Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a pair of hawkfish for my tank. I’m trying to decide between Flame or Longnose. The tank is 125 gallons with a good amount of rock work. I’ve got a handful of hermits and snails but no shrimp. Would either be a better fit than the other? Could I get a pair of each? :) I would also like a pair of Mandarins at some point.

Sailfin Tang
Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Convict Tang
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
2 x Perc Clowns
2 x Bangaii Cardinals
3 x Pajama Cardinals
7 (if any are left) Red Stoplight Cardinals
3 x Royal Gramma
Rainford Goby (haven’t seen in weeks)
Lawnmower Blenny
Dwarf Golden Moray
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Both the flame and longnose behaviors are comparable, so one won't be any better than the other. It is possible to add both prs if done around the same time.
Alright what do you guys think for my 60 gallon Cube:

2 black clowns
1 longnose hawkfish
1 purple firefish
1 yellow watchman goby

Would those work together? Could I add anything else? I'm going to be quarantining and adding these slowly, figured I should start with the firefish and goby if that's what I get.
Those fish will all work together. And your plan of firefish and goby first is good.

abbas.jaffer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are a community fish. So you could get started with some fairy, flasher, or small Halichoeres species.

I would wait a little longer for the tank to mature before adding a sand sifter, but you could add a watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo.

Larger fish that would work for that size tank would include pyramid butterfly, bellus angel, kole or tomini tang, foxface.

Yes, sunburst= fathead anthias. No, you wouldn't need an acclimation box.

Do you think i will have a problem with the lunatus wrasse picking on the fathead anthia? He’s kind of aggressive with my tailspot blenny right now.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 Gallon DT, 40G sump

Currently:

1 Midas Blenny
2 Perc Clowns

Wondering about adding:
Beta
4 wheel drive goby (2nd attempt)
Starry blenny

Thinking about doing all three at once.
(Depending on feedback)

Concerned about 4 week QT in a 10g with all three.
What do you feed the starry in QT?

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
C

jmsalt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trimma Cana gobies. 3 for a 7 gallon pico? These would be the only fish in the tank. Thought I read they are relatively short lived tho. Didn’t know if that is a known fact about the species or a function of being difficult to keep in captivity. Thoughts on these little guys? I actually ordered 3 from Dr.’s Foster & Smith a couple years ago and they arrived DOA and I never tried again from Trimma gobies or any other livestock. Maybe a better source?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 Gallon DT, 40G sump

Currently:

1 Midas Blenny
2 Perc Clowns

Wondering about adding:
Beta
4 wheel drive goby (2nd attempt)
Starry blenny

Thinking about doing all three at once.
(Depending on feedback)

Concerned about 4 week QT in a 10g with all three.
What do you feed the starry in QT?

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
C
Starry blennies can be aggressive in tight quarters. I wouldn't qt all 3 together because of that.

Find a starry blenny that is eating and spirulina brine should suffice during qt.
Trimma Cana gobies. 3 for a 7 gallon pico? These would be the only fish in the tank. Thought I read they are relatively short lived tho. Didn’t know if that is a known fact about the species or a function of being difficult to keep in captivity. Thoughts on these little guys? I actually ordered 3 from Dr.’s Foster & Smith a couple years ago and they arrived DOA and I never tried again from Trimma gobies or any other livestock. Maybe a better source?
Even though they are short lived they should still last at least a year.

Annelise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking to add something new to my 30 mixed reef. I have a pair if clowns, 6 line, dwarf Pygmy cherub, and a tailspot Blenny. I’m not set on getting anything, I just thought another fish could possibly work? So my question is, is my bio load already toped off? And if not then what types of fish would you all suggest? :) my tank is pretty dang aggressive, the clowns were added last and the female is the BOSS of the tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking to add something new to my 30 mixed reef. I have a pair if clowns, 6 line, dwarf Pygmy cherub, and a tailspot Blenny. I’m not set on getting anything, I just thought another fish could possibly work? So my question is, is my bio load already toped off? And if not then what types of fish would you all suggest? :) my tank is pretty dang aggressive, the clowns were added last and the female is the BOSS of the tank.
That's a pretty aggressive mix. You'll be hard pressed to get something in there that won't get beat up, or worse. Maybe a watchman goby, maybe....

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 50 Gallon PNP system with a sump.
24"x24"x20"

I want to add another blue fish with possibly some yellow in it. Open to suggestions.

How about a Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish?

My aquarium is a mixed reef.

Current stocklisted.

Damsel is on the way out due to aggression against my Royal Gramma. Kupang Damsel is currently in the sump until I can get it over to the LFS.

Screenshot_20190501-213030.jpg

I want to add o

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 50 Gallon PNP system with a sump.
24"x24"x20"

I want to add another blue fish with possibly some yellow in it. Open to suggestions.

How about a Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish?

My aquarium is a mixed reef.

Current stocklisted.

Damsel is on the way out due to aggression against my Royal Gramma. Kupang Damsel is currently in the sump until I can get it over to the LFS.

Screenshot_20190501-213030.jpg

I want to add o
If a kupang is too aggressive, then a cherub angel will likely be too aggressive as well. IME cherub angels are more aggressive than kupang damsels.

Chalk bass is light blue, a trio of blue gudgeons,

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a kupang is too aggressive, then a cherub angel will likely be too aggressive as well. IME cherub angels are more aggressive than kupang damsels.

Chalk bass is light blue, a trio of blue gudgeons,

Thank you for the response. Would the blue gudgeons need to be in a trio? Or could I get just 1?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But more of them may be more aggressive to a newcomer....

1 on its own will be more likely to hide.

Hmm OK, how about a Ora/biota Mandarin Goby? Assuming I setup a Refugium with pods beforehand. Keep in mind I have a Melanurus Wrasse and my tank is 50 gallons. I could feed frozen 3 times daily if that helps at all.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm OK, how about a Ora/biota Mandarin Goby? Assuming I setup a Refugium with pods beforehand. Keep in mind I have a Melanurus Wrasse and my tank is 50 gallons. I could feed frozen 3 times daily if that helps at all.
Nope. A 50g will barely suffice for a mandarin without another pod eater. With a melanurus you would need a larger system.

Adding pods isn't really a viable solution, as a mandarin consumes more pods in a week than are in the bags sent.

Mandarins eat almost non-stop, so even if one does take the foods offered(most don't), it would still need alot of pods, and the size of your system and fact you have another podeater will limit your chances of success.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. A 50g will barely suffice for a mandarin without another pod eater. With a melanurus you would need a larger system.

Adding pods isn't really a viable solution, as a mandarin consumes more pods in a week than are in the bags sent.

Mandarins eat almost non-stop, so even if one does take the foods offered(most don't), it would still need alot of pods, and the size of your system and fact you have another podeater will limit your chances of success.

Ok, bummer. That's what I figured, will have to wait until I upgrade before thinking about a Mandarin. Thanks again for all the help.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me again. How about Swalesi basslet or chalk basslet. Will either one of these be OK?

Just a reminder 50 gallon 24x24x20 with all the fish below except the Azure Damsel. He's in the sump and getting sent back to the LFS tomorrow.

Screenshot_20190503-211138.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best size 'school', lol, shoal, for azure damsels in a 75 gallon tank?

6 max as personal preference. Do I need more? Or the classic DD trio? Or will it be "the chromis down to one" experience?

Tank will have a full bioload of non/semi aggressive 'community' fish.

Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me again. How about Swalesi basslet or chalk basslet. Will either one of these be OK?

Just a reminder 50 gallon 24x24x20 with all the fish below except the Azure Damsel. He's in the sump and getting sent back to the LFS tomorrow.

Screenshot_20190503-211138.jpg
Either of those SHOULS work, though the gramma may chase them away from his cave.
Best size 'school', lol, shoal, for azure damsels in a 75 gallon tank?

6 max as personal preference. Do I need more? Or the classic DD trio? Or will it be "the chromis down to one" experience?

Tank will have a full bioload of non/semi aggressive 'community' fish.

Thanks!
They won't school or shoal. Each one will claim its own little territory. Any number will work between 1-8.

Back