Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any experience with Yellow Striped Cardinals? My LFS has 3 available and from what I have found, they are peaceful fish. My tank is currently very peaceful with no damaging type aggression. I'm not looking for a fish that just finds a hole and hides in it all day waiting to be fed!

Inhabitants:
2 Osc. Clowns
Midas Blenny
Leopard Wrasse
Diamond Goby
Blood/Fire Shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp

Future plans possibly (that I would want the cardinals to get along with as well):
Kole Tang or White Tail Bristletooth Tang
Green Chromis
Bengaii Cardinal
Pajama Cardinal

Gmantu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish to add next???
Started our first salt water tank about a month ago. Have a 53g tank with a marine land canister filter (will upgrade to a sump in the future). Live rock and live sand.
Decided to cycle with fish. Introduced 2 small clown fish on May 27 from our LFS. Cycling is going well. Haven’t seen any signs of stress from the fish. Ammonia is at 0, nitrites are falling, and I’m started to see nitrates in my testing. So the cycle is almost complete.
We just bought a six line wrasse and he is currently quarantine.

Looking for suggestions on what reef safe fish to add next.

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish to add next???
Started our first salt water tank about a month ago. Have a 53g tank with a marine land canister filter (will upgrade to a sump in the future). Live rock and live sand.
Decided to cycle with fish. Introduced 2 small clown fish on May 27 from our LFS. Cycling is going well. Haven’t seen any signs of stress from the fish. Ammonia is at 0, nitrites are falling, and I’m started to see nitrates in my testing. So the cycle is almost complete.

Would suggest a blenny. Six line wrasse are semi aggressive, so it should be added towards the end of your stocking list. Your tank is a reasonable size so you have alot of options and space to add a number of species

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish to add next???

I’ve never had a six line, so I can’t speak to whether or not it would be compatible with other wrasses in a tank your size, That being said, I might suggest you look into a royal gramma and/or midas blenny. Flame hawkfish has a lot of personality as well (but be careful if you plan to add shrimp).

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate this thread!

I‘m considering adding a peacock leopard wrasse (before my planned stocklist below). Thoughts? I’ve heard mixed opinions on how difficult they are to keep.

110G display
Current stock: Clown pair, melanarus wrasse, spotted diamond goby, Midas blenny, yellow tang, 2 sapphire damsels
Planned stock: McCoskers wrasse, solorensis wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, royal gramma, flame hawk fish (in that order)

Tank has been running for 2 years. I just set it up for auto water changes. Fish trap and acclimation box on hand.

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate this thread!

I‘m considering adding a peacock leopard wrasse (before my planned stocklist below). Thoughts? I’ve heard mixed opinions on how difficult they are to keep.

110G display
Current stock: Clown pair, melanarus wrasse, spotted diamond goby, Midas blenny, yellow tang, 2 sapphire damsels
Planned stock: McCoskers wrasse, solorensis wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, royal gramma, flame hawk fish (in that order)

Tank has been running for 2 years. I just set it up for auto water changes. Fish trap and acclimation box on hand.
Leopard wrasses don't do well in many tanks and will dissapear for days on end in the sand. They can be aggressive towards other wrasses so, add all the wrasses in at once if you plan on getting one.

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses don't do well in many tanks and will dissapear for days on end in the sand. They can be aggressive towards other wrasses so, add all the wrasses in at once if you plan on getting one.

I’d love to add all of these wrassses together, but not even Liveaquaria has this kind of stock. I don’t know about you, but finding fish right now is nearly impossible. I’m in a position where I feel like I have to take what you can get. Frustrating, but all things considered, it’s nothing to get too worked up about.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 55 gallons DT plus 10 gallons sump 3 ft long tank. I am thinking of the following fish. Any issues? Which order I must follow?

Currently I have 2 clownsfish

I plan to add the following:
1 Yellow tail damselfish
1 Molly miller blenny
1 Pink stripe wrasse
1 Ruby longfin fairy wrasse supermale wrasse
1 Tanaka Pygmy wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 Yellow watchmen goby
1 Pygmy angelfish (either flameback, flame, lemon peel, cherub, or potter)

any concern?in which order the fish should be introduced? Thank you. I will be keeping mainly softies and LPS only.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will assume so...
3Ft DT Fish Only With Live Rock (And Inverts such as anemones and shrimp and more)
40Gallon With Aquafuge 2 Small for Primary Filtration.
Currently got Two Clownfish (Ocellaris), Coral Beauty (Angelfish), Pincushion Urchin, Two Trochus, One Nassarius, One Blue Lincktia (He Eats Detritus for You People Unsure), One Small Brittle Sea Star.

Will:
Six Line Wrasse (Pest Control)
Hawaiian Yellow Tang (Temporary for 18 Months and Algae Control)
And Could I add a Baby Blue Tang (Temporary for 12 Months and Algae Control)
Lawnmower Blenny (He Looks Cool)?
Is that good or overcrowded for my tank?
Thanks. ;)

akelly310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon FOWLR tank that I’ll eventually transition to a reef around December.

Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
Firefish Goby
Bicolor Blenny
Sixline Wrasse or Similar sized reef safe wrasse
Sand sifting goby
Damselfish (haven’t decided which yet. Want to be careful because I know they can be aggressive)

Is this an okay stocking list? would this max out my tank or could I safely add another fish or two?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon FOWLR tank that I’ll eventually transition to a reef around December.

Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
Firefish Goby
Bicolor Blenny
Sixline Wrasse or Similar sized reef safe wrasse
Sand sifting goby
Damselfish (haven’t decided which yet. Want to be careful because I know they can be aggressive)

Is this an okay stocking list? would this max out my tank or could I safely add another fish or two?
That is good :)

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about to start stocking a RSR 170. Wondering if this is appropriate amount of fish to slowly build up to over months and what order? Also wondering if I need to include inverts in the ballpark fish length estimate?

Everything needs to be compatible for a mixed reef end goal which is bare right now, but hope to have a few select coral fill out and grown with one or two acans, some monti, chalice and one or two hammers.

Stocking list:

2 clownfish
1 six line wrasse
1 tail spot blenny
1 green chromis
1 mandarin goby

I am starting out with two infant clowns maybe an inch or less that hopefully will grow into tank and not get eaten by anything. I will wait to get larger fish until they are slightly larger and can handle themselves.

I figured I'd wait till end to get either six line or chromis and at least 6 months until the mandarin goby to get the pod and bristle worm population up enough to support it. But I am also wondering if having a blenny and a mandarin goby plus a shrimp is too much competition for that zone of space/food source?

Inverts:
Either a blood red shrimp or a peppermint shrimp (only if I get aptaisia)
one or two emerald crabs
a couple hermits

Finally, is this maxed out when eventually everything is in and full grown?

ben310135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I think I may be ready to add a few more saltwater fish to my 125 gallon tank. I currently have a brown tang, 1 clownfish, bycolor dottyback, and two female Spotbreast Angelfish. Any suggestions on what fish to add to my tank. I would like to stay reef safe

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I think I may be ready to add a few more saltwater fish to my 125 gallon tank. I currently have a brown tang, 1 clownfish, bycolor dottyback, and two female Spotbreast Angelfish. Any suggestions on what fish to add to my tank. I would like to stay reef safe

Would suggest you look into a midas blenny and a wrasse. There are a lot of reef safe wrasses and you can add multiple types.

You need to be careful with the dottyback. If it isn’t aggressive now it can be with new additions. Acclimation box is recommended for new additions and possibly a day of lights out when they are added.

dr.ben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love my Masuda's hogfish. Very active swimmer and mutually ignores all other fish (and I have a similar mix as you).

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put 2 sunshine chromis in my tank. It is a fluval evo 13.5. I have one frostbite clownfish. He is small. About an inch. He has been in my tank for over a month.
Thanks.
Paul

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current setup:
IM Nuvo Fusion 40 AIO (~32 gallon display area when you take out the rear sump area)
~30 lbs of live rock
~20 lbs (1"-2") CaribSea Arag-Alive sand
~17 months old

Current stock list:
(2) Ocellaris Clownfish
(1) Yellow Watchman Goby
(1) Firefish
(1) Bicolor Blenny

I've been wanting to add another fish (or a few) as the last one was added over 6 months ago (the bicolor blenny). However, I certainly don't want to upset the balance in the tank as everything has been doing really well (fish and corals). My nutrients are really stable at ~5-7ppm nitrate and 0.03-0.07 ppm phosphate and I generally feed pretty heavy.

My first thought is adding a Yellow Coris Wrasse (or maybe a Pink Streaked Wrasse if I can find one) as I've been interested in having a peaceful wrasse in the tank for the movement/color in the water column, as well as helping with pest control (flatworms). However, I do have a large feather duster and coco worm in the tank and have heard yellow wrasses may eat them. In addition, I've typically been a once a day feeder and understand wrasses likely need to be fed multiple times a day. Thoughts on this addition?

Other than the wrasse, I was considering adding a couple of bangai cardinals (preferably a mated pair) and perhaps a royal gramma. I tried a royal gramma once before when the tank was very young, but it died in a few days. (Still unsure as to what caused it.)

Does anyone have any other suggestions for cool fish additions to this tank given the current stocklist? I want to be very selective about my next addition(s) as I don't anticipate having more than one or two more fish in this tank. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Watching your post since I just bought this same tank (it's still cycling) and my planned list looks very similar. My question is can I add a clam if a I have a pistol shrimp/goby pair or will the shrimp bother the clam?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back