Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think the tank was just crowded, it wouldn’t let any fish within 6” of a burrow opening. Blood orange clowns came in today, fingers crossed they both make it. Slight pecking at first but seem to have settled down. Ora sent them close to the same size and one had beat up fins out of the bag. Couldn’t believe the tiny bags they sent them in either, granted they were in separate bags.

E917D5E6-0036-4FC1-8FAA-3FD14E482C11.jpeg

dkfrosty1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, wow some ambitious stock lists out there! Mine are much more modest. I am looking for suggestions on an interesting colorful reef safe selection to compliment my existing crew.
I have a 65 gallon with 5 gallon refugium.
I currently have for fish
2 black and white occelarus
1 coral beauty angel
1 spot tail blenny
1 “yellow” watchman goby (white)
1 female rhomboid wrass
1 fire fish goby
1 yellowtail damsel (can’t get him out and he’s a total gimp so no one would take him anyways)

for inverts
Hermits
Various snails including two conchs
1 Halloween crab
1 tiger pistol shrimp
2 fire shrimp
And 1 bristle star (supposedly as never seen) lol

for coral I’m just getting started. Mostly softies

ive considered another small wrasse, I would love a tang but I know my tank is too small. I don’t want to add anything that will stress my current group

I appreciate any suggestions.

joefeets1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently picked up a 60 gallon cube from someone who was getting out of the hobby. It included everything he had, livestock and all. Right now the only fish in there are the 3 fish he had (2 clarkii clowns and a blue hippo tang). The tang will be getting rehomed soon but I’d like to add some fish to my mixed reef set up but kinda lost.

dkfrosty1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, wow some ambitious stock lists out there! Mine are much more modest. I am looking for suggestions on an interesting colorful reef safe selection to compliment my existing crew.
I have a 65 gallon with 5 gallon refugium.
I currently have for fish
2 black and white occelarus
1 coral beauty angel
1 spot tail blenny
1 “yellow” watchman goby (white)
1 female rhomboid wrass
1 fire fish goby
1 yellowtail damsel (can’t get him out and he’s a total gimp so no one would take him anyways)

for inverts
Hermits
Various snails including two conchs
1 Halloween crab
1 tiger pistol shrimp
2 fire shrimp
And 1 bristle star (supposedly as never seen) lol

for coral I’m just getting started. Mostly softies

ive considered another small wrasse, I would love a tang but I know my tank is too small. I don’t want to add anything that will stress my current group

I appreciate any suggestions.

heres a pic.

Attachments

• 8AF8DFB9-971A-440C-AAF0-7455ADDA3022.jpeg
    8AF8DFB9-971A-440C-AAF0-7455ADDA3022.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 94

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving the pair the tank to themselves is probably a good idea. As far as nutrients are concerned, if you notice any issues relating to it, you can always just increase the amount of food by a little bit at a time.
Thanks for the feedback, so far so good, they seem to be settling in. Have been feeding a bit extra dry food and managed to get nitrates in the 5-10 range. Will have to make sure not to overdue it and end up with a ton more bristle worms.

I shut off the red, green and white leds as well as the blues at night and the hair algae is receding, but I also removed a good chunk manually. Gonna pick up water Friday and change 50% after I clean some more off.

Hoping to keep it with just the two fish, I debate on adding a six line if the bristle worms get out of control with the extra feeding but hoping to avoid it, assuming it will give me more problems. Not a lot of information out there on these fish so not sure what would even work for a third fish.

Lilnoelle80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an engineer goby I was going to quarantine with 3 Blueheaded wrasses in a 40g long. It has sand and pvc pipes in it. The three wrasses are currently in the tank and get along with each other. Just wasn’t sure if adding the engineer goby would be a problem.

lelolai15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am getting back into the hobby after ten years. I have a 20 gal. RedSea Max Nano. The tank has been cycling for one week thus far with live rock and dry rock (lights off). My intention is to build a reef tank with about three fishes and possibly a shrimp of some sort. The must have is a clown fish but I want to make sure that the other three are functional for the tank. Algae control and possibly one that will keep my sand clean.

Since I am going pretty slow with the process, (No rush here just trying to enjoy it) there is no algae in the tank at the moment to sustain a preferred diet. However, I am open to manually feed.

I am curious what is recommended.

Thank you!

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tank yet, in process of planning as this will be my main show tank.
Two fish I want to get and plan the tank around them.
Powder Blue Tang, and 1-2 yellow tangs.
tank size I have been looking at is a 5’x2’x2’, 150 gallon.
what are your thoughts? I like the 5’ length as it will fit in more locations than a 6’.
if I had to go to a 6’x2’x2’- 180 gallon that’s possible but would rather stick with 5’ in length.
let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

reefman888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new 92 gallon corner bow-front mixed with a good bit of rock and hiding places. I am hoping to have a mix of reef safe fish, inverts and corals. I have no idea which inverts and corals I will choose yet but I hope to have a variety. I plan to add 1 fish per month if there are no problems (with exception of adding both clowns together).

Clown (x2)
Firefish Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby
Blue Reef Chromis
Orchid Dottyback
Flame Angelfish
Black Nox Angelfish
Bicolor Angelfish
Yellow Tang

My questions are:
1. Is this stocking order, the best order?
2. Is adding all of these dwarf angels a terrible idea? I really love the way these guys look. Any way to make this stock work with corals? Any of these dwarf angels particularly a red flag for corals?
3. Appropriate amount of fish for a 92gal? (probably 90 gallons total water volume once you count sump and total water displacement from rock) - Idea is to have these fish, a handful of inverts and a variety of corals.
4. Should I not do the yellow tang? Its my favorite reef fish, so I am hoping it will work, but I know this tank is on the small side for this fish.

Thanks!
i have the same tank and been running for over 15 years :)

1. Is this stocking order, the best order? there are no best order. rule of thumb add easy peaceful ones 1st
2. Is adding all of these dwarf angels a terrible idea? I really love the way these guys look. Any way to make this stock work with corals? Any of these dwarf angels particularly a red flag for corals? yes, all on the list will nip
3. Appropriate amount of fish for a 92gal? (probably 90 gallons total water volume once you count sump and total water displacement from rock) - Idea is to have these fish, a handful of inverts and a variety of corals. depends on the size of fish and how much stuff are in tank. best to start low cause is pita to remove fish
4. Should I not do the yellow tang? Its my favorite reef fish, so I am hoping it will work, but I know this tank is on the small side for this fish. a small one is fine

RoundysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

I am new to saltwater and am trying my hand at a Juwel lido 120 to start with and plan to upgrade along the way, as it is about 34 Gallons I was wondering how many fish would be reasonable for this size and what species, my thoughts based on advice online so far are:

2 x Clownfish
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Six line Wrasse
1 x watchmen Goby
1 x pistol shrimp

And some Clean up crew

Please let me know of your thoughts if this is a good maximum of fish, it will be a long way away until all are in as I want to establish the tank etc.

Attachments

• 20211112_164042.jpg
    20211112_164042.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 64

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

I am new to saltwater and am trying my hand at a Juwel lido 120 to start with and plan to upgrade along the way, as it is about 34 Gallons I was wondering how many fish would be reasonable for this size and what species, my thoughts based on advice online so far are:

2 x Clownfish
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Six line Wrasse
1 x watchmen Goby
1 x pistol shrimp

And some Clean up crew

Please let me know of your thoughts if this is a good maximum of fish, it will be a long way away until all are in as I want to establish the tank etc.
You're fine with the number of fish, but you might have a more peaceful tank if you ditch the clownfish and the sixline wrasse. Mated clownfish pairs can be very territorial, and can be a terror in the tank. Sixline wrasse are active, darty fish, and you can peruse the multiple "worst fish ever!" threads to read exactly why many people regret putting them in their tank.

Neither the gramma nor the goby/watchman pair are likely to pose a problem to other tank inhabitants. You'll then be free to open up your tank to other fun, personable species like blennies and pygmy filefish.

Moone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
Is it possible to keep
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 Black Nox Angelfish
3 Dispar Anthias
2 Forktail Blennies
1 Carpentar Flash Wrasse
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Spotted Mandarin
& Possible a Longnose hawkfish
in a 75 gallon?

Steelcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
I'm starting up a 40 gallon display tank with 20 gallon sump.
2 clownfish
1 midas blenny
1 wrasse (not sure which)
I'd like an additional fish but I'm not sure if I should get a goby or something else.

Various snails/hermits/cleaner shrimp/crab

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
I'm starting up a 40 gallon display tank with 20 gallon sump.
2 clownfish
1 midas blenny
1 wrasse (not sure which)
I'd like an additional fish but I'm not sure if I should get a goby or something else.

Various snails/hermits/cleaner shrimp/crab
Royal Gramma is always a staple in my tanks and one would fit in here. Some other options you could consider are a dartfish, a bottom dwelling goby (I like tiger watchman and diamond, but you should let your tank mature before getting a diamond goby), or a jawfish. As for the wrasse, flasher wrasses and fairy wrasses are the way to go for that size of tank. You could also do a six-line, but if you go that route add it last.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will snowflake eels eat pintail fairy wrasses and lyretail anthias?
Snowflake eels are about as safe as you can get with eels. Just look out for your inverts because they might become an expensive dinner.

darrow0903

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Didn't realize there's a thread for this! Here's my stock:
I have a Fluval Flex Sea 32.5 gallon rank

2 Gladiator Clownfish
2 Bangaii Cardinals
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Pistol Shrimp
3 Mexican Turbo Snails, 2 Margarita Snails, 2 Trochus Snails, 2 Nassarius Snails, 2 Nerite Snails, 3 Emerald Crabs

I'm looking at adding 1-2 other fish:
Starry Blenny
Midas Blenny
Coral Beauty Angelfish
A fairy wrasse
Any other suggestions?

Essentially I want more colour and something that will inhabit the middle part of the tank.

THank you!

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going from a 24x13x16 20g to a 70g 30x30x18, 90g total. SPS dominant bare bottom.

I have an Oscellaris Clownfish, Six-Line Wrasse, and a Lawnmower Blenny currently. Everyone gets along. I'm in no rush to add anything once I make the transfer. But if it's smart to add during the transfer, I will.

Really the only fish I've had in mind is a Yellow Candy Hogfish. Mainly to double up on another flatworm hunter. I've also considered maybe adding another Oscellaris. I was think 6-7 total fish.

I'm open to any ideas!

AM-JKLXdzvimdu8fIFXx3MiV1p4ZbsCrjyerf3S6jeXCb3L6GcMYgg94q9iC4b3_0B7NffmiygcsLg7fFIIA7Nv57ahS2ssFhH_uLIaYdX3A_WUmMgCX3mIrcWyT4gREWWh9fH-iypu1sxs8wgsj3r8seKZd=w1718-h967-no

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking to add a fish for my waterbox 10g nano cube, this is a fairly new tank about 2 months in. Plans will be mixed reef mainly zoas rfas and euphylia. Already have 1 fish a tailspot blenny, and he’s pretty awesome!

would like 2-3 fish ultimately would like to keep billiard on the lighter side since I’m not running a skimmer and to reduce wc’s.

would like something peaceful and preferably not too shy!

I am in between the
yellow banded possum wrasse
Pink streak wrasse
Tanakas Pygmy wrasse

also was interested in a court jester goby aka rainford goby

Only thing is I know all these fish are possible jumpers and I am running the tank without a lid. I would like to keep it that way unless I absolutely must put a lid on it

Attachments

• 1919FF87-6C9B-4C89-AA5C-D9CEAACFFA64.jpeg
    1919FF87-6C9B-4C89-AA5C-D9CEAACFFA64.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 46
  • D13645FA-8AAB-42BF-9D02-7772A1AC0E68.jpeg
    D13645FA-8AAB-42BF-9D02-7772A1AC0E68.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 55

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back