Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Applegate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm in the planning stage of my next tank and I've been trying to get my stocking list together. I'm doing this a little backwards though. Rather than trying to fit the fish to a tank, I'm trying to fit the tank to the fish I want.

So here's the fish i want:

Powder blue tang
Yellow tang
Powder brown tang
Magnificent fox face
5x anthias
Flame angle
2x clownfish
Flame hawkfish

The tanks I'm looking at are the waterbox peninsula styles.
The display tank volumes of the three models are 130(55"L), 140(60"L) and 169(72"L) gallons
Would any of these work for that stocking list or should I am to the bigger size?

Id like to go for the smaller of what would be responsible so it blocks off less of the room. What do you guys think?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a flame hawk and yellow corris get along?

Edit: Also a flame hawk and a royal gramma?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm in the planning stage of my next tank and I've been trying to get my stocking list together. I'm doing this a little backwards though. Rather than trying to fit the fish to a tank, I'm trying to fit the tank to the fish I want.

So here's the fish i want:

Powder blue tang
Yellow tang
Powder brown tang
Magnificent fox face
5x anthias
Flame angle
2x clownfish
Flame hawkfish

The tanks I'm looking at are the waterbox peninsula styles.
The display tank volumes of the three models are 130(55"L), 140(60"L) and 169(72"L) gallons
Would any of these work for that stocking list or should I am to the bigger size?

Id like to go for the smaller of what would be responsible so it blocks off less of the room. What do you guys think?
Powder blue and powder brown will fight pretty badly.

A six foot tank would be the minimum.
Would a flame hawk and yellow corris get along?

Edit: Also a flame hawk and a royal gramma?
All 3 will coexist.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but my hubby really loves them so I promised I'd ask. Is a Reefer 350 too small for a yellow tang? The DT is 4' wide and 73 gallons.
In my opinion, yes, it's too small. Others may say it's ok.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, yes, it's too small. Others may say it's ok.
Pretty much what I thought. We're also considering a one spot fox face. It would be housed in a reef with a fairy wrasse, a yellow coris wrasse, a leopard wrasse, 3 resplendent anthias, a coral beauty angel, and two tiny clowns. Would a fox face get along okay with those guys? Is there anything special to know about caring for fox faces?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what I thought. We're also considering a one spot fox face. It would be housed in a reef with a fairy wrasse, a yellow coris wrasse, a leopard wrasse, 3 resplendent anthias, a coral beauty angel, and two tiny clowns. Would a fox face get along okay with those guys? Is there anything special to know about caring for fox faces?

Foxface are very docile and IMO should be housed with less aggressive fish.

Also if you still talking about putting it in the reefer 350, the tank is to small IMO.

I know LA says minimum size is 75 gallons, but most agree they got that one wrong.

Mine is a strict vegetarian......his choice, not mine! Lots of veggies and nori.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface are very docile and IMO should be housed with less aggressive fish.

Also if you still talking about putting it in the reefer 350, the tank is to small IMO.

I know LA says minimum size is 75 gallons, but most agree they got that one wrong.

Mine is a strict vegetarian......his choice, not mine! Lots of veggies and nori.
Okay good to know. I was just going by LA, they actually say 70 gallons. We will probably just end up going with a kole tang.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that foxfaces are jumpy in tanks that size, which is not cool, since they have venomous dorsal spines.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but my hubby really loves them so I promised I'd ask. Is a Reefer 350 too small for a yellow tang? The DT is 4' wide and 73 gallons.
You will have better success with a bristletooth tang like a kole or a tomini. It’s a bit on the small size for yellow tang.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a few weeks now...
525 RedSea Reefer (108 gal)

Aquarium tank mates:
1/Watchman Goby/ Pistol shrimp
2/Mocha clownfish
1/Chalk Basslet
1/Orchid Dottyback
1/Royal Grama
3/Bartlets anthias trio
1/Cherub Angel
1/Flame Angel
1/Coral Beauty
1/Starry Blenny
1/Flame Hawk

The flame angel is quite agressive to the smallest cherub angel.
The little guys tail is being nipped on.

Would sneaking another cherub angel in the tank help distribute the aggression between two cherub angels or would this just make it worse?

Looking for a solution without removing the fish....

Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a few weeks now...
525 RedSea Reefer (108 gal)

Aquarium tank mates:
1/Watchman Goby/ Pistol shrimp
2/Mocha clownfish
1/Chalk Basslet
1/Orchid Dottyback
1/Royal Grama
3/Bartlets anthias trio
1/Cherub Angel
1/Flame Angel
1/Coral Beauty
1/Starry Blenny
1/Flame Hawk

The flame angel is quite agressive to the smallest cherub angel.
The little guys tail is being nipped on.

Would sneaking another cherub angel in the tank help distribute the aggression between two cherub angels or would this just make it worse?

Looking for a solution without removing the fish....

Thanks
I would NOT add another angel.

How long have they been together? How bad is the nipped tail?

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NOT add another angel.

How long have they been together? How bad is the nipped tail?

They have been together about three weeks now. I did not plan on adding any additional fish,thanks for answering that question. I never had fish do this, in my mind it appears severe, however in looking at the Cherub yesterday the tail looks a little better. While observing the tank it is obvious who has done the damage to him. Whenever the Flame is near he chases the Cherub. The Cherub does not go into hiding, he just quickly darts off to another area.

The fish are fed 4 times daily...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been together about three weeks now. I did not plan on adding any additional fish,thanks for answering that question. I never had fish do this, in my mind it appears severe, however in looking at the Cherub yesterday the tail looks a little better. While observing the tank it is obvious who has done the damage to him. Whenever the Flame is near he chases the Cherub. The Cherub does not go into hiding, he just quickly darts off to another area.

The fish are fed 4 times daily...
That behavior is to be expected. It should decrease as time goes by.

EchoStar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I'm trying to plan out my 50gal cube tank . Tank has a 20 gal sump. I am planning on a reef tank with sps and lps. But I want fish activity as well. Let me know what ya think about the list. Once it set they well be the only fish I get and well be added slowly over time.
Fish
2 Mocha gladiator/davinci
1 Randall’s pistol shrimp
1 hi fin red banded goby
1 blue tuxedo urchin
1 blue mandarin goby ( pod will be supplemented )
1 yellow fin flasher wrasse
1 Bartlett anthias
1 purple firefish
1 cleaner shirmp
Clean up crew

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I'm trying to plan out my 50gal cube tank . Tank has a 20 gal sump. I am planning on a reef tank with sps and lps. But I want fish activity as well. Let me know what ya think about the list. Once it set they well be the only fish I get and well be added slowly over time.
Fish
2 Mocha gladiator/davinci
1 Randall’s pistol shrimp
1 hi fin red banded goby
1 blue tuxedo urchin
1 blue mandarin goby ( pod will be supplemented )
1 yellow fin flasher wrasse
1 Bartlett anthias
1 purple firefish
1 cleaner shirmp
Clean up crew
A single bartlett anthias isn't a good fit for that size tank and those fish.

EchoStar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would evansi be better. I'm willing to replace the firefish so I can have a pair or trio. I really like anthias and would like to be able to house at least one.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would evansi be better. I'm willing to replace the firefish so I can have a pair or trio. I really like anthias and would like to be able to house at least one.

https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/52/?pcatid=52

Might be a better fit for a 50.

A lot of the other anthias besides their social needs have some pretty heavy feeding needs that could easily over power the biofilter of smaller tanks. They also like a lot more swimming room.

Not an anthia but very similar color and very active.

My lubock’s fairy wrasse is well behaved and seems content in a similar volume to yours.

EchoStar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mush as it would stink if I just didnt do an anthia and marked that fish off my list would the rest of the fish work together

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back