Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g almost done cycling, going for a real easy low tech setup because I justill had a new born haha. Looking for fish with a purpouse, currently have 2 clowns and a cleaner, would like to get a file fish and either tailspot or lawnmower blenny. Aquarium will be all softies looking for suggestions please :) also got a mixed clean up crew coming in of about 21 critters, Mexican hermits and nass/cerith snails. :)

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom Display 128 gallons (actual water volume)

Current inhabitants:

(2) percs
(1) Starry Blenny
(1) Midas Blenny
(1) Marine Beta

Additions I am planning:
McCosckers
Pink Margin Fairy
White Tail Bristletooth
4 Wheel Goby
Mandarin

Thoughts welcome. Any glaring issues?
Goby and Mandarin are a ways out still. Need to get fuge and pod population going.
Also interested in advice on timing for adding the Wrasse's and Tang. Can both wrasse hang in a 10 gallon QT and be added at the same time? Tang before or after, doesn't matter etc...

Thanks in advance,
C

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom Display 128 gallons (actual water volume)

Current inhabitants:

(2) percs
(1) Starry Blenny
(1) Midas Blenny
(1) Marine Beta

Additions I am planning:
McCosckers
Pink Margin Fairy
White Tail Bristletooth
4 Wheel Goby
Mandarin

Thoughts welcome. Any glaring issues?
Goby and Mandarin are a ways out still. Need to get fuge and pod population going.
Also interested in advice on timing for adding the Wrasse's and Tang. Can both wrasse hang in a 10 gallon QT and be added at the same time? Tang before or after, doesn't matter etc...

Thanks in advance,
C
It’s good except for 4 Wheeler’s gobies. Gobies are not tolerant of conspecifics unless they are a bonded pair. Like Mr and Mrs Smith!
4D3C35BF-FD2F-4F9C-A6FF-3F6712B832AC.jpeg

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. That’s what I thought. Just planning on one so should be good. Think there might have been some confusion on the way I listed that one.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. That’s what I thought. Just planning on one so should be good. Think there might have been some confusion on the way I listed that one.
Ok. Any other questions? And is that an eagle in your avatar?

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only suggestions on which order/ how to add the wrassses and tang is any. I don’t think it will mTter with this group, but opinions welcome.

And it’s a Harris hawk from my “hawk walk” at the ireland school of falconry. One of the coolest experiences I have ever had.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add the fish in any order as I don’t see any issues. Very cool hawk and that must have been a great experience for sure.

oversd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R family,

so my question isn’t which fish is good for my tank, my question is how the hell do you remove a blue devil damsel from a tank I already found out he isn’t good for the tank kind of a big bully.

75402ECE-9B0A-4C5E-AC80-03CECB9016A8.jpeg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g almost done cycling, going for a real easy low tech setup because I justill had a new born haha. Looking for fish with a purpouse, currently have 2 clowns and a cleaner, would like to get a file fish and either tailspot or lawnmower blenny. Aquarium will be all softies looking for suggestions please :) also got a mixed clean up crew coming in of about 21 critters, Mexican hermits and nass/cerith snails. :)
I would honestly look at a kole tang or a dwarf angel than blenny if looking for an algae eater. Blenny’s as they age eat less and less algae. A file fish is more of a temporary aptasia fix than a permanent reef member. Look to see if your local club has one they trade as needed.

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly look at a kole tang or a dwarf angel than blenny if looking for an algae eater. Blenny’s as they age eat less and less algae. A file fish is more of a temporary aptasia fix than a permanent reef member. Look to see if your local club has one they trade as needed.
Oh, I find the filefish so beautiful and unique lol

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers! New to reefing and currently have 2 clowns in QT waiting to be transferred to my DT.

Tank is just under 100 gallons with a 40 gallon sump with a protein skimmer.

Tank dimension: 54" in width, 26" length, and 17.5" height.

Below are the fish I'm looking to get. Can you let me know if they are all compatible, if it's too many fish for my tank, and what the stocking order would be?

Thank you!

2 Clowns currently in QT
Would like to add the following after:
1 Purple Firefish
1 Blue Tang
1 Yellow Tang
2 Chalk Basslets
4 Lyretail Anthias
4 Chromis - 2 Bicolor / 2 Green
1 Goby of some sort. - Using CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand - 1-2mm grain size. Depth in my tank varies from 1.5" to 2.75"
1 Blenny of some sort.

For CUC - Currently have 6 Hermits. Which Shrimp and Snails would be good?

Thank you!

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers! New to reefing and currently have 2 clowns in QT waiting to be transferred to my DT.

Tank is just under 100 gallons with a 40 gallon sump with a protein skimmer.

Tank dimension: 54" in width, 26" length, and 17.5" height.

Below are the fish I'm looking to get. Can you let me know if they are all compatible, if it's too many fish for my tank, and what the stocking order would be?

Thank you!

2 Clowns currently in QT
Would like to add the following after:
1 Purple Firefish
1 Blue Tang
1 Yellow Tang
2 Chalk Basslets
4 Lyretail Anthias
4 Chromis - 2 Bicolor / 2 Green
1 Goby of some sort. - Using CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand - 1-2mm grain size. Depth in my tank varies from 1.5" to 2.75"
1 Blenny of some sort.

For CUC - Currently have 6 Hermits. Which Shrimp and Snails would be good?

Thank you!
l would skip the chromis and increase the anthias school size. Chromis ime start as a school and end up with 1 eventually.

Lyretails can be a bit more aggressive than other anthias so add the fire fish and the goby In first batch after clowns.
Then the chalk basslets and blenny together.

Then the anthias.

The last batch would be the tangs.

Cuc i like blue legs and scarlet hermits. Start with 1 each per 10 gallons of netrite, ceriths, turban, and astrea snails. Can increase later as your nutrients fish population increases, but will avoid die offs if not enough to eat.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
l would skip the chromis and increase the anthias school size. Chromis ime start as a school and end up with 1 eventually.

Lyretails can be a bit more aggressive than other anthias so add the fire fish and the goby In first batch after clowns.

Then the anthias.

Cuc i like blue legs and scarlet hermits. Start with 1 each per 10 gallons of netrite, ceriths, turban, and astrea snails. Can increase later as your nutrients fish population increases, but will avoid die offs if not enough to eat.

THanks Gareth. The Chromis are actually the last on my list, so I can skip them and increase anthias size. Can I QT the Goby and Firefish in the same tank?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
THanks Gareth. The Chromis are actually the last on my list, so I can skip them and increase anthias size. Can I QT the Goby and Firefish in the same tank?
yes, both will be fine together in qt :)

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Then the anthias.

Forgot that I will also be getting a Royal Gramma. When and which fish can i keep it with during TTM Quarantine? Thanks!

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine in your tank size, i would probably qt with the fire fish batch. They are related to the chalk basslet, in a smaller qt with their minimal decor might not work if qt’d at the same time. But after being added to your larger display should stake out different hideaways.

mark2103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right Fish or NOt ?

2 Purpleback pseudochromis
Pepermint shrimp
royal gramma
Yellow Tang
Firefish Goby
Bicolor Angelfish
Sixline Wrasse
2 clownfish

I would add the fish in order from least aggresive to most aggresive so

1. Firefish
2. Royal Gramma
3. Clownfish
5. Purplebacks and Sixline (These guys are known to be aggresive and boss all the fish around if added first)
4. Bicolor Angel and Yellow tang at the same time (They swim and eat very similarly)

There is a chance the wrasse may eat the peppermint shrimp so I would go with a bigger sized one like a Skunk or Fire shrimp

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back