Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nao
I have a redsea XL300 G2.
65 gallons, 36"L x 22"H x 22.6"W

Current stock:

-purple firefish
-royal gramma
-2 ocellaris clowns
-rbta
-trochus snail
-turbo snail
-Halloween hermit
-3 blue leg hermits
-skunk cleaner shrimp
-tiger pistol shrimp
-mixed corals

I have a flame hawkfish in another tank I have yet to add because I am the point where I want to add other fish and I'm not sure which would be added next or if they will even get along. Hence my post here. Unfortunately I know the chances are high the hawkfish will eat my cleaner.

I would like to add/open to suggestions:

-maybe 5 to 9 green chromis
-a type of small tang
-some type of wrasse
Naokos wrasse? Mimic or convict tang? TOo many chromis, bioload isuess

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current stock:

-purple firefish
-royal gramma
-2 ocellaris clowns
-rbta
-trochus snail
-turbo snail
-Halloween hermit
-3 blue leg hermits
-skunk cleaner shrimp
-tiger pistol shrimp
-mixed corals

I have a flame hawkfish in another tank I have yet to add because I am the point where I want to add other fish and I'm not sure which would be added next or if they will even get along. Hence my post here. Unfortunately I know the chances are high the hawkfish will eat my cleaner.

-a type of small tang
-some type of wrasse
Hawkfish are 50/50 sometimes they are perfect citizens sometimes they’re awful. I’d say your cleaner is probably safe but it might get your pistol or bully your firefish.

As for a tang you’ll have to get a small bristletooth and even that may be too big. For wrasse I suggest a pink streak or possum as larger wrasse want a long tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current stock:

-purple firefish
-royal gramma
-2 ocellaris clowns
-rbta
-trochus snail
-turbo snail
-Halloween hermit
-3 blue leg hermits
-skunk cleaner shrimp
-tiger pistol shrimp
-mixed corals

-a type of small tang
-some type of wrasse
A 36” tank is incredibly small for any tang, even bristletooth. The smallest is C. tominiensis and they may work but even then risk outgrowing the tank.
For a Wrasse I would go for a smaller Macropharyngodon species as they do best in a 3’ length. I would wait until you get a 4’+ tank before going for fairies or flashers as mine love using the length to display. You could potentially get away with a smaller Halichoeres species like leucoxanthus but again, it’s likely they will want a 4’ length long term.

I wouldn’t do 5-9 chromis in a 4’ tank and instead recommend you do a different schooling fish, I find low one digit numbers of Chromis tend to fail and they want low-mid double digits (15-20+) as a starting school.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75g is wrapping up its cycle, would it be too much to add 2 Banggai Cardinals and a pair of Oscellaris Clowns at the same time?
Its a bit of a risk on a new tank. If you can spread out fish do it. I like to test ammonia after adding new fish too just to make sure there is no issue. If you add too much too fast you may find you don't have enough bacteria to handle the ammonia and you poison your fish.
I'd add either the clowns or the cardinals. Wait a week or two. Add the second pair.

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a bit of a risk on a new tank. If you can spread out fish do it. I like to test ammonia after adding new fish too just to make sure there is no issue. If you add too much too fast you may find you don't have enough bacteria to handle the ammonia and you poison your fish.
I'd add either the clowns or the cardinals. Wait a week or two. Add the second pair.
Thanks

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading to a 80 gallon deep blue. 48x24x16

Current fish; 2 x clown fish, yellow sand sifting goby
Like to add;
Brunneus fairy, Blue flasher wrasse, splendid pintail, blue star leopard, exquisite or mcosckers flasher wrasse.

Would these work together?

Thanks!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading to a 80 gallon deep blue. 48x24x16

Current fish; 2 x clown fish, yellow sand sifting goby
Like to add;
Brunneus fairy, Blue flasher wrasse, splendid pintail, blue star leopard, exquisite or mcosckers flasher wrasse.

Would these work together?

Thanks!
For the most part yes. The only issue I see is the brunneus and pintail are very closely related. They are both peaceful but to be safe I’d get a less closely related 3rd fairy. Everything else should work great though!

I’d add the flashers first and if you haven’t had a leopard before know they are very poor shippers. Make sure it is eating and swallowing before purchase.

Alternate suggestions for either the brunneus or isosceles(splendid pintail)
  • Lubbocks
  • Rhomboidalis
  • Naokoe
  • Or a small halichoeres like a iridis or a timorensis

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part yes. The only issue I see is the brunneus and pintail are very closely related. They are both peaceful but to be safe I’d get a less closely related 3rd fairy. Everything else should work great though!

I’d add the flashers first and if you haven’t had a leopard before know they are very poor shippers. Make sure it is eating and swallowing before purchase.

Alternate suggestions for either the brunneus or isosceles(splendid pintail)
  • Lubbocks
  • Rhomboidalis
  • Naokoe
  • Or a small halichoeres like a iridis or a timorensis
A few years ago (edit-wow, it's been 7 years now) I had an 80 with several potters and leopard wrasse. If I could get them alive I was pretty successful with them. I already seeded the new 80 with pods and feeding phyto every day, haven't moved anything over yet. Also culturing pods to toss into quarantine. Moving into the fairies is new territory for me though!

I'd love a Rhomboidalis but their price points have been towards the high end of what I'd want to spend. The radiant wrasse is a great idea. Then I'd also have a bit of potential pest control if I need. Hm...

I also thought about a tang for algae control. I am a bit concerned about the size of the tank though.

Thanks for your response!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago (edit-wow, it's been 7 years now) I had an 80 with several potters and leopard wrasse. If I could get them alive I was pretty successful with them. I already seeded the new 80 with pods and feeding phyto every day, haven't moved anything over yet. Also culturing pods to toss into quarantine. Moving into the fairies is new territory for me though!

I'd love a Rhomboidalis but their price points have been towards the high end of what I'd want to spend. The radiant wrasse is a great idea. Then I'd also have a bit of potential pest control if I need. Hm...

I also thought about a tang for algae control. I am a bit concerned about the size of the tank though.

Thanks for your response!
You could probably get away with a one-spot fox or a bristletooth but I’ve never found them to be as effective as snails and urchins. Plus a tang may be too boisterous for the flashers.

Subliminal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallon FOWL with intent of moving to a larger tank in the next few years.

Current stock:
1x Panther Grouper

Wishlist:
1x Powder Brown Tang
1x Snowflake (or other) Eel
1x Niger Trigger
1x Huma Trigger

Concerned with my tang choice. This is my favorite fish in the entire ocean...and I've always wanted it, but never had enough room. I hear they are problematic with diseases...and he also would eat different food than the rest of the lot...but I'd like an opinion. Looking to get all fish small. The grouper is currently about 3.5 inches long (lil guy).

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallon FOWL with intent of moving to a larger tank in the next few years.

Current stock:
1x Panther Grouper

Wishlist:
1x Powder Brown Tang
1x Snowflake (or other) Eel
1x Niger Trigger
1x Huma Trigger

Concerned with my tang choice. This is my favorite fish in the entire ocean...and I've always wanted it, but never had enough room. I hear they are problematic with diseases...and he also would eat different food than the rest of the lot...but I'd like an opinion. Looking to get all fish small. The grouper is currently about 3.5 inches long (lil guy).
Yes. If I were you I’d source the tang from a store like Dr Reefs. As they will quarantine for you and you shouldn't have to worry about disease.
Also I worry with those big triggers. I'd definitely add them later then the tang and try and go on the smaller side to start off. This also applies for the eel as it is a small eel that may be attcaked by the triggers. I suggest getting a large snowflake or a bigger or tougher eel like a fimbriated, white eyed, or zebra.

Subliminal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. If I were you I’d source the tang from a store like Dr Reefs. As they will quarantine for you and you shouldn't have to worry about disease.
Also I worry with those big triggers. I'd definitely add them later then the tang and try and go on the smaller side to start off. This also applies for the eel as it is a small eel that may be attcaked by the triggers. I suggest getting a large snowflake or a bigger or tougher eel like a fimbriated, white eyed, or zebra.
Awesome, thank you!

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a 75 gallon with a Scissortail and a Midas Blenny.
Would any of these guys be an issue with them?
2x Oscellaris Clowns
Flasher Wrasse (x2?)
Mandarin
Scooter or Lawnmower Blenny
Tomini Tang or Kole Tang

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok big question here. Keep an eye out for the tang police. I was wondering. w/ a Waterbox Marine x 90.3. 60gal Display w/ 25gal sump.

Can I get a Yellow Tang or Tomini Tang?

Current Inhabitants:
1 Clownfish
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Diamond Goby
1 Royal Gramma
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Hectors Goby
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse

Inverts:
Red Serpent Star
Pincushion Urchin
Various snails

What is everyone's thoughts?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a 75 gallon with a Scissortail and a Midas Blenny.
Would any of these guys be an issue with them?
2x Oscellaris Clowns
Flasher Wrasse (x2?)
Mandarin
Scooter or Lawnmower Blenny
Tomini Tang or Kole Tang
Yes for the most part. However I would choose either the mandarin or the scooter blenny (and make sure you have enough pods)
I’d get two different species of flasher wrasse
Then the tang may scare the scissortail

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok big question here. Keep an eye out for the tang police. I was wondering. w/ a Waterbox Marine x 90.3. 60gal Display w/ 25gal sump.

Can I get a Yellow Tang or Tomini Tang?

Current Inhabitants:
1 Clownfish
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Diamond Goby
1 Royal Gramma
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Hectors Goby
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse

Inverts:
Red Serpent Star
Pincushion Urchin
Various snails

What is everyone's thoughts?
You could probably get away with a small tomini for a couple years but I’d have a backup plan.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back