Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When clowns get aggressive it rarely gets better. 'sumping' the flame angel may work. They can always be a little assertive, but usually not to bad for fish that are able to get established.

Well, he's beyond assertive at this point, lol.

So that I don't goof up anymore going forward, future stock list is:

Dispar/Bartlett Anthias x 5
Fairy/Flasher Wrasses x 2-3

Assuming I sell the mated clowns, and 'sump' the flame angel and the yellow Tang, will it matter which order I add the Anthias/Wrasse? Should I add them all so once? How long after the new additions are in and settled before returning the flame angel and yellow tang?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When clowns get aggressive it rarely gets better. 'sumping' the flame angel may work. They can always be a little assertive, but usually not to bad for fish that are able to get established.

Well, he's beyond assertive at this point, lol.

So that I don't goof up anymore going forward, future stock list is:

Dispar/Bartlett Anthias x 5
Fairy/Flasher Wrasses x 2-3

Assuming I sell the mated clowns, and 'sump' the flame angel and the yellow Tang, will it matter which order I add the Anthias/Wrasse? Should I add them all so once? How long after the new additions are in and settled before returning the flame angel and yellow tang?
Do dispar, not bartletts. Bartletts can be more aggressive.

Order doesn't matter for anthias and wrasses.

I would wait 2 weeks of letting the wrasses and anthias get comfortable before returning the others to the tank.

Aco5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I currently have a royal gramma, pink stripe goby, 2 midnight clowns, 3 barletts anthias, 2 chromis, and a coral beauty in a 75 gal mixed reef tank. Do you think the addition of 2 pink margin fairy wrasse would be ok?

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a GHA breakout and was considering getting a lawnmower blenny. I have a midas blenny already...will they get along?

Sagecritter4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lawnmower and Midas together in my 50 gal display for almost a year and I have never seen any aggression between the two [emoji6] I have a fire fish in there that the Midas pesters quit a bit though lol.

My orange back wrasse chases all of them from time to time exerting dominance but hasn't actually harmed any of them [emoji6]

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lawnmower and Midas together in my 50 gal display for almost a year and I have never seen any aggression between the two [emoji6] I have a fire fish in there that the Midas pesters quit a bit though lol.

My orange back wrasse chases all of them from time to time exerting dominance but hasn't actually harmed any of them [emoji6]
Perfect, that was what i was hoping for!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a GHA breakout and was considering getting a lawnmower blenny. I have a midas blenny already...will they get along?

They both have different areas of the water column they inhabit and the venomous fangs of the midas stop most fights with enough volume. But I honestly would look at the cause of the gha first as lawnmower blenny’s are not always that effective at controlling it. They are not as obligated to algae as some tangs or angels and could simply add to the bioload instead of combating the gha.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I currently have a royal gramma, pink stripe goby, 2 midnight clowns, 3 barletts anthias, 2 chromis, and a coral beauty in a 75 gal mixed reef tank. Do you think the addition of 2 pink margin fairy wrasse would be ok?
You could do 1 pink margin but not 2. Do not keep multiples of the same species of fairy wrasse.

Maybe, maybe not. Midas blennies spend more time in the water column, so aren't as territorial as lawnmower blennies, and the midas being in first will help the lawnmower blenny view the whole tank as 'his.' However, I have had some particularly pugnacious lawnmower blennies. Having more real estate helps.

They both have different areas of the water column they inhabit and the venomous fangs of the midas stop most fights with enough volume. But I honestly would look at the cause of the gha first as lawnmower blenny’s are not always that effective at controlling it. They are not as obligated to algae as some tangs or angels and could simply add to the bioload instead of combating the gha.
I agree with most of this, except that midas blennies aren't venomous....

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 foot 92G mixed reef
Nitrates steadily at 0.2-0.5 ppm

- Purple tang
- 2 black photon clowns
- Radiant Wrasse
- Red Mandarin Dragonet
- Yellow watchman goby
- Royal Grama Basslet
- Cleaner Wrasse

My Purple tang often roams around but hides as soon as he see’s someone approach in my living room where the tank is…

I was told I should consider adding another tang to make him come out but the idea terrifies me.
My LFS currently has a really nice two-spot bristle tooth tang I fell in love with. Would it be possible to add it with an acclimation box?

Alternatively I’m considering a Blue Throat Fairy Wrasse but I’m not sure if it would be an issue with my Radiant wrasse.

Also considering a midas blenny but I had bad luck with a tailspot blenny in the past. Very aggressive and nipped at Montiporas like it was a Chinese buffet..

Any thoughts or input that would help me make some decisions?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 foot 92G mixed reef
Nitrates steadily at 0.2-0.5 ppm

- Purple tang
- 2 black photon clowns
- Radiant Wrasse
- Red Mandarin Dragonet
- Yellow watchman goby
- Royal Grama Basslet
- Cleaner Wrasse

My Purple tang often roams around but hides as soon as he see’s someone approach in my living room where the tank is…

I was told I should consider adding another tang to make him come out but the idea terrifies me.
My LFS currently has a really nice two-spot bristle tooth tang I fell in love with. Would it be possible to add it with an acclimation box?

Alternatively I’m considering a Blue Throat Fairy Wrasse but I’m not sure if it would be an issue with my Radiant wrasse.

Also considering a midas blenny but I had bad luck with a tailspot blenny in the past. Very aggressive and nipped at Montiporas like it was a Chinese buffet..

Any thoughts or input that would help me make some decisions?
I would not add a 2nd tang to that size tank. How long have you had the purple tang? As he associateso you with food he should become more outgoing.

A blue throat fairy won't be an issue with your radiant wrasse, but blue throats tend to lose the blue.

Midas blennies are usually less nippy than tailspots.

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add a 2nd tang to that size tank. How long have you had the purple tang? As he associateso you with food he should become more outgoing.

A blue throat fairy won't be an issue with your radiant wrasse, but blue throats tend to lose the blue.

Midas blennies are usually less nippy than tailspots.

Thanks, I was concerned about the tang as well.

I might pull the trigger on the midas blenny after all... I'd like to find something that is active and out and about for a good part of the day. A lot of what I was looking into isn't reef safe enough to my taste (angels and copper band)

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was concerned about the tang as well.

I might pull the trigger on the midas blenny after all... I'd like to find something that is active and out and about for a good part of the day. A lot of what I was looking into isn't reef safe enough to my taste (angels and copper band)
Love my Midas.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
I’m looking to add one last “centerpiece” fish to my reefer 350 to compliment my existing regal angel and purple tang.
I’ve been looking at a gold flake angel but I’m a bit worried about introducing one to a tank with an established regal.

I’m well aware of the fact that I may have to find a new home for it down the line if it outgrows the tank but I figure that it shouldn’t be to difficult.

Here’s my tank for reference
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/michael’s-reefer-350-reefing-in-sweden.374583/

What do you guys think? Could it be doable?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
I’m looking to add one last “centerpiece” fish to my reefer 350 to compliment my existing regal angel and purple tang.
I’ve been looking at a gold flake angel but I’m a bit worried about introducing one to a tank with an established regal.

I’m well aware of the fact that I may have to find a new home for it down the line if it outgrows the tank but I figure that it shouldn’t be to difficult.

Here’s my tank for reference
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/michael’s-reefer-350-reefing-in-sweden.374583/

What do you guys think? Could it be doable?

You may already be over your stocking limit as it is in a 120cm x 53 cm x 50 cm tank. The regal angel alone can get to 25cm. I would not add any more fish till you do the eventual upgrade.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may already be over your stocking limit as it is in a 120cm x 53 cm x 50 cm tank. The regal angel alone can get to 25cm. I would not add any more fish till you do the eventual upgrade.

I might not have been to clear: I’m well aware of the potential size of the gold flake as well as the regal and if they were to outgrow the tank I’ll find them a good home with someone with a bigger tank.

I don’t really foresee the regal being a problem size wise as it’s 8-9cm currently and they tend to be slow growers, maxing out at around 15-17cm in my experience.

It’s more of a compatibility question. I don’t want to kick of ww3 I’m my tank [emoji1]

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might not have been to clear: I’m well aware of the potential size of the gold flake as well as the regal and if they were to outgrow the tank I’ll find them a good home with someone with a bigger tank.

I don’t really foresee the regal being a problem size wise as it’s 8-9cm currently and they tend to be slow growers, maxing out at around 15-17cm in my experience.

It’s more of a compatibility question. I don’t want to kick of ww3 I’m my tank [emoji1]
You are wanting to add a fish that will outgrow the tank, to a tank with other fish that will outgrow the tank, and have potential to be aggressive to each other. The potential for aggression is amped up in cramped conditions. Why risk it when there are so many other species that would work just fine?

These are not inanimate objects, they are living creatures that face real consequences for our bad decisions.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are wanting to add a fish that will outgrow the tank, to a tank with other fish that will outgrow the tank, and have potential to be aggressive to each other. The potential for aggression is amped up in cramped conditions. Why risk it when there are so many other species that would work just fine?

These are not inanimate objects, they are living creatures that face real consequences for our bad decisions.

Like I said, they won’t outgrow the tank since I won’t let it get to a point where space will be an issue. I have some friends with big tanks that wouldn’t say no to a free established regal/goldflake ;)
I fully agree with you, they are living creatures and their well being should be paramount. I would never buy something if I couldn’t care for it for it’s whole life/had a suitable solution in place.

My question is if there’s a high chance of aggression between juvenile fish since I’ve only ever kept a regal without any other angels. If that’s the case then of course it’s not something that I would consider attempting, that would be irresponsible.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, they won’t outgrow the tank since I won’t let it get to a point where space will be an issue. I have some friends with big tanks that wouldn’t say no to a free established regal/goldflake ;)
I fully agree with you, they are living creatures and their well being should be paramount. I would never buy something if I couldn’t care for it for it’s whole life/had a suitable solution in place.

My question is if there’s a high chance of aggression between juvenile fish since I’ve only ever kept a regal without any other angels. If that’s the case then of course it’s not something that I would consider attempting, that would be irresponsible.
There is a greater chance of aggression with the purple tang. Thats an undersized tank for it and they can take a strong dislike to laterally compressed fish.

RedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 65 gallon cube. When I start setting up a tank I like to get a good idea of a stocking list. For coral I am planning on hammers, torchs, and lots of zoas. As for fish I had in mind the following.
- Pacific Redstripe Hogfish
- Pair of Clownfish (Debating Occellaris or Maroons)
- Longnose Hawkfish
- Yasha Hasha Goby Pair + Red Banded Pistol Shrimp
- Pair of Ruby Dragonetes (Will Have Refugium)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back