in a few months when the tank is stable.

Questions:

1. Is this list realistic and if not what fish need to go? (If some need to go, please add any suggestions to replace)

2. Can I add any of these right now with my current stock in my QT?

3. What is the order I should add them and what can be in a 45 gallon QT at the same time?

4. How do you QT fish that need sand in a bare bottom QT?

5. Should I add any equipment to my QT?

Thank you in advance!
2 of the bangaii cardinals will pr off and kill the others.

Wait to add the dragonets until the display is at least a year old.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get an ORA captive bred dragonet, it’ll eat pellets and you can add it earlier

Good luck with the wait list though

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get an ORA captive bred dragonet, it’ll eat pellets and you can add it earlier

Good luck with the wait list though
First, ora discontinued their mandarins, but other companies, such as Biota do offer captive bred dragonets. However, even if one eats pellets that still will not satisfy all of it's dietary needs. Dragonets graze all day and their digestive tract is very short and inefficient. It is the course of wisdom to allow the system to adequately mature before adding a single dragonet, let alone more.

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, ora discontinued their mandarins, but other companies, such as Biota do offer captive bred dragonets. However, even if one eats pellets that still will not satisfy all of it's dietary needs. Dragonets graze all day and their digestive tract is very short and inefficient. It is the course of wisdom to allow the system to adequately mature before adding a single dragonet, let alone more.
The...." Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" thing?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I should have qualified with YMMV.

There are two green dragonets eating a mixture of pellets (formula 1, 2, spectrum, some chroma-max supplement) exclusively at one of my lfs. Have been for 6 months. They are fed 4-5x day alongside the anthias they share the tank with.

The only reason I don’t have them in QT for my tank is that he wants $400 for the pair.

But of course, as with any fish, it all comes down to the individual specimen, so YMMV

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back