Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Mordkanin

View Badges
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon reef tank currently hosting:

Code:
Melanurus Wrasse
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
PJ Cardinal
Bangaii Cardinal
Striped Blenny
Tailspot Blenny
Firefish Goby
Greenbanded Goby
High Fin Banded Goby
Neon Blue Goby

How fully stocked do we think this tank is? I was thinking about adding a couple more wrasses: An exquisite and a solorensis. Based on my research, those four should mostly be compatible with each other. The most similar two wrasses would be the Exquisite and the Melanurus, but they're from different genera, so they might be OK with each other.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon reef tank currently hosting:

Code:
Melanurus Wrasse
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
PJ Cardinal
Bangaii Cardinal
Striped Blenny
Tailspot Blenny
Firefish Goby
Greenbanded Goby
High Fin Banded Goby
Neon Blue Goby

How fully stocked do we think this tank is? I was thinking about adding a couple more wrasses: An exquisite and a solorensis. Based on my research, those four should mostly be compatible with each other. The most similar two wrasses would be the Exquisite and the Melanurus, but they're from different genera, so they might be OK with each other.

Cirrhilabrus exquisitus and cirrhilabrus solorensis?
1656815731748.png

Those two are closely related and thus might not get along. If you want to add two fairy wrasses look for two on more different ends of this tree.
Not saying it won’t work but it is a risk. However the other two wrasses should be fine with any fairy wrasses.

Mordkanin

View Badges
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1656815731748.png

Those two are closely related and thus might not get along. If you want to add two fairy wrasses look for two on more different ends of this tree.
Not saying it won’t work but it is a risk. However the other two wrasses should be fine with any fairy wrasses.

I've read reports of solorensis and exquisite getting along peacefully, presumably because they have VERY different coloration.

Obviously nothing is a 100% sure bet, though.

My real question was more about how "full" the tank is.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read reports of solorensis and exquisite getting along peacefully, presumably because they have VERY different coloration.

Obviously nothing is a 100% sure bet, though.

My real question was more about how "full" the tank is.
You're all good then! Though maybe add together to be safe.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1656815731748.png

This chart is purely a guideline. Nothing is 100% on it and it can be bent, I’ve used this and bent it with all of my fairies/flashers. I have C. melanomarginatus with a C. lubbocki from Indonesia and a C. lubbocki from Cebu. My tank is a 4’x2’x2’ with 6 wrasses and only 3 species are known for getting along, The Lubbock’s with the flasher and the radiant.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This chart is purely a guideline. Nothing is 100% on it and it can be bent, I’ve used this and bent it with all of my fairies/flashers. I have C. melanomarginatus with a C. lubbocki from Indonesia and a C. lubbocki from Cebu. My tank is a 4’x2’x2’ with 6 wrasses and only 3 species are known for getting along, The Lubbock’s with the flasher and the radiant.
Yep. But the similar species thing is a good general rule. My biggest mess-up was adding two helichores wrasses in a hortulanus and a melanarus. Long story short I lost three fish to that mistake.Absolute chaos!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. But the similar species thing is a good general rule. My biggest mess-up was adding two helichores wrasses in a hortulanus and a melanarus. Long story short I lost three fish to that mistake.Absolute chaos!
The issue there isn’t how you had two similar wrasses but you had an aggressive Halichoeres and a moderately aggressive Halichoeres.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue there isn’t how you had two similar wrasses but you had an aggressive Halichoeres and a moderately aggressive Halichoeres.
Know that now. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
At the time I trusted liveaquaria "peaceful" label and my LFS was happy to make a sale and didn't warn me either.

But I do disagree with you slightly. The melanarus has only ever been aggressive to one other fish ever and that was the hortulanus. And that includes other non-halichores wrasses.

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about adding a copperband butterfly to my tank. Presently I have a pair of clowns, blue tang and a one spot Foxface in a 125 gallon tank. Tank is about two years old with everything doing well. I’ve used nudibranch in the past to get rid of aiptasia and I thought it was gone. I’m seeing quite a bit o it and copperband fish will eat it apparently. I’m sure there’s lots of other good things in the tank for it to find as well.

I have some (some, I wish) Xenia, frog spawn, hammer, zoanthid garden, pocillipora, montipora and green star polyp corals as well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about adding a copperband butterfly to my tank. Presently I have a pair of clowns, blue tang and a one spot Foxface in a 125 gallon tank. Tank is about two years old with everything doing well. I’ve used nudibranch in the past to get rid of aiptasia and I thought it was gone. I’m seeing quite a bit o it and copperband fish will eat it apparently. I’m sure there’s lots of other good things in the tank for it to find as well.

I have some (some, I wish) Xenia, frog spawn, hammer, zoanthid garden, pocillipora, montipora and green star polyp corals as well.
The CBB isn’t going to always eat aiptasia so I wouldn’t get it just for that reason. You should be alright however aggression may occur from the resident Blue Hippo so keep an eye out for that. A way to slow this down is by adding a fish along with the CBB to disperse aggression so the hippo can’t go for just one fish.

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CBB isn’t going to always eat aiptasia so I wouldn’t get it just for that reason. You should be alright however aggression may occur from the resident Blue Hippo so keep an eye out for that. A way to slow this down is by adding a fish along with the CBB to disperse aggression so the hippo can’t go for just one fish.
What about vermitid snails? CBB do anything with those?

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a new 32 Gallon Biocube. Used live sand, wet live rock, Nutriwater, and a bottle of Tims so my cycle ended after only a couple weeks and my parameters have reminded stable. Got 5 snails, a Banggai Cardinal, and a Orange Skunk Clownfish pair and so far they are all doing really well.

On to my issue. I got a lot of hitchhiker bristleworms from my live rock. Like dozens of them. Maybe 50+....a...lot... Lol worse yet I have caught them attacking my snails. 3 of them even managed to kill one yesterday. No they are not fireworms. They are small only .5-2" long and the colors are all off.

So while looking at my local pet store recently I saw that they have 3 Orchid Dottybacks and a Sixline Wrasse. I know both of these fish have the potential to be aggressive, but which do you think would be better for my tank with it's current inhabitants? I know they both will eat bristleworms. I would prefer the Orchid Dottyback for appearance sake, but perhaps the Wrasse would be better for some reason.

Thoughts?

I don't plan to add this fish till the 22nd as I feel like I have already pushed my bioload to it's current limit while keeping my parameters stable.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a new 32 Gallon Biocube. Used live sand, wet live rock, Nutriwater, and a bottle of Tims so my cycle ended after only a couple weeks and my parameters have reminded stable. Got 5 snails, a Banggai Cardinal, and a Orange Skunk Clownfish pair and so far they are all doing really well.

On to my issue. I got a lot of hitchhiker bristleworms from my love rock. Like dozens of them. Maybe 50+....a...lot... Lol worse yet I have caught them attacking my snails. 3 of them even managed to kill one yesterday. No they are not fireworms. They are small only .5-2" long.

So while looking at my local pet store recently I saw that they have 3 Orchid Dottybacks and a Sixline Wrasse. I know both of these fish have the potential to be aggressive, but which do you think would be better for my tank with it's current inhabitants? I know they both will eat bristleworms. I would prefer the Orchid Dottyback for appearance sake, but perhaps the Wrasse would be better for some reason.

Thoughts?

I don't plan to add this fish till the 22nd as I feel like I have already pushed my bioload to it's currently limit while keeping my parameters stable.
The orchid is the most peaceful dottybacks so they’d be best, the six line… they’re just monsters all round.

Wyatt57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a new 55 gallon a week ago so just water sand and rock right now.
Coral in the far future. So what fish would good for this size tank? I am thinking about a a pair of clown fish and maybe a foxface but what else?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a new 55 gallon a week ago so just water sand and rock right now.
Coral in the far future. So what fish would good for this size tank? I am thinking about a a pair of clown fish and maybe a foxface but what else?

Foxface will outgrow that tank eventually

Look at:
-blenny or firefish
-royal gramma
- a species of goby
- Benggai or pajama cardinal

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks
This is tank number one maybe tank 2 will be big enough when the foxface gets that big
Feel like this guy writes some pretty solid articles on tank stocking:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back