Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder with: an occelaris, a kole tang, a solonensis wrasse, and a melanurus wrasse

I am setting up a 5'x2'x2' 150 gallon in the next few weeks. I will have the opportunity to keep both tanks up for a short time, so I could have a specific order of additions. I will be keeping all the current fish.

Fish I would like to add:
-A group of anthias: recommendation on species and number?
-A single Bartlett's anthias
-A purple OR blue Caribbean tang
-Another fairy wrasse (like a Scott's or cyanopleura)

What would you recommend for this species list? Also, what would be the recommended order for adding the new fish with the current fish? I have a 75gallon sump + 55 gallon refugium and a vertex alpha 200, if that impacts bioload thoughts.
For anthias I recommend a group of 5 dispar or randalls anthias. They are relatively hardy, but less likely to pick each other off like lyretails and bartletts do.

If you are keeping a group of peaceful anthias, then I would advise against a bartletts due to aggression.

I have had problems with Caribbean blue tangs becoming aggressive. Go with the purple an add it simultaneously with the kole. Add these last.

Another fairy wrasse would be fine, but skip the scotts. They lose their bright colors and become aggressive. Also skip the cyanopleura. It and the solorensis are closely related, so are more likely to fight. Consider an exquisite, lubbocks, rubrisquammis, or rubrimarginatus. Add fairy wrasses simultaneously if possible. If not, then utilize a social acclimation box when adding a new wrasse to an established one. Add fairy wrasses before adding the melanurus.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anthias I recommend a group of 5 dispar or randalls anthias. They are relatively hardy, but less likely to pick each other off like lyretails and bartletts do.

If you are keeping a group of peaceful anthias, then I would advise against a bartletts due to aggression.

I have had problems with Caribbean blue tangs becoming aggressive. Go with the purple an add it simultaneously with the kole. Add these last.

Another fairy wrasse would be fine, but skip the scotts. They lose their bright colors and become aggressive. Also skip the cyanopleura. It and the solorensis are closely related, so are more likely to fight. Consider an exquisite, lubbocks, rubrisquammis, or rubrimarginatus. Add fairy wrasses simultaneously if possible. If not, then utilize a social acclimation box when adding a new wrasse to an established one. Add fairy wrasses before adding the melanurus.

Thanks so much. I'll skip the Bartletts. Could I replace it with a group of blue chromis?

This would be the order, then:

1. Dispar or Randal's anthias (5)

2. Clownfish

3. Blue chromis group

4. Solorensis wrasse + new fairy wrasse

5. Melanurus wrasse

6. Kole tang + new purple tang

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. I'll skip the Bartletts. Could I replace it with a group of blue chromis?

This would be the order, then:

1. Dispar or Randal's anthias (5)

2. Clownfish

3. Blue chromis group

4. Solorensis wrasse + new fairy wrasse

5. Melanurus wrasse

6. Kole tang + new purple tang
Some have reported chromis picking each other off, but that has not been my experience, so looks good to me.

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a RSR XL425 [DT 88G; Total 116G] with the following livestock (listed in the order they were introduced):
  • Yellow clown goby
  • Blackice clown (pair)
  • Banggai cardinal (pair)
  • Purple firefish
  • Bartlett's anthias (3)
  • Yellow watchman goby
  • Algae blenny
  • Flame angel
  • Red head solon fairy wrasse
At this point, I'd really like to add a tang as my last addition and have my heart set on a small 2-2.5" purple tang. Is this a good idea given my current stocking and would this push my bioload overboard? Perhaps a tomini or white tail bristletooth tang would be a better fit for my size tank, but I do really love purple tangs and would be willing to re-home him once he outgrows the tank. Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a RSR XL425 [DT 88G; Total 116G] with the following livestock (listed in the order they were introduced):
  • Yellow clown goby
  • Blackice clown (pair)
  • Banggai cardinal (pair)
  • Purple firefish
  • Bartlett's anthias (3)
  • Yellow watchman goby
  • Algae blenny
  • Flame angel
  • Red head solon fairy wrasse
At this point, I'd really like to add a tang as my last addition and have my heart set on a small 2-2.5" purple tang. Is this a good idea given my current stocking and would this push my bioload overboard? Perhaps a tomini or white tail bristletooth tang would be a better fit for my size tank, but I do really love purple tangs and would be willing to re-home him once he outgrows the tank. Thanks!
A purple tang should be fine in this tank. Bioload varies system to system, but if your chemistry is manageable then you should be fine.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green chromis seem to have two problems going on; Uronema disease, and their tendency to whittle their numbers down to one. I've got a trio of azure damsels in a 65 gallon, and recommend them fairly highly. Two orchid dottybacks, added while they're small, will often pair up, and sometimes spawn. I'd go with two orchids, rather than an orchid and a something-else, and don't _think_ they'd automatically prevent you from adding a wrasse - though you might want to use a social acclimation box to do it.
~Bruce
If the two orchid dottyback's pair up will they not be more territorial than two unrelated species?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the two orchid dottyback's pair up will they not be more territorial than two unrelated species?
Orchids are less aggressive than other dotyybacks, so it doesn't mix with most other dottybacks because it wilp get picked on, likely even killed by another dottyback.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchids are less aggressive than other dotyybacks, so it doesn't mix with most other dottybacks because it wilp get picked on, likely even killed by another dottyback.
Would a pair or a trio work better? I was considering one of the ORA designer hybrids as the second type, Electric Indigo, which is a cross between fridmani and sankeyi.
I'm still on the fence with the green chromis. LA has active bred azures which does tip the scale towards them. I'd go with anthias if I could QT them in CP and they would eat dispensed food.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a pair or a trio work better? I was considering one of the ORA designer hybrids as the second type, Electric Indigo, which is a cross between fridmani and sankeyi.
I'm still on the fence with the green chromis. LA has active bred azures which does tip the scale towards them. I'd go with anthias if I could QT them in CP and they would eat dispensed food.
Personally I would recommend only one dottyback. Pairing them doesn't always work, and the less dominant one can get pretty beat up.

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A purple tang should be fine in this tank. Bioload varies system to system, but if your chemistry is manageable then you should be fine.
Awesome! Would it be pushing it to add a similarly sized bristletooth or yellow tang along with the purple tang?

Last edited:

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some have reported chromis picking each other off, but that has not been my experience, so looks good to me.

Thanks so much.

What if I skipped the additional wrasse and tang and went with 7 chromis and 7 dispar anthias. Think that would still be okay bioload wise?

Lariat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering adding about a dozen lyretail anthias to my 125. Current fish are purple tang, heniochus butterflyfish, maroon clown and a diamond watchman goby. Any advice?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much.

What if I skipped the additional wrasse and tang and went with 7 chromis and 7 dispar anthias. Think that would still be okay bioload wise?
That should still be fine, but each tank varies as far as the bioload is concerned, so test your water frequently.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering adding about a dozen lyretail anthias to my 125. Current fish are purple tang, heniochus butterflyfish, maroon clown and a diamond watchman goby. Any advice?
Try to get all females if possible and let them work out who will transition to male. Also, high flow and frequent feedings diffuse aggression.

Lariat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my plan should there be any issues with adding them all at once or should I ad a few at a time?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back