Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Getting back in to reef keeping. I set up a IM Fusion 10, it cycling now. It’s very near ready to begin stocking. The plan is to stock fish first, then make the water ready and stable for corals.

i likely will only put a couple fish in this in the tank. I’m considering a dwarf lion fish and a clown fish of some variety, unsure of which yet. Does anyone see a potentia issue with these fish.

https://www.omegasea.net/

Plauri55

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm looking for one more fish for my 75 gallon reef tank.
Current stock:
1 Spotcintus Clown
1 BristleTooth Tang. 5"
1 Blue spotted watchman Goby
1 Wheeler's goby and his pistol shrimp
1 Royal Gramma
1 Bellus Angel
2 PJ cardinal fish
3 Zebra Barred Dartfish

Only aggression ever seen would be angel chasing Cardinals
And the Tang did not like my now deceased Lawnmower blenny. But Tang is buddy with watchman Goby. Think it was a herbivore thing.

Never had good luck with Fairy or flasher wrasses.

Open to all suggestions. Just needs to be reef safe. And at least semi-aggressive to deal with Tang?
Thanks

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 180 gallon with a powder brown. Could I do 4 yellow clo n gobies? I see it says they may fight in smaller aquariums any experience in theaefiah Tia

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Getting back in to reef keeping. I set up a IM Fusion 10, it cycling now. It’s very near ready to begin stocking. The plan is to stock fish first, then make the water ready and stable for corals.

i likely will only put a couple fish in this in the tank. I’m considering a dwarf lion fish and a clown fish of some variety, unsure of which yet. Does anyone see a potentia issue with these fish.
A smaller clown species should be fine, but definitely not the dwarf lionfish. For a 10g system, I wouldn't stock anything that gets over 3" max size; a DLF is 7" at max.

Unless of course you have a larger tank you are planning to move grow-out fish to.

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm looking for one more fish for my 75 gallon reef tank.
Current stock:
1 Spotcintus Clown
1 BristleTooth Tang. 5"
1 Blue spotted watchman Goby
1 Wheeler's goby and his pistol shrimp
1 Royal Gramma
1 Bellus Angel
2 PJ cardinal fish
3 Zebra Barred Dartfish

Only aggression ever seen would be angel chasing Cardinals
And the Tang did not like my now deceased Lawnmower blenny. But Tang is buddy with watchman Goby. Think it was a herbivore thing.

Never had good luck with Fairy or flasher wrasses.

Open to all suggestions. Just needs to be reef safe. And at least semi-aggressive to deal with Tang?
Thanks
Possibly a second, noticeably smaller (or larger) Spotcinctus clown. A pair would be nice.

https://www.omegasea.net/

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
A smaller clown species should be fine, but definitely not the dwarf lionfish. For a 10g system, I wouldn't stock anything that gets over 3" max size; a DLF is 7" at max.

Unless of course you have a larger tank you are planning to move grow-out fish to.
I will likely move to a 20 later in the year. Way back on the day, when small reefs were said to be impossible to keep; I had a dwarf lion in a 5 gallon for a while. It did fine in the 5, however; it was very likely a juvenile. I don’t remember it was so long ago. I know it was in there for at least a year.

leheath8

View Badges
Reaction score
Just moved and had to sell my 75g with 55g sump. Have now set up RedSea Reefer 170 Deluxe and my new house. It's been a long time since I've had a smaller tank, so not sure about fish stocking levels. Tank will be a mixed reef with mostly softies and LPS. No plans or interest in SPS. Decent skimmer install and will eventually add algal scrubber or refugium in the sump (haven't decided which yet).

I currently have 1 pair of clown fish and 1 Lubbock's wrasse. Will eventually add one or a pair of gobies with a pistol shrimp.

Can I add anything more? If yes, any suggestions? Was thinking maybe a Banggai Cardinal? Or maybe something blue? Looking to provide a nice contrast with the purple and orange of the current fish...

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Just moved and had to sell my 75g with 55g sump. Have now set up RedSea Reefer 170 Deluxe and my new house. It's been a long time since I've had a smaller tank, so not sure about fish stocking levels. Tank will be a mixed reef with mostly softies and LPS. No plans or interest in SPS. Decent skimmer install and will eventually add algal scrubber or refugium in the sump (haven't decided which yet).

I currently have 1 pair of clown fish and 1 Lubbock's wrasse. Will eventually add one or a pair of gobies with a pistol shrimp.

Can I add anything more? If yes, any suggestions? Was thinking maybe a Banggai Cardinal? Or maybe something blue? Looking to provide a nice contrast with the purple and orange of the current fish...
You should be fine with adding the cardinal, but I would only get one goby with a shrimp. Gobies don't typically get along with each other.

You could also skip the pistol shrimp and get a tailspot blenny (great personalities) instead of a goby; and then add a skunk cleaner shrimp or a blood red fire shrimp.

If you don't keep your sand bed clean it will cause your tank to crash.

• True

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • False

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 5 16.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors