Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Aquamomma85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I caved and bought a 1 1/2" Sixline Wrasse. So far so great! He's very active. Gramma and Bi-Colored Blenny bother him not at all, nor he them. Here's hoping it stays this way [emoji7]
I have had a six line for 4 years and maybe I'm lucky but have never seen her be the least bit aggressive towards anyone.

BradVol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 170 (34g display, 9g sump) and would like to have a captive-bred Mandarin Dragonet long term, after the tank matures. I'd like to know now if the tank will support a copepod population big enough to keep from having to supplement the copepods. They say captives usually eat frozen or other supplied food but I don't know how realistic that is.

If so I'll get the population going months before getting the fish. If not I'll look at other options.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 29 gal tank and am trying to figure out what to get and the order to stock it with. I like clownfish, yellow tale or azure blue damsels and royal grammas. Would like some soft corals. What should I plan to have for the bioload? I was going to start out with one blue damsel for the cycling and then swap it out with the LFS and get one or more clowns and a different damsel. I hesitate to purchase clownfish first for a brand new tank and I am new to saltwater. And I think it's may be best to buy a pair together? #reefsquad

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 29 gal tank and am trying to figure out what to get and the order to stock it with. I like clownfish, yellow tale or azure blue damsels and royal grammas. Would like some soft corals. What should I plan to have for the bioload? I was going to start out with one blue damsel for the cycling and then swap it out with the LFS and get one or more clowns and a different damsel. I hesitate to purchase clownfish first for a brand new tank and I am new to saltwater. And I think it's may be best to buy a pair together? #reefsquad
Well, the three fish you mention are all very territorial and can be aggressive. I like the look of damsels and royal gramma, but their nastiness to other fish keep them out of my tank. It is best to put the most docile fish in the tank first and the end with the most aggressive fish, though.

I started with 2 clowns in my tank and it was ok...not problems with aggression toward other fish. But, I have a 75g tank and they picked their corner and stay around it mostly.

Many will find using a live fish to cycle a tank as a bit mean. Yes, damsels are hardy and cheap, but they are living creatures and going through a cycle cannot be comfortable to a fishes gills. You can achieve the same thing either by buying pure ammonia and dosing the tank to 2ppm or by using a regular shrimp you would eat from the grocery store and placing it in the tank for a week or so.

If buying clowns...it is always best to buy a bonded pair to save possible aggression. But, if you don't find a bonded pair you like, then you can buy them individually. Just try to keep them the same species and get one that is definitely bigger than the other. If one happens to kill the other, then more than likely both had already converted to female...but getting one bigger than the other will give a better chance at this not occurring. And yes, probably best to add them to the tank at the same time (together).

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the three fish you mention are all very territorial and can be aggressive. I like the look of damsels and royal gramma, but their nastiness to other fish keep them out of my tank. It is best to put the most docile fish in the tank first and the end with the most aggressive fish, though.

I started with 2 clowns in my tank and it was ok...not problems with aggression toward other fish. But, I have a 75g tank and they picked their corner and stay around it mostly.

Many will find using a live fish to cycle a tank as a bit mean. Yes, damsels are hardy and cheap, but they are living creatures and going through a cycle cannot be comfortable to a fishes gills. You can achieve the same thing either by buying pure ammonia and dosing the tank to 2ppm or by using a regular shrimp you would eat from the grocery store and placing it in the tank for a week or so.

If buying clowns...it is always best to buy a bonded pair to save possible aggression. But, if you don't find a bonded pair you like, then you can buy them individually. Just try to keep them the same species and get one that is definitely bigger than the other. If one happens to kill the other, then more than likely both had already converted to female...but getting one bigger than the other will give a better chance at this not occurring. And yes, probably best to add them to the tank at the same time (together).

This!^^^^^^^

Here's a link to the ammonia source (I highly recommend it) but you can often get pure ammonia from the hardware store (although it may be in short supply during the pandemic). I found it made it much easier to control how high you let the ammonia level get.

Last edited:

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about a Flameback angel.

I have a 60 gallon cube that I’m cycling and snails/crabs going through fallow. Probably another 2 weeks till I can put the fish in.

flameback angel, tailspot blenny and cardinal already went through copper quarantine and are in a 10 gallon.

I tried to add a yellow watchman goby to the 10 gallon (trying to get him out of copper tank) but the flameback went bats..t crazy on him. I had to put watchman back in copper tank.

this worries me and I’m looking for a plan.
Should I put the flameback in the sump of my 60 cube (refugium section) until all other fish are in the final tank?
Any other suggestions?
Or is this guy just mean with less assertive fish?

the cardinal and tailspot hold their own with him, but I’m worried about the other fish I have so far, that are still in copper the with watchman.
Yellow corris wrasse
Green Clown Goby
Firefish goby

this is the refugium where he would go so I don’t think it would be too cruel.
9201695D-CAE8-4E0D-924E-5876ADEB1FE5.jpeg
sumping him should be fine. when fish are aggressive, it's usually just to new additions. just let him back into the main tank when everyone else is established

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sumping him should be fine. when fish are aggressive, it's usually just to new additions. just let him back into the main tank when everyone else is established
Thank you so much for the guidance!
I’ll plan on doing that.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, after changing stocking plans back and forth, I have narrowed mine down to a couple of potential options. My tank is 120cm by 60cm by 55cm, or 48”x24”x22”. 4 foot tank.

Plan A-
x1 Marine Betta (Max 8”) I plan to buy a specimen that’s already taking prepared foods at the LFS, if necessary I will train it to eat flakes, pellets and frozen and wean it off live foods. Heard these ones are bulletproof once adjusted. Must have fish for me.

x2 Ocellaris or B n W Ocellaris Clowns (not getting the designer varieties, never been a fan of them) (Max 3”) Omnivore, not worried at all.

x1 Flame HawkFish (Max 4”) Carnivore, but I haven’t read anyone who’s had trouble feeding them with flake and pellet foods.

x3 Australian Stripeys (I live near China’s southeastern coast, I can collect them-Microcanthus strigaster) (Max 6”) Omnivore like the Clowns, not worried at all.

x3 Pajama Cardinals (Max 4”) Carnivore, but from what I’ve read eat frozen, flake and pellet foods readily.

x3 Azure / Talbot’s / Springer’s / King Damsels
(Max 2.25”-2.75”) Omnivores like the Clowns and Stripeys.

Plan B-
x1 Marine Betta (Max 8”)

x2 Ocellaris or B n W Ocellaris Clowns (Max 3”)

x1 Flame Hawkfish (Max 4”)

x3 Australian Stripeys (Max 6”)

x5 Pajama Cardinalfish (Max 4”)

Plan C-
x1 Marine Betta (Max 8”)

x2 Ocellaris or B n W Ocellaris Clowns (Max 3”)

x5 PJ Cardinals (Max 4”)

x3 Chrysiptera damsels (Max 2.25”-2.75”)

Plan D (this is my most risky one)

x1 Marine Betta (Max 8”)

x2 Ocellaris or B n W Ocellaris Clownfish (Max 3”)

x1 Barred Soapfish (people in my area sometimes sell them online, but 1. Can 2 big fish 8-10” long be in my tank? 2. Bioload concerns 3. This fish looks interesting but secretes venom) (Max 10”) Carnivore, I’m not sure how easy or hard it would be to feed it with prepared foods.

x3 or 5 PJ Cardinals (Max 4”)

I’ve done research here, on different websites like LA, TFH and TheReef magazines (online), and more recently I’ve been reading more from WWM as well as getting in touch with Bob Fenner. My first tank ever, so I’m only going for the heartiest species.

Feeding Plan:

Main- Meaty pellets, meaty flakes, frozen mysis shrimp, nori strips, plant based flakes and pellets.

Supplementary- Chopped fish, clams, mussels, fresh shrimp from seafood market.

Occasional- Live bloodworms, earthworms, live mysis shrimp, live fish / shrimp from seafood market, live blackworms, live brine shrimp.

Last edited:

brianw3185

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 170 (34g display, 9g sump) and would like to have a captive-bred Mandarin Dragonet long term, after the tank matures. I'd like to know now if the tank will support a copepod population big enough to keep from having to supplement the copepods. They say captives usually eat frozen or other supplied food but I don't know how realistic that is.

If so I'll get the population going months before getting the fish. If not I'll look at other options.
I've had a Green Mandarin in my 36B tank for four years, and she loves frozen. I don't have a copepod population yet, so it's pretty much what she gets. Still, she's very healthy, a bit of a showoff actually. Love her; I say go for one, good luck

BradVol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Green Mandarin in my 36B tank for four years, and she loves frozen. I don't have a copepod population yet, so it's pretty much what she gets. Still, she's very healthy, a bit of a showoff actually. Love her; I say go for one, good luck

Hey thanks! Is yours captive bred or wild caught?

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a saltwater tank with my 32 gallon biocube and I have ideas for my fish and clean up crew and was wondering if I could get some feedback and suggestions on what I chose.

The fish i want are, 2 clownfish, 1 royal gramma, 1 yellow watchman goby, 2 dartfish, and 1 red fromia starfish
Clean up crew im thinking on is, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 emerald crab, 4 blue legged hermits, 2 turbo snails, 2 astraea snails, and 1 scarlett hermit.
Another site sent me this as a clean up crew option but I thought it was too much-
20 Dwarf Ceriths
6 Nassarius vibex
8 Florida Ceriths
8 Nerites
1 Chaeto
1 Gracilaria or Ulva or both

Thanks for any and all feedback! This is my first saltwater tank, but I have experience with freshwater.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 44 gal with the current stock list. It also has one cave formed with stacking and one large hole in a rock.

2 small clowns
1 diamond goby
1 Target Mandarin
1 skunk shrimp, 4 tiny hermits and 2 snails.

Wanting to add a Midas Blenny. Any issues?

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 44 gal with the current stock list. It also has one cave formed with stacking and one large hole in a rock.

2 small clowns
1 diamond goby
1 Target Mandarin
1 skunk shrimp, 4 tiny hermits and 2 snails.

Wanting to add a Midas Blenny. Any issues?
you have a target mandarin in a 44gal? Doesnt that need like 75gal+

Gxry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently set up my Red Sea 425xl Reefer, and have some ideas on what I’d like to stock with. Would appreciate and insight or possible ideas on other fish.

2x Clowns
1x Firefish
1x Black Cap Basselet
1x Yellow Tang
1x Mandarin (in the future)

not sure on what other fish might pair well with what I have planned so would love some thoughts.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm doing a big upgrade from a 46 gallon to a 125 gallon next year and would like some help on a stocking list. my current tank has:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 exquisite firefish
1 royal gramma
1 pink streaked wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
and fish that i for sure want for the bigger tank are
1 yellow or purple tang
1 powder blue tang
1 tomini or kole tang
maybe 1 blue tang
4 anthias of some sort
maybe just maybe a pair of skunk clowns
1 bellus angelfish
only things i'm hesitant on is the blue tang and the skunk clownfish bc i hear conflicting information on whether 125 is enough for a blue tang and i wouldn't want the two pairs of clowns to fight. i've heard 125 is enough for a blue tang bc it's a 6 foot tank but everyone loves to fight on the ethics of tangs. does this tank seem maxed out on bioload and if not, any fish recommendations?

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 4 year old mixed reef tank, 65 gallons. Currently I have:
2 clownfish, paired
1 pyjama cardinal
2 black/white striped damsels
1 royal gramma
1 mandarin dragonet
1 six spot diamond goby
1 valentini puffer

I plan to add a small yellow tang (4 cm) and a midas blenny. Would that be OK?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back