Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am looking for some input on a stocking plan. I am brand new to the hobby and have done a lot of research but not put much of it into practice yet. My system is a 40 breeder with 20 long sump finishing its 4th week of the cycle. Ive been testing ammonia every day and drops to 0 within about 6 to 8 hours of dosing recommended amount of ammonia chloride. It will have new generation AI prime 16s, Reef Oct skimmer and about a 5 gallon fuge. I do plan on a mix reef with mostly LPS and I may try my hand at SPS later. A RBTA is also a must I understand it may adjust and hit a coral but ive always wanted one.

My current stocking plan is as follows;

Black Ice Clown and typical black and white clown (will these two get along okay?)
Firefish
Diamond goby shrimp pair (will the firefish get along? Isnt this technically a goby)
6 line wrasse
Various CUC.

Id love a powder brown or naso tang but i dont think my system is large enough yet. I am open to suggestions for more utilitarian fish as well.

TIA!

1013192034.jpg
The clowns will be ok as long as the are both from the same genus. Like both ocellaris or both percula. Diamond gobies will not pair with pistol shrimp. Also diamond gobies feed primarily off the micro fauna in the sand bed which requires a mature and good sized sand bed. I just added my diamond to a 110 gallon at 18 months. They typically starve and wither away if added to soon. 6 line wrasse are very aggressive and would not recommend one in that size tank or with that group of fish.

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns will be ok as long as the are both from the same genus. Like both ocellaris or both percula. Diamond gobies will not pair with pistol shrimp. Also diamond gobies feed primarily off the micro fauna in the sand bed which requires a mature and good sized sand bed. I just added my diamond to a 110 gallon at 18 months. They typically starve and wither away if added to soon. 6 line wrasse are very aggressive and would not recommend one in that size tank or with that group of fish.
Awesome, what about the firefish and goby. Would they fight for territory? I also thought a flame angel but they tend to pick at softies and lps dont they?

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have those fish in a Nuvo 40: 2 classic clowns, yellow clown goby, midas blenny, six line wrasse. Am I done with my stock list or is there any fish I could add without overpopulating? The 6 line isn't really an issue, he's territorial but drops agression very quickly and has never hurt another fish

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have those fish in a Nuvo 40: 2 classic clowns, yellow clown goby, midas blenny, six line wrasse. Am I done with my stock list or is there any fish I could add without overpopulating? The 6 line isn't really an issue, he's territorial but drops agression very quickly and has never hurt another fish

I think it depends what other fish your thinking of. What do you have in mind? If you're not done I would say you're close at the very least.

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends what other fish your thinking of. What do you have in mind? If you're not done I would say you're close at the very least.

Mostly considering a goby of some sort, something that will populate the bottom of the aquarium. I kinda want a mandarin too but unless I get a refugium with chaeto it's out of the question, not willing to spot feed a fish several times a day.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly considering a goby of some sort, something that will populate the bottom of the aquarium. I kinda want a mandarin too but unless I get a refugium with chaeto it's out of the question, not willing to spot feed a fish several times a day.

I feel a small goby would be great! Do you have any corals? Clown gobies are bright and colorful with fun perching habits. They also stay very small which would be nice for a tank your size. The reason I ask if you have coral is they tend to nip at SPS to perch on them. At least mine used to when I had a couple. They never killed the coral but you could see a few bare spots where they nipped polyps off to sit more comfortable.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, what about the firefish and goby. Would they fight for territory? I also thought a flame angel but they tend to pick at softies and lps dont they?
No issues with the goby and firefish at all. Your tank is to small for a flame angel.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your filtration is keeping levels that your ok with then you are fine to add more. I’m concerned about the 6 line. It will grow up and realize what it is most likely.
I would consider for color and activity an azure damsel or blue dudgeon dart fish, and for the bottom a wheeler goby w a candy cane pistol shrimp

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29-gallon tank with two PJ Cardinals. Could I get a yellow watchman goby, a clownfish, and a royal gramma?
Bumping this since I didn’t see an answer for it and I have a similar stocking plan, with two differences. I plan to have two clown fish an one PJ Cardinal (as well as a royal gramma and a goby). Also my tank is 25 gallons. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this since I didn’t see an answer for it and I have a similar stocking plan, with two differences. I plan to have two clown fish an one PJ Cardinal (as well as a royal gramma and a goby). Also my tank is 25 gallons. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I think that would work. Diamond goby get pretty large, could look into another type of sand sifting goby. I have a sleeper head goby, only gets to 5" and is more narrow than the diamond goby.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would work. Diamond goby get pretty large, could look into another type of sand sifting goby. I have a sleeper head goby, only gets to 5" and is more narrow than the diamond goby.
The stocking list will work except I would not recommend a sand sifting goby. They require a large, mature sand bed as their primary diet is microfauna. They will eat some prepared foods as well but tend to slowly starve if they can’t fulfill their diet from the microfauna. I just added a diamond goby to my 110 gallon at 18 months maturity. This helped to ensure a constant food source.

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tha
The stocking list will work except I would not recommend a sand sifting goby. They require a large, mature sand bed as their primary diet is microfauna. They will eat some prepared foods as well but tend to slowly starve if they can’t fulfill their diet from the microfauna. I just added a diamond goby to my 110 gallon at 18 months maturity. This helped to ensure a constant food source.
Thanks a lot - it makes sense. So which gobies could I get? Or perhaps I should substitute a fire dart fish for the goby? So in summary, for my 25 gallon the following would be the stocking, in order of introduction:

1 PJ Cardinal
1 goby that is not sand sifting or a fire dart dish
1 Royal purple gramma
2 Clowns.

If the above is overstocked, I don’t mind removing the PJ Cardinal. Also please let me know if the above order of introducing the fish to the tank is a good one.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tha

Thanks a lot - it makes sense. So which gobies could I get? Or perhaps I should substitute a fire dart fish for the goby? So in summary, for my 25 gallon the following would be the stocking, in order of introduction:

1 PJ Cardinal
1 goby that is not sand sifting or a fire dart dish
1 Royal purple gramma
2 Clowns.

If the above is overstocked, I don’t mind removing the PJ Cardinal. Also please let me know if the above order of introducing the fish to the tank is a good one.
This will all work. Add in any order, just add clowns last. Ensure your filtration can keep up with the bio load.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on new additions please

Hello! Not sure how to start a new string here but hoping for some thoughts. I have a 120G reefer that currently has 2 snowflake clowns, Diamondback goby, blue chromis, maxima clam, and five turban snails. Also have kenya tree coral, green star polyp, frogspawn, and BTA.

I’m starting to develop a stocking plan and would like to add:

Blue spotted puffer
Starry blenny
Coral beauty angelfish
Yellow tang or powder blue tang

would appreciate any thoughts on order of adding fish or risks to overall plan

thanks in advance

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit I don't know much about puffers but with the puffer and the angelfish you run the risk of them hurting corals/clam. I would worry about the clam with the puffer and the coral with the angelfish. Some do great, some do not. I have a pygmy that, as far as I can tell, is a model citizen. My rabbitfish however....

Ask yourself now - do you value fish or corals more? I thought I valued fish more when I started but now I have all upgraded equipment for corals and I want corals more. So I have to rehome my rabbitfish which is not going to be easy. Adding a puffer would really limit a clean up crew. Which is helpful with reef tanks but not a necessity. I like my urchins too much though.

The blenny or tangs won't be an issue - just know the associated risks that come with them. Be able to treat them for disease, etc. They do get big and you may find yourself having to rehome if they get too large. Add the blenny first, he is gonna be a peaceful fish for sure. I would add tang last IMO. But this is also with no experience with puffers :)

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon tank with a clown (will be getting a second), a royal gramma, and a pistol shrimp and Randall’s goby. I really want a firefish too. What do you all think about a flame hawk in there?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon tank with a clown (will be getting a second), a royal gramma, and a pistol shrimp and Randall’s goby. I really want a firefish too. What do you all think about a flame hawk in there?
That will all work. Be sure your new clown is the same genus......like both ocellaris or both percula and be sure the new one is smaller than your current one.

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a royal gramma, 2x clownfish, and a coral beauty. I am setting up my new reefer 250 soon and going SPS only. What fish would be good in a reefer 250 for the betterment of the reef? Thinking about getting rid of the coral beauty, adding a yellow tang. And maybe 1 or 2 more fish. Any suggestions or ideas?

Edit: Also will be a bare-bottom tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back