Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1

hi, I am new here. I have a nano tank with a carpenter wrasse and a clownfish. I was wondering if I could add a firefish or Banggai cardinal. will they fight?

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I am new to the hobby and just bought a 75g tank. I was hoping to get some advice on some cool looking reef safe fish. I wanted a couple clowns for sure and maybe some tangs, but not sure which ones are reef safe. Thanks!
You could get a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse; a beautiful reef safe fish.
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse(2).jpg

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

not a fish query exactly, but I have a green emerald crab on my list of CUC to get list (I bought a pack).

My tank (reefer 350) is about 7 weeks up and running now, so I'm just wondering is it too early to put an emerald crab in? I know they eat bubble algae (which I dont have any of), but assume I could feed flakes or pellets.

I have 6 fish in there now and lots of other CUC (snails, hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, urchin, fighting conch).

thanks

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, kinda new to posting on forums. I have a fluval Edge 12g with one clownfish any idea what alse I can add ? Total stocking :
1 clownfish
2 hermit crabs
1 nass snail

EcoFriendlyMouth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater tank. I have a Converted15gal Fluval flex that I have cycling. 1-2 in sandbed, 13lbs live rock (one came with Zoas and some aiptasia on it so it's been a very fast learning curve in the couple weeks). It has the stock pump, powerhead, and biomedia, sponge, charcoal in the filtration system, as well as a nano protein skimmer that has yet to be fired up. Anyhow as for stocking, here's what ive been thinking about doing:

Fish:
Warpaint Clown Goby- I can't find any info on whether they build dens but would love something that can make a little home.

Mocha Ocellaris- Pretty self exclamatory, easy to care for, easy beginner fish.

Firefish- Another fish that looks very cool, Probably the favorite I've seen, looking to study them come grad school.

Inverts:
Turbo snail- Cleaner snail, help with algae

Emerald or hermit crab- Clearner

Corals:
Zoas- I got em whether i want em or not

GSP- Seems easy to care for and get the hang of before more corals

Xenia- Ditto GSP, want to make a little Xenia island

Trumpet Coral- Looks pretty neat

Leather Coral- Ditto Trumpet

Hammers- Add movement

So, any suggestions as to which to go with? I was planning on stocking a snail for a few days once fully cycled, and then probably an ocellaris and maybe a GSP after. Thank you all so much for all of your help!

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon cube which has been cycling for about 4 months now.
I have had Clowns in it but unfortunately there was electrical current that seeped into the tank and I lost them
The tank has been fallow for about 45 days now and I have 2 new clowns which are in my 10 gallon QT tank waiting to be moved to the 40 gallon.

Once I move my Clowns to the 40 gallon I would like to work toward adding additional fish as well.
Here is my wish list, I am looking for advice on what order to add each type of fish as well as how many I should have total in a 40 gallon tank.
I will have a few soft corals as well at some point

Pajama Cardinal (3?)
Green Clown Goby (1)
Pink-stripped Wrasse (1)
Vanderbilt Chromis (3?)
Lawn Mower Blenny (once there is more algae)

I would also like to add an Engineer Goby which is currently in my sons tank.

Also, how long should my QT fallow before I QT new fish?

jws0318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM Nano Fusion 30L.

Thinking of stocking with the following:

Purple firefish
Hector goby
Wheeler goby
Tanaka possum wrasse
Royal Gramma

Question is could I add sexy shrimp with this group? Would the royal Gramma be ok with them?

Illinireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who needs fishy help? Post in here! We got you!
So, new to the reef tank set up and want to make sure my fish get along and not eat my corals. I have the 32g biocube and plan on only have soft corals.
Currently I have 2 clowns, ywg with pistol shrimp, and a 6 line wrasse. What else could I add fish wise?

EcoFriendlyMouth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, new to the reef tank set up and want to make sure my fish get along and not eat my corals. I have the 32g biocube and plan on only have soft corals.
Currently I have 2 clowns, ywg with pistol shrimp, and a 6 line wrasse. What else could I add fish wise?
That seems like a solid stock for a 32g already, but you could maybe toss in a firefish or chalk bass?

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea 3xl 900
240 79" long
4x tangs
Blonde naso
Chevron or Achilles
Hippo
....sohal

Firefish
Black cap basslet
Lawnmower
Couple ocellaris
Some type of schooling fish...undecided
Foxface

And I'm probably going to roll the dice on a emporer

Adding the tangs last. Good plan or trainwreck?

Allmypie89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! My wife and I just got back from the Gulf on vacation, and we caught some little hermit crabs. Are they reef friendly? If so is it a bad idea to add one to my reef tank?

Forfoj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! My wife and I just got back from the Gulf on vacation, and we caught some little hermit crabs. Are they reef friendly? If so is it a bad idea to add one to my reef tank?
Reef friendly or not I wouldn't put them in because they could be carrying unwanted hitchhikers or algae.

Forfoj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stock so far. I wouldn't add a very shy fish since the 6 line wrasse might bully it. Personally, I would add a blenny (my favorite is the Midas blenny), they're not the most colorful but their personality makes up for it.

ThrillAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New guy here planning on setting up an AIO BioCube 29 gallon. If I have a year of success I hope to go bigger. What do you guys think of this for the tank...

Pair of Bonded Clowns
3 Chromis (small school)
Royal Gramma
Diamond Goby
Bubble Tip Anemone
Tuxedo Urchin
Cleaner Shrimp

I already took firefish, blenny, and starki damsel off because I realize you shouldn't overstock. Working with a local shop who will help with set-up and fish introduction over time. They will set them up in their tank for observation. Please let me know what you think!

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I've recently acquired a Reefer 750XXL (71"x26"x24") it kinda fell in my lap and wasn't a planned (but certainly not an unwelcome) upgrade and as such I've never considered stocking a tank this large.

The current stock, moved over from my existing mixed reef:
Coral beauty
Melanarus Wrasse
McCosker Wrasse
Purple dottyback
Royal Gramma
Orange spot goby
Pair of Occelaris clowns
Lawn mower blenny
Fire shrimp
CUC: 2x Tuxedo Urchins, Turbos, Ceriths, Mithrax crab and a few electric blue hermits

Proposed additions....
6x Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias, Pseudanthias squamipinnis OR 5x Square Back Anthias, Pseudanthias pleurotaenia
1x Yellow Wrasse, Halichoeres chrysus
2x Fairy Wrasse, exact sp TBD based on local availability iaw with this https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/
1x Sand Sifting Goby, either a Diamond or Tiger.
1x Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Ctenochaetus strigosus
1x Purple Tang Zebrasoma, xanthurum
1x Powder Blue Acanthurus, leucosternon (on the fence with this one)

Maybes? Depending on peoples thoughts regarding compatibility and bioload capacity.
1x Regal angel
1x Harlequin tusk, Choerodon fasciatus
1x Black-backed Wrasse, Anampses neoguinaicus
1x Radiant Wrasse, Halichoeres iridis

Mods: I had started my own thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-finalising-stock-list-for-750xxl.765959/ but realised after this is probably a more appropriate place for the post, If someone could please delete the thread that would be much appreciated.

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I've recently acquired a Reefer 750XXL (71"x26"x24") it kinda fell in my lap and wasn't a planned (but certainly not an unwelcome) upgrade and as such I've never considered stocking a tank this large.

The current stock, moved over from my existing mixed reef:
Coral beauty
Melanarus Wrasse
McCosker Wrasse
Purple dottyback
Royal Gramma
Orange spot goby
Pair of Occelaris clowns
Lawn mower blenny
Fire shrimp
CUC: 2x Tuxedo Urchins, Turbos, Ceriths, Mithrax crab and a few electric blue hermits

Proposed additions....
6x Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias, Pseudanthias squamipinnis OR 5x Square Back Anthias, Pseudanthias pleurotaenia
1x Yellow Wrasse, Halichoeres chrysus
2x Fairy Wrasse, exact sp TBD based on local availability iaw with this https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/
1x Sand Sifting Goby, either a Diamond or Tiger.
1x Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Ctenochaetus strigosus
1x Purple Tang Zebrasoma, xanthurum
1x Powder Blue Acanthurus, leucosternon (on the fence with this one)

Maybes? Depending on peoples thoughts regarding compatibility and bioload capacity.
1x Regal angel
1x Harlequin tusk, Choerodon fasciatus
1x Black-backed Wrasse, Anampses neoguinaicus
1x Radiant Wrasse, Halichoeres iridis

Mods: I had started my own thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-finalising-stock-list-for-750xxl.765959/ but realised after this is probably a more appropriate place for the post, If someone could please delete the thread that would be much appreciated.

Looks like a good list, the harlequin tusk is not considered reef safe although I have never owned one they are awesome looking. Do you plan on corals?

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good list, the harlequin tusk is not considered reef safe although I have never owned one they are awesome looking. Do you plan on corals?
Cheers,
I know the tusk will go after inverts but shouldn't be an issue with corals, any idea if they can tackle urchins?
Planning on a mixed reef. I'm aware the regal may pose a risk to certain corals.

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a WaterBox Peninsula Mini 25 for use as a mixed reef tank. Planned inhabitants are as follows, looking for input on compatibility. Using most of a box of CaribSea shapes rock with a lot of perching spaces and hiding caves, 20lbs of SeaChem Grey Coast sand.

CUC
1 Blood Red Fire shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 yellow clown Goby
1 Flame Hawkfish

Not sure if there is enough tank to also add 1 of the additional:
Randall’s Assessor Basslet or
small Yellow tang (fairly certain not enough tank for this guy but worried about utility fish)
Other suggestions welcome. Wanting to see varying colors in the fish, not sure I want clowns but Wyoming Whites would be the choice.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back