Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lawnmower blenny, i’am having a difficult time getting him fed. There is a limited amount of algae in my tank, I have tried algae wafers, brine shrimp, nori. Any suggestions ?
Lawnmower blennies aren't always the best eaters of prepared foods. My current one didn't eat frozen for several months (I wanna say 6, but can't remember).

You might try something live, like live brine or if your fish store happens to have blackworms or white worms. On the nori, I usually tell people to try a rubberband on a rock rather than a clip. That sometimes works.

It can be a challenge. They are also infamous jumpers.

Sky2Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blennies aren't always the best eaters of prepared foods. My current one didn't eat frozen for several months (I wanna say 6, but can't remember).

You might try something live, like live brine or if your fish store happens to have blackworms or white worms. On the nori, I usually tell people to try a rubberband on a rock rather than a clip. That sometimes works.

It can be a challenge. They are also infamous jumpers.
Thanks, but it’s too late.. he expired yesterday..

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am very new to the hobby and haven't purchased my tank yet, I'm still in the research phase.
I will only be able to get a 20 gallon tank to begin with, so unfortunately i can't get a moorish idol or royal blue tang which are my dream fish!
You're awesome for doing the research and making conscientious decisions!
But I am thinking of getting a pair of clownfish, maybe a royal gramma and a blue yellowtail damsel.
That might work. It's possible that the clown pair will take over that whole tank. The clowns + gramma are likely to be okay. Clowns are damsels, so they may not tolerate the yellowtail damsel.
I have heard that the damsels can be aggressive, though and that's what I'm worried about.
Some can be. That species, and the others in the same genus Chrysiptera are generally pretty mild mannered. The clowns will be more aggressive, likely.
Should I forget about adding a damsel
That might be easiest. For a new hobbyist with a smallish tank, I like people to have success. I do love those damsels, though.
Also, once the tank is fully cycled and ready, can i add an anemone, corals, and fish all on the same day or should I stagger it?
Once the tank is cycled, you can add fish. If you don't go crazy on feeding, you'll likely be okay as far as ammonia, but I would test for it. If you want to stagger it, I would add the gramma first. There is also quarantine to consider, as many folks like to do that.

For corals, some hardy ones like most soft corals and certain LPS could probably go in early. Anemones and certain corals don't like swings in parameters that new tanks have. What anemone? If it's just a bubble tip, that might be worth trying early. I might not put an expensive carpet anemone in a new tank.

One more thing. 20 Longs are good tanks, and better than 20 highs. You might look into a 40 breeder, as they are still cheap (50 bucks at a Petco sale), and would give you more livestock options.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maine mocha clownfish x2
Blue reef chromis x5
Royal gramma x1
Orange spotted goby x1
Tailspot blenny x1

What do you guys think of this stock list?
My gph is 1370 for surface flow.
I have my heat at 79.5
Salinity 1.025
36 gallons
Heater 300w
36 pounds of rock
20 pounds of live sand
Uv sterilizer
Canister filter
White, green, and blue light

The Chromis get pretty big quickly. I’d reduce the number there. As they get older they don’t look as cute…trust me. All the other fish are great!

Reevaluate the heater size. 300w is a lot for a 36/G. A 100W would be more appropriate or (2) 50w heaters.

Also, consider drilling your tank. A sump is an excellent place to house equipment. It will allow for a skimmer, fuge, etc. A canister filter is typically used in FW more than salt. I know the tank is only 36/G but it’s worth it to drill and get it “Reef Ready!” Plenty of videos and help here on how to do it. It’s actually very easy.

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chromis get pretty big quickly. I’d reduce the number there. As they get older they don’t look as cute…trust me. All the other fish are great!

Reevaluate the heater size. 300w is a lot for a 36/G. A 100W would be more appropriate or (2) 50w heaters.

Also, consider drilling your tank. A sump is an excellent place to house equipment. It will allow for a skimmer, fuge, etc. A canister filter is typically used in FW more than salt. I know the tank is only 36/G but it’s worth it to drill and get it “Reef Ready!” Plenty of videos and help here on how to do it. It’s actually very easy.
I don't plan on having it reef ready, plus my tank is tempered glass not the reinforced plastic tanks everyone else has. If I drill it the wrong way it will crack and shatter. I want to keep this one fish only. I'll get a bigger tank next year and cycle that one for reef stuff. I was eyeing a 120gal tank.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chromis get pretty big quickly. I’d reduce the number there. As they get older they don’t look as cute
I think Jeff is still cute.
Screenshot_20220122-023524_Photos.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually love it, I seen a fat huge blue reef chromis at my LFS in a coral tank they had, he had to be at least a inch thick and 5 to 6 inches long.
I try to show my chromis with streamers.

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This big adjustable heater keeps the water equally heated and doesn't constantly on off to keep it heated up, like I noticed with smaller ones. In my experience on FW tank the smaller ones burnt up faster. I also have a digital temp mounted in the tank so everything is reading proper.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan on having it reef ready, plus my tank is tempered glass not the reinforced plastic tanks everyone else has. If I drill it the wrong way it will crack and shatter. I want to keep this one fish only. I'll get a bigger tank next year and cycle that one for reef stuff. I was eyeing a 120gal tank.

Fair enough. Tempered definitely wouldn’t be good to drill. :)

A 120/G is a perfect tank. Highly recommend. You’ll be happy with it. I actually have a 105/G with same footprint, but not as tall. It’s 20” instead of 24”. Great height to reach into the tank.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This big adjustable heater keeps the water equally heated and doesn't constantly on off to keep it heated up, like I noticed with smaller ones. In my experience on FW tank the smaller ones burnt up faster. I also have a digital temp mounted in the tank so everything is reading proper.

That works I guess. I perfer to run two smaller ones for better stability. I hope they don’t burn up on me.

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works I guess. I perfer to run two smaller ones for better stability. I hope they don’t burn up on me.
I have good stability, even with ac on in the house it never moves from 80.1f. After a water change it goes back to normal within 10-20mins

42ELITASREV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, I was generally aware that they were available now as a captive bred. I didn't realize that means they are usually eating prepared foods, that will sure move up the timeline for getting one.

Jessica Erhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was gifted a 45 gal and I've decided to give a reef tank a shot. I wrote out of fish I like and I wanted everyone's opinions or recommendations on different fish. So far I have a coral beauty angelfihs, diamond goby, blue spot jawfish, green mandarin goby, midas blenny, maroon clown, green chromis, pajama cardinalfish, helfrichi firefish, and maybe a snowflake eel if I can get a secure lid.

DocKnock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! :cool:

Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! :cool:
Hi All! This is my first post on R2R and it is in preparation for my first Reef Tank! I recently purchased a G2 425 Reefer from Red Sea which is 88 gal display, 24 gal sump so 112 Gal all in. It includes 2 RL 90 lights (is that good?) and a protein skimmer 300 (once again, is that good?). It has not been delivered yet but I have already started prepping my rock sculpture and desired fish and corals lists. I am trying to get an idea of if I am being too ambitious, but most importantly what order to start stocking in. I have a general idea of some fish/corals need a more mature tank/refugium but the nuances are still a mystery to me. Below is a list of fish that I definitely want and then below that is a list that I would like if I am not over crowding the tank. CUC will likely be small snails and cleaner shrimp and then I will adjust as needed. Corals will be more of a game time decision and likely end up with a decent amount of Zoa’s until the tank is more mature.

Definitely want:

2 Ocellaris Clownfish (starters)
1 Royal Gramma
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Midas Blenny
1 Naoko Wrasse
1 Fire Goby (getting a lid for sure)
1 Scarlet Dragonet (after established refugium, of course)
1 of the following other gobies – Diamond, Pink Spotted, Bella, Yellow Watchman

Nice to haves, but obviously can’t fit them all:

Another type of Blenny - Bi-color maybe?
Another Wrasse – Yellow Wrasse?
Pyramid Butterfly – best in a set of 3?
Zebra Barred Dartfish – another one that should be in 3’s?
White Tail Kole Tang
One Spot Foxface

Below are some preliminary thoughts on the layout. Any comments/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Aquascape.jpg
    Aquascape.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Potential Coral Placements.jpg
    Potential Coral Placements.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 37

tonyc247

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for my next fish for a 2 year old mixed reef tank. 56 gallons 30”x18”x25” tall. I have 2 B&W ocellaris clownfish, 2 Bangaii cardinals, blue-spotted jawfish, and a royal gramma. I’m looking for a peaceful and colorful fish. Any suggestions? Thanks

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! This is my first post on R2R and it is in preparation for my first Reef Tank! I recently purchased a G2 425 Reefer from Red Sea which is 88 gal display, 24 gal sump so 112 Gal all in. It includes 2 RL 90 lights (is that good?) and a protein skimmer 300 (once again, is that good?). It has not been delivered yet but I have already started prepping my rock sculpture and desired fish and corals lists. I am trying to get an idea of if I am being too ambitious, but most importantly what order to start stocking in. I have a general idea of some fish/corals need a more mature tank/refugium but the nuances are still a mystery to me. Below is a list of fish that I definitely want and then below that is a list that I would like if I am not over crowding the tank. CUC will likely be small snails and cleaner shrimp and then I will adjust as needed. Corals will be more of a game time decision and likely end up with a decent amount of Zoa’s until the tank is more mature.

Definitely want:

1 Royal Gramma
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Midas Blenny
1 Naoko Wrasse
1 Fire Goby (getting a lid for sure)
1 of the following other gobies – Diamond, Pink Spotted, Bella, Yellow Watchman

Nice to haves, but obviously can’t fit them all:

Another type of Blenny - Bi-color maybe?
Pyramid Butterfly – best in a set of 3?
Zebra Barred Dartfish – another one that should be in 3’s?
White Tail Kole Tang
One Spot Foxface

Below are some preliminary thoughts on the layout. Any comments/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I'd suggest planning your order something like this:
1 Fire Goby (getting a lid for sure) Shy so add early
1 Royal Gramma
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Midas Blenny Best blenny IMO but may bully fire goby/fire goby may be terrified without bullying
1 Naoko Wrasse My favorite wrasse but may take a while to find as quite rare
1 Flame Hawkfish A little more aggressive than the longnose, may kill clean up crew
1 of the following other gobies - I'd get a goby smaller than the diamond as that's going to cause mayhem in a 88 (mine has done too much in a bigger) I'd suggest a yellow and pistol shrimp combo maybe

Another type of Blenny - Bi-color maybe? Unfortunately blennies don't get along
Pyramid Butterfly – best in a set of 3? Difficult
Zebra Barred Dartfish – another one that should be in 3’s? May not get along with fire goby but unsure
White Tail Kole Tang Aggressive, add last
One Spot Foxface A must in my opinion

Overall this is a good list and quite similar to my stock in my 110gallon. The issue is with bennies and darters (like the fire goby) they tend to not get along. My only suggestion would be a couple cardinals and some cleaner shrimp (add before hawkfish).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back