Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Designer" clownfish descended from ocellaris or perculas should be just fine - they'll behave more or less like ocellaris or percula clowns would be expected to.

I'd probably avoid the "blood orange" clownfish ... those are a cross between ocellaris and maroons, and can be unpredictable, from what I hear.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great feedback. That was my sneaking suspicion. Was thinking about splurging on the Lightening Maroons at some point hoping if I dropped them in last and gave them a 'nem they would behave. But not worth if they go all Galactus on my tank. .
IMG_1481416319.265903.jpg
What about "designer" clowns that are not Maroon-based? Or a Chalk Bass? Saw a a pair of them at UltraGem that were super cool.
"Designer" clownfish descended from ocellaris or perculas should be just fine - they'll behave more or less like ocellaris or percula clowns would be expected to.

I'd probably avoid the "blood orange" clownfish ... those are a cross between ocellaris and maroons, and can be unpredictable, from what I hear.

~Bruce
As Bruce mentioned the ocellaris/percula lines will be fine. Avoid anything from maroon or tomato lineages.

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have a 20 gallon nuvo reef. So far I have a Redfin waspfish and plan on getting an oscellaris clown too. My question is could i also add a six line wrasse or is my tank too small? I've read so many differing opinion on six lines so I'm kind of lost here. I know they can be more aggressive too but think the waspfish and clown would be fine with one. Just not sure about the size of the tank. Thanks in advance for any input!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have a 20 gallon nuvo reef. So far I have a Redfin waspfish and plan on getting an oscellaris clown too. My question is could i also add a six line wrasse or is my tank too small? I've read so many differing opinion on six lines so I'm kind of lost here. I know they can be more aggressive too but think the waspfish and clown would be fine with one. Just not sure about the size of the tank. Thanks in advance for any input!
The tank is not too small, and your current fish will be fine. However, a sixline will put an end to adding more fish.

Osiel Alvarado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I recently added 16 clowns to my tank. Pic below. And Idk if I should add some of those bubble tip anemones. Fairly new tank. I hear they walk and destroy stuff. I have some sps frags up top that are doing great and don't want to kill them. Thanks [emoji120].
120 gallon tank.
3mp40 at 50% for flow. 2 back one left.
2 hyrda's led fixture
2 T5 ATI blue plus supplement fixtures.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I recently added 16 clowns to my tank. Pic below. And Idk if I should add some of those bubble tip anemones. Fairly new tank. I hear they walk and destroy stuff. I have some sps frags up top that are doing great and don't want to kill them. Thanks
emoji120.png
120 gallon tank.
3mp40 at 50% for flow. 2 back one left.
2 hyrda's led fixture
2 T5 ATI blue plus supplement fixtures.
Clowns will manage without an anemone, so for the time being you should be fine. However, issues may arise in the future once some begin to pr off. As juveniles they are colonial, and may be ok, but 16 is a lot of clowns and if you end up with multiple prs there may be fighting.

wadew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a NUVO 20 and was wondering if this stocking list was ok.

-2 Oscellaris Clowns
-1 Royal Gramma Basslet
-1 Red Firefish Goby
-1 Cleaner Shrimp
-1 Yasha Goby
-1 Pistol Shrimp

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a NUVO 20 and was wondering if this stocking list was ok.

-2 Oscellaris Clowns
-1 Royal Gramma Basslet
-1 Red Firefish Goby
-1 Cleaner Shrimp
-1 Yasha Goby
-1 Pistol Shrimp
That list should be fine, though the clowns may get a little aggressive if/when they start laying eggs.

Charity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gal started with sps & devils hand corals along with peppermint shrimp,her it's & snails for cuc....all doing fairly well. This is my thoughts on livestock ...
in the end I want a couple of dwarf lionfish a fuzzy along with possibly a radiata... A foxface, larger mandarin and perhaps a tang and wrasse.

any thoughts about that list? Yes I know the peppermint will be lunch eventually however he is totally expendable and can be replaced with a beefier type shrimp

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if the mandarin might not wind up as a snack as well...

It wasn't a dwarf, but I've seen a lionfish consume a blackedge moray eel significantly longer than the lion! (Well, I saw the aftermath - no eel and a _very_ bloated lionfish!)

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gal started with sps & devils hand corals along with peppermint shrimp,her it's & snails for cuc....all doing fairly well. This is my thoughts on livestock ...
in the end I want a couple of dwarf lionfish a fuzzy along with possibly a radiata... A foxface, larger mandarin and perhaps a tang and wrasse.

any thoughts about that list? Yes I know the peppermint will be lunch eventually however he is totally expendable and can be replaced with a beefier type shrimp
If you stick with fuzzy dwaves instead of getting an antennata, the mandarin and wrasse should be fine.

Benj2112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I am looking to create a fish list for my 120 gallon planned to be reef tank. Attached is my list with notes. A few of my questions so far are:
Is a Royal Gramma okay with a Firefish and Mandarin? Would a Yellow Prawn Goby be okay with a 1" sandbed? Would a Pistol Shrimp be dangerous to a Cleaner and Peppermint Shrimp? What order would be best? Any changes or other comments?
tank_inhabitants.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back