Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would evansi be better. I'm willing to replace the firefish so I can have a pair or trio. I really like anthias and would like to be able to house at least one.
Evansi can be a little more challenging. A trio of randalls would work better.
As mush as it would stink if I just didnt do an anthia and marked that fish off my list would the rest of the fish work together
That would work, too.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would evansi be better. I'm willing to replace the firefish so I can have a pair or trio. I really like anthias and would like to be able to house at least one.
Evansi can be a little more challenging. A trio of randalls would work better.
As mush as it would stink if I just didnt do an anthia and marked that fish off my list would the rest of the fish work together
That would work, too.

mnk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering starting a 75 gallon aquarium. What I have in mind is a sort of predator tank, fuzzy dwarf lion fish, snowflake eel and a pair of maroon clownfish (would probably also get a anemone for it). I know invertebrates such as shrimps are off the tables, but corals aren't, and I was thinking maybe having some soft corals. I understand the anemone needs good lighting.
My main question is with the maroon clownfish, is it safe with the snowflake eel and the lion fish? From what I researched, they get fairly big and are quite aggressive. Also, is the lion fish safe with the eel?

Thank you.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering starting a 75 gallon aquarium. What I have in mind is a sort of predator tank, fuzzy dwarf lion fish, snowflake eel and a pair of maroon clownfish (would probably also get a anemone for it). I know invertebrates such as shrimps are off the tables, but corals aren't, and I was thinking maybe having some soft corals. I understand the anemone needs good lighting.
My main question is with the maroon clownfish, is it safe with the snowflake eel and the lion fish? From what I researched, they get fairly big and are quite aggressive. Also, is the lion fish safe with the eel?

Thank you.
The clowns are safe from the lion, but the lion may not be safe from the territorial attacks of the clowns.

As long as the eel is small, and the other fish are in first, the snowflake should not be an issue.

EchoStar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Add a small snowflake and clowns should be fine. As the snowflake grows do not feed it live fish at all or food that is the same color as your fish. The clowns should be fine. (Not sure if they can see colors but I noticed more agression from my eels to my clowns if thier food was the same color as the clowns or close)

As far as corals go. Snowflakes are extremely messy eater. If u have a good filter system on your tank you should be able to keep some of the easier corals.

My last tank had 2 clowns and 3 eels and a trigger. I was still able to keep Kenya trees, trumpets, a hurricane chalice, toad stool, and a flower pot. If I would of had a better filter system I probably could have done more.

EchoStar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 full grown eel with 2 Ocellaris clownfishs. They left my clownfish alone as long as I keep them fed. I fed squid and shrimp.

For the most part if u train the eels to eat prepared foods compared to live food you should be fine.

Only time I ever had problems was when I ran out of squid and fed red shrimp for a few days. As soon as I went back to white shrimp and squid everything was fine.

mnk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it rewarding having a eel? Or should I just choose another fish that its more compatible with the fuzzy and the maroon?

WP10601

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good starting coral to add to the tank?
4 Blue Green Chromis
2 GOBY-FIREFISH
BASSLET-ROYAL GRAMMA
ANGEL-CORAL BEAUTY
Cleaner Shrimp
2 SHRIMP-PEPPERMINT
2 CLOWN-ocellaris
2 x Bar (zebra) Goby
Green Crab

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good starting coral to add to the tank?
4 Blue Green Chromis
2 GOBY-FIREFISH
BASSLET-ROYAL GRAMMA
ANGEL-CORAL BEAUTY
Cleaner Shrimp
2 SHRIMP-PEPPERMINT
2 CLOWN-ocellaris
2 x Bar (zebra) Goby
Green Crab
That depends on what kinds of coral you are interested in and whether your parameters allow it. Soft corals are generally more tolerant of less than pristine conditions than lps and sps, but are either dull colored, very invasive growers, or can release toxins if something decides to nip at them (mainly paly and zoa polyp colonies). For soft corals, some appealing species are kenya tree corals, green star polyps, pulsing xenia, most mushroom and leather corals, and zoanthids. If you’re looking at something a bit more challenging like an lps, candy cane, button coral, bubble coral, frogspawn, and hammer coral are some fun options. For a much more advanced sps coral, birdsnest, montipora, or pavona corals are fairly forgiving in terms of sps. Be aware that emerald crabs might decide one day that one of your corals looks like a tasty snack and dwarf angels will nip at corals sometimes. Also pairs of dartfish like firefish and zebra barred dartfish rarely do well in pairs and would be better kept singly or in a trio.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went through LA directory of fish to compile a list of desirable fish for my tank. Some that I dont include were desirable but were $250 or more so they didn't get included in this list. Maybe someday when I'm more comfortable with my husbandry skills I will consider a $350 fish but until then I'm gonna try to keep my fish cost under $100 each. I also eliminated possible fish based on tank size, agression, tendency to eat coral or snails.

My setup is a 5'x2'x2' with 50 g sump. ~200 lbs of live rock split between DT and sump. 1" sand bed in DT with 6" in sump. The plan for coral is a mixed reef. There will be an extensive CUC from snails to worm to fish. I'm leaning away from crabs of any type but they are part of the ecosystem so I may still get some. I don't currently have any anything but bacteria and algea in my tank.

The Following is a list of all possible fish I came across on LA andhttps://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/ :

1. Red Stoplight cardinal (5)
2. Royal Gramma Basslet (how many?)
3. Clownfish pair
4. Bicolor Blenny
5. Sailfin/Algea Blenny
6. Clown Goby, yellow
7. Orange Spotted Goby
8. Yellow Prawn Goby
9. Hi Fin Red Banded Goby
10. Foxface Lo
11. McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
12. Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
13. Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
14. Melanarus Wrasse
15. Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
16. Yellow Fin Fairy Wrasse
17. Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse
18. Pintail Wrasse
19. Red Line Wrasse
20. Canary Wrasse
21. Christmas Wrasse
22. Adorned Wrasse
23. Radiant Wrasse
24. Pink Streaked Wrasse
25. Yellow Purple Wrasse
26. Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse
27. Tanaka's Wrasse
28. White Banded Possum Wrasse
29. A harem of 4 Anthias: Carberryi, Dispar, or Lyretail
30. I really like the Flame Angel but most of the stories say he's a jerk
30. Coral Beauty Angelfish
31. Bicolor Angelfish
32. Lemonpeel Angelfish
33. Powder Blue Tang
34. Powder Brown Tang
35. Blue Throat Triggerfish
36. Mandarin

I don't plan on having every fish on this list. Some may fight some I won't be able to find. That is alot of Wrasse!

For the most part I ordered this list in the order of entry into tank. Any suggestions to omit or additions to the list or order change is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went through LA directory of fish to compile a list of desirable fish for my tank. Some that I dont include were desirable but were $250 or more so they didn't get included in this list. Maybe someday when I'm more comfortable with my husbandry skills I will consider a $350 fish but until then I'm gonna try to keep my fish cost under $100 each. I also eliminated possible fish based on tank size, agression, tendency to eat coral or snails.

My setup is a 5'x2'x2' with 50 g sump. ~200 lbs of live rock split between DT and sump. 1" sand bed in DT with 6" in sump. The plan for coral is a mixed reef. There will be an extensive CUC from snails to worm to fish. I'm leaning away from crabs of any type but they are part of the ecosystem so I may still get some. I don't currently have any anything but bacteria and algea in my tank.

The Following is a list of all possible fish I came across on LA andhttps://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/ :

3. Clownfish pair
4. Bicolor Blenny
5. Sailfin/Algea Blenny
6. Clown Goby, yellow
7. Orange Spotted Goby
8. Yellow Prawn Goby
10. Foxface Lo
14. Melanarus Wrasse
18. Pintail Wrasse
19. Red Line Wrasse
20. Canary Wrasse
21. Christmas Wrasse
22. Adorned Wrasse
23. Radiant Wrasse
24. Pink Streaked Wrasse
25. Yellow Purple Wrasse
27. Tanaka's Wrasse
31. Bicolor Angelfish
32. Lemonpeel Angelfish
33. Powder Blue Tang
34. Powder Brown Tang
36. Mandarin

I don't plan on having every fish on this list. Some may fight some I won't be able to find. That is alot of Wrasse!

For the most part I ordered this list in the order of entry into tank. Any suggestions to omit or additions to the list or order change is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Only go with 1 royal gramma, I would go with a bicolor blenny over a sailfin, powder blue tangs are a**holes, don’t keep a mandarin with wrasses since they will get outcompeted for pods, I would stick to one wrasse (preferably a fairy wrasse since halichoeres wrasses may nip coral) and if you want more try to get females because male wrasses may fight other males, and angels may also nip at coral and if you’re set on getting multiple I would leave the flame angel out of the equation or replace it with another species like a bicolor angel

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3. Clownfish pair
4. Bicolor Blenny
5. Sailfin/Algea Blenny
6. Clown Goby, yellow
7. Orange Spotted Goby
8. Yellow Prawn Goby
10. Foxface Lo
14. Melanarus Wrasse
18. Pintail Wrasse
19. Red Line Wrasse
20. Canary Wrasse
21. Christmas Wrasse
22. Adorned Wrasse
23. Radiant Wrasse
24. Pink Streaked Wrasse
25. Yellow Purple Wrasse
27. Tanaka's Wrasse
31. Bicolor Angelfish
32. Lemonpeel Angelfish
33. Powder Blue Tang
34. Powder Brown Tang
36. Mandarin

Grammas can be kept as groups, but would need to all be small and added simultaneously. You could do 1, 3, or 6 or more.

Christmas wrasses, Halichoeres ornatissimus, can be aggressive to other wrasses. Skip him.

Add the melanurus after all the other wrasses.

For anthias, go with dispar or carberryi. They do better in groups in captivity than lyretails.

Any dwarf angels can be jerks. If you have multiple in your tank they tend to focus on each other rather than other types of fish.

Bicolor and lemonpeel angelfish are very likely to eat coral.

Don't get both the powder blue and powder brown tangs. They are both quite aggressive, and due to being similar looking, will not tolerate each other.

The leopard, Halichoeres, and pygmy wrasses will outcompete the mandarin for pods.
Only go with 1 royal gramma, I would go with a bicolor blenny over a sailfin, powder blue tangs are a**holes, don’t keep a mandarin with wrasses since they will get outcompeted for pods, I would stick to one wrasse (preferably a fairy wrasse since halichoeres wrasses may nip coral) and if you want more try to get females because male wrasses may fight other males, and angels may also nip at coral and if you’re set on getting multiple I would leave the flame angel out of the equation or replace it with another species like a bicolor angel
Royal grammas can be kept more than 1 to a tank.

In a 5'x2'x2' tank both the bicolor and sailfin blenny can coexist. Just be sure the bicolor is in first.

Halichoeres wrasses are beneficial in reefs as they pick at coral pests and do not at the corals themselves.

Male wrasses of the same species will fight, but they usually tolerate males of other species.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back