Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

lml1067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this and really need suggestions for my 65 gallon tank that measures 3 ft wide x 18 in deep and 24 in tall. So far in it I have 2 clown fish, 2 PJ cardinals, 1 fire fish, 1 yellow goby and one rainbow urchin along with a few snails and hermit crab. I also have corals and an anemone that the clown fish want nothing to do with. My corals so far are soft corals and one LPS (hammer coral).
I really would like some bright fish movement like a blue tang and a yellow tang, but everything I have read lately makes me think my tank is not large enough. Would really appreciate suggestions.

Morrowen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
I am setting up my first reef tank. 40 Gallon Breeder no sump. Will get a skimmer if needed.

Would like to know if this list will get along and if 40 gallons is large enough to hold them all. Thank you

1 Clownfish
Yellow Watchman Goby (Would a Hi-Fin Red Banded goby be a better goby?)
Red Banded Pistol Shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
Firefish
Tail Spot Blenny
PomPom Crab
some hermits and snail CuC

Last edited:

MummysReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've added 2 cardinals to my 450L tank, they have been in there since Saturday, and this AM I noticed that one was looking a little raged. Now I've watched fish A attacking (the now raggedy) fish B. What should I do? They are all that is in there atm, will this stop once pecking order is established or will Fish A kill B?

:(

V

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a tank with Midas Blenny, flame hawkfish, 2 clowns, and 1 melanurus wrasse. Today I added my tangs, a white tail Bristletooth and a small yellow tang.

The yellow seems good to go, but I can’t tell what’s up with the Bristletooth. He swims with the melanurus likes he’s an obsessive spouse. The melanurus flashes at it, but never any fighting. I did feel like I saw the tang press it’s lips against the wrasse, but no marks/signs. Am I overthinking this relationship?

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm a beginner, I got a 40 gallon breeder tank and I'm looking for advice on my fish list, some of the choices are personal preference and some are per BRStv recommendation for a successful tank. I'm going to list them in the order I intend to add them to the tank so any advice on not only my list but my adding order would be appreciated:

2 Onyx Clownfish (current inhabitants)
1 Starry Blenny
1 Royal Gramma
2 Kaudern/Bengai Cardinal Fish
1 Blue Reef Chromis
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Yellow Tang

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys i am new to this hobby i am setting up a FOWLR salt water tank initially though i intended to make it a reef eventually. I wanted to know if i can keep this fish in the same tank or not ,thanks in advance.
Tank specifications
L*B*H = 81*24*30(inches) roughly 960 liters with a sump of 255 liters , so a total water volume of 321 gallons. The sump will have refugium with magicmud and a algae scraper also.
Lighting will be cfl bulbs with atnic tubes
I will have a modified two part dosing system.
After the tank is properly cycled for 6 months i look to add the living stocks in the following order
1. Bubble tip anemone
2. After the bta is settled a pair of clown fish (1 male + 1 female)
3. Copper band butterfly
4. After the CBB is well adapted and eating 1 pair of Moorish idol
5. After few months a yellow tang
6. At the same time a powder blue tang
7. After few months a Achilles tang
8. And last addition will be emperor angel.
before buying each fish i will make sure i am buying a healthy specimen , observing its eating or not at the lfs.

Just curious. Did the Powder Blue crash the tank?

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 75 gal fowlr in either month 2 of cycling so im starting to finalize my stocking list and want to be such I dont overcrowd the tank and go fish crazy cause im excited I live in Hawaii so its pretty easy to get most fish, i prefer captive bred though since they tend to be better adjusted to life in a tank and are more interactive. I currently have
A pair of occ clowns
1 yellow tang
1 neon dottyback
1 scooter blenny
1 blue spotted goby
3 blue green chomis
1 white spotted toby puffer ( 2 3/4th in almost full grown at 3 in)
All from a previous tank that I cycled for practice

I want to add
2 or 4 more chromis (take them all out reintroduce together after moving some things around)

My husband wants another pair of clowns but specialty clowns (I've been told it may be difficult, but if I were to get the black ones would it be easier since they look different to each other or should we not risk it?)

And I want a colorful statement fish like a flame angel, if it wouldn't work in the tank what would you suggest

Im currently running a all hob system, skimmer rated for 100 gal and filter rated for 100-150 gal

Ammonia currently has stayed at 0 for the past month

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next summer I’m going to get into the hobby with either a 20 gallon or 35 gallon Nano tank. I know this is really early to start thinking about it, but I like exploring and it intrigues me. This would help manage my expectations when the time comes.

I have a good understanding of what I’d be able to do with a 20 gallon. For a 35 gallon though, I’m wonderinghow many inverts I could actually fit.

Fish I Like
2x clown fish (both tanks)
1x goby (both tanks)
1x royal gamma (only the 35)

Coral
10 soft coral frags for the 20gal and 15~20 soft coral frags for the 35gal

Inverts
Anemone (both tanks)
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (both tanks)
Dwarf Feather Duster (35gal)
Brittle or serpent sea Star (35gal)
Unsure on what snail/crab combo to act as algae cleaners for the reef

I’m wondering if that would be too many inverts for a 35gal. I’m also wondering what the recommended species of snails and crabs are for reef cleaning. Additionally, how many snails and crabs should there be per gallon (roughly)?

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to reef tanks and currently planning my first one. I'm inclined towards the Cade PR 600 S2 (display volume 216L/57G), because its size seems manageable in terms of water changes and equipment, but I have no idea how many fish I'll be able to have and whether I should go for something bigger (like the Cade 900).

The fish I like and am choosing between are:
  • Pair of clowns
  • Tailspot blenny
  • Hawkfish (scarlet or longnose)
  • Naoko fairy wrasse
  • Watchman shrimp and goby pair
And provided there are enough pods in the tank eventually, a mandarin.

These all seem like they have good personalities and occupy different sections of the tank. Will they all fit in the Cade 600 and get along? If not, what would you suggest keeping/dropping from the list?

The plan is for this to be a mixed reef tank, likely LPS dominant but I'd love to try SPS eventually once I'm sure everything is stable.

jilnifer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have upgraded my tank after a house move. I have a 310 gallon tank. I am also interested to know what should be introduced first and last. Here is my wishlist:
fish namelengthaggressiveness# of fishNotesTotal length
Harptail Blenny3.5peaceful13.5
Sailfin Blenny5peaceful1(mated)5
Pajama Cardinals3.5peaceful517.5
Scissortail or Exquisite Dartfish5.5peaceful2(mated)11
Green mandarin3peaceful1(mated)3
Magnificent Foxface8peaceful18
Pink Spotted Watchman Goby4peaceful1(mated)4
Blue Spot Jawfish3.5semi1(mated)3.5
Yellow bellied Regal12semi112
Blonde Nasso Tang (Hawaii)18semi118
Orange Shoulder Tang14semi114
Sailfin Tang15semi115
Purple Tang10semi110
Yellow Tang8semi18
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse4peaceful312
Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse5peaceful315
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse3peaceful39
Filamented Flasher Wrasse3.5peaceful310.5
Clownfish3semi412

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm a beginner, I got a 40 gallon breeder tank and I'm looking for advice on my fish list, some of the choices are personal preference and some are per BRStv recommendation for a successful tank. I'm going to list them in the order I intend to add them to the tank so any advice on not only my list but my adding order would be appreciated:

2 Onyx Clownfish (current inhabitants)
1 Starry Blenny
1 Royal Gramma
2 Kaudern/Bengai Cardinal Fish
1 Blue Reef Chromis
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Yellow Tang

That is kinda overstocked. The Yellow Tang shouldn't be added for size reasons, and the six-line wrasse can get pretty territorial. The bangaii cardinals would make a decent addition, but for a healthy tank at least 5-6 not so large fish would be good at that tank size. The royal gramma can add a lot of color to your tank, but I don't think I had one so i'm not sure on it's aggression, and the blenny would be good too.

teenfishkeeper808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I’m fairly new to the hobby(dabbled a little bit before this tank) and was wonder if a pearl nose Toby would do well in my 30 gallon? I currently have an ocellaris pair, cleaner shrimp, and a fire fish. If I can get the Toby, would it be the only other thing I could add or could I still get a goby or something like that? Thanks!

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I’m fairly new to the hobby(dabbled a little bit before this tank) and was wonder if a pearl nose Toby would do well in my 30 gallon? I currently have an ocellaris pair, cleaner shrimp, and a fire fish. If I can get the Toby, would it be the only other thing I could add or could I still get a goby or something like that? Thanks!

It should be fine, though that could be your limit on fish. Though I would be careful as they can eat inverts.

royhrp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,

This is my first post and i just set my mind on having a reef tank. I am a total newbie on this. i already began my research and also read some of the forums in here.

i noticed that many people suggest to start with medium tanks rather than nano tanks since nano tanks, though compact, will have more issues than the medium. it is suggested by many to start with medium tanks and take it from there. Unfortunately it didn't state the actual size of a medium tanks.. can anybody give me a clue about this?

many thanks and so glad i found this forum ! hope to learn much here

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,

This is my first post and i just set my mind on having a reef tank. I am a total newbie on this. i already began my research and also read some of the forums in here.

i noticed that many people suggest to start with medium tanks rather than nano tanks since nano tanks, though compact, will have more issues than the medium. it is suggested by many to start with medium tanks and take it from there. Unfortunately it didn't state the actual size of a medium tanks.. can anybody give me a clue about this?

many thanks and so glad i found this forum ! hope to learn much here

Medium tanks are in the 30-125 gallon range. A 55 gallon is the best size for a beginner IMO.

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob here. I’m doing my fish planning while I wait for my tank to arrive this week. I want to make sure I have decided on my livestock so I can be sure to take their habitats into consideration when I build my rock formation and start cycling my tank. Getting the 32.5 gallon Fluval Flex and wanting a lot of variety of corals. So I have a couple questions

1. Corals : Obviously I can only fit so many corals in my tank. Is there a guide as to how many you should put in a tank? I realize they will vary in size and depend on aggression. I don’t see anything that ever says if there is a max growth size. If they grow into each other will they just contain the space allotted to them or try to over take the next coral? I’m looking at easy care non-aggressive corals, soft, SPS, LPS, no hard and plan to space them out and island place those that require it.

2. Inverts: Will have a CUC of snails, hermits, & shrimp. I see conflicting info about shrimp. I was looking at Blood Red Fire, Pistol, Skunk, and Peppermint based off suggestions in videos and readings. Can more than one type of shrimp be used? Is there a best one if you can only do one type? Also wondering about a clam. Are they a good or bad idea?

3. Fish: Really seeking expert advice here. I think, depending on which fish I go with, that my Max would be 5 or 6 fish. I tried to pick easy, peaceful, reef safe and those with different habitat/tank location preferences so I don’t have everyone in caves or sand or the water column.
Are my choices compatible? Will they all fit comfortably? And I have som fish specific questions below.
My wish list is:
Benggai Cardinal
Goby
Firefish
Royal Gramma
Green Mandarin
Tail Spot Blenny

Cardinal - I very much would like 2 Benggai Cardinals. Seeing conflicting info as to whether or not this will work and whether my 32.5 g is large enough? I would be happy having only those 2 fish if that needs to be the case. Also, if I do have an issue of them not bonding or getting along, I can move one in my daughter’s larger tank.
Goby - Can’t decide between Yellow Watchman, Hi Fin Red Band, or Diamond Watchman. Recommendations as to why one would be better than the others? Really wish I could do the Hi Fin and a 2nd :(
Firefish - Probably the cool cheap Firefish, but would love a Helfrichi Firefish
Royal Gramma
Green Mandarin
- would be a future endeavor once my tank has been long established, but want to reserve a space for it.
Tail Spot Blenny - if there is still room in the tank

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Still doing lots of research. I think my Fish list is complete aside from changes I need to make based on feedback. I’m not too particular on my CUC, just a couple questions there. And I’ve been doing lots of research on the corals and probably have a list of way more than will fit in my tank so I’m working on more research on care, growth, requirements, difficulty, etc. and trying to prioritize those I want the most.

Thanks again!

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob here. I’m doing my fish planning while I wait for my tank to arrive this week. I want to make sure I have decided on my livestock so I can be sure to take their habitats into consideration when I build my rock formation and start cycling my tank. Getting the 32.5 gallon Fluval Flex and wanting a lot of variety of corals. So I have a couple questions

1. Corals : Obviously I can only fit so many corals in my tank. Is there a guide as to how many you should put in a tank? I realize they will vary in size and depend on aggression. I don’t see anything that ever says if there is a max growth size. If they grow into each other will they just contain the space allotted to them or try to over take the next coral? I’m looking at easy care non-aggressive corals, soft, SPS, LPS, no hard and plan to space them out and island place those that require it.

2. Inverts: Will have a CUC of snails, hermits, & shrimp. I see conflicting info about shrimp. I was looking at Blood Red Fire, Pistol, Skunk, and Peppermint based off suggestions in videos and readings. Can more than one type of shrimp be used? Is there a best one if you can only do one type? Also wondering about a clam. Are they a good or bad idea?

3. Fish: Really seeking expert advice here. I think, depending on which fish I go with, that my Max would be 5 or 6 fish. I tried to pick easy, peaceful, reef safe and those with different habitat/tank location preferences so I don’t have everyone in caves or sand or the water column.
Are my choices compatible? Will they all fit comfortably? And I have som fish specific questions below.
My wish list is:
Benggai Cardinal
Goby
Firefish
Royal Gramma
Green Mandarin
Tail Spot Blenny

Cardinal - I very much would like 2 Benggai Cardinals. Seeing conflicting info as to whether or not this will work and whether my 32.5 g is large enough? I would be happy having only those 2 fish if that needs to be the case. Also, if I do have an issue of them not bonding or getting along, I can move one in my daughter’s larger tank.
Goby - Can’t decide between Yellow Watchman, Hi Fin Red Band, or Diamond Watchman. Recommendations as to why one would be better than the others? Really wish I could do the Hi Fin and a 2nd :(
Firefish - Probably the cool cheap Firefish, but would love a Helfrichi Firefish
Royal Gramma
Green Mandarin
- would be a future endeavor once my tank has been long established, but want to reserve a space for it.
Tail Spot Blenny - if there is still room in the tank

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Still doing lots of research. I think my Fish list is complete aside from changes I need to make based on feedback. I’m not too particular on my CUC, just a couple questions there. And I’ve been doing lots of research on the corals and probably have a list of way more than will fit in my tank so I’m working on more research on care, growth, requirements, difficulty, etc. and trying to prioritize those I want the most.

Thanks again!
for a 32 gallon tank, your stocking choices aren't bad, but 6 fish would be pushing it. the cardinals would be the biggest fish in the tank so if you want a pair, try having the pair, a firefish and the mandarin or goby. 1 cardinal you could do it with the firefish, mandarin, a goby + pistol shrimp pair, and the blenny.

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a 32 gallon tank, your stocking choices aren't bad, but 6 fish would be pushing it. the cardinals would be the biggest fish in the tank so if you want a pair, try having the pair, a firefish and the mandarin or goby. 1 cardinal you could do it with the firefish, mandarin, a goby + pistol shrimp pair, and the blenny.
Thanks. I'm going to give the 2 Cardinals a try first and see how they do together. If they don't get along, I'll move one to my daughter's bigger tank and go the other route. I plan to add slowly. I'm leaning towards starting with the 2 cardinals and the goby/shrimp pair to start.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSR450 (93gal) mixed reef with lots of softies and one maxima clam.
current fish & inverts:
2 pygama cardinals
1 yellow tang
1 coral beauty
1 azure damsel
1 Royal gramma
1purple firefish
1 Valentino puffer
1 blood shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
i would like to add either a Flame Angel or a Regal Angel if advisable

Thank you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back