Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm,mine were out most of the time in QT. Basically i put them in acclimation box for one hour. None of the fish seems to care so i released.Once i did it 2 disappeared right away and 2 hours later 3rd one!
Would Midas Blenny work with my stocking? Always wanted one....

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm,mine were out most of the time in QT. Basically i put them in acclimation box for one hour. None of the fish seems to care so i released.Once i did it 2 disappeared right away and 2 hours later 3rd one!
Would Midas Blenny work with my stocking? Always wanted one....
The sailfin blenny may be problematic with the midas.

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyones opinion on bluestreak cleaner wrasses compatibility with other wrasses?
I have one in QT now thats doing well and eating frozen foods, I'm considering it adding it to my DT but wondering if he will just be a quick 20$ loss to my Radiant wrasse.

The radiant is currently my only wrasse. the DT is a 90g 5 foot tank

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyones opinion on bluestreak cleaner wrasses compatibility with other wrasses?
I have one in QT now thats doing well and eating frozen foods, I'm considering it adding it to my DT but wondering if he will just be a quick 20$ loss to my Radiant wrasse.

The radiant is currently my only wrasse. the DT is a 90g 5 foot tank
They are usually fine with other wrasses, though they don't have the greatest survival record in captivity.

Kasey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish would you guys add after a pair of clownfish in a new 55g? I’m just not sure on what fish should go in next (gramma, dart fish, chromis, firefish, and goby are what I’m thinking of having in there by the end, will probably cut a couple out to make sure I don’t overcrowd)

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish would you guys add after a pair of clownfish in a new 55g? I’m just not sure on what fish should go in next (gramma, dart fish, chromis, firefish, and goby are what I’m thinking of having in there by the end, will probably cut a couple out to make sure I don’t overcrowd)
You've described the occupants of my tank almost exactly, except I have a wrasse instead of a chromis. Any of those would be a good choice to add next. If you want something to hang around the bottom in contrast to the clowns, go with the goby. If you want more color and lots of movement, the Gramma is a good choice. The firefish is colorful too, but mine hides a lot. The only time you sure to see him is at feeding time.

mtnbikeracer76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my list for when I stock my 20 long.

1 Black Ice clown fish
1 Firefish
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Dragonet (the wife had one in the past and wants one again). Well aware of the requirements of this guy.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my list for when I stock my 20 long.

1 Black Ice clown fish
1 Firefish
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Dragonet (the wife had one in the past and wants one again). Well aware of the requirements of this guy.

Skip the six line, both the firefish and dragonet are way too peaceful its level of aggression and is also going to eat the pods before the mandy can get them.

mtnbikeracer76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the six line, both the firefish and dragonet are way too peaceful its level of aggression and is also going to eat the pods before the mandy can get them.

What would be a nice 4th fish to add? Maybe a blenny or some Pajama Cardinals?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a nice 4th fish to add? Maybe a blenny or some Pajama Cardinals?

Personally if was my 20g i would stock the clown and firefish first, wait 6-12 months for the dragonet.
Then if the bio filter was steady and microfauna supported the dragonet for another several months i might add a barnacle blenny, but nothing larger.
4 fish is pushing it on a 20 imo.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have my list of fish complete except for one more Tang. The list is as follows:

2 Oscellaris Clowns
2 Bangai Cardinals
2 Pajama Cardinals
1 Coral Beauty
1 One spot Foxface Rabbitfish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
5 Blue Reef Chromis
1 Green Manderan
1 Powder Blue Tang
1 Purple Tang
1 ??? Tang

I can't decide if I want a Blue Regal, Kole. Naso or Chevron Tang. What would go best with the Purple and Powder Blue in a 160 gallon tank? Size really ins't a concern because I plan on upgrading eventually to a 400 gallon or bigger tank, but they will need to get along in the 160 for several years.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have my list of fish complete except for one more Tang. The list is as follows:

2 Oscellaris Clowns
2 Bangai Cardinals
2 Pajama Cardinals
1 Coral Beauty
1 One spot Foxface Rabbitfish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
5 Blue Reef Chromis
1 Green Manderan
1 Powder Blue Tang
1 Purple Tang
1 ??? Tang

I can't decide if I want a Blue Regal, Kole. Naso or Chevron Tang. What would go best with the Purple and Powder Blue in a 160 gallon tank? Size really ins't a concern because I plan on upgrading eventually to a 400 gallon or bigger tank, but they will need to get along in the 160 for several years.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Adding a new tang to a tank with an established powder blue is a huge risk, so if you do, I would add a larger tang that the powder blue will have a harder time pushing around, such as a blue hippo or a naso tang, but only if you follow through with the large upgrade because both of those tangs require at least 180 g in the long run, with the naso being closer to 200+ g. Don't get either of those if there is any doubt in your mind that you might not upgrade

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a new tang to a tank with an established powder blue is a huge risk, so if you do, I would add a larger tang that the powder blue will have a harder time pushing around, such as a blue hippo or a naso tang, but only if you follow through with the large upgrade because both of those tangs require at least 180 g in the long run, with the naso being closer to 200+ g. Don't get either of those if there is any doubt in your mind that you might not upgrade

So,the Powder Blue and Purple Tang are actually in a 45 gallon QT together and the Purple Tang is bigger and seems to be the boss so far. I want to get the other Tang within the next few days so I can add it to a separate QT. The plan will be to add all of them to the DT at the same time.

As far as other plans in case I can't upgrade tanks by the time they need a bigger one goes, I talked to two different LFS's and both say that they take fish that have outgrown their tanks and find another home for them. So if things don't work out I can bring it to either of them.

Last edited:

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any suggestions on a reasonably peaceful, reef friendly schooling fish that gets along with Tangs? I was looking at the Blue Reef Chromis, but the more I read the more I don't like what I am reading. I am looking to get around 5 or 6 and don't want to spend a fortune on them, (not over $30 a piece). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any suggestions on a reasonably peaceful, reef friendly schooling fish that gets along with Tangs? I was looking at the Blue Reef Chromis, but the more I read the more I don't like what I am reading. I am looking to get around 5 or 6 and don't want to spend a fortune on them, (not over $30 a piece). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Pajama cardinals

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bartlet’s anthias if can get local can sometimes be around $40-45 a fish. Or when in a group on DD. Mind you none of the salt water fish we keep school that well.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pajama cardinals

I have two in QT already, but was under the impression that I shouldn't have more than that or the will kill each other. I had 5 Bangai Cardinals and that's exactly what they did and now I am down to two of them. I would hate to have the same thing happen with my PJ Cardinals...

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bartlet’s anthias if can get local can sometimes be around $40-45 a fish. Or when in a group on DD.
The only Anthias I've seen local are in the $60 - 80 range. I do plan on getting a Bartlet, didn't know they schooled though.

Mind you none of the salt water fish we keep school that well.
Yeah, that's what I get from everything I am reading that they don't really school in tanks under 300 gallons. Oh well, I guess I will just get a few different cool looking fish instead.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only Anthias I've seen local are in the $60 - 80 range. I do plan on getting a Bartlet, didn't know they schooled though.

Yeah, that's what I get from everything I am reading that they don't really school in tanks under 300 gallons. Oh well, I guess I will just get a few different cool looking fish instead.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Not sure school would be the correct word. They form a loose group of females around the most dominant member that will become the male. Similar to a harem of African cichlids.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back