Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g with 2 T/P Clowns, Firefish, Melanurus and Flasher Wrasse. Setting up the QT again today and decided to get a Kole Tang. I read that they can be somewhat aggressive to other fish, mostly other algae grazers. Should I worry about it with the stock I have now?
They are a more peaceful tang, but each fish has it's own personality. I personally had a kole that was a holy terror to wrasses and had to be removed.

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50G w/ Pair of bonded clowns and Midas Blenny. Want to get a Mandarin as next fish (have pods). Can I also get a 6 Line and Court Jester Goby or will they out compete for pods?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50G w/ Pair of bonded clowns and Midas Blenny. Want to get a Mandarin as next fish (have pods). Can I also get a 6 Line and Court Jester Goby or will they out compete for pods?
The sixline will compete for pods. The court jester eats other microorganisms.

wadew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a 20 gal NUVO tank and was wondering what fish you'd all suggest. I currently have 1 ocellais clown, 1 royal gramma, and a yasha goby.
Ideas?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a 20 gal NUVO tank and was wondering what fish you'd all suggest. I currently have 1 ocellais clown, 1 royal gramma, and a yasha goby.
Ideas?
Maybe a stigmatura blenny or an azure damsel.

wadew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really want a mini shoal of damsels, but obv. space is limited in a 20g

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I add a female lyretail anthias trio and a blotched anthias to an existing Bartlett's trio in a 125 gal.?

wadew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqadvisor says w. 2 clowns, 3 blue damsels, + a gramma that its 99% on stocking. not sure where goby factors in there. Tank is 3+ months old, has lots of snails+crab for cleanup crew.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqadvisor says w. 2 clowns, 3 blue damsels, + a gramma that its 99% on stocking. not sure where goby factors in there. Tank is 3+ months old, has lots of snails+crab for cleanup crew.
Each damsel stakes out and defends a territory, as does a gramma, as do the clowns. A 20g doesn't afford the space for that many territories.

Okie54321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I want to start up a small saltwater tank and need some help. I have an idea of what I want so this is it:
My tank is 20 gallons and I preferably want 1 flame angel and a "school" of like 3 blue green chromis. I have plenty of live rock and I also have a 15 gallon tank I would use as a sump filter. For the cleaning crew, I would like a cleaner shrimp but not any hermit crabs because I don't want to be worrying about them getting too big for their shells...what else should I have for the cleaning crew? Back to the fish, I've heard that the flame angel would probably be too big for this size tank but I really like the look of them so if the flame angel is not possible, then what other fish could I get to stand out and kind of be the "main attraction" if you know what I mean. I don't want clownfish by the way because I've already had some in the past and I'm looking for something new. I want corals too but don't know what to get... what are some beginner corals that look pretty and will work well with the fish in my tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I want to start up a small saltwater tank and need some help. I have an idea of what I want so this is it:
My tank is 20 gallons and I preferably want 1 flame angel and a "school" of like 3 blue green chromis. I have plenty of live rock and I also have a 15 gallon tank I would use as a sump filter. For the cleaning crew, I would like a cleaner shrimp but not any hermit crabs because I don't want to be worrying about them getting too big for their shells...what else should I have for the cleaning crew? Back to the fish, I've heard that the flame angel would probably be too big for this size tank but I really like the look of them so if the flame angel is not possible, then what other fish could I get to stand out and kind of be the "main attraction" if you know what I mean. I don't want clownfish by the way because I've already had some in the past and I'm looking for something new. I want corals too but don't know what to get... what are some beginner corals that look pretty and will work well with the fish in my tank?
I would recommend against a flame angel for a 20g. Perhaps a flame hawk or a royal gramma instead.

I would also shy away from a school of chromis in a 20g. Maybe try a springeri or azure damsel instead.

Clean up crew really varies from tank to tank, but nassarius snails are very effective scavengers.

Easy corals would include zoas, mushrooms, green star poltps, and leathers.

wadew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a NUVO 20 gallon aquarium with 1 clown, 1 royal gramma, and 1 yasha goby. How many damsels could I put in my tank?

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream list. Any problems seen here?
Lineatus wrasse
Gold assessor
Flame hawk
Helfrichi firefish
Ocellaris clown
Resplendent anthias
Yellow clown goby

Tank size 60 with another 10 gallon sump.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a NUVO 20 gallon aquarium with 1 clown, 1 royal gramma, and 1 yasha goby. How many damsels could I put in my tank?
With that stock I would only do one. If the damsels were the only ones in the tank, maybe 4.

My dream list. Any problems seen here?
Lineatus wrasse
Gold assessor
Flame hawk
Helfrichi firefish
Ocellaris clown
Resplendent anthias
Yellow clown goby

Tank size 60 with another 10 gallon sump.
The lineatus gets a little large for a 60g. And resplendent anthias do better in a group.

wadew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that stock I would only do one. If the damsels were the only ones in the tank, maybe 4.

So.. what would be good schooling fish for my 20 gal? Chromis?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. what would be good schooling fish for my 20 gal? Chromis?
There aren't too many options for schooling fish for a 20g. Chromis get too big and active for a 20g. Plus, a group will add significant bioload.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back