Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

bguzio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
I have a blue throat trigger which is about 3.5 inches long in my 150 DT. I want to put a juvenile emperor which has been in my quarantine tank for about a month now and is about 3 inches long in the display tank. However, I'm not sure the blue throat trigger will like that as he is a bully when it comes time to feed. My thought was to keep the emperor in the QT longer as I feed him heavily and he eats everything with no competition until he eventually gets bigger. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

leahkammeraad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add him to your dt in a breeder box so the tang can get used to him without hurting him
* i don't have experience but found this tip while reassuring fish for my new tank

jasina1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! :cool:
I always pic out a fish that won’t work reefs. Should I just go buy a million individual tanks. NOT. Lol

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flipping the tables; now I need help deciding.

Considering a couple of additions to my 6' FOWLR. Current stock:
  • Melanarus
  • Coris Gaimard juvenile
  • Falco Hawk
  • Large Magnificent Foxface
  • Maroon Clown
  • Engineer gobies
  • 3 small eels
Current contenders:
  • CB Pomacanthus navarchus, Blue girdled angel
  • CB Harlequin Tusk (juvenile)
  • Harlequin Tusk (adult)
  • Pearl Scale Butterfly (I do have Aiptasia)
  • Flame Angel
  • Exquisite Fairy Wrasse, Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
  • Yellowtail Tamarin wrasse, Anampses meleagrides
  • Pair of tilefish
Any strong opinions on the above fish? I'm concerned the captive bred and tilefish may be too small and timid. I'm thinking of getting a couple soon to help my fox feel happier and then maybe another one or two later.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flipping the tables; now I need help deciding.

Considering a couple of additions to my 6' FOWLR. Current stock:
  • Melanarus
  • Coris Gaimard juvenile
  • Falco Hawk
  • Large Magnificent Foxface
  • Maroon Clown
  • Engineer gobies
  • 3 small eels
Current contenders:
  • CB Pomacanthus navarchus, Blue girdled angel
  • CB Harlequin Tusk (juvenile)
  • Harlequin Tusk (adult)
  • Pearl Scale Butterfly (I do have Aiptasia)
  • Flame Angel
  • Exquisite Fairy Wrasse, Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
  • Yellowtail Tamarin wrasse, Anampses meleagrides
  • Pair of tilefish
Any strong opinions on the above fish? I'm concerned the captive bred and tilefish may be too small and timid. I'm thinking of getting a couple soon to help my fox feel happier and then maybe another one or two later.
I wouldn’t do the tilefish or the smaller wrasses in that tank however the others should be alright.

I assume all your eels go for the inverts. In which case the CB angels may not be too big of an issue. Your fish all seem rather high on the aggression board though so a butterfly would need to be introduced extremely carefully.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do the tilefish or the smaller wrasses in that tank however the others should be alright.

I assume all your eels go for the inverts. In which case the CB angels may not be too big of an issue. Your fish all seem rather high on the aggression board though so a butterfly would need to be introduced extremely carefully.
I'm thinking the butterfly would be big enough and won't be bothered by anything. The maroon sits in a back corner, the hawk just bullies tiny fish, and the others haven't shown any aggression. Are they very shy?

Honestly can't decide I ordered the navarchus just now just to find they'd just gone out of stock. I've crossed the harlequins off and added genicanthus melanospilos. Otherwise as unsure as ever.

Katieh01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! :cool:
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, but I believe this is my first post. I have a 90g reef that currently only has a diamond watchman goby, a pistol shrimp, a lemon peel angel, and a potter’s angel. Yes, they get along. I got lucky and have since realized that wasn’t the best advice I could have gotten. I’d like to add some firefish and eventually a pair of mandarins, but was wondering what else that’s fairly small and eye catching you might recommend. The clown was hosting my hammers so has been moved to refugium section of the sump.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, but I believe this is my first post. I have a 90g reef that currently only has a diamond watchman goby, a pistol shrimp, a lemon peel angel, and a potter’s angel. Yes, they get along. I got lucky and have since realized that wasn’t the best advice I could have gotten. I’d like to add some firefish and eventually a pair of mandarins, but was wondering what else that’s fairly small and eye catching you might recommend. The clown was hosting my hammers so has been moved to refugium section of the sump.
I really like Stonogobiops gobies. They are all very pretty.
Also wrasse:
Look into flasher, fairy, halichoeres, and possum wrasse if you want something easy. Leopard wrasse and anampses wrasse are more difficult at first. but just as good once established.
This thread will give you wrasse help and inspiration for wrasses:

Last edited:

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked about this stock list before but wanted to double check as I have been having some thoughts. Tank is a 65 gallon Tideline AIO. 48”x20” stock list includes.

Tomini tang
Melanarus wrasse
Leopard wrasse
Yellow coris wrasse
Exquisite Fairy wrasse
Clown pair
Cherub angel or flame angel
YWG/pistol shrimp

this list look okay for this tank? What would be the order you would place them in the tank?
Thanks!!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked about this stock list before but wanted to double check as I have been having some thoughts. Tank is a 65 gallon Tideline AIO. 48”x20” stock list includes.

Tomini tang
Melanarus wrasse
Leopard wrasse
Yellow coris wrasse
Exquisite Fairy wrasse
Clown pair
Cherub angel or flame angel
YWG/pistol shrimp

this list look okay for this tank? What would be the order you would place them in the tank?
Thanks!!
I'd choose one of the melanarus and yellow wrasse. Since they're closely related they might not get along. I'd consider a gramma or blenny instead.

For order leave the tang and angel till last. The goby early and probably the melanarus or yellow after the other wrasse.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd choose one of the melanarus and yellow wrasse. Since they're closely related they might not get along. I'd consider a gramma or blenny instead.

For order leave the tang and angel till last. The goby early and probably the melanarus or yellow after the other wrasse.
Would a Midas blend be a good sub for the yellow wrasse?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tomini tang - Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Melanarus wrasse - Halichoeres melanurus
Leopard wrasse - Macropharyngodon sp.
Yellow coris wrasse - Halichoeres chrysus
Exquisite Fairy wrasse - Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
Clown pair - Amphiprion sp.
Cherub angel or flame angel - Centropyge argi or loricula
YWG/pistol shrimp - Cryptocentrus cinctus

Thanks!!
The wrasses look fine to me, the melanurus and chrysus aren’t as closely related as some say they are - Vroliki, Melanurus and Chrysotaenia are all closely related species. The Chrysus and Melanurus are both loosely related species.
I would personally do it in this order;
1. Halichoeres chrysus for the early pest eradication.
2. Cirrhilabrus exquisitus for the colouring, I would personally aim for a Vanuatu variant as they are in my opinion the nicest in looks.
3. Amphiprion sp. These can go in early as well however I put them up here as it gives you time to find the perfect species and not just go straight onto an occelaris. I would look into Amphiprion omanensis.
4. Cryptocentrus cinctus & Alpheus sp. These can again, go in early however you may change your mind on what shrimp goby you want so this also gives you time to really consider it.
5. Macropharyngodon sp. This comes down later on the line as they need enough microfauna to hunt if they’re not already feeding. I would start out with either a Macropharyngodon bipartitus or Macropharyngodon negrosensis.
6. Centropyge loricula or Centropyge argi are high up on the list due to you being unsure about which one but also both can be nasty when they want. I would’ve personally gone for a Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus or a Genicanthus caudovittatus as these are both nice but also aren’t overly large for a medium angelfish.
7. Halichoeres melanurus, now this is further up the list than the others as they are known for being pretty bad with other wrasses. This gives you time to introduce all the wrasses you may want before the aggressor.
8. Ctenochaetus tominiensis, this is up the list again and that’s due to it limiting any risk of aggressive tendencies to newcomers.

I would personally add a few more Cirrhilabrus species to the list. for example, a Cirrhilabrus lubbocki to complement the colours on the exquisite. I would also like to mention a Halichoeres iridis. This is a wrasse I think everyone should own as once past the shopping stage, they’re easier than clownfish IME.

Now, I have adjusted your list to show the scientific names so you can know what I’m on about with which number however most of them are the same as their common name.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasses look fine to me, the melanurus and chrysus aren’t as closely related as some say they are - Vroliki, Melanurus and Chrysotaenia are all closely related species. The Chrysus and Melanurus are both loosely related species.
2. Cirrhilabrus exquisitus for the colouring, I would personally aim for a Vanuatu variant as they are in my opinion the nicest in looks.
3. Amphiprion sp. These can go in early as well however I put them up here as it gives you time to find the perfect species and not just go straight onto an occelaris. I would look into Amphiprion omanensis.
4. Cryptocentrus cinctus & Alpheus sp. These can again, go in early however you may change your mind on what shrimp goby you want so this also gives you time to really consider it.
5. Macropharyngodon sp. This comes down later on the line as they need enough microfauna to hunt if they’re not already feeding. I would start out with either a Macropharyngodon bipartitus or Macropharyngodon negrosensis.
6. Centropyge loricula or Centropyge argi are high up on the list due to you being unsure about which one but also both can be nasty when they want. I would’ve personally gone for a Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus or a Genicanthus caudovittatus as these are both nice but also aren’t overly large for a medium angelfish.
7. Halichoeres melanurus, now this is further up the list than the others as they are known for being pretty bad with other wrasses. This gives you time to introduce all the wrasses you may want before the aggressor.
8. Ctenochaetus tominiensis, this is up the list again and that’s due to it limiting any risk of aggressive tendencies to newcomers.

I would personally add a few more Cirrhilabrus species to the list. for example, a Cirrhilabrus lubbocki to complement the colours on the exquisite. I would also like to mention a Halichoeres iridis. This is a wrasse I think everyone should own as once past the shopping stage, they’re easier than clownfish IME.

Now, I have adjusted your list to show the scientific names so you can know what I’m on about with which number however most of them are the same as their common name.
You certainly know your stuff! Learn something new from you every time.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you so much for the time and effort with this post! I truly appreciate it!!

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to set up our new tank (currently have a little 32.5g AIO, the new tank will be around 300 litres (inc sump)

aquascape is to benefit the habitat over corals but will add some corals later next year - no hurry on that

we currently have the following

2x clowns
Leopard wrasse
Midas blenny
Royal gramma
Yellow watchman (with a pistol shrimp but they hate each other, in fact the shrimp hates everything the snappy little *******)

would like to add a few more fish when the new tank is sorted and settled, an algae eating fish would be ideal but I know I’m very limited to what tang if any in our 100cm x 50cm x 50cm tank, all the fish currently are perfectly harmonious right now and that’s something we’re wanting to keep that way.

Any ideas for an algae grazer and other little swimmers in the tank?

thanks

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows this:

50x31x23 150g

1x Yellow Tang
1x Gem Tang
1x White Tail Bristletooth Tang
1x Convict Tang
2x Ocellaris clownfish
2x Banggai cardinalfish
2x Green Chromis
5x Lyretail Anthias
1x Royal Gramma
1x Midas Blenny
1x Helfrichi Firefish

20221211_092940.jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to set up our new tank (currently have a little 32.5g AIO, the new tank will be around 300 litres (inc sump)

aquascape is to benefit the habitat over corals but will add some corals later next year - no hurry on that

we currently have the following

2x clowns
Leopard wrasse
Midas blenny
Royal gramma
Yellow watchman (with a pistol shrimp but they hate each other, in fact the shrimp hates everything the snappy little *******)

would like to add a few more fish when the new tank is sorted and settled, an algae eating fish would be ideal but I know I’m very limited to what tang if any in our 100cm x 50cm x 50cm tank, all the fish currently are perfectly harmonious right now and that’s something we’re wanting to keep that way.

Any ideas for an algae grazer and other little swimmers in the tank?

thanks
With that size you are really limited. The closest would be a one-spot foxface; they are the smallest of the rabbitfish and much more peaceful. As for other fish look into possum(wetmorella) wrasse and the pink streaked or cryptic wrasse. Also Firesfish are a good colorful fish.

I also suggest you get copepods for the leopard wrasse for the new tank they're ones that benefit from a natural diet to browse on and in a new tank you'll want to seed that.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R, I have a 40 gallon tank with a 29 gallon sump that has been set running for 11 months. Considering the size of the tank, I have a ton of rockwork, caves, and hiding places.

I currently have
2x black ice clownfish captive bred
2x peppermint shrimp
2x serpent stars
2x emerald green mithrax crabs
1x pencil urchin
Various CUC snails and hermits

Currently going through humblefish's quarantine process are
1x yasha shrimp goby captive bred
1x neon goby captive bred
1x foxface

In addition, I would like to add
1x royal Gramma captive bred
1x harptail blenny captive bred
1x pistol shrimp

I believe all of the fish listed here should be just fine together. My concern is with the neon goby and pistol shrimp. I recently read somewhere that the small neon goby may be susceptible to ambush attacks from the pistol shrimp. What does everyone here think?

Edit to add that I plan on upgrading to a 125 in about 18 months. Hopefully the foxface has not outgrown this setup before then.

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that size you are really limited. The closest would be a one-spot foxface; they are the smallest of the rabbitfish and much more peaceful. As for other fish look into possum(wetmorella) wrasse and the pink streaked or cryptic wrasse. Also Firesfish are a good colorful fish.

I also suggest you get copepods for the leopard wrasse for the new tank they're ones that benefit from a natural diet to browse on and in a new tank you'll want to seed that.
Thanks, just googled a one spot and what I saw said they can get to 8” ‍♂️ I reckon that’s too big for an 80 gallon system don’t you think?

As for copepods we regularly add those and will continue to do so until I put a fuge in to cultivate them properly

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back