Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Powder Brown is not normally a species that swims close to the reef and instead prefers the room for swimming. The Yellow tang (I personally believe this species also needs a 6’ tank to thrive) is less active and stays closer to the reef and caves in the wild.

If I were you I wouldn’t do those tangs in the tank as they would most likely stress out in the long term due to swim room and potentially die - if you went a powder brown, if these stress they risk diseases which can wipe out your entire fish stock. Instead I would personally go for a small Ctenochaetus species as these don’t get overly huge for tangs and can thrive in 4’ tanks. The ones I would recommend are one of these;
- Ctenochaetus binotatus
- Ctenochaetus flavicauda
- Ctenochaetus trunctatus
- Ctenochaetus cf. striatus
- Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus
- Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Thanks, trying to figure out what fish I'm able to add and powder brown has been one of my favorites. I will assuredly pass on those tangs. Still don't know if I'll for sure go for a tang. What about one spot foxface or copperband? I know the copperbands can be tough so I would have to be prepared with all the foods for it.. but would either of those fit in the tank ok?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, trying to figure out what fish I'm able to add and powder brown has been one of my favorites. I will assuredly pass on those tangs. Still don't know if I'll for sure go for a tang. What about one spot foxface or copperband? I know the copperbands can be tough so I would have to be prepared with all the foods for it.. but would either of those fit in the tank ok?
Yeah a one spot would do nicely. Wouldn’t add as first fish as they like some companions to feel safe.

I’m not sure about copperband it may depend on the dimensions of your tank?
I personally don’t keep copperbands or recommend them as they are a difficult fish that die more often then not.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah a one spot would do nicely. Wouldn’t add as first fish as they like some companions to feel safe.

I’m not sure about copperband it may depend on the dimensions of your tank?
I personally don’t keep copperbands or recommend them as they are a difficult fish that die more often then not.
Yea I may do something like the foxface and the Ctenochaetus trunctatus tang then. If I do a butterfly ever it would prolly be a smaller, easier one just seemed like copperbands are fairly reef safe. I really like a pearlscale but don't know if I want to risk the corals. Ty

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I may do something like the foxface and the Ctenochaetus trunctatus tang then. If I do a butterfly ever it would prolly be a smaller, easier one just seemed like copperbands are fairly reef safe. I really like a pearlscale but don't know if I want to risk the corals. Ty
I currently own a CBB that’s heading towards the 3 year mark, mine is extremely easy to keep however the key is to find one that has been in captivity for a few weeks and is eating ferociously. This is a species I would get from an LFS I trust with my life personally.

There is a species in the Chelmon genus that is generally easy from day one but goes for a bit more. Chelmon marginalis, the Margined Butterfly. This is a beautiful species and looks similar to the rostratus however the adults are missing the middle stripe and only have a faint eyespot.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pearlscales are a risk but few reefer have had success with them. I’d recommend a Pyramid Butterfly fish as they are the closest to reef safe you can get many reefers out there keep them and have success. Not telling you it’s bulletproof though.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, it's been helpful. I've gone back and forth on the butterfly topic a couple times and really like them but there are plenty of other fish that may be more in my skill level I'd be perfectly happy with. Maybe one day when the lfs down the road has the perfect specimen..

leahkammeraad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a 125 cheep on fb market looking to combine my 10 gal with 2 clowns and 20 gal with 3 clown fish hoping this tank is big enough for them to get along (the 38 gallon was not)
Going to have sand and lots of dry rock (may add the live rock from 38 gallon not sure because there are pests on rock)

Opinions on this stocking list are welcome
kids want a rainbow of fish so we're looking at: this is my planned order too (please tell me if there are any problems)

the 5 clownfish (2from 10 gal and 3 from 38 gal) (orange) (if they have problems i will rehome fish)
1 pink spot watchman goby and pistol pair) ( pink)
1 yellow coris Wrasse (eats pests?) (yellow)
1 red stop light cardinal fish ( red)
1 green clown goby ( green)
1 Royal Gramma ( purple)
1 mandarin goby
1 blue fish small and peaceful (maybe sapphire damsel?) ( blue)
1 blue eye bristletooth tang (eats algae)

the kids want a school of pajama cardinal fish but i feel like that would be way to much

clean up crew
1 star fish (Tiger striped brittle or serpant star?) do i want more then 1 with this size tank?
1 tuxedo urchin?
a variety of snails ( turbo, cowrie, trochus, cerith, nassarius) preferably self righting
maybe hermit crabs too not happy that the hermit crabs killed all the snails i bought for the last tank

we're going to add a couple of anemone after 6 months i heard if you have different types of anemone more the clowns are more likely to get along but i'm not sure what types other then bubble tips i can have. would anemone that live on sand be bothered by my sand sifters?

we're planning on having coral adding after the anemone
corals we're looking at getting include : i'm looking for color and movement plan on having softy and lps
zoanthids
maybe an island of pulsing xenia
branching hammer coral
maybe bubble coral
maybe duncan
maybe candy cane
son likes the idea of the back wall covered with gsp

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a 125 cheep on fb market looking to combine my 10 gal with 2 clowns and 20 gal with 3 clown fish hoping this tank is big enough for them to get along (the 38 gallon was not)
Going to have sand and lots of dry rock (may add the live rock from 38 gallon not sure because there are pests on rock)

Opinions on this stocking list are welcome
kids want a rainbow of fish so we're looking at: this is my planned order too (please tell me if there are any problems)
Seems like you're starting a fun project. For the most part everything looks great but here are my thoughts:

The 5 clownfish (2from 10 gal and 3 from 38 gal) (orange) (if they have problems i will rehome fish) Add at the same time
1 pink spot watchman goby and pistol pair) ( pink) Good choice, other suggestions are a pink-streaked wrasse or anthias though anthias are more difficult
1 yellow coris Wrasse (eats pests?) (yellow) Good choice, other suggestion would be a foxface or a blenny like a midas
1 red stop light cardinal fish ( red) Good too, other suggestion is a flasher wrasse
1 green clown goby ( green) Good but may disappear in a big tank, suggestion melanarus wrasse if you don't go with the yellow wrasse
1 Royal Gramma ( purple) Good again but why not a black cap basslet? Very similar but more purple
1 mandarin goby If you can go captive bred otherwise wait a year and dose with pods. I love biota's captive bred fish.
1 blue fish small and peaceful (maybe sapphire damsel?) ( blue) Blue and peaceful don't mix often apparently. Damsels are aggressive and you already have clowns. So angelfish like the reef safe bellus, if you go with biota a cleaner wrasse, and the very similar neon blue goby is also good. Also there is a blue dart fish and a blue accessor basslet. But what about a blue mandarin for blue?
1 blue eye bristletooth tang (eats algae) If you don't want aggression get a foxface instead otherwise last fish to add

the kids want a school of pajama cardinal fish but i feel like that would be way too much? Could work but they're not very active fish

clean up crew
1 star fish (Tiger striped brittle or serpant star?) do i want more then 1 with this size tank? You can but add one at a time
1 tuxedo urchin? Best rock scrubber but also can pull corals off the rock and kidnap snails (also stops corralling algae which some people love)
a variety of snails ( turbo, cowrie, trochus, cerith, nassarius) preferably self righting trochus and nassarius self right I also go with the big mexican turbos as they rarely fall over for me
maybe hermit crabs too not happy that the hermit crabs killed all the snails i bought for the last tank That is always a 50/50

we're going to add a couple of anemone after 6 months i heard if you have different types of anemone more the clowns are more likely to get along but i'm not sure what types other then bubble tips i can have. Don't know, hopefully someone else can answer? Would anemone that live on sand be bothered by my sand sifters? Not really, they move enough to clear themselves of sand

corals we're looking at getting include : i'm looking for color and movement plan on having softy and lps
zoanthids
branching hammer coral
maybe bubble coral
maybe duncan
maybe candy cane
All sounds good to me though Xenia can spread even when on an island. I'm yet to do a GSP back but I want to someday! With the zoos and hammer you could do a garden of different colors. I'd consider elegance coral, goniopora (very difficult but very pretty and move-y, and rock flower anemones (don't host clowns but are by far the easiest and most colorful).

leahkammeraad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you're starting a fun project. For the most part everything looks great but here are my thoughts:

The 5 clownfish (2from 10 gal and 3 from 38 gal) (orange) (if they have problems i will rehome fish) Add at the same time
1 pink spot watchman goby and pistol pair) ( pink) Good choice, other suggestions are a pink-streaked wrasse or anthias though anthias are more difficult
1 yellow coris Wrasse (eats pests?) (yellow) Good choice, other suggestion would be a foxface or a blenny like a midas
1 red stop light cardinal fish ( red) Good too, other suggestion is a flasher wrasse
1 green clown goby ( green) Good but may disappear in a big tank, suggestion melanarus wrasse if you don't go with the yellow wrasse
1 Royal Gramma ( purple) Good again but why not a black cap basslet? Very similar but more purple
1 mandarin goby If you can go captive bred otherwise wait a year and dose with pods. I love biota's captive bred fish.
1 blue fish small and peaceful (maybe sapphire damsel?) ( blue) Blue and peaceful don't mix often apparently. Damsels are aggressive and you already have clowns. So angelfish like the reef safe bellus, if you go with biota a cleaner wrasse, and the very similar neon blue goby is also good. Also there is a blue dart fish and a blue accessor basslet. But what about a blue mandarin for blue?
1 blue eye bristletooth tang (eats algae) If you don't want aggression get a foxface instead otherwise last fish to add

the kids want a school of pajama cardinal fish but i feel like that would be way too much? Could work but they're not very active fish

clean up crew
1 star fish (Tiger striped brittle or serpant star?) do i want more then 1 with this size tank? You can but add one at a time
1 tuxedo urchin? Best rock scrubber but also can pull corals off the rock and kidnap snails (also stops corralling algae which some people love)
a variety of snails ( turbo, cowrie, trochus, cerith, nassarius) preferably self righting trochus and nassarius self right I also go with the big mexican turbos as they rarely fall over for me
maybe hermit crabs too not happy that the hermit crabs killed all the snails i bought for the last tank That is always a 50/50

we're going to add a couple of anemone after 6 months i heard if you have different types of anemone more the clowns are more likely to get along but i'm not sure what types other then bubble tips i can have. Don't know, hopefully someone else can answer? Would anemone that live on sand be bothered by my sand sifters? Not really, they move enough to clear themselves of sand

zoanthids
branching hammer coral
maybe bubble coral
maybe duncan
maybe candy cane
All sounds good to me though Xenia can spread even when on an island. I'm yet to do a GSP back but I want to someday! With the zoos and hammer you could do a garden of different colors. I'd consider elegance coral, goniopora (very difficult but very pretty and move-y, and rock flower anemones (don't host clowns but are by far the easiest and most colorful).
Thanks for your input kids and I will look up the fish you mentioned

clean up crew

zoanthids
branching hammer coral
maybe bubble coral
maybe duncan
maybe candy cane
thanks for your suggestions kids and i will look up the fish you mentioned

bcarrasqui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I am new to the hobby and just bought a 75g tank. I was hoping to get some advice on some cool looking reef safe fish. I wanted a couple clowns for sure and maybe some tangs, but not sure which ones are reef safe. Thanks!
For your size tank, a Kole or blue eyed tang would be great. They're very active and always grazing which I enjoy watching

bcarrasqui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I am new to the hobby and just bought a 75g tank. I was hoping to get some advice on some cool looking reef safe fish. I wanted a couple clowns for sure and maybe some tangs, but not sure which ones are reef safe. Thanks!
For your size tank, a Kole or blue eyed tang would be great. They're very active and always grazing which I enjoy watching

NMU1963

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Clowns are great but some can be territorial. I’ve head a tomato clown in my 180 for 6 years and when I add new fish regardless of the species he can get aggressive. It does pass after a few days. Yellow tangs are great but hard to find and very expensive. Powder blues and purple tangs beautiful

chandavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve a 2 year old 32.5 gal currently with female black onyx clown, hawkfish and common goby. The clown recently killed the smaller common orange clown. They had been together for the full 2 years. I’ve 2 bengai cardinals in a separate 20 gallon nano. I’d like to move the cardinals over to the 32.5.
Would this work? Death sentence for the cardinals?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thx

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve a 2 year old 32.5 gal currently with female black onyx clown, hawkfish and common goby. The clown recently killed the smaller common orange clown. They had been together for the full 2 years. I’ve 2 bengai cardinals in a separate 20 gallon nano. I’d like to move the cardinals over to the 32.5.
Would this work? Death sentence for the cardinals?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thx
Knowing you have an aggressive clown already, it’s highly likely that the Cardinals will have a death sentence in that tank. If they aren’t killed due to the clown then if you have two of the same sex, they’ll likely fight eachother to the death anyway.

chandavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing you have an aggressive clown already, it’s highly likely that the Cardinals will have a death sentence in that tank. If they aren’t killed due to the clown then if you have two of the same sex, they’ll likely fight eachother to the death anyway.
Thanks for the advice. The cardinals will remain.

greyhame

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! I have a halichoeres nigrescens (bubblefin wrasse) in my QT, however have read that it can eat inverts.

Anyone have any experience with this and can advise whether it’s reef safe? (It’s not going in the main tank otherwise). Cheers!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not totally sure on that species. Halichoeres will eat small inverts. It is why they are great pest controllers but what they eat depends a lot on their size. I believe yours is one of the smaller species which means it is probably good.

"A very large genus with a wide variety of species (over 75). Only some of these species are commonly offered in the trade. Most of the ones which enter the trade fall into category 2 on the “reef safe” scale. Some however, fall into category 3 as they readily consume inverts, but typically these are the species which exceed 7” in length as adults. Those in category 2 usually do not pose a significant risk to inverts if they are feed properly. I do not hesitate to keep some wrasses of this genus in my personal reef. This genus readily accepts prepared foods and will also spend most of the day searching for food amongst the rock work and sand bed in a tank. They will consume pods and various pests. A sand bed is a requirement for this genus, as they will bury at night or when frightened."

Manc57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for final a fish (or two) to add to my +/- 60 gallon display tank. Dimensions 39" x 22" x 19.5". Currently housing small mocha clown, small hectors goby, small neon damsel, small yellow "coris" wrasse and smallish striped fang blenny. Looking to add a pop of color, but want to maintain peaceful community and keep bio load on light side. Was thinking about a dottyback or another goby / blenny that would get along with current stocking. Any thoughts / suggestions appreciated.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for final a fish (or two) to add to my +/- 60 gallon display tank. Dimensions 39" x 22" x 19.5". Currently housing small mocha clown, small hectors goby, small neon damsel, small yellow "coris" wrasse and smallish striped fang blenny. Looking to add a pop of color, but want to maintain peaceful community and keep bio load on light side. Was thinking about a dottyback or another goby / blenny that would get along with current stocking. Any thoughts / suggestions appreciated.

Blenny would not work with another blenny. I always recommend a basslet over a dottyback due to the aggression of dottybacks.
As for gobies with color the best would be a firefish but they are cowards. So I'd suggest a goby from the genus Stonogobiops. They are all pretty and would fill a niche I don't think you have filled yet at the bottom of the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back