Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

FishyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm downsizing from a 75g to a Fluval Evo 13.5g within the next couple of weeks. Sad to see it go but I have a new job and I'm just way too busy for the bigger aquarium so I need something that I will be able to manage better with my work schedule. Fortunately I didn't have many fish in my 75g to begin with, it currently has 1 royal gramma, 2 clownfish, and 1 pygmy hawkfish. I'm wondering how many of these fish I will be able to keep happy in the smaller tank and which I will need to rehome? I'd love to keep them all if possible but I don't want to overcrowd it. I will also be moving over some of the snails and 1 emerald crab in addition to a few of the smaller corals. Any advice would be much appreciated!

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Looking for some thoughts about adding a copper band to my mixed reef setup. 100 gallon total tank, 75 in display, plenty of rock, current fish, 3 clowns, 2 banghaii, 3 yellow tail damsel, one spot ff, lawnmower blenny, 2 chromis, 2 orchid dottyback. I think I'm ok with compatibility just wonder if I'm starting to crowd them. Thanks

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks!

Reefer 170, 34 gallons, going to be a reef tank.

Currently I have a YWG and a Firefish, it's a new tank.

I want to add a blenny who's a really good algae eater. Excluding the Lawnmower, what's the best algae eating blenny who's compatible.

Thanks!

Reed_J_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to learn of an open water fish (so not a goby) that can be the king of a 10 gallon nano tank. I don't plan on anything else besides crabs, snails and corals. Would a solitary azure damsel be a good option, considering aggression won't be an issue with only that fish being in the tank?

sorban86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm still very new at this. I've had a 40 galllon tank for 8-9 months and already upgraded to a 105 gallon tank. I am trying to plan out my stock list in advance. I don't want to add something that limits my future choices or is a problem to the tank.

By no means am I planning to put all the below in my tank but would like some advice on what will work together, how much of the list could I get in my tank and what order to introduce them.

Already in the tank
  • Pair of clownfish
  • Blue tang (very small)
  • Bicolour blenny
  • Pair of peppermint shrimp
Short List
  • Cleaner shrimp
  • Coral beauty
  • Flame angel
  • Foxface rabbitfish
  • Royal gramma
  • Yellow tang
  • Bluespotted watchman goby
Potentials
  • Tailspot blenny or lawnmower blenny
  • Square anthias or chromis
I'd love to have a coral beauty, flame angel and rabbitfish if that would work?

TobyPhatz77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a Jade Wrasse after mentioning that I’ve found a couple of zoa eating nudibranch at my LFS.
can’t find that much about them online but have read they grow up to 8 inches.
Im a bit concerned about tank size being that I have a 3x2x2.

Can anyone point me to a really good database on marine fish?

Any other feedback on the Jade Wrasse?

Much appreciated!

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new Aqeuon 30 gallon tank, waiting on life rocks, got 40# coming tomorrow, 60lb fiji pink live sand. Planning on doing macros, graciliara and chaeto in the back, will be buying two planted plus lights. 2 Hydor nano 425s in the middle up top by the water surface. Will have to add more in the bottom, maybe a pair of 240s few inches over the sand

What would be the best group size of Neon Damselfish for my tank? wanted to make it a species tank.

I'm a long ways off from even a cuc just trying to decide on stocking and these have caught my attention a few times before, not sure which I like more the flashy colors or the easy to please varied diet.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about how to stock my 180. There will be some sort of fang-tooth moray hanging out in the rocks. I quite like the look of the Japanese Dragon Eel, but he might be just a bit too big to handle, so also considering a mated pair of banana peels.

But that's not what I'm worried about. I'd also like to have a school/shoal of buffer fish hanging out to entice the other fish into the water column and just to swim around together. However, most of the options I've seen would be an eel meal. Any suggestions? They need to be safe with corals (including fleshy LPS), but most inverts will already be ruled out by the eel, so I'm okay with fish that aren't technically "reef safe" if that means they just eat snails/shrimp or something.

Maybe a small group of striped squirrelfish? I heard they get along in groups if introduced together. Or are they bullies/dangers to other fish?

expo703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new IM 25 Lagoon
Just finished cycle and have two small snowflake clowns currently.
I planned on adding a utilitarian fish.
I'm thinking I will go with a six line wrasse since they are small and good hunters..

if I were to do so could I fit any other fish in here or am I maxed out? I was thinking of a single firefish/dart fish? Also, want to make sure they all eat pellets as I might travel a decent amount.

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add in the order below
  • Yellow Watchman Goby and pistol shrimp pair
  • Zebra Barred Dartfish (pair or trio)
  • Starry Blenny
Have heard about compatibility issues with blenny, goby, dartfish. Can I add these three fish or will it create problems?
Will add over time to allow for biological filtration to catch up. Is this overstocked?
Would love to add Flame Angel in future if possible. Will be staying with mostly softies. Thoughts?

9 month old tank with “stable” parameters. 50 lbs. live rock in two separate structures (lots of hiding spots -I think) and sand bottom. No sump only HOB filtration.
Currently have 2 ocellaris clowns and single banggai cardinal. 2 cleaner shrimp, tuxedo urchin, serpent starfish and a few snails and hermits. GSP, Xenia, zoas and a small hammer coral. Everything in tank for over 3 months.

Appreciate your help!!

simpson270

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
I have a feather duster worm in my quarantine tank along with 5 Royal Gramma, the worm is now coming half way out of it tube and the feathers don't seem to be there any more. Do you think the Royal Gramma ate the feathers? Thanks for any help

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new IM 25 Lagoon
Just finished cycle and have two small snowflake clowns currently.
I planned on adding a utilitarian fish.
I'm thinking I will go with a six line wrasse since they are small and good hunters..

if I were to do so could I fit any other fish in here or am I maxed out? I was thinking of a single firefish/dart fish? Also, want to make sure they all eat pellets as I might travel a decent amount.
You're definitely not maxed out with 2 clowns and one wrasse; you could fit a lot more in there. However, the six line is known to be aggressive, especially in a small environment like that.

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put a dory in a 10 gallon? JK

all jokes aside, can I put another blenny in my 25? I have one blenny, a small wrasse, and 2 clownfish already. I am thinking a stary blenny but am unsure of which type for sure.

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is cycling - I have a Reefer 525xl 108 gallons, 31 gallon sump. 59x22x22.5 inch

I'm setting up my observation/quarantine tank as well....so I'm starting to think about my fish list:

This is my initial draft -

Input is welcome! Any issues with compatibility?

Banggai cardinals (2)
Long nose hawkfish (bottom/perch)
Exquisite fair wrasse (male)
Carpenters flasher wrasse (male)
Firefish (not sure what color)
Scooter blenny
Striped blenny

1 Tang (choices):

Kole Yellow eye tang or
White tale bristle tooth (sort of look the same as Kole yellow eyed. Bristletooth is expensive!)
Squaretail bristle tooth tang
Yellow Tang

I may move these fish over eventually - if I ever break down my 32 gallon biocube - Juries out)
Blue Alan damsel - (already own - in biocube)
Royal Gramma - (already own - in biocube)
Oscellaris Clowns (2) - already own (32 gallon biocube)
Lawnmower Bleen - already own (32 gallon biocube)

Jjv97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
Hi, I have just started in the hobby with a 10 gallon (48 litre) nano reef tank.

I have recently added a frostbite subzero clown fish (pictureand am looking to add one or two more fish in 2-3 weeks or so.

does anyone have any suggestions?

also, if anyone has any suggestions for some brightly coloured soft corals that would be great!
Thanks,

j

Attachments

• F0EC3FDC-CF74-4C9B-AB68-D1F7BBD32281.jpeg
    F0EC3FDC-CF74-4C9B-AB68-D1F7BBD32281.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1813.MOV
    17.2 MB

carterpaules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all I got a Lagoon 25
heres my build list cuz i got it copied

Aquarium NUVO Fusion Lagoon 25 Pro - AIO 25 Gallon Aquarium Bundle - Innovative Marine
Stand Eclife bathroom vanity
ATO 5 Gallon Plastic Hedpack with
ATO Smart ATO Micro Kit w/Pump - Automatic Top Off System - AutoAqua
HOB Overlow Fiji Cube Fiji-15 Advanced Sump + External Overflow Box × 1
Sump + Refugium 400i In Sump Protein Skimmer
Lights AP700
PowerHeads Maxspect Gyre 250
Heater Eheim Jager
Heater Ink bird controller
Cooler DaToo Aquarium Chiller
Return pump Mighty jet
Return pump Eco tech s1
Pellet Reactor Innovative Marine Minimax Pro Series Media Reactor (Desktop)

the sump and overflow are coming in the mail soon. same with the skimmer.

I am looking for suggests to build a tank around marine inverts, montipora, and clams
I have a conch and Midas blenny already, im looking for some odd ball inverts that would work well with this.

I also have some pencil urchins that came on my live rock.

Attachments

• IMG-5815.jpg
    IMG-5815.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-5814.jpg
    IMG-5814.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 41

nolasaltguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’m currently cycling my tank. And I’ve been looking at fish I may go with once everything is ready to go. Just wanting to know if all these would work together without a problem. Will also be doing coral in the tank. Tank is a 150 cube measure 36x36x27

Achilles Tang Hybrid
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Harlequin Tusk
Blue Spotted Jawfish
2 Clowns
Melanarus Wrasse
Quoyi Parrotfish poss reef safe
Passer Angle poss reef safe

KryptonsLast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you mix a neon goby with some type of sand sifting goby?

Doing extensive research before starting a tank. I will definitely be getting a pair of clowns and a tailspot blenny and a sand sifting shrimp goby with a pistol. It'll probably be a 35 gallon AIO and I'm compiling a list of fish suitable for that size as well as what will go best with my three must haves and what will fill the tank and make it as active as possible without anything getting hurt. I know certain types of sand sifting shrimp gobies can be anywhere from 2 1/2 inches to 6. Would any type be okay with a neon since it's small, don't really look alike, isn't a sifter?

If helps the rest of my compiled list of other possible fish are firefish,royal Gramma, zebra barred dartfish,yellow headed dartfish, and less likely due to their tendency to be aggressive a orchid dottyback or black cap basslet. (They're so colorful. Why they gotta be so mean?) Out of the two I prefer the black cap.

This is just a list of other fish that I like outside of my must haves that could potentially go in my future tank size and not a list I want to throw all together.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back