Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
What is the species name you're eferring to of the yellow and black chromis?

Some of the commonly sold fish under that name are Neoglyphidodon nigrosis, which is a very aggressive damsel species that gets large and loses the cool pattern. I would not recommend adding these guys at all.
Thanks for your reply. I got caught up in the moment without doing any real research. After doing research discovered that what you said was absolutely correct! Imagine putting 5 of those in your tank. They were labeled chromis, and as usual, buyer beware. LFS are notorious for omission of important facts. They won’t say unless you ask, and it better be specific. Thanks again.

T_BONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon (48x24x24) Deep Blue Pro with dual corner overflows. it is a mixed reef tank which now houses two clowns, lawnmower blenny, three chromis, serpent star, brittle star, various snails and a few hermits for cleanup crew, banded coral shrimp, and a six line. It has an eshoppes R-200 sump, reef octopus classic skimmer, two inch + sand bed, The tank has been setup for close to two and a half years now and one of the fish on my radar is the Marine Betta! Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Many thanks for your comments and suggestions and thanks @mdbannister for starting this thread.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot get a detectable Nitrate level in the tank... decided to increase bioload. Current stocking is as follows:

2 Mai Thai Clowns
2 Banggai Cardinals
1 Starry Blenny
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Yellow Corris Wrasse
1 Blue Green Chromis
1 "aberrant bristletooth tang"

Tank is a 93 cube, looking to add a small tro of Lyretail or Bartletts Anthias

109ACDD2-22B0-40BF-B3F3-38944C96F0C0.jpeg

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep coming back to this thread because you guys rock.

Is a Reefer 350 large enough for a yellow tang?

Currently have 2 b/w clowns.
1 royal gramma
1 springeri damsel
2 skunk cleaners
1 blood red cleaner
7 mexican turbo snails

Currently, the gramma is in distress. I thought it was the springeri at first, but the culprit has been the large clown. She's not female yet, but I'm guessing is in transition. She's absolutely terrorizing the gramma, even though they were cool for about 2.5 weeks. Now the gramma looks ROUGH. I've been trying to catch either fish to separate them (one will be in the sump as soon as I can catch them) and I have a time out box coming this weekend.

LFS connection says a larger fish in the tank will chill out the clown and suggests a tang. Anyone got any tips?

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of purchasing the last few pieces for my tank and I wanted to also get started on working out a stock list for my tank.

The tank is a 75g. Obviously what I would like to put in the tank and what can go in there safely is two diff things. My list below is what I would like to have over the long term and def not right away.

Kole Tang or Timini Tang they tend to be smaller for Tangs. 6 to 8 inches as grown ups. a 75 is considered small for Tangs.
2 x clowns (Black Ice / Snowflake clowns)

1 or 2 Firefish (or Purple) Goby
Orchid Dottyback - can be aggressive
Blue Spotted Jawfish
Sixline Wrasse or MCCOSKER'S FLASHER WRASSE or both.. put 6 line in last. There are many wrasses that can go together and tend to be peaceful 6 line is a bully sometimes.
Flame Angel or Pygmy Angelfish
1 x Royal Gramma -- aggressive in multiples

Possible List
2 x cardinalfish or Pajamas
2 x Pistol Shrimp with watchman type gobies.

Live Aquaria Cleaner package Don't get what you don't need. BUT, I did this gradually and not all at once. May not need peppermint shrimp if you don't have Aptasia, unless you really like them.
Package Contains
10 Trochus snails
15 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
2 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
10 Nassarius Snails

Eventually - after 8+ months of pod seeding
2 x Mandarin Dragonets's m/f

OK so I trimmed your list to what I would look at for the first 6 months of the tank.. Do you intend to put coral in as well??

Some of the things I would consider changing but my thoughts are.. No clam or BTA for the first year. Angels love clams. or most tend in that direction. I trimmed down your CuC (cleaners as you really don't need all those crabs in my opinion. I changed the snails to the ones I like.. I have not had good luck with turbo snails myself. If you plan on putting in a sand bed then the nassarius snails are great.. My first additions after cycling are your cleaners, one of the tangs, and a wrasse or 2 or 3. I would study up on your fish compatibilities.. I know there are some charts in R2R and plenty of advice to be found on YouTube..

leorii2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish will go well with a Stars and Stripes puffer. ) I think he is quite aggressive

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon (48x24x24) Deep Blue Pro with dual corner overflows. it is a mixed reef tank which now houses two clowns, lawnmower blenny, three chromis, serpent star, brittle star, various snails and a few hermits for cleanup crew, banded coral shrimp, and a six line. It has an eshoppes R-200 sump, reef octopus classic skimmer, two inch + sand bed, The tank has been setup for close to two and a half years now and one of the fish on my radar is the Marine Betta! Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Many thanks for your comments and suggestions and thanks @mdbannister for starting this thread.
Arine bettas are a great fish. However, they are a specialized shrimp eater, so the coral banded shrimp may be on the menu, depending on their respective sizes.

A small group of azure/talbots/ springeri damsels. These are well-behaved damsels that should be able to hold their own against some of your more aggressive, established fish.

A group of Lepidozygous are fish that will be out in the open and behave like anthias, but are hardier.
Cannot get a detectable Nitrate level in the tank... decided to increase bioload. Current stocking is as follows:

2 Mai Thai Clowns
2 Banggai Cardinals
1 Starry Blenny
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Yellow Corris Wrasse
1 Blue Green Chromis
1 "aberrant bristletooth tang"

Tank is a 93 cube, looking to add a small tro of Lyretail or Bartletts Anthias

109ACDD2-22B0-40BF-B3F3-38944C96F0C0.jpeg
Bartletts and lyretails are a bit aggressive with each other, so 93g may not be enough space. Consider a group of 5 dispar or randalls anthias instead.
I keep coming back to this thread because you guys rock.

Is a Reefer 350 large enough for a yellow tang?

Currently have 2 b/w clowns.
1 royal gramma
1 springeri damsel
2 skunk cleaners
1 blood red cleaner
7 mexican turbo snails

Currently, the gramma is in distress. I thought it was the springeri at first, but the culprit has been the large clown. She's not female yet, but I'm guessing is in transition. She's absolutely terrorizing the gramma, even though they were cool for about 2.5 weeks. Now the gramma looks ROUGH. I've been trying to catch either fish to separate them (one will be in the sump as soon as I can catch them) and I have a time out box coming this weekend.

LFS connection says a larger fish in the tank will chill out the clown and suggests a tang. Anyone got any tips?
In my opinion, 91g is not enough for a yellow tang.

Your clowns behavior sounds like it is a female. Catching the female and seperating it from the male may also trigger the male to begin transition to a female.

Unfortunately with clowns, even a bigger fish won't stop the aggression. Clowns will attack people doing maintenance in a tank. We're way bigger than any fish you can put in there. However, sometimes adding a few more active fish can distract the female from beating up the gramma too much.
What fish will go well with a Stars and Stripes puffer. ) I think he is quite aggressive
What size tank? Generally triggers, angels, tangs, fish-only wrasses will go quite well with large puffers.

DaveNJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B that is 4 years old. Contains SPS, LPS and 1 clown fish. I am planning to upgrade to a 75g. What order should I buy/place the fish? Any fish I listed that I shouldn't have in the tank?

clown
McCosker Flasher Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Firefish
Neon Dottyback

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, 91g is not enough for a yellow tang.

Your clowns behavior sounds like it is a female. Catching the female and seperating it from the male may also trigger the male to begin transition to a female.

Unfortunately with clowns, even a bigger fish won't stop the aggression. Clowns will attack people doing maintenance in a tank. We're way bigger than any fish you can put in there. However, sometimes adding a few more active fish can distract the female from beating up the gramma too much.
puffers.

Thanks for the insight. Do you have any recommendations for fish that might even things out? Or should I try to found a nem to hope the clowns will host somewhere specific in the tank and not chase others around?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B that is 4 years old. Contains SPS, LPS and 1 clown fish. I am planning to upgrade to a 75g. What order should I buy/place the fish? Any fish I listed that I shouldn't have in the tank?

clown
McCosker Flasher Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Firefish
Neon Dottyback

Would skip the dottyback very aggressive to other fish. A peaceful species of fairy wrasse will give you an active fish with striking colors. Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis as an example.

Firefish first
Then wrasse and blenny
What species pf clown?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

clown
McCosker Flasher Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Firefish
Neon Dottyback
That dottyback is too aggressive for that size tank.

Firefish should go first, then flasher.

A small fairy wrasse species would work, though aurantidorsalis is a little big for a 40. Consider isosceles, lubbocki, or for a little more $$ rhomboidalis.
Thanks for the insight. Do you have any recommendations for fish that might even things out? Or should I try to found a nem to hope the clowns will host somewhere specific in the tank and not chase others around?
Do you have a screen top?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do! ArtfullyAcrylic ran a sale for their jigsaw type lid and I jumped all over it.

I was thinking maybe a flasher wrasse, and a squaretail bristle tooth tang?
Small fairy and flasher wrasses would definitely work.

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon Innovative Marine all in one tank.
  • 1 tri color fairy wrasse
  • 2 occelaris clowns
  • 20 red and green bubble tip anemones (could be more, it is hard to count them)
  • some random zoas and acans that I dont mind losing
  • one inch sandbed
  • oversized skimmer, weekly 20% water changes
Currently pondering...
  • diamond goby
  • flame angel or potters angel
Having a mostly nem tank means I dont have to worry about angels chomping on my coral, so tempted to get the Flame or Potters.
In the past I have had diamond gobies jump, and I am worried that the existing wrasse make that happen again. (I do not want to run a screen on top of the tank)

Any other fish suggestions? I am open to anything. Thanks.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on a small school of small electric blue fish, kinda like springers damsels but more schooly? For a 180 with a fish population more on the sparse side - currently 8, but aiming for 14, plus this group.

2 onyx perculas
Mag Foxface
Purple tang
Yellow tang
Pink spotted goby
Randall’s goby
Single dispar anthia (6 died of something in QT) - will get 6 more

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon Innovative Marine all in one tank.
  • 1 tri color fairy wrasse
  • 2 occelaris clowns
  • 20 red and green bubble tip anemones (could be more, it is hard to count them)
  • some random zoas and acans that I dont mind losing
  • one inch sandbed
  • oversized skimmer, weekly 20% water changes
Currently pondering...
  • diamond goby
  • flame angel or potters angel
Having a mostly nem tank means I dont have to worry about angels chomping on my coral, so tempted to get the Flame or Potters.
In the past I have had diamond gobies jump, and I am worried that the existing wrasse make that happen again. (I do not want to run a screen on top of the tank)

Any other fish suggestions? I am open to anything. Thanks.
Diamond gobies and wrasses are notorious jumpers. You SHOULD have a lid if you're going to keep them.

Get the angel instead of the goby.
Any ideas on a small school of small electric blue fish, kinda like springers damsels but more schooly? For a 180 with a fish population more on the sparse side - currently 8, but aiming for 14, plus this group.

2 onyx perculas
Mag Foxface
Purple tang
Yellow tang
Pink spotted goby
Randall’s goby
Single dispar anthia (6 died of something in QT) - will get 6 more
Nothing really fits electric blue and schooling description. Lepidozygous are a contrast to the anthias, but more of a dull purple. Blue reef chromis don't really school. Fusiliers may work.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond gobies and wrasses are notorious jumpers. You SHOULD have a lid if you're going to keep them.

Get the angel instead of the goby.

Nothing really fits electric blue and schooling description. Lepidozygous are a contrast to the anthias, but more of a dull purple. Blue reef chromis don't really school. Fusiliers may work.

Thanks. Reef chromis look kinda pale though- don’t actually like them that much.

I might just try for 2-3 springerii and forego the schooling.

Thanks

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a pair of hawkfish for my tank. I’m trying to decide between Flame or Longnose. The tank is 125 gallons with a good amount of rock work. I’ve got a handful of hermits and snails but no shrimp. Would either be a better fit than the other? Could I get a pair of each? :) I would also like a pair of Mandarins at some point.

Sailfin Tang
Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Convict Tang
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
2 x Perc Clowns
2 x Bangaii Cardinals
3 x Pajama Cardinals
7 (if any are left) Red Stoplight Cardinals
3 x Royal Gramma
Rainford Goby (haven’t seen in weeks)
Lawnmower Blenny
Dwarf Golden Moray
Yellow Coris Wrasse

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright what do you guys think for my 60 gallon Cube:

2 black clowns
1 longnose hawkfish
1 purple firefish
1 yellow watchman goby

Would those work together? Could I add anything else? I'm going to be quarantining and adding these slowly, figured I should start with the firefish and goby if that's what I get.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work perfectly. The Firefish and Watchman first. After that Clowns and than Hawkfish. You can probably add one more smaller fish like Cardinalfish. If you decide on Cardinal add same time as Firefish . Good luck!

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back