Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 4 year old mixed reef tank, 65 gallons. Currently I have:
2 clownfish, paired
1 pyjama cardinal
2 black/white striped damsels
1 royal gramma
1 mandarin dragonet
1 six spot diamond goby
1 valentini puffer

I plan to add a small yellow tang (4 cm) and a midas blenny. Would that be OK?
a yellow tang will get a bit too big for a 65. a better tang for that size tank would be a kole tang or a tomini tang. the midas blenny should be fine though

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46 gallon and I have 3 green chromis in there now. I was going to get a McCosker’s flasher wrasse but I can’t get one anywhere right now. So my lfs has some Moyer’s wrasse? What are they like? Are they hardy? And will they do ok with being the only one of their kind? Trying to decide what to get next it’s really hard!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46 gallon and I have 3 green chromis in there now. I was going to get a McCosker’s flasher wrasse but I can’t get one anywhere right now. So my lfs has some Moyer’s wrasse? What are they like? Are they hardy? And will they do ok with being the only one of their kind? Trying to decide what to get next it’s really hard!
moyers wrasse are a type of leopard wrasse, so they like a mature tank. i would hold off until a mccosker's becomes available.

Catrexha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my dad is giving me his old 75 gallon tank as he just upgraded to a 125. I was originally planning to switch it over to fresh, but I I've decided to keep it salt.
ph- 8.3
ammonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrates- 20
salinity- 1.023
I got it tested two days ago and apparently they charge for any extra testing, so I haven't tested KH, Mg, or calcium yet.

I love pajama Cardinals and want to have at least a school of 3+. any suggestions for what else to put in the tank? my dad left a little coral in it, which I'll add pictures of. there are a few snails, but I forget which type. there may possibly be shrimp and hermit crabs, but I'm not sure if there are or not. I'm going to for sure add some more rock and change things around. it's nowhere near ready yet, but I'd love some ideas for stocking :)

I don't want any tangs. while I like them a lot, I don't plan on getting anything larger anytime soon, so I'd like everything to stay small enough for the tank.

other than that, I'm pretty much open to anything. as stated above, they have to be able to get along with pajama Cardinals. my dad had one of these in his first tank that he got used from someone. I've loved them ever since.

I'd also like to get captive bred if possible. I know not a whole lot of saltwater fish are captive bred, but I just don't really like the idea of wild caught.

IMG_20200414_204321039.jpg IMG_20200414_204328321.jpg IMG_20200414_204332723_HDR.jpg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is your tank? A Bristletooth Tang could work in a 4-foot tank, the Yellow, Scopas, maybe even Purple Tang a 5-foot would work. For the larger tangs 7-8 foot or above would be ideal.

Clownfish, most for sale these days are captive bred. Don’t buy wild-caught because of susceptibility to disease and overall fragility. ORA does Captive Bred Pajama Cardinals so definitely grab them if your store sells them.

You can do a search on the ORA website and see which shops in your area offer their captive bred fish.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my dad is giving me his old 75 gallon tank as he just upgraded to a 125. I was originally planning to switch it over to fresh, but I I've decided to keep it salt.
ph- 8.3
ammonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrates- 20
salinity- 1.023
I got it tested two days ago and apparently they charge for any extra testing, so I haven't tested KH, Mg, or calcium yet.

I love pajama Cardinals and want to have at least a school of 3+. any suggestions for what else to put in the tank? my dad left a little coral in it, which I'll add pictures of. there are a few snails, but I forget which type. there may possibly be shrimp and hermit crabs, but I'm not sure if there are or not. I'm going to for sure add some more rock and change things around. it's nowhere near ready yet, but I'd love some ideas for stocking :)

I don't want any tangs. while I like them a lot, I don't plan on getting anything larger anytime soon, so I'd like everything to stay small enough for the tank.

other than that, I'm pretty much open to anything. as stated above, they have to be able to get along with pajama Cardinals. my dad had one of these in his first tank that he got used from someone. I've loved them ever since.

I'd also like to get captive bred if possible. I know not a whole lot of saltwater fish are captive bred, but I just don't really like the idea of wild caught.

IMG_20200414_204321039.jpg IMG_20200414_204328321.jpg IMG_20200414_204332723_HDR.jpg
some good captive bred fish are clownfish, filefish, dottybacks, some fanged blennies, and you can get yellow tangs from biota. i wouldn't worry too much about a yellow tang outgrowing the tank for at least a year and a yellow tang will be very easy to trade into a LFS bc they are always in high demand. you could always ask your lfs first if they trade fish

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts about adding striped blenny to tank with orchid dottyback about same size. My only concern is similar body shapes. Thanks.

Greneis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have personal experience with a black spot red damsel? Are they one of the more aggressive ones?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a mandarin probably wouldn't be the best option because they eat thousands of pods a day and you would need to constantly reseed your aquarium with them, unless you have a giant refugium where they can reproduce and it would be competing with your six line for them. some great fish for that size of tank are bicolor and tailspot blennies, dottybacks, and firefish. a combination of semi aggressive fish like clowns, dottyback, and 6 line would make for a high energy active tank that would be fun to watch. i would introduce them all close to the same time though so that they don't get too territorial and immediately jump on each other before they can get established
I actually have a sixline and a mandarin in my 55. You’d think the sixline would obliterate the pod population as many wrasses tend to do, but I still see my mandarin pecking away at the rocks. I don’t reseed my tank whatsoever and I don’t have a fuge. I think a major part of my success is due to training the mandarin to take frozen brine and mysis. I actually only feed the tank one cube per day, so the inhabitants certainly aren’t stuffed to the point of not competing. I actively try to keep my tank nutrient-rich and I firmly believe this yields a sustainable population for not just the mandarin, but the sixline as well. I’ve ran larger tanks with far more rockwork and had mandarins eradicate a pod population too. I’ve also noticed some people saying sixline’s are the most evil thing you can put in your tank. I’ve owned four of them and have never had a problem. Maybe I lucked out four times in a row.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any damsels or other kind that school and can fit into Red Sea Reefer 250?

For sure I want a pair of clown, a wrasse (for pest hunter), an algae grasser (not sure which one).
I have a pair of azure damsels in my 55 and they’re great. One of them “poofs” up to
my snowflake eel, which of course ignores it. I also have a pair of clowns, a mandarin, a sixline wrasse and a flame angel. I’ve had zero fin nipping or visible fighting in my system with that combo.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I overstocking my tank? (165 gal softies only 5’ by 2.3’ by 2’)

x1 One-Spot Foxface

x2 Ocellaris Clowns (or the Black and White variety)

x3 Pajama Cardinalfish

x1 Marine Betta

x2 Black and White Bannerfish

x3 Australian Stripeys

x2 Flame Hawkfish

Are there any fish I should cut down on? I’d appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELLO! New Reefer here :)

My tank is a FOWLR 36 gal bowfront with a 20 gal sump.

Here is my current gameplan:

1x Valentini puffer (have)
1x Yellow watchman goby (have)
10x Hermits and 2x turbo snails (have)

2x Mocha Vinci Clowns (ordered)

Help Me Choose:

Swimmers-

Orchid dottyback
Midas Blenny
Zebra bar dartfish
Pink streak wrasse
whitespot pygmy filefish

Perchers-
Pygmy Coral Groucher
Flame Hawk
Fingered dragonett (tank too small?)

Inverts:
bubble anemone
brittle star
pistol shrimp
pencil urchin
emerald crab

any other additions are HIGHLY welcome. I want a colorful balance and to make sure all of my bases are covered with cleaners. Eventually I will add corals, but I may wait until I upgrade to a larger system.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Clowns- Excellente!

Flame Hawk- Need someone to chime in on this. Hawkfish and another percher / bottom dweller. Not sure if the Hawk will pose a threat to the YWG.

Dragonette- Difficult fish. Your tank needs a very stable pod population as most of them won’t eat prepared foods. ORA does Captive bred ones so if you really want a Dragonette, try to get one from them if you can. Ask your LFS.

Pygmy Coral Croucher- OK. An option.

Midas Blenny-Too big IMO.

Zebra Bar Dartfish- From what I know they do best in pairs or groups though I could be wrong. You absolutely need a tight fitting lid as they jump like there’s no tomorrow. I’m personally not a fan of such jumpy fish.

Pink Streak Wrasse- An option. Since it’s a wrasse, you’ll also need a tight fitting lid.

Whitespot Pygmy Filefish- Good choice. They stay small, are yours from ORA?

Orchid Dottyback- A relatively peaceful species for a Dottyback. As a precaution I’d still make this your last addition should you decide to go forward. Get ORA if you can.

What you will have before more additions:

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby- bottom dweller

x1 Valentini Puffer- slow swimmer

x2 Ocellaris Clowns (I am never a fan of designer varieties but that’s me, give me the orange and white or the Black and White variety any day)- Moderate swimmers

If I were you I’d do:

x1 Pink Streak Wrasse (2.5”)- fast swimmer

x1 Pygmy Coral Croucher (2”)- bottom dweller

x1 White Spot Pygmy Filefish (2”)- slow swimmer

x1 Orchid Dottyback (3”)- Moderate to fast swimmer

Most of the fish on your list are good options. All the fish except the Dottyback can be added in whichever order you choose. Just add the Dottyback last as a precaution.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Clowns- Excellente!

Flame Hawk- Need someone to chime in on this. Hawkfish and another percher / bottom dweller. Not sure if the Hawk will pose a threat to the YWG.

Dragonette- Difficult fish. Your tank needs a very stable pod population as most of them won’t eat prepared foods. ORA does Captive bred ones so if you really want a Dragonette, try to get one from them if you can. Ask your LFS.

Pygmy Coral Croucher- OK. An option.

Midas Blenny-Too big IMO.

Zebra Bar Dartfish- From what I know they do best in pairs or groups though I could be wrong. You absolutely need a tight fitting lid as they jump like there’s no tomorrow. I’m personally not a fan of such jumpy fish.

Pink Streak Wrasse- An option. Since it’s a wrasse, you’ll also need a tight fitting lid.

Whitespot Pygmy Filefish- Good choice. They stay small, are yours from ORA?

Orchid Dottyback- A relatively peaceful species for a Dottyback. As a precaution I’d still make this your last addition should you decide to go forward. Get ORA if you can.

What you will have before more additions:

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby- bottom dweller

x1 Valentini Puffer- slow swimmer

x2 Ocellaris Clowns (I am never a fan of designer varieties but that’s me, give me the orange and white or the Black and White variety any day)- Moderate swimmers

If I were you I’d do:

x1 Pink Streak Wrasse (2.5”)- fast swimmer

x1 Pygmy Coral Croucher (2”)- bottom dweller

x1 White Spot Pygmy Filefish (2”)- slow swimmer

x1 Orchid Dottyback (3”)- Moderate to fast swimmer

Most of the fish on your list are good options. All the fish except the Dottyback can be added in whichever order you choose. Just add the Dottyback last as a precaution.

Thank you! Are all of my invert choices okay tackling substrate glass and rock issues?
I did A LOT of research on these! Some of them I have the idea to buy as juveniles and then transfer to a larger tank in a year from now. My bowfront i purchased on facebook market without a lid. So I would like to get a larger rectangle tank that I can put a lid on before I add many jumpers. However, I am currently looking at living in this house for two years and I do not want to do a massive upgrade too close to moving. Maybe will stick with the system I have. Who knows. Let me get past my first algal bloom and i'll let you know :p.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones can be tricky-they require a more established tank due to their requirements for better water quality, they also move (hard to believe huh?) around and might sting some of your other fish. Clownfish and Domino Damsels (and genus Dascyllus) are the only fish that I know are immune to their stings.

Other than that I am not sure but the restaurant of your inverts seen pretty ok to me! The Pistol Shrimp If it pairs with the Goby makes for a very interesting symbiotic relationship! :)

Not sure about sea urchins and starfish but I hope someone else can comment on this. Good luck!

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones can be tricky-they require a more established tank due to their requirements for better water quality, they also move (hard to believe huh?) around and might sting some of your other fish. Clownfish and Domino Damsels (and genus Dascyllus) are the only fish that I know are immune to their stings.

Other than that I am not sure but the restaurant of your inverts seen pretty ok to me! The Pistol Shrimp If it pairs with the Goby makes for a very interesting symbiotic relationship! :)

Not sure about sea urchins and starfish but I hope someone else can comment on this. Good luck!

There's actually a lot of fish that can handle anemones! its basically just a build up of the toxin on the slime coat. (I was a biologist at an aquarium for 4 years, you'd bee shocked to see the kind of fish we'd spy hanging out in the anemones).
But yes I know they actually can be extremely active if they are the only thing in the tank.

As a biologist I never got to choose my fish, the aquarium always dictated what fish went where so this is my first attempt at this!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very interesting info...... and it’s really cool that you are an actual marine biologist. It was one of my childhood dream jobs. :)

What kinds of fish have you seen hanging around anemones? Consider me schooled haha.

I’m very glad you’ve decided to join us! There are lots of knowledgeable people here.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very interesting info...... and it’s really cool that you are an actual marine biologist. It was one of my childhood dream jobs. :)

What kinds of fish have you seen hanging around anemones? Consider me schooled haha.

I’m very glad you’ve decided to join us! There are lots of knowledgeable people here.

I no longer work there. I am now getting my masters in engineering. BUT
I have seen a flame hawk, blue chromis (hanging around not inside--had babies close by), and some scooter blennies. Now the perchers were hanging out on the inside, where the tentacles were not. But how they got in there without getting hurt-- beats me unless they had a build up!
I would say this is an exception and not the rule. This was an extremely established 500gal coral tank.

Jenna_elf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano 10 gallon tank, currently cycling. It came with a peppermint peppermint shrimp and an anenome, plus a bunch of snails. Sand depth is about 1.5 inches.
I really want hermit crabs, a sand sifting goby and his shrimp friend. Plus something that swims out where you can see it.
So, suggestions? I won't be adding anything until it's done cycling, I just like dreaming for now.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano 10 gallon tank, currently cycling. It came with a peppermint peppermint shrimp and an anenome, plus a bunch of snails. Sand depth is about 1.5 inches.
I really want hermit crabs, a sand sifting goby and his shrimp friend. Plus something that swims out where you can see it.
So, suggestions? I won't be adding anything until it's done cycling, I just like dreaming for now.

If you have a lid, Royal gramma or firefish are very colorful.
But I always like going traditional and picking out a clownfish. especially if you already have an anemone.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back