Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current tank setup
30 gallon deep blue rimless

Current inhabitants
2 pajama cardinals
2 blue green chromis
Nudus magnificent shrimp goby
Pistol shrimp
Red ear barnacle blenny
2 peppermint shrimp
Misc snails and crabs

My goal for the tank is a ton of inverts. I want shrimp of all kind and a bunch of tiny fish.

My question is can I add more smaller species blennies and tiny gobies to the tank and it still be peaceful?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current tank setup
30 gallon deep blue rimless

Current inhabitants
2 pajama cardinals
2 blue green chromis
Nudus magnificent shrimp goby
Pistol shrimp
Red ear barnacle blenny
2 peppermint shrimp
Misc snails and crabs

My goal for the tank is a ton of inverts. I want shrimp of all kind and a bunch of tiny fish.

My question is can I add more smaller species blennies and tiny gobies to the tank and it still be peaceful?
Most definitely, it just depends on the particular species.

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely, it just depends on the particular species.
Obviously not all will fit but here are the ones I've been looking at. Figure you can give me a better idea of what will work with my current stock.

Red banded hi fin goby
Black barred convict goby
Tangaroa goby
Hectors goby
Wheelers shrimp goby
Yasha white ray goby

Eyebrow barnacle blenny
Panamic barnacle blenny
Mexican barnacle blenny
Tailspot blenny
Two spot bimaculatus blenny

Would love a firefish and starry blenny but would the starry get along with the smaller species blennies?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously not all will fit but here are the ones I've been looking at. Figure you can give me a better idea of what will work with my current stock.

Red banded hi fin goby
Black barred convict goby
Tangaroa goby
Hectors goby
Wheelers shrimp goby
Yasha white ray goby

Eyebrow barnacle blenny
Panamic barnacle blenny
Mexican barnacle blenny
Tailspot blenny
Two spot bimaculatus blenny

Would love a firefish and starry blenny but would the starry get along with the smaller species blennies?
I've had eyebrow barnacle blennies get aggressive toward other barnacle blennies.

A starry blenny will be aggressive toward other algae eating blenies.

In that size tank, I would chose either the stigmatura or 2 spot, not both.

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had eyebrow barnacle blennies get aggressive toward other barnacle blennies.

A starry blenny will be aggressive toward other algae eating blenies.

In that size tank, I would chose either the stigmatura or 2 spot, not both.
Other than that the rest would be fine together? How many from the list would I be able to add to the tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than that the rest would be fine together? How many from the list would I be able to add to the tank?
Yes, everything else is fine. Depending on how your tank handles it, it's possible to get them all.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at setting up a 4'x4'x2' LxWxH and looking for recommendations on what tangs will adapt well to living in this style tank. It being a cube I'm worried that they will not have the length they may need.

DerekT5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that bangaii cardinals are grouping fish but could I only get one for my tank

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ihavecrabs - the smaller Ctenochaetus tangs, such as the kole and tomini should be fine in that tank - a yellow might do well there also, but don't try to add too _many_ tangs! More enthusiastic swimmers with crankier tempers, such as most of the Acanthurus and Naso group ... maybe not.

@DerekT5 - Banggai cardinals are only a grouping fish when they're young - as they mature they tend to pair off, and anyone who can't get out of the dominant pair's way is gonna be in major trouble.

~Bruce

Annahra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for a 24g Nano Cube with any established neon dottyback and clingfish? Lots inverts and soft corals.

I'd like to have one or two other small fish but I know my dottyback may be a jerk.

Thanks!

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost wish I could see some... The closest I can see to conflict might be the two Halichoeres sp. or the two Wetmorella sp. - but I honestly don't think they'll be a problem if you socially acclimate.

~Bruce

Thanks! I'm glad being careful with my selection has worked out aggression wise...Any other Anthias you could recommend that would be smaller/ less aggressive and still work out instead of Lyretails? Need to be able to get them easily on pellets because without autofeeder I can only feed once a day.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for a 24g Nano Cube with any established neon dottyback and clingfish? Lots inverts and soft corals.

I'd like to have one or two other small fish but I know my dottyback may be a jerk.

Thanks!
The dottyback can definitely be problematic in a small tank. In most cases, but not all, a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pr will work. A round bodied cardinal, such as a pj or bangaii may be tolerated by the dottyback.
Thanks! I'm glad being careful with my selection has worked out aggression wise...Any other Anthias you could recommend that would be smaller/ less aggressive and still work out instead of Lyretails? Need to be able to get them easily on pellets because without autofeeder I can only feed once a day.
Dispars or ramdalls can work. It may take a week or two, but they can be trained to take pellets.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept FW fish before but this is my first salt tank. I have a 4 foot long 60gal tank. It's going to be FOWLR for now but I plan to eventually get some coral as well, likely starting with soft corals for some time. So far I have about 30 lbs of dry rock and will be using 60-80 lbs of live sand in hopes of getting about 2" sand bed. I have a BH-1000 HOB skimmer rated for 100gal and I also have some HOB filters that came with the used tank. I'm planning on using at least one HOB filter to have some carbon and GFO filtration. I'll probably get some heat for this but, I have likely the cheapest powerheads on the market. SUNSUN 4 pack for $25 on amazon. They are supposedly 800GPH but that's probably not true. Also have a heater and a 2 bulb 36" t5 HO fixture. I would love to drill the tank and do a sump from the start but I don't really have the funds or time to do that at the moment so it will likely be the next tank that gets a sump.

So I'm planning on starting off with a green chromis but I would like to have a few so that they will school together. Will they school even if some are added later?

Stock List:
4-6 Green Chromis OR maybe Pajama Cardinals, I would like to have a small school if possible.
2 Clown fish - Eventually get an anemone for them to host.
Goby/Shrimp pair - Not sure on which types.
Royal Gramma

Cleaning Crew:
Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
Astraea Turbo Snails
Emerald Crab
Fighting Conch

I would like to hear any suggestions on fish or gear. Any issues anyone sees with what I'm doing here. Are there any angel or butterfly fish that I can keep in a 60gal? Tangs are out of the question for a 60 right? I don't want to overstock the tank and I want the fish I have to be happy and not cramped. I'm thinking the list I have is already at or past the limit of a 60 gal right? Thanks.

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Instigate, and Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Green chromis have a reputation for picking each other off until only one or two remain, though some report success with shoals. (Not really a "true" schooling fish.) Three or four PJ cardinals should probably get along as well - but don't expect them to be active swimmers.

Clowns, goby/shrimp and gramma should all be just fine.

I can't think of any butterflies that'll work in a 60, but one of the Centropyge dwarf angelfish could. I have a flame and a coral beauty for the last half-year or so in a 65 - but I wouldn't call the two of them "best friends".

~Bruce

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ihavecrabs - the smaller Ctenochaetus tangs, such as the kole and tomini should be fine in that tank - a yellow might do well there also, but don't try to add too _many_ tangs! More enthusiastic swimmers with crankier tempers, such as most of the Acanthurus and Naso group ... maybe not.

~Bruce

If I change my build to a 60" x 36" x 24" does that open my options up given the longer stretch for swimming?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back