Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomatoes are among the more aggressive clowns, and I suspect he'll eventually get into it with your ocellaris. He'll probably be OK with the panther as long as the grouper doesn't think he can swallow the clownfish whole - and the grouper probably thinks he can swallow something bigger than _you_ think he can swallow.

The trigger - that's anybody's guess. I've seen some of those guys try to take out scuba divers. (Granted, not _clown_ triggers, but . . . )

~Bruce, who doesn't completely trust his blue-jaw trigger.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomatoes are among the more aggressive clowns, and I suspect he'll eventually get into it with your ocellaris. He'll probably be OK with the panther as long as the grouper doesn't think he can swallow the clownfish whole - and the grouper probably thinks he can swallow something bigger than _you_ think he can swallow.

The trigger - that's anybody's guess. I've seen some of those guys try to take out scuba divers. (Granted, not _clown_ triggers, but . . . )

~Bruce, who doesn't completely trust his blue-jaw trigger.
I agree completely with this.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your stocklist is an exceptionally peaceful. So I would recommend against a flame angel. If you stopped adding now that would be fine. But if you wanted to add a few options that would work include: any of the Meiecanthus species of blenny, a Paraclinus blenny, sunburst anthias, neon goby, margarita or orangeline cardinal.
Well I lost my swissguard basslet. The heartache was brutal! For me and seeing my clown looking for his best friend. It has been a very hard week. I did do exactly what I always wanted. I picked up a very nice flame angel. He is beautiful and gets along with everyone. The best part. My Randall's Prawn goby is afraid/respective of the new boss, but still plays a sub boss. Hopefully it subsides his attitude.

IMG_20170525_083848.jpg

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I stop aggressiveness from a splendid dottyback towards my 2 new blue damsels? I added them last night and he want leave them alone!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I stop aggressiveness from a splendid dottyback towards my 2 new blue damsels? I added them last night and he want leave them alone!
Turn out the lights and black out the tank for a day or two. After, you can try placing a mirror next to the tank. If that doesn't work, rearranging some rocks, or placing the dottyback in acclimation box for a few days can work.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 40g breeder (2 mos) with 2 clownfish (Jack and Diane) that have been in the tank about a month. They are looking for a new tankmate this weekend! Great personality a must and no agro behavior. Must not eat corals that arrive in the future. Who wants to come live with them?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of choices - how do you feel about mesh / netting tops?

Firefish, dartfish and smaller wrasses, like flashers and fairies would all need one. (Not all fairies are suitable for a 40B, but something like a Lubbock's should be comfortable enough.) A tailspot or similar blenny would charm as it hops from rock to rock, and there are plenty of gobies, with or without shrimp companions, that would delight from the sand.

~Bruce

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of choices - how do you feel about mesh / netting tops?

Firefish, dartfish and smaller wrasses, like flashers and fairies would all need one. (Not all fairies are suitable for a 40B, but something like a Lubbock's should be comfortable enough.) A tailspot or similar blenny would charm as it hops from rock to rock, and there are plenty of gobies, with or without shrimp companions, that would delight from the sand.

~Bruce
Thanks! I want a Midas Blenny but they were out of stock. I got two pajama cardinalfish. I do have the supplies for a screen top. No tile surfing at my house.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 40g breeder (2 mos) with 2 clownfish (Jack and Diane) that have been in the tank about a month. They are looking for a new tankmate this weekend! Great personality a must and no agro behavior. Must not eat corals that arrive in the future. Who wants to come live with them?
I have a 40B all of these fish work. Spotted Mandarin and especially the swissguard basslet who was best friends with my clown. I just lost the swissguard and my clown is pretty devastated.

IMG_20170503_092742.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B all of these fish work. Spotted Mandarin and especially the swissguard basslet who was best friends with my clown. I just lost the swissguard and my clown is pretty devastated.

IMG_20170503_092742.jpg
How do you feed the mandarin?

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feed the mandarin?
Fresh scallops sliced thin with a razor blade, mysis, blood worms, brine. Get one eating frozen. Just target feed it in a low flow area with a turkey baster. It takes them awhile to become good hunters, but when they are. They can track food floating by no problem that is about 5" away.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh scallops sliced thin with a razor blade, mysis, blood worms, brine. Get one eating frozen. Just target feed it in a low flow area with a turkey baster. It takes them awhile to become good hunters, but when they are. They can track food floating by no problem that is about 5" away.
I've always wanted one but wasn't sure a 40g was big enough. I know they eat pods in the wild. If they could eat frozen I'd love to have one.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted one but wasn't sure a 40g was big enough. I know they eat pods in the wild. If they could eat frozen I'd love to have one.
I had mine in a 20g for about 10 months. Then upgraded to a 40B. I have been told a 40B is to small for a flame angel too. Watch my 40B Knasty Bacter Clean M by Continuum. Week 4 video on YouTube. It is perfect size for it. Gets a long awesome with everyone and keeps my Randall's Prawn Goby at bay with his attitude without even trying to be a boss to him. Yeah there was a few flames I would not have thrown in my tank. I just took my time watching the 10 to pick from. The 3rd nicest one had the best attitude around all the fish in the tank. Took him home. Now he is best friends with my Yellow & Purple wrasse. They are buds. The flame even goes over and tries to cheer up the clown who is still suffering the loss of the swissguard basslet.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back