Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I read a bit about that after my post. Sounds like they're OK in pairs though...

Now you've got me thinking about a 'school'. I've always wanted to try chromis, but it sounds like it almost always ends badly

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I read a bit about that after my post. Sounds like they're OK in pairs though...

Now you've got me thinking about a 'school'. I've always wanted to try chromis, but it sounds like it almost always ends badly

Personally, I haven't had an issue with keeping chromis in groups, but others have. They are pretty dumb, so if you want to get them out they will often swim right into a net or dip cup expecting food.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a group of 5 but they bullied one to death and then the other 4 were fine and have been getting along for over a year now.

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just bought a new toy, Neptune AFS, so now it's back to the Anthias haha

Feed 3x per day is enough? Same amount each time? Pellets OK? Will they pick them off the surface? Is this too many questions? If it was, would you tell me?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just bought a new toy, Neptune AFS, so now it's back to the Anthias haha

Feed 3x per day is enough? Same amount each time? Pellets OK? Will they pick them off the surface? Is this too many questions? If it was, would you tell me?

3x a day should be ok. The hardier anthias will take pellets but may need to be trained to take them. Get a sinking pellet, some may take them from the surface but some may not. Eheim and ocean nutrition mwke feeding stations so the pellets don't go straight to the overflow.

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really liking this thing. Got it set for 4x per day, it only drops about 20 little pellets at a time and I can just do multiple rotations at each feeding if I want to increase the amount. Looks like with the way my flow is, the pellets float around in circles til they sink or get eaten, they don't go down the overflow...

Now, to decide between Bartlett's, Flame, or Squareback Anthias. 1 male and 4 females sound about right?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really liking this thing. Got it set for 4x per day, it only drops about 20 little pellets at a time and I can just do multiple rotations at each feeding if I want to increase the amount. Looks like with the way my flow is, the pellets float around in circles til they sink or get eaten, they don't go down the overflow...

Now, to decide between Bartlett's, Flame, or Squareback Anthias. 1 male and 4 females sound about right?

Squarebacks do best singly in tanks that are less than 150+ gallons, bartletts can be aggressive with one another. I recommend the group of flames(ignitus).

DavesNotHere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help as I'm new to the saltwater world. I have a 120 gal tank that has been up and running for about 3 months and I'm trying to determine how many fish is too many. I would eventually like to be able to add some corals to this tank, but I know that is down the road some
Currently I have:
3 Blue/Green Chromis (added about a month ago)
2 Ocellaris Clownfish (added last week)
5 large Turbo Snails (added about 6 weeks ago)

I know that I would like to add:
1 Tang, probably either a bristletooth or a tank raised blue tang (I know the tank size isn't ideal for the Blue Tang, but a LFS said it would be fine in the tank and the wife heard him so currently I'm losing that battle)
1 One Spot Foxface
1-2 Dwarf Angels (Flame Angel and possibly a Coral Beauty if they can coexist)
peppermint shrimp
a few hermit crabs
1 Sea Star

Is this a safe list of fish and would I be able to add more to the list without overdoing the tank?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that list would be OK but I would not add more than that. Its better to have too few fish than too many.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help as I'm new to the saltwater world. I have a 120 gal tank that has been up and running for about 3 months and I'm trying to determine how many fish is too many. I would eventually like to be able to add some corals to this tank, but I know that is down the road some
Currently I have:
3 Blue/Green Chromis (added about a month ago)
2 Ocellaris Clownfish (added last week)
5 large Turbo Snails (added about 6 weeks ago)

I know that I would like to add:
1 Tang, probably either a bristletooth or a tank raised blue tang (I know the tank size isn't ideal for the Blue Tang, but a LFS said it would be fine in the tank and the wife heard him so currently I'm losing that battle)
1 One Spot Foxface
1-2 Dwarf Angels (Flame Angel and possibly a Coral Beauty if they can coexist)
peppermint shrimp
a few hermit crabs
1 Sea Star

Is this a safe list of fish and would I be able to add more to the list without overdoing the tank?
Welcome to the hobby.

Your fish list looks good, although I would skip the blue tang, if it's an Atlantic blue tang they get big and are pretty aggressive, if it is a hippo tang, they get huge, too large for a 120.

Dwarf angels, such as the flame and coral beauty may nip at corals. They can also be aggressive toward each other, but by adding them together you can optimize their chances at coexisting.

Knowing when a tank has reached it's stocking limit is difficult for an outsider to determine. Filtration capabilities, fish aggression andeven aquascape can affect how many fish can be kept. Personally, I think you could add more fish and ve fine.

Noob2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a pair of chocolate clowns today. Both small from same tank at LFS. One slightly larger than other which I read helps when they compete for dominance. I'd like one tang but looking for suggestions on which are good options for my 90 gallon tank (36x24x24) with 30 gallon sump. Also.... is adding him next ok? And if there aren't issues with adding next, then how long should I wait before adding? A week? 2? Thx everyone.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs that are appropriate for a 90g include the kole, tomini and yellow.

It really depends on what other fish you would eventually like to get to best determine if adding a tang next is ok. Tangs deservedly have a reputation for being aggressive, though the vast majority of that aggression is directed at similarly shaped fish. It will likely benefit you to add a tang later in the order of fish.

New fish can be added relatively quicklt. A week or 2 is usually sufficient. You just don't want to shock your biological filtration by adding too many fish too quickly.

Ideally you would have a quarantine procedure in place, but I also understand that not everybody does.

Noob2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs that are appropriate for a 90g include the kole, tomini and yellow.

It really depends on what other fish you would eventually like to get to best determine if adding a tang next is ok. Tangs deservedly have a reputation for being aggressive, though the vast majority of that aggression is directed at similarly shaped fish. It will likely benefit you to add a tang later in the order of fish.

New fish can be added relatively quicklt. A week or 2 is usually sufficient. You just don't want to shock your biological filtration by adding too many fish too quickly.

Ideally you would have a quarantine procedure in place, but I also understand that not everybody does.

Noob2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the next one would ideally be one that likes to eat algae off of my live rocks. I may have my lights on too long currently and already adjusted but would still like to add a fish that will help

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do Chromis, Dartfish (they are jumpers, so watch out) or a type of cardinal fish

Six-lines are great for pest control but I have heard that they can be little devils.

Well I caved and bought a 1 1/2" Sixline Wrasse. So far so great! He's very active. Gramma and Bi-Colored Blenny bother him not at all, nor he them. Here's hoping it stays this way [emoji7]

Krak3n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm in the planning stages of my first saltwater tank and and just wanting to run my fish ideas by you. I will either go with a 40 gallon long or a 55 gallon long tank. My hopefulls so far
Pair of oc clowns one black one orange
Flame Angel
Yellow watchman gobie
Green clown gobie

So will these guys go ok together? Could I fit anything else in?

Thanks in advance

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm in the planning stages of my first saltwater tank and and just wanting to run my fish ideas by you. I will either go with a 40 gallon long or a 55 gallon long tank. My hopefulls so far
Pair of oc clowns one black one orange
Flame Angel
Yellow watchman gobie
Green clown gobie

So will these guys go ok together? Could I fit anything else in?

Thanks in advance
Looks to be good! Just know that gobies can be carpet bombers (take mouthfulls of sand and drop it on top of stuff) Also will this be a fish only or a reef tank? From what I hear flames can nip at corals

Krak3n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks it will have coral to I am really liking zoa pallys and maybe some lps. I was afraid the gobies may not get along but haven't found anything saying they won't. Also will have some inverts and clean up crew of course

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if your tank is big enough, you will be ok. They don't swim around too much, they mostly just chill by their cave/hole.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back