Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys. So I have a 6 month old 29 cube, and I think I'm ready for another (final) fish or two.

Here is my stock as it sits:
2 percula clowns
1 firefish
7 assorted snails
4 hermit crabs
2 emerald crabs

Everyone is happy in the tank, and the last thing I want to do is crowd my little guys in there. My firefish typically stays in his hiding spot and behind he live rock. Only comes out for food. My clownfish are very active.

I'd love to add to my CUC. How much more would be tolerated in my tank when it comes to hermit crabs, snails, a few shrimp, etc... I have had two shrimp die, and they are my only fatalities. I believe my larger emerald is to blame, but I like him and don't want to take him out of his home as he's. Even in the tank since it cycled. Each time they were just single shrimp, would two shrimp be able to kind of watch out for each other?

I also want one or two more fish to complete my fish stocking. I love to watch the Gobys in the LFS. Are they a viable option for my tank as it sits? I have about 2 inch sand bed.

Any other cool fish or inverts suggested??

Thanks!

IMG_1172.JPG

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starki damsels can be moderately aggressive and defend a territory that will take up a considerable portion of a 40g. Less aggressive damsels, such as the azure or springeri would be a more peaceful choice.

:( I thought as much..... I don't care for the azures much as I see them every day at work so now they are just boring for me. I thought of the springeri but it doesn't have that nice contrast of yellow. I guess I'll have to keep searching for the fish with that "wow" factor. Thank you for your input.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add a starcki damsel as my final fish but I wanted to get second opinion as to whether it would be a good choice. I have a 40b, current stock below.

Black combtooth blenny
2 ocellaris clowns
Greenbanded goby (in QT)
Yellow assessor (picking up this week to go into QT)
What do you think?

What about a chalk bass with the above? Would it bother the assessor?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a chalk bass with the above? Would it bother the assessor?
It should be fine, just let the assessor settle before adding the chalk bass.
Alright guys. So I have a 6 month old 29 cube, and I think I'm ready for another (final) fish or two.

Here is my stock as it sits:
2 percula clowns
1 firefish
7 assorted snails
4 hermit crabs
2 emerald crabs

Everyone is happy in the tank, and the last thing I want to do is crowd my little guys in there. My firefish typically stays in his hiding spot and behind he live rock. Only comes out for food. My clownfish are very active.

I'd love to add to my CUC. How much more would be tolerated in my tank when it comes to hermit crabs, snails, a few shrimp, etc... I have had two shrimp die, and they are my only fatalities. I believe my larger emerald is to blame, but I like him and don't want to take him out of his home as he's. Even in the tank since it cycled. Each time they were just single shrimp, would two shrimp be able to kind of watch out for each other?

I also want one or two more fish to complete my fish stocking. I love to watch the Gobys in the LFS. Are they a viable option for my tank as it sits? I have about 2 inch sand bed.

Any other cool fish or inverts suggested??

Thanks!

IMG_1172.JPG
Emerald crabs usually aren't too predatory, so there maybe something else at play. Sometimes when shrimp are added to a new setting it sets off a molt. When they first molt they are much more vulnerable to an opportunist, such as crabs. Perhaps when trying shrimp put them in a little plastic critter cage for a couple of days to let them settle to new surroundings without the risk of being eaten.

Gobies, stigmatura blenny, yellow assessor, or royal gramma would all be fish options that would work.

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine, just let the assessor settle before adding the chalk bass.

Emerald crabs usually aren't too predatory, so there maybe something else at play. Sometimes when shrimp are added to a new setting it sets off a molt. When they first molt they are much more vulnerable to an opportunist, such as crabs. Perhaps when trying shrimp put them in a little plastic critter cage for a couple of days to let them settle to new surroundings without the risk of being eaten.

Gobies, stigmatura blenny, yellow assessor, or royal gramma would all be fish options that would work.

Awesome. Thanks man. Do you think getting a pair of shrimp may help out? Is iodine NEEDED to be dosed with shrimp?

I may go check out some fish today at the LFS. Is a pistol shrimp, Goby pair suggested? Or are they just as happy without. Could I add a pistol later in and they'll pair up?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks man. Do you think getting a pair of shrimp may help out? Is iodine NEEDED to be dosed with shrimp?

I may go check out some fish today at the LFS. Is a pistol shrimp, Goby pair suggested? Or are they just as happy without. Could I add a pistol later in and they'll pair up?
Regular water changes should provide the needed iodine.

The shrimp won't care whether they are kept singly or in a pr.

Watchman goby/pistol shrimp can be added simultaneously or seperately without issue.

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Watchman goby/pistol shrimp can be added simultaneously or seperately without issue.

Thanks for your help once again. Still pretty new to this. My tanks been up and running 5 months and the only thing I've ever lost is Shrimp. 3 so far. My first shrimp was a peppermint, And he was in there for a month. One day he was gone and I never found him. My second shrimp was a cleaner, and he was in for a week. He molted on day 5, then on day 7 I found his full body in the back corner of the tank. Third shrimp was another cleaner and he molted on day 4, day 5 I found pieces of him.

I absolutely hate losing any living creature. So I'm really just trying to figure out what to do to ensure a healthy and safe tank for another shrimp before I try again.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help once again. Still pretty new to this. My tanks been up and running 5 months and the only thing I've ever lost is Shrimp. 3 so far. My first shrimp was a peppermint, And he was in there for a month. One day he was gone and I never found him. My second shrimp was a cleaner, and he was in for a week. He molted on day 5, then on day 7 I found his full body in the back corner of the tank. Third shrimp was another cleaner and he molted on day 4, day 5 I found pieces of him.

I absolutely hate losing any living creature. So I'm really just trying to figure out what to do to ensure a healthy and safe tank for another shrimp before I try again.
When they molt their shell is soft for a couple days and they are vulnerable to attack. Try feeding a little more when you see them molt. Most creatures will opt for the easy meal, rather than hunt.

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I picked up a diamond Goby. He looked awesome in the LFS and I love their personalities and mannerisms. Have read great things about them as well.

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add an active/colorful fish. Have BC29 with 38g total H2O with sump. Current inhabitants are Flame hawk, YT Damsel, 2 Firefish. Could any of the Flasher or fairy Wrasses fit in?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add an active/colorful fish. Have BC29 with 38g total H2O with sump. Current inhabitants are Flame hawk, YT Damsel, 2 Firefish. Could any of the Flasher or fairy Wrasses fit in?
I wouldn't do a fairy in that size tank. It will be tight for a flasher, too, but doable I suppose.

Rivunel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am Setting up a 20 gallon innovative marine peninsula tank on my desk at work it is all cycled and the CUC has been added.
i do plan on adding corals but those decisions seem to be easier for me to hold back on and take my time.

I Plan on putting in
2 clown gobies
a possum wrasse
A pink streaked wrasse
a shrimp goby pair

I was wondering if this stocking would be fine? and secondly could i add a small basslet or something similar? not my first tank but still only been keeping saltwater for a year.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am Setting up a 20 gallon innovative marine peninsula tank on my desk at work it is all cycled and the CUC has been added.
i do plan on adding corals but those decisions seem to be easier for me to hold back on and take my time.

I Plan on putting in
2 clown gobies
a possum wrasse
A pink streaked wrasse
a shrimp goby pair

I was wondering if this stocking would be fine? and secondly could i add a small basslet or something similar? not my first tank but still only been keeping saltwater for a year.
That list should be fine. It depends on nutrient control, but you should probably be ok adding another fish. A small Liopropoma or assessor would work.

Rivunel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That list should be fine. It depends on nutrient control, but you should probably be ok adding another fish. A small Liopropoma or assessor would work.

i do have a protein skimmer on the 20 gallon
i planned on adding a hang on refugium or something like it to add more pods for the wrasses. would it be a good addition or unnecessary?
and thank you very much. there is 15 pounds of rock and ten pounds of live sand.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do have a protein skimmer on the 20 gallon
i planned on adding a hang on refugium or something like it to add more pods for the wrasses. would it be a good addition or unnecessary?
and thank you very much. there is 15 pounds of rock and ten pounds of live sand.
Adding a refugium is never a bad idea, but it isn't a necessity with your stock.

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am waiting and waiting and waiting for my tank to cycle...I thought I would go ahead and figure out if my 'wish list' is ok for my tank.

I have a BioCube32 LED, inTank media, ATO but no refugium yet (not sure even really what it is and if I need it), no protein skimmer.

Here is my wishlist:

• 2 (or 1) ocellaris clownfish
  • yellow watchman goby
  • candy cane pistol shrim (hoping they become buddies)
  • firefish
And clean up crew

And corals, easy ones....softies and LPS.

Any comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks so much!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am waiting and waiting and waiting for my tank to cycle...I thought I would go ahead and figure out if my 'wish list' is ok for my tank.

I have a BioCube32 LED, inTank media, ATO but no refugium yet (not sure even really what it is and if I need it), no protein skimmer.

Here is my wishlist:

• 2 (or 1) ocellaris clownfish
  • yellow watchman goby
  • candy cane pistol shrim (hoping they become buddies)
  • firefish
And clean up crew

And corals, easy ones....softies and LPS.

Any comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks so much!
That list looks good.

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32g biocube

The way my rock is set up I've really only got one cave. Currently have 2 Picasso Clownfish and a Purple Firefish.

I'm wanting to add my last fish now and be done. Will a Royal Gramma fight the firefish for the one cave? If there's a chance of it fighting I don't want to get it as I really like the personalities of my 3 existing fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a problem mixing a royal gramma witj a firefish. The gramma will want the cave, but there should be plenty of other options for the firefish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back