Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 Lagoon stocking questions/advice:

Upgrading to the new IM150 INT as soon as my fish room is done (tank is already here) and am trying to plan out my fish stocking. Tank is 4'x3'x19" and will be a mixed reef. The current fish will likely transfer over from my current 80 gallon tank. All i have had for at minimum 2 years together.
Current fish:
1 Clown (had her about 12 years)
1 purple tang
1 white tail bristletooth tang
1 starry blenny
1 orchid dottyback.

I would like to add the following larger fish
1 convict tang
1-3 yellow tangs
1 copperband butterfly

I would also like to add a wrasse for pest control/mitigation. Thinking a Melanurus Wrasse or radiant wrasse. or maybe both.

From there I feel the tank needs some smaller fish as well. I would like suggestions on fish that would add color and personality that also are out and about in the tank and not hiding all the time. Currently thinking 3-5 anthias or chromis but open to ideas.

Please let me know thoughts on this, I am a bit concerned about bioload and tang aggression. Filteration will include a BK mini 180 skimmer, Ideally a clarisea sk5000 filter roller and likely a cheato reactor/fuge.

Thoughts?
I purchased some liar tell auntie S from TSM aquatics and I’m so happy that I did. I was reading online about Kronos tend to be aggressive and eventually a small school of six well Slim to pack to one or two. But as long as you have a big male anthais are great

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty straightforward question:

Is a Pygmy or Flameback angelfish ok in a 60g cube? Good amount of LR but plenty of swim space. Other occupants are yellow coris wrasse, PJ and Bangai cardinal, and 2 clowns. Other additions I was planning were a yellow watchman goby and possibly a royal gramma.

Thanks for any info.

Edit: I just scrolled back through the last page and it doesn't seem like anyone is answering these questions lol. @Daniel@R2R

Last edited:

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is a Pygmy or Flameback angelfish ok in a 60g cube? Good amount of LR but plenty of swim space. Other occupants are yellow coris wrasse, PJ and Bangai cardinal, and 2 clowns. Other additions I was planning were a yellow watchman goby and possibly a royal gramma.

Thanks for any info.

Edit: I just scrolled back through the last page and it doesn't seem like anyone is answering these questions lol. @Daniel@R2R
You'll be fine adding the small angel but keep in mind that they can pick at corals

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for any info.

The cherub will definitely be okay, I keep one in my 20 gal. He’s very happy!
3BD07183-5BC4-4F0D-9A68-A33E6B5FB330.jpeg
9E8615E0-B83F-46F3-B55F-5273FACEE9C3.jpeg

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies and those pics are adorb @footgal

I actually have moved all my corals except for a lobo to my attached 7.5g and I'm planning on keeping the 60g mostly FOWLR. Thanks again.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Yellow Watchman Gobies. I would like to add either a jawfish (Blue Dot, or Yellowhead) or a blenny (maybe a Starry, Black Sailfin, or Tailspot) to the family but I'm worried that they are possibly too similar and might not get along. The tank is 50 gallons.

ZodFather

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 110-gallon tank that I've had set up for just about a year now - 48" long x 30" high x 18" deep. I've got a mixed reef going with some softies (toadstool, zoas) and LPS. I plan on eventually getting some SPS in the tank after I upgrade my lights in the next couple of months.

My current fish stock list is the following:
  • Bonded pair of Misbar Caramel Ocellaris Clowns
  • Black Combtooth (Tribal) Blenny
  • Helfrichi Firefish
  • Potter's Angel
  • Blue Spot Jawfish
  • Randall's Assessor
  • Fathead Sunburst Anthias
  • Sixline Wrasse
  • Melanurus Wrasse
  • Dusky Fairy (Brunneus) Wrasse
I had a Yellow Candy Hogfish for the last 6 months or so, but he became such an aggressive bully that I had to trap and remove him a few weeks ago after he nearly killed the firefish (the firefish is completely healed and has even fattened up now that feeding time is no longer a life-threatening experience). Ever since removing the hogfish the vibe in the tank is much better and all the fish seem much more relaxed.

I'm looking at the final couple of fish I'd like to add to the tank. Ideally I'd like to add a Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse and a White Tail Bristletooth Tang. My LFS ordered the tang last week and is getting him acclimated and feeding at the store this week, so I'm pretty set on the tang. My question is more whether or not you think adding another wrasse (in this case, the Rhomboidalis) might be problematic given the current stocklist, especially with three other wrasses already in the tank (none of which really exhibit any aggression). If the wrasse isn't a great idea, I'd love to hear any other suggestions for fish that would add a burst of color to the tank.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello people, im planning on converting a 29g aqueon tank into a fowlr tank and I want to know from everyone else what they think about putting a princess anthias in it

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello people, im planning on converting a 29g aqueon tank into a fowlr tank and I want to know from everyone else what they think about putting a princess anthias in it
I just did a lot of research for my 45 gallon tank. Imo, no anthias should be in a tank that small, but there are many other fish that may serve as substitutes

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its tank mates im hoping to have are a pistol shrimp + goby, and a midas blenny

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept anthias in this 30 for qt, and so have others just not multiple

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who needs fishy help? Post in here! We got you!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept anthias in this 30 for qt, and so have others just not multiple
they're highly active and really need a lot more swimming room. a 30 gallon qt is fine bc that's not going to be its final home. it is going to result in a highly stressed anthias that will inevitably die early.

Ryan_R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to aquariums, getting my first saltwater tank (Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25) and have spent what feels like the past decade doing research on getting the tank setup. I think I have a pretty good grasp and have picked out some fish that I want to put in my tank and need some thoughts. List:

2x Clownfish
1x Yellow Watchman Goby
1x Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1x Scarlett Cleaner Shrimp
1x Saddle Valentini Puffer
1x Pom Pom Crab
2x Emerald Green Crabs
5x Red leg hermit
5x Asterea snails
5x Nassarius snails

I do eventually want to add some Zoos or other easier corals.

Am I going to run into any issues? Too many fish? Room for more? Lots of info that seems to be contradicted frequently from a lot of my findings.

Thanks in advance!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to aquariums, getting my first saltwater tank (Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25) and have spent what feels like the past decade doing research on getting the tank setup. I think I have a pretty good grasp and have picked out some fish that I want to put in my tank and need some thoughts. List:

2x Clownfish
1x Yellow Watchman Goby
1x Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1x Scarlett Cleaner Shrimp
1x Saddle Valentini Puffer
1x Pom Pom Crab
2x Emerald Green Crabs
5x Red leg hermit
5x Asterea snails
5x Nassarius snails

I do eventually want to add some Zoos or other easier corals.

Am I going to run into any issues? Too many fish? Room for more? Lots of info that seems to be contradicted frequently from a lot of my findings.

Thanks in advance!
25 is a bit too small for the valentini, plus it will eat your inverts and i would steer clear of pom pom crabs if you want corals

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 32g Fiji cube with lots of live rock and a 2inch sand bed.
Current Livestock
Cherub Angel
Vanderbuilt Chromis
Caramel Clown
Bicolor Blenny
Yellow Watchman Goby

I am interested in a McCoskers Wrasse. Would that be doable? If not, what is a good red colored fish that swims out in the open and doesn't just hide or perch on the rocks?

TIA

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back