Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice if this will work out in the end. Tank is 4ft long 23 inches wide and 16 inches tall with a 73gallon display and 30g sump. Currently have a one spot foxface, pair of clowns, royal gramma, and pin tail fairy wrasse. I want to add the following in this order:
1. Mccoskers flasher wrasse and blue flasher wrasse (at the same time)
2. Flame hawk fish
3. Melanurus wrasse and yellow coris wrasse (same time)
4. White tail bristletooth tang
I’m wondering if this is too many fish for my tank? I’m ok doing water changes every week and keeping up on maintenance. Also for the flame hawk and melanurus wrasse and yellow coris wrasse not sure which of these three to add first, the melanurus and yellow coris then the flame hawk or the other way around.
thanks in advance!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice if this will work out in the end. Tank is 4ft long 23 inches wide and 16 inches tall with a 73gallon display and 30g sump. Currently have a one spot foxface, pair of clowns, royal gramma, and pin tail fairy wrasse. I want to add the following in this order:
1. Mccoskers flasher wrasse and blue flasher wrasse (at the same time)
2. Flame hawk fish
3. Melanurus wrasse and yellow coris wrasse (same time)
4. White tail bristletooth tang
I’m wondering if this is too many fish for my tank? I’m ok doing water changes every week and keeping up on maintenance. Also for the flame hawk and melanurus wrasse and yellow coris wrasse not sure which of these three to add first, the melanurus and yellow coris then the flame hawk or the other way around.
thanks in advance!
I can see it working. Not overstocked I think you can cap it at that or add a little shrimp goby to the mix.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is some really good information and thank you. Yellow corris wrasse was in my original list and removed it once I decided I'll get a Mandarin pair instead of just 1. Can the Mandarins keep Pod population in check or are there other pests that the Mandarins will not eat? Another info I missed to add was, both Mandarins will be captive bred. So I am assuming they will eat processed food and not just organic stuff.
The Mandarins will help the pods stay in check yes, but they can deplete it rather quickly. Many invertebrates will eat pods same as other fish. Idk if Mandarins actually eat pests. I’ve never heard of them doing that. Since they are CB then it will help them with their eating and diet as they won’t be as strict on the pods as wild caught ones are. You can feed them the same you feed your other fish. They‘ll be happy to dine on the usual. I wouldn’t personally feed them pellets, but that is something you can do. Make sure they are in tiny pieces.m

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mandarins will help the pods stay in check yes, but they can deplete it rather quickly. Many invertebrates will eat pods same as other fish. Idk if Mandarins actually eat pests. I’ve never heard of them doing that. Since they are CB then it will help them with their eating and diet as they won’t be as strict on the pods as wild caught ones are. You can feed them the same you feed your other fish. They‘ll be happy to dine on the usual. I wouldn’t personally feed them pellets, but that is something you can do. Make sure they are in tiny pieces.m

I will try my best to have a lot of pods by that time and if not maybe train them to eat frozen food as they are CB.

One last question. I am planning to pair my Yellow Watchman goby with a pistol shrimp. Does it require a specific pistol shrimp or can I get a Tiger pistol shrimp? Tiger is the only one available at this place I am trying to buy from and will it be compatible with other inverts and this fish list I have?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try my best to have a lot of pods by that time and if not maybe train them to eat frozen food as they are CB.

One last question. I am planning to pair my Yellow Watchman goby with a pistol shrimp. Does it require a specific pistol shrimp or can I get a Tiger pistol shrimp? Tiger is the only one available at this place I am trying to buy from and will it be compatible with other inverts and this fish list I have?
YWG are a goby that will pair with most species of pistol. I personally don't see any cons to pistol shrimp. They do some excavating and make some weird sounds but nothing else.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t require one species specifically but sometimes they like to be around some specific ones. But a Tiger should be ok. YWG I find are the least picky in taste for shrimp than let’s say a Dracula or a Yasha. It should be compatible with everything else. The Goby and Pistol Shrimp will always be in their little hole. The goby will poke his head out and sometimes swim for food. Make sure your rocks are stable as the shrimp likes to make burrows in the most imaginable places and could disrupt rock work. Something you could do is encourage it to go to a certain place you want it to burrow. I’m happy I could help.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing adding a third flasher wrasse would be too much? Goby’s don’t intrest me too much
Maybe. This all depends on your filtration, bio load capaciy, and territory. If your filtration is handling it, the bio load isn’t too bad, there isn’t much squabbling between the fish, there are enough hiding spots, and your nutrient and phosphate levels are low, then adding a third fairy or flasher shouldn’t be a problem. Might I suggest a johnsoni or a rhomboidalis?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a royal gramma, sapphire damsel and a clownfish. I would like to add one or more blue green chromis and one other type of fish. My tank is a bare bottom, 40 breeder and the fish need to be able to eat pellet/flake food when I go on vacation. Would it be a mistake to get more than one blue green chromis? I have heard they kill each other off over time. True? Can you recommend another fish?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a royal gramma, sapphire damsel and a clownfish. I would like to add one or more blue green chromis and one other type of fish. My tank is a bare bottom, 40 breeder and the fish need to be able to eat pellet/flake food when I go on vacation. Would it be a mistake to get more than one blue green chromis? I have heard they kill each other off over time. True? Can you recommend another fish?

To my understanding, they will kill one another. Specimens in the wild are found in groups of hundreds in thickets of acropora, so that the aggression is dispersed. They also frequently carry uronema, so either buy quarantined or be prepared to treat them. I'd stick to one because of this if you are going to keep them. To get that shoaling behavior that everyone wants, I'd instead suggest some Seale's cardinalfish. They are less aggressive, are healthier, and come captive bred.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. This all depends on your filtration, bio load capaciy, and territory. If your filtration is handling it, the bio load isn’t too bad, there isn’t much squabbling between the fish, there are enough hiding spots, and your nutrient and phosphate levels are low, then adding a third fairy or flasher shouldn’t be a problem. Might I suggest a johnsoni or a rhomboidalis?
Just looked at both those fish and wow are they ever nice looking fish. If I do get a third it will be one of those. Thank you for your help

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna make a post of my own here. I really like wrasses. The problem is that I just don't know how wrasses work. I like to think that I know about how other fish should be stocked, but wrasses evade me. They seem to be peaceful with other fish and some other wrasses most of the time, but it seems like each species has a few that they just don't get along with. I used the wrasse chart to try to find some fairy wrasses that will cohabitate, but I'm still not really sure if I made good choices. This is what I came up with.

1x Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus)
1x Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
1x Pintail Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles)
1x Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus flavianalus)
1x Blue Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus cyaneus)
1x Royal Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus angulatus)

Anyone know if this will work out? Along with this, there would also be 4-5 different fish. The tank is 36x20x22in/90x50x55cm and about 65 gallons/245 liters, if that helps. Thanks!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna make a post of my own here. I really like wrasses. The problem is that I just don't know how wrasses work. I like to think that I know about how other fish should be stocked, but wrasses evade me. They seem to be peaceful with other fish and some other wrasses most of the time, but it seems like each species has a few that they just don't get along with. I used the wrasse chart to try to find some fairy wrasses that will cohabitate, but I'm still not really sure if I made good choices. This is what I came up with.

Anyone know if this will work out? Along with this, there would also be 4-5 different fish. The tank is 36x20x22in/90x50x55cm and about 65 gallons/245 liters, if that helps. Thanks!

@i cant think This is a job for you I think I can’t think.

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do suggest this article in the mean time. It's taught me a lot.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@i cant think This is a job for you I think I can’t think
Well I’m certainly not @i cant think but ‘i think’ I can help here lol.

Cirrhilabrus exquisitus. A really good wrasse. They can be a little timid so make sure to add that one earlier on than the others. You will generally see them out and about swimming at the surface and throughout the middle of the tank and they aren’t the most secretive of the fairy wrasse species.

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki. This is one of @i cant think ’s favorite wrasses and he has 2 of them. There are two main types the Cebu and the Indonesian. Indonesian looks better IMO. These will be out and about the tank but they can be picked on by other wrasse so watch for aggression.

Cirrhilabrus isosceles. A beautiful common wrasse and much more affordable than others. These are very skittish at first, so ensuring they are one of the very first fish added is key. They are also very docile so watch for aggression from others. These do not fare well

Paracheilinus cyaneus. These can be aggressive and be boisterous towards other wrasses. I would not recommend housing this with the isosceles or other small flashers and fairies as they will become bullied. I would wait to get a bigger tank to keep this guy with other wrasse. Excellent choice in fish though.

Paracheilinus flavianalus and angulatus. These are a wonderful center piece fish and look amazing when flashing. They will be out and about mostly and sometimes you can see them checking out other fish. These guys tend to be the boss of a wrasse tank but they can also be very docile. This tends to be more towards the angulatus. If you like these you can check out the attenuatus. Watch for aggression but I do suggest keeping both of these so they flash at each other and others and show their true colors more often.

This is what I would do:

Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Paracheilinus flavianalus
Paracheilinus angulatus

Now I don’t know the other fish you have in the tank. This is a list just from what I know from your post. If there aren’t many other fish you could add an isosceles. I hope this has helped.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m certainly not @i cant think but ‘i think’ I can help here lol.

Cirrhilabrus exquisitus. A really good wrasse. They can be a little timid so make sure to add that one earlier on than the others. You will generally see them out and about swimming at the surface and throughout the middle of the tank and they aren’t the most secretive of the fairy wrasse species.

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki. This is one of @i cant think ’s favorite wrasses and he has 2 of them. There are two main types the Cebu and the Indonesian. Indonesian looks better IMO. These will be out and about the tank but they can be picked on by other wrasse so watch for aggression.

Cirrhilabrus isosceles. A beautiful common wrasse and much more affordable than others. These are very skittish at first, so ensuring they are one of the very first fish added is key. They are also very docile so watch for aggression from others. These do not fare well

Paracheilinus cyaneus. These can be aggressive and be boisterous towards other wrasses. I would not recommend housing this with the isosceles or other small flashers and fairies as they will become bullied. I would wait to get a bigger tank to keep this guy with other wrasse. Excellent choice in fish though.

Paracheilinus flavianalus and angulatus. These are a wonderful center piece fish and look amazing when flashing. They will be out and about mostly and sometimes you can see them checking out other fish. These guys tend to be the boss of a wrasse tank but they can also be very docile. This tends to be more towards the angulatus. If you like these you can check out the attenuatus. Watch for aggression but I do suggest keeping both of these so they flash at each other and others and show their true colors more often.

This is what I would do:

Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Paracheilinus flavianalus
Paracheilinus angulatus

Now I don’t know the other fish you have in the tank. This is a list just from what I know from your post. If there aren’t many other fish you could add an isosceles. I hope this has helped.

Thank you very much! This is super helpful. Would a linespot flasher (P. lineopunctatus) be more peaceful than the blue flasher? I really like the display colors that these two species have, and I'd love to have either in the tank. Also, could I replace the C. isosceles with a C. solarensis or a C. cyanopleura? My reading suggests that these species are a little on the mean side, but they might be my favorite fairy wrasses. As far as other fish go, nothing too disruptive. Probably just a pair of clownfish, a gramma, and something else (maybe a single chromis or Midas blenny). Thanks!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much! This is super helpful. Would a linespot flasher (P. lineopunctatus) be more peaceful than the blue flasher? I really like the display colors that these two species have, and I'd love to have either in the tank. Also, could I replace the C. isosceles with a C. solarensis or a C. cyanopleura? My reading suggests that these species are a little on the mean side, but they might be my favorite fairy wrasses. As far as other fish go, nothing too disruptive. Probably just a pair of clownfish, a gramma, and something else (maybe a single chromis or Midas blenny). Thanks!
Clown fish and gramma work well. Chromis aren’t my favorite as they lose color and require regular feedings imo. A Midas blenny is great but will spend a lot of time in the same area of the tank, the top half, as the fairies. Not a problem just not something everyone realizes.
My suggestion would be a lower tank fish. A small halichoeres like chrysus or iridis or if you can find a healthy one, a leopard wrasse. If not a wrasse a goby like a firefish and I love my Koumansetta rainfordi. They both swim at the bottom of the tank rather than sit on the bottom like many gobies.
Koumansetta rainfordi:

Attachments

• IMG_5350.mov
    49.9 MB
Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lineopunctatus would a good addition. Careful with fin nipping as you don’t want others nipping on their filaments.

Now solarnesis can be a bit of a bully sometimes but I think you could add one so long as there isn‘t much squabble. This is the same for cyanopleura but they can sometimes be more docile. These are super personable and can eat out of your hand more commonly than other fish. I’d choose between the solarensis and the cyanopleura. Though if you like the cyanopleura you can look at the aurantidorsalis since they add more color. With a pair of clowns and royal gramma and blenny should work out.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 foot 120. Current stocking list:
-Tomini tang
-Ocellaris pair
-pajama cardinal
-talbots damsel
-midas blenny
-lawnmower blenny
-cherub angel
-yellow watchman goby
-royal gramma
-green clown goby

Inverts:
-fire shrimp
-cleaner shrimp
-tiger pistol shrimp
-emerald crabs
-various urchins
-various snails and hermits

To add:
-geometric pygmy hawkfish
-biota mandarin

My question is about final addition. For the final addition I'm considering either a trio of lyretails for the commensal relationship with the midas blenny or a scopas tang. Would either work? Could I do both?

Thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In a 3’ tank I wouldn’t do any flasher or large fairy such as the Cyanopleura and true Solorensis. So with this in mind here’s the wrasses that are left;

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, the Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse, as @Slocke said this is in fact my favourite fairy wrasse. The reason for this is the colouration both variants get - neither are left looking drab. I would definitely grab this species, I agree with the Indonesian looking nicer however as I said both are beautiful fish. Here’s the differences between the two (LFS’s tend to sell the Cebu variant as a female, don’t fall into that trap). In terms of aggression and size, the Cebu is larger and I would personally aim to keep it in a 4’x2’ tank however this one is slightly less aggressive. The Cebu gets to 3-3.5 inches whilst the Indonesian remains at 2-2.5 inches.
Indonesian;
81C2EDB4-B6E5-444C-82AD-AB819043B267.jpeg

Cebu;
EB9C7573-44DF-4EA2-9527-A3064EF81482.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus isosceles, the Pintail Fairy Wrasse, is another beautiful wrasse. I find the pinkish orange body of the mature male Isosceles complements the lubbocki’s deep purple body incredibly well. If you got a lubbocki then this would be number one on the list behind it personally (I never got an isosceles as I couldn’t introduce it early enough). The pintail fairy is a very delicate species when it comes to activity with other wrasses, if they’re added early on (1st or 3rd) they aren’t as secretive or hard to acclimate however when you begin to get more wrasses (5-6) they can be rather difficult to acclimate.

Cirrhilabrus exquisitus is another good choice. These guys can go in later as they aren’t overly sensitive to aggression, I would personally aim for a Vanuatu variant as these are the brightest in colour from the variants I’ve seen (African, Maldives, Vanuatu, ect). This also introduces a nice green which is one of the few colours I rarely see in fish in such a large quantity. For a short rundown of the variants and how you know what sea they’re from, look at the dorsal fin and if it’s edged in red then you have an Indian Ocean variant however if it’s not edged in red (yellow is often the other colour you see the fins edged in) then you have a Pacific Ocean variant. Below is a photo of all the differences - some are less subtle than others. This photo is taken from a reef builders article about the Exquisitus complex.
8F4901FA-22C2-4C35-A698-F7C0019FB3CB.jpeg

And last but not least, Cirrhilabrus flavianalis. This is the species that I wouldn’t do this is because they are known for their bad behaviour with other wrasses. I would personally replace this one with a different species of Fairy Wrasse (or if you have a sandbed, I’d grab a Halichoeres iridis or Halichoeres leucoxanthus).

Hope this helps and have a great Christmas :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back