Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The royal and the blackcap are closely related and pretty similar. And I don't think the blenny will mind. They swim a lot more than you'd think and like holes higher up in the rock work. My midas is the most active swimmer in my tank after the wrasse.
Thank you for your recommendations! I have 2 newcomers to the tank! Seem to be settling in nicely. 20220722_122801.jpg 20220722_122749.jpg

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Looking for some help on fish selection. I have a 20g IM fusion tank and I'm looking for suggestions on livestock. The only fish that MUST be in there are a pair of clowns. (stipulations of the deal made with the wife) What else, if anything, can I keep? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Looking for some help on fish selection. I have a 20g IM fusion tank and I'm looking for suggestions on livestock. The only fish that MUST be in there are a pair of clowns. (stipulations of the deal made with the wife) What else, if anything, can I keep? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
You can get a Goby of some species (I personally believe these are a must for any tank). You can always look at some commonly owned gobies - I have a couple in my Nano and one in my 4’ tank - and give us a list of the ones you quite like.

A couple examples I can give are:
- Cryptocentrus cinctus (Yellow Watchman Goby)
- Stonogobiops yasha (Yasha Goby)
- Gobiodon okinawae (Yellow Clown Goby)

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a Goby of some species (I personally believe these are a must for any tank). You can always look at some commonly owned gobies - I have a couple in my Nano and one in my 4’ tank - and give us a list of the ones you quite like.

A couple examples I can give are:
- Cryptocentrus cinctus (Yellow Watchman Goby)
- Stonogobiops yasha (Yasha Goby)
- Gobiodon okinawae (Yellow Clown Goby)

Ok. Are there any other goby options? How about non goby options? I'm trying to get as much info as possible before I decide.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a royal gramma, 2 clowns and a sapphire damsel in a 40 breeder. I am considering one or more Agile Chromis and Yellow Striped Cardinalfish. Thoughts?
You can but the damsel might be 50/50 on if it could get along with the chromis. The cardinal should be just fine though.
Ok. Are there any other goby options? How about non goby options? I'm trying to get as much info as possible before I decide.
There are many other goby options, they are just a few that are VERY common gobies for 20g tanks.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a species of firefish they're the perfect beginner fish for a nano IMO.
Or one of Biotas nano gobies. I really like my court jester goby and the starry goby is another good option. https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/collections/cultured-fish
+1 to these recommendations, these are also great ideas however the court jester (or even the Hectors) Goby needs a sand bed to thrive as that’s where they get their food from.
A few more recommendations are;
- Eviota atriventris
- Trimma cana
- Trimma striatum
- Trimma tevegae

There are tons from the Trimma and Eviota genera however again these are just the ones off the top of my head.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming this is your first tank? In that case I would do:
pair of clowns
royal gramma
lawnmower blenny/yellow watchman goby/firefish goby/clown goby <--- pick 1
pinkstreak or possum wrasse (Or 6-line but in a 20 gallon it's likely going to be a menace so I wouldn't recommend it)
Springer's damsel

The above list gives a good mix of colour, activity, and utility, with the wrasse and damsel being both active colourful fish as well as pest-eaters. 5 fish may be pushing it though, so I would skip the Springer's damsel unless the nutrient export is good enough to accomodate it.

Goby-wise I'd suggest the lawnmower blenny instead since it's a good algae eater. A starry blenny also works.

surlytx

Reefing Smarter, Not Harder (For Retirement)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about 1st fish for an IM Fusion 40 AIO. I really like these guys - Mexican barnacle blenny. Anyone have experience with them?

(Not my photo)
detail_10757_mexicanbarnacleblenny.jpg

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a species of firefish they're the perfect beginner fish for a nano IMO.
Or one of Biotas nano gobies. I really like my court jester goby and the starry goby is another good option. https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/collections/cultured-fish
Thanks for the info. Really like the starry goby.

+1 to these recommendations, these are also great ideas however the court jester (or even the Hectors) Goby needs a sand bed to thrive as that’s where they get their food from.
A few more recommendations are;
- Eviota atriventris
- Trimma cana
- Trimma striatum
- Trimma tevegae

There are tons from the Trimma and Eviota genera however again these are just the ones off the top of my head.
Thanks for the info. As far as having a sand bed, I'm planning on having one. Is there any thing particular they need along with the sand bed?

I'm assuming this is your first tank? In that case I would do:
pair of clowns
royal gramma
lawnmower blenny/yellow watchman goby/firefish goby/clown goby <--- pick 1
pinkstreak or possum wrasse (Or 6-line but in a 20 gallon it's likely going to be a menace so I wouldn't recommend it)
Springer's damsel

The above list gives a good mix of colour, activity, and utility, with the wrasse and damsel being both active colourful fish as well as pest-eaters. 5 fish may be pushing it though, so I would skip the Springer's damsel unless the nutrient export is good enough to accomodate it.

Goby-wise I'd suggest the lawnmower blenny instead since it's a good algae eater. A starry blenny also works.
You would be correct in your assumption. This is my first reef tank. Ok no damsel. Anything else? What about a dragonet? What would be the pros/cons?

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the info. As far as having a sand bed, I'm planning on having one. Is there any thing particular they need along with the sand bed?

You would be correct in your assumption. This is my first reef tank. Ok no damsel. Anything else? What about a dragonet? What would be the pros/cons?
dragonets need a huge population of copepods to survive. Even the captive bred ones graze constantly. I have a captive bred mandarin dragonet in a 32gallon but I add copepods every few months. She's captive bred and eats frozens/pellets, but it's not enough unless I want to feed 6+ times per day since they're grazers and have tiny stomachs.

If you're dead set on having one, I'd skip the wrasse too since they eat pods as well. I would also pick up a couple jars of pods from algaebarn and seed the tank with them. Then in a month or two grab a captive bred mandarin and try to get it to eat frozens/pellets/flakes ASAP. As long as it eats prepared/frozen foods readily and you feed 2-3 times per day you should be ok, but you'll have to add more pods every other month or so. Having lots of tiny crevices for the pods to breed where the mandarin can't get to it will help, but it won't be enough in a 20 gallon without replenishing stock regularly. Beautiful fish, though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They ideally need an established sand bed as well, I personally aim for Atleast 7 months if not a year for the smaller sandsifting gobies.

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're dead set on having one, I'd skip the wrasse too since they eat pods as well. I would also pick up a couple jars of pods from algaebarn and seed the tank with them. Then in a month or two grab a captive bred mandarin and try to get it to eat frozens/pellets/flakes ASAP. As long as it eats prepared/frozen foods readily and you feed 2-3 times per day you should be ok, but you'll have to add more pods every other month or so. Having lots of tiny crevices for the pods to breed where the mandarin can't get to it will help, but it won't be enough in a 20 gallon without replenishing stock regularly. Beautiful fish, though.
So if I were to go with the wrasse would I have to stock the tank with pods as well? I'm not dead set on anything. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can so I can limit my mistakes. I know there are plenty of pitfalls in this hobby. But I would like to avoid setting myself up for failure by starting out with the wrong fish. Thanks again for the info.

They ideally need an established sand bed as well, I personally aim for Atleast 7 months if not a year for the smaller sandsifting gobies.
Got it. Now it makes sense. So no sandsifting gobies to start. Again thanks for the info. Just trying to learn as much as I can.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I were to go with the wrasse would I have to stock the tank with pods as well? I'm not dead set on anything. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can so I can limit my mistakes. I know there are plenty of pitfalls in this hobby. But I would like to avoid setting myself up for failure by starting out with the wrong fish. Thanks again for the info.

Got it. Now it makes sense. So no sandsifting gobies to start. Again thanks for the info. Just trying to learn as much as I can.
nah the wrasse will do just fine without pods they eat pretty well anything but they will also pick off pods and other micro-organisms off the rocks/wall as that is what they do in the wild.

Sonatine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a question about some wrasses! Specifically the pink streaked or possum wrasse.

Tank is a 32.5g fluval flex, and it's still pretty new so I wouldn't be adding one for a while.

Current inhabitants are two ocellaris clowns. The other inhabitants aren't set in stone but will be something like:

Clown pair (already in tank)
Some sort of goby
orchid dottyback/other one of the less murderous dottybacks
(maybe) springer's damsel

Thinking six fish total should do it, added over several months.
I hear the pink streaked and possum wrasse are really docile. Would the clowns, damsel, and dottyback be too much aggression for either of them? Would I be better off with a blenny or something?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a question about some wrasses! Specifically the pink streaked or possum wrasse.

Tank is a 32.5g fluval flex, and it's still pretty new so I wouldn't be adding one for a while.

Current inhabitants are two ocellaris clowns. The other inhabitants aren't set in stone but will be something like:

Clown pair (already in tank)
Some sort of goby
orchid dottyback/other one of the less murderous dottybacks
(maybe) springer's damsel

Thinking six fish total should do it, added over several months.
I hear the pink streaked and possum wrasse are really docile. Would the clowns, damsel, and dottyback be too much aggression for either of them? Would I be better off with a blenny or something?
Honestly, unfortunately they all would in such a small tank. You ideally want peaceful inhabitants with these fish if there isn’t much territory. You’d also want to add them as one of the first instead of the last.

Sonatine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, unfortunately they all would in such a small tank. You ideally want peaceful inhabitants with these fish if there isn’t much territory. You’d also want to add them as one of the first instead of the last.
I thought that might be the case. It's a shame, but I'll probably give wrasses a pass for this tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back