Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think not. No. The pygmy wrasses like to manuever in and out of your rockwork unseen.
Not enough room. I would recommend clown goby. Rainfords goby. Something small. Tiny.
Or upgrade to a 40-75gal aquarium
Hths
D

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys i am new to this hobby i am setting up a FOWLR salt water tank initially though i intended to make it a reef eventually. I wanted to know if i can keep this fish in the same tank or not ,thanks in advance.
Tank specifications
L*B*H = 81*24*30(inches) roughly 960 liters with a sump of 255 liters , so a total water volume of 321 gallons. The sump will have refugium with magicmud and a algae scraper also.
Lighting will be cfl bulbs with atnic tubes
I will have a modified two part dosing system.
After the tank is properly cycled for 6 months i look to add the living stocks in the following order
1. Bubble tip anemone
2. After the bta is settled a pair of clown fish (1 male + 1 female)
3. Copper band butterfly
4. After the CBB is well adapted and eating 1 pair of Moorish idol
5. After few months a yellow tang
6. At the same time a powder blue tang
7. After few months a Achilles tang
8. And last addition will be emperor angel.
before buying each fish i will make sure i am buying a healthy specimen , observing its eating or not at the lfs.
Welcome to the hobby! Not the blow your bubble, but since you’re a beginner, I would say the CBB and moorish idols are kinda impossible right now. They’re fish that super veteran reefers DREAM of keeping. The CBB has just recently been captive bred though, so maybe wait for those to be commercially available? The powder Blue and Achilles are a little too big for a 75, not to mention Achilles are also only for experienced keepers, and are extremely expensive. Emperor angels are also way too large for a 75. The yellow tang and clowns would be great though! And your lighting and dosing plans are great! Some good fish of recommend for a 75 are any bristletooth tangs (my personal fav is the tomini), most common anthias species, lots of gobies, some smaller angelfish, and a lot more!

kerbfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Restocking my 132 gallon Red Sea 625 XL after all gosh had succumbed to velvet...

Currently have :

3 Bimac anthias
2 percula clowns
1 leopard wrasse (male)

looking to add next:

powder blue tang
Blonde naso
Possible scopas,clown or blue tang

I know naso could eventually outgrow tank but really want it (cruel ? Haha)

also wondered if you all thought a
male blue throat trigger would be reef safe...

I have a mixed reef and corals are the main attraction at this time in my tank.

I had a flame angel before but heard some arent reef safe, what about potters angel ?

thanks guys....

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think not. No. The pygmy wrasses like to manuever in and out of your rockwork unseen.
Not enough room. I would recommend clown goby. Rainfords goby. Something small. Tiny.
Or upgrade to a 40-75gal aquarium
Hths
D
Oh. on liveaquaria it says they only get 2.5 inches big, and only need a 15 gallon tank. are clown gobies ok with watchman gobies?

ReefersLove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225g mixed reef tank currently with The following Tangs- Powder Blue, Yellow, Blonde Naso and White Tail. Also a Fox face, 6 tarnate damsels, 4 yellow tail damsels, pair of clownfish, cleaner wrasse, yellow head goby and cuc. I really want to add some wrasses but don’t know what would be best. I would also like to add a pair of blue throat triggers. I would appreciate any advice on timing and types of Wrasses especially and what kind of QT treatments they can tolerate. Thanks!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insta reeferlove mist wrasse dont fair well under copper treatment.
You can observe 1 month in a tank with wc after wc.
The triggers add last. Your adding a lot of fish.
The wrasses will matter only if you have a sandbed or not or you like to add cuc from time time. Guessing the 2 triggers will also eat cuc...
Cuc clean up crew.
Someone complain about my acronyns so i drop it their. Lol. :p
Six lines
Eight lines
Blue headed wrasses
Fairys and flashers
Rombius
Leopards
I think ur tank will be open to a lot of wrasses depending on flownand rockwork as well as the sand.... would u say ur tanks busy as is?
Lots of fish movement? U have a lid?
-d

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO any Fairy Wrasse, any Flasher Wrasse, any Leopard, Tamarin or Pencil Wrasse, and most Halichoeres will work. The Leopard and Pencil Wrasses as well as the Tamarin Wrasses are more difficult. Maybe even some of the smaller Coris Wrasses not sure of the exact species.

A combination Fairy Wrasses (see evolved’s compatibility table), Flasher Wrasses, Halichoeres and Leopards / Pencils would make a great display. If you choose species that max out at 5-6” you can do a number of them, but it’s recommended that you do one specimen per species.

-Halichoeres chrysurus / leuxocanthus

-Halichoeres melanurus

-Halichoeres biocellatus

-Halichoeres claudia

-Halichoeres cosmetus

-Halichoeres iridis (Some sites list it as Expert Only?)

-Blue Head Fairy Wrasse (Cyanopleura and cf. Cyanopleura)

-Lubbock’s And Yellow Flanked Fairy Wrasse (C. Lubbocki and C. Aurantodorsalis)

-Pin Tail Fairy Wrasse (C. isoceles)

-Solar Fairy Wrasse (C. Solarensis)

-Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse (C. Naokoae) *more aggressive than some of the others

Just to name a few.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience keeping Anthias in pairs? If I ever consider Anthias at some point I would keep a pair of Rubrizonatus , Lyretails (Indian) or Hutchii. If one a P. Fasciatus or O. Borbonius. Are these hardy species? Do they need lots of space?

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you keep a Midas Blenny and a Tailspot Blenny together? It is a 100 gallon tank. Wasn't sure if they will get along nicely

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I've been in the hobby for a while but have never had a big enough tank to do interesting fish. I've recently upgraded my tank to a 5' RedSea 625 and I'm looking to add a few fish and specifically Tangs.

In the tank right now I have
2x vincci mocha clowns
2x orange Anthias
1 mandarin
1 Powder Brown tang
mixed reef with inverts and SPS/LPS

I would love to add up to 2 more tangs and some other social safe fish but having trouble really knowing what will work. I'm not picky, just like colorful fish that swim and are social (hence why I like tangs)

I'm looking for input on fish and specifically a couple of tangs that will work with the one i have now.

All input is welcomed, thx!

bruce53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of purchasing the last few pieces for my tank and I wanted to also get started on working out a stock list for my tank.

The tank is a 75g. Obviously what I would like to put in the tank and what can go in there safely is two diff things. My list below is what I would like to have over the long term and def not right away.

Yellow Tang or Kole Tang
2 x clowns (Black Ice / Snowflake clowns)

Firefish Goby
Purple Firefish Goby
Orchid Dottyback
Blue Spotted Jawfish
Yellow watchman
Sixline Wrasse or MCCOSKER'S FLASHER WRASSE
Flame Angel
Pygmy Angelfish
3 x Royal Gramma

Possible List
2 x cardinalfish or Pajamas
Group of Azure Damselfish

2 x Pistol Shrimp
Blue Maxima Clam
Bubble tip anemone

Live Aquaria Cleaner package
Package Contains
15 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
15 Astraea Turbo Snails
30 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
1 Sally Lightfoot Crab or
Fighting Conch
1 Arrow Crab
2 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
10 Nassarius Snails

Eventually - after 8+ months of pod seeding
2 x Mandarin Dragonets's m/f
Be careful with the gobies and Dragonette as they will escape and die from the smallest opening in your top. Ive lost 2 Dragonettes already.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back