Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and are there any other fish besides those you listed?

50 gallon cube with 9 other fish: 2 ocellaris, bangaii cardinal, springer damsel, midas blenny, lyretail anthias, orchid dottyback, red line wrasse, yellow wrasse

I wanted to give it a full day to see how things played out. Last night the flame was very aggressive, worse than anything I've seen in the hobby (not that long, but a bit now). To where I was thinking I might have to drain half the tank today to get him out before anyone got injured. But today the flame seemed much calmer, swimming with everyone without going crazy. Some skirmishing still, but nothing too crazy. My female clown even decided to bite his dorsal fin at random, which looked harmless but also made me crack up a bit.

That said, I'm worried I've overdone the limit. My bioload is ok, 0 or undetectable nitrates, so I thought maybe I could get away with a fish that I've wanted ever since I started in on the saltwater world. But, I think I've hit the elbow room limit for this tank. I knew I was pushing it and knew the angels were a bit aggressive, but I also told myself I'd watch it and return the fish if things were anything but peaceful. So.. I think I'm going to work on catching him unless he chills out even more. Bummer to lose out on $70, but I'm a loyal guy and watching the flame slowly beating on my fish aint gonna fly. Also, I haven't seen my orchid since the flame went in the tank.. concerning.

His entrance yesterday reminded me of some tough guy walking into prison. Looking to start crap with everyone :eek::mad:;Rage

Aj.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea 170. Looking to add 1 or possibly 2 more fish.

Existing fish:
Tailspot blenny
Ice mocha clown
Orange spot goby
Crescent tail wrasse

Proposed fish:
Lubbocks multicolor fairy wrasse
And/or
Fathead sunburst anthia

InvertObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just wondering if this is ok for a managable 20g cube.

1x Black cap Basslet
2x Spotted coral crouchers
1x Shrimp and goby pair
(Maybe) A Porcelain Crab

Thanks for any help.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just wondering if this is ok for a managable 20g cube.

1x Black cap Basslet
2x Spotted coral crouchers
1x Shrimp and goby pair
(Maybe) A Porcelain Crab

Thanks for any help.
A basslet will be cramped in a 20 g and spotted coral crouchers can be aggressive towards each other, so I would only do 1.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea 170. Looking to add 1 or possibly 2 more fish.

Existing fish:
Tailspot blenny
Ice mocha clown
Orange spot goby
Crescent tail wrasse

Proposed fish:
Lubbocks multicolor fairy wrasse
And/or
Fathead sunburst anthia

A c. Lubbocki should work. Some individuals are more aggressive than others, and will be dominate most likely to the c. Lunatus.
I would use an acclimation box when adding.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any suggestions on a reasonably peaceful, reef friendly schooling fish that gets along with Tangs? I was looking at the Blue Reef Chromis, but the more I read the more I don't like what I am reading. I am looking to get around 5 or 6 and don't want to spend a fortune on them, (not over $30 a piece). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Fusilier damsels, zebra or scissortail dartfish, dispar or randalls anthias(they are more peaceful and less expensive than bartletts).

You'll get a shoaling behavior rather than a true schooling behavior.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fusilier damsels, zebra or scissortail dartfish, dispar or randalls anthias(they are more peaceful and less expensive than bartletts).

You'll get a shoaling behavior rather than a true schooling behavior.
I had to Google "Schoaling", thanks for the word of the day. Lol

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into those fish.

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for an active fish to add next. I had a list before but after checking with the family we made some changes. Currently have a 100 gallon 5 foot long tank. We were looking at a carpenter wrasse but I have read they don't do so well in QT so I wanted to get some opinions on alternatives. McCoskers or whip fin possibly. Currently have two clowns in the tank.

So far my ideas for future stocking are:
Yellow goby with pistol shrimp
Flame or red hawk fish
Royal Gamma Basslet
Starry Blenny
Longnose Atlantic Butterfly
Kole Yellow Eye Tang

Thanks in advance!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for an active fish to add next. I had a list before but after checking with the family we made some changes. Currently have a 100 gallon 5 foot long tank. We were looking at a carpenter wrasse but I have read they don't do so well in QT so I wanted to get some opinions on alternatives. McCoskers or whip fin possibly. Currently have two clowns in the tank.

So far my ideas for future stocking are:
Yellow goby with pistol shrimp
Flame or red hawk fish
Royal Gamma Basslet
Starry Blenny
Longnose Atlantic Butterfly
Kole Yellow Eye Tang

Thanks in advance!
Carpenters and mckoskers do equally well in qt. Avoid the whipfin.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any insight on keeping a mandarin and a diamond goby in a reefer350?
Allow the system to mature for at least 6 months before adding either. Have rubble piles throughout the tank and sump.

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow the system to mature for at least 6 months before adding either. Have rubble piles throughout the tank and sump.

I'm no where near ready to add them, just trying to ascertain whether or not they would be a problem in the same tank. My fear is that the diamond goby would out-compete, or show aggression toward the slower mandarin.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no where near ready to add them, just trying to ascertain whether or not they would be a problem in the same tank. My fear is that the diamond goby would out-compete, or show aggression toward the slower mandarin.
It's possible that there will be competition, but there won't be aggression. By having rubble piles it gives the mandarin hunting grounds that the diamond goby won't utilize.

Aimulator64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am personally considering black and white chromis for my 30 gallon, as I love their gorgeous blue eyes, but Live Aquaria gives spacial caution for groups. Are there other chromis that do better with groups of 3-5? Or can these black and white chromis also be housed together in a 36 inch long tank?

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/116/black-white-chromis?pcatid=116&c=15+1634+116
This species behaves more like a damsel. With adequate rockwork, each specimen will claim and defend a small territory.

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cycling my 16gallon tank atm I’m planning on having 2 clownfish and some inverts (Don’t know which one) but I want some more fish I’m thinking about Watchmen Goby and or Royal Gramma. I’m adding them SLOWLY if the time comes. What is the best option 2 gobys? 1 goby and 1 Royal Gramma or maybe 1 of them?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cycling my 16gallon tank atm I’m planning on having 2 clownfish and some inverts (Don’t know which one) but I want some more fish I’m thinking about Watchmen Goby and or Royal Gramma. I’m adding them SLOWLY if the time comes. What is the best option 2 gobys? 1 goby and 1 Royal Gramma or maybe 1 of them?
2 clowns is teetering on full imo.
As to those specific fish. Both are a bit large or active for a 16 gallon. If i were to add any other fish it would probably be something that is small and doesnt need a large swimming area like a firefish.

Even here this might only work temporarily as the clowns get bigger and possibly more territorial.

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clowns is teetering on full imo.
As to those specific fish. Both are a bit large or active for a 16 gallon. If i were to add any other fish it would probably be something that is small and doesnt need a large swimming area like a firefish.

Even here this might only work temporarily as the clowns get bigger and possibly more territorial.

Ah, the websites I’ve found about the goby said 10g, but I’ll go for some smaller fish. About the clowns, I know but when they get to big Ill give them a larger home. Any other fish that will work? I like firefish a lot tho.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back