Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Melvey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to hone livestock choices for a beginner tank. While I've found all sorts of tools and charts for beginner fishes, compatibility, etc.; I've come up empty-handed for habitat. Basically, I'm looking for a list/chart/image of fishes that like to hangout in or near the sand bed or bottom; ones that like to hide in the rocks or corals; and the free-swimmers that like to surf the waves. When choosing our beginner fish, we want to make sure our selections are distributed throughout the tank. Can anyone point me to anything like this?

Bonus points for a link to any articles or posts about the tank inhabitants with the most personality, preferably in a good way! :winking-face:

TAI,
Mel

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to hone livestock choices for a beginner tank. While I've found all sorts of tools and charts for beginner fishes, compatibility, etc.; I've come up empty-handed for habitat. Basically, I'm looking for a list/chart/image of fishes that like to hangout in or near the sand bed or bottom; ones that like to hide in the rocks or corals; and the free-swimmers that like to surf the waves. When choosing our beginner fish, we want to make sure our selections are distributed throughout the tank. Can anyone point me to anything like this?

Bonus points for a link to any articles or posts about the tank inhabitants with the most personality, preferably in a good way! :winking-face:

TAI,
Mel
Gobies1
Dragonets1
Hawkfish2
Jawfish2
Basslets3
Firefish/darters3
Blennies3
Dottyback3
Wrasse4
Clown4
Angels4
Chromis4
Butterfly4
Cardinals4
Chromis4
Damsel4
Filefish4
Foxface4
Squirell4
Anthias5
Puffers5
(my pretty color gradient didn't copy over :crying-face:)

1-Sticks to the sandbed
2-Sticks to near the sandbed or rocks
3-Within the rocks and sometimes free swimming
4-Free swimming and amongst rocks and corals
5-Top of the tank

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for personality I find wrasse, bennies, and hawks are the funnest while cardinals and squirrels do the least.

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for personality I find wrasse, bennies, and hawks are the funnest while cardinals and squirrels do the least.
To be fair to the fish, Cardinals and Squirrels are nocturnal and become much more active at night. During the day when we are watching our reef most of the time... Yeah they aren't doing much lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies1
Dragonets1
Hawkfish2
Jawfish2
Basslets3
Firefish/darters3
Blennies3
Dottyback3
Wrasse4
Clown4
Angels4
Chromis4
Butterfly4
Cardinals4
Chromis4
Damsel4
Filefish4
Foxface4
Squirell4
Anthias5
Puffers5
(my pretty color gradient didn't copy over :crying-face:)

1-Sticks to the sandbed
5-Top of the tank
Actually, I would swap the wrasses from a 4 to a 5, these guys really prefer their activity.
I would also put dragonets at a 2 as they don’t stay on the sandbed, only one species I know of will do this (Synchiropus sycorax), the rest will be all over the rockscape and sandbed.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I would swap the wrasses from a 4 to a 5, these guys really prefer their activity.
I would also put dragonets at a 2 as they don’t stay on the sandbed, only one species I know of will do this (Synchiropus sycorax), the rest will be all over the rockscape and sandbed.
Wrasses are hard as it seems to me that halichores prefer near the sand while Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus are at the top of tanks (at least in my tanks). But definitely right about dragonets.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 2.52.02 PM.png

*Depends on type of wrasse

1-Sticks to the sandbed
5-Top of the tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 2.52.02 PM.png

*Depends on type of wrasse

1-Sticks to the sandbed
5-Top of the tank
That seems more so correct, totally agree with it depending on the genus of wrasse from what I’ve seen and kept here’s what I’ve discovered:

The ones that enjoy staying close to the sandbed;
- Halichoeres
- Holygymnos

The ones that enjoy free swimming close to the Rocks and Sandbed;
- Pseudocheilinus
- Pseudocheilinops
- Wetmorella
- Macropharyngodon
- Pseudojuloides
- Anampses
- Pteragogus
- Xenojulis
- Terelabrus
- Labroides
- Bodianus

The ones that enjoy free swimming/open water:
- Xyrichtys
- Stethojulis
- Cirrhilabrus
- Paracheilinus
- Thalassoma
- Novaculichthys
- Hemigymnis
- Gomphosus
- Cheilinus
- Coris
- Cheilio
- Choerodon
- Diproctacanthus

The ones that enjoy sticking near coral;
- Pseudodax
- Larabicus
- Labropsis

Hope this helps people wondering what would be best for activity in certain areas :))
I believe the three genera that stay close to coral is due to them being corallivores. I also didn’t include Scaridae as these are larger species that aren’t kept very often to my knowledge. This is due to their size as well as their diet of Coral (To get hold of the symbiotic algae, Zooxanthellae as well as other microorganisms in or on the coral skeleton).

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Looking to replace my Exquisite Wrasse who decided to jump out last weekend, and a Diamond Goby that I lost a few months ago. Tank is an 80 gal display about 18 months old now, with current fish list:

Melanaurus
Yellow Corris
Foxface
Bellus Angel
Royal Gramma
Tomini Tang
Flame Hawkfish

Thinking about adding a couple of Springeri Damsels for a pop of blue to the tank. Any thoughts on whether 1 is better than 2, or if 2 would be too much for the tank given the other inhabitants? TIA

JohnA26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a year old reef tank 72 gallon, 1 flame tang, 1 coral Beaty, 1 clown, 4 pj cardinal, 1 yellow Coris wrasse, 1 young female mandarin, all sorts of clean up crew. I had a 6 line, but he became very aggressive so I got rid of him. We like the wrasse action and want more red in the tank. I have been thinking about a calmer wrasse, flasher or fairy, so it comes down to Carpenter or McCosker's.

Two questions:
1-Can this tank handle another pod eater?
2-What is the difference between McCosker's and Carpenter?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a year old reef tank 72 gallon, 1 flame tang, 1 coral Beaty, 1 clown, 4 pj cardinal, 1 yellow Coris wrasse, 1 young female mandarin, all sorts of clean up crew. I had a 6 line, but he became very aggressive so I got rid of him. We like the wrasse action and want more red in the tank. I have been thinking about a calmer wrasse, flasher or fairy, so it comes down to Carpenter or McCosker's.

Two questions:
1-Can this tank handle another pod eater?
2-What is the difference between McCosker's and Carpenter?
1-
Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus species are planktonic feeders and do not feed on pods. What I will warn you now is Paracheilinus are not calm wrasses, these guys love to swim and when they do they can be much more hyper than the wrasse you have now (And possibly even more so than the tang depending on the specimen).
2-
The biggest difference between males is how many elongated filaments they have. Paracheilinus carpenteri has I believe 9 to 10. Whereas Paracheilinus mccoskeri has 1 elongated filament. Another difference is in the colour of their anal fin, I believe mccoskeri has a more vibrant yellow in the anal fin.

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming this is your first tank? In that case I would do:
pair of clowns
royal gramma
lawnmower blenny/yellow watchman goby/firefish goby/clown goby <--- pick 1
pinkstreak or possum wrasse (Or 6-line but in a 20 gallon it's likely going to be a menace so I wouldn't recommend it)
Springer's damsel

The above list gives a good mix of colour, activity, and utility, with the wrasse and damsel being both active colourful fish as well as pest-eaters. 5 fish may be pushing it though, so I would skip the Springer's damsel unless the nutrient export is good enough to accomodate it.

Goby-wise I'd suggest the lawnmower blenny instead since it's a good algae eater. A starry blenny also works.

So based on the quoted post I think I've narrowed my fish choices down to the following:
Clownfish pair
Royal gramma
Purple firefish
Springers Damsel

Any one see any issues with my choices? Should I change anything? What CUC do you folks suggest?

I have a 20g Fusion tank. Looking to make it an LPS/softie tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So based on the quoted post I think I've narrowed my fish choices down to the following:
Clownfish pair
Royal gramma
Purple firefish
Springers Damsel

Any one see any issues with my choices? Should I change anything? What CUC do you folks suggest?

I have a 20g Fusion tank. Looking to make it an LPS/softie tank.
Don’t do the fire fish, these are skittish as it is and with aggressive tank mates in a small tank it will remain even more so skittish.
As for 20g… 4 aggressive fish is pushing the limits IMHO. The clowns and the damsels being closely related most likely will not do well in a small tank together.

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Looking to replace my Exquisite Wrasse who decided to jump out last weekend, and a Diamond Goby that I lost a few months ago. Tank is an 80 gal display about 18 months old now, with current fish list:

Melanaurus
Yellow Corris
Foxface
Bellus Angel
Royal Gramma
Tomini Tang
Flame Hawkfish

Thinking about adding a couple of Springeri Damsels for a pop of blue to the tank. Any thoughts on whether 1 is better than 2, or if 2 would be too much for the tank given the other inhabitants? TIA
Anyone with thoughts on a pair vs just one Springeri Damsel?

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do the fire fish, these are skittish as it is and with aggressive tank mates in a small tank it will remain even more so skittish.
As for 20g… 4 aggressive fish is pushing the limits IMHO. The clowns and the damsels being closely related most likely will not do well in a small tank together.

So maybe a blenny instead of the firefish? Should I then just leave out the damsel or replace it with something else?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 90 gallon 4 foot tank and I am looking to add some “character” fish. I have 2 species in mind. A Jawfish, Yasha Goby pair, and Dracula goby/Pistol shrimp pair. Now I have some questions, and 1 big question: Will they get along?! Im thinking on having a big pvc cave with a rock “door” for the jawfish on the left side of the tank, the Yasha goby pair on the back middle/right side of the tank, and the goby/pistol shrimp pair on the front right of the tank. If this does work I’m planning on adding the Jawfish first, then yasha, then goby/pistol. I’m worried the jawfish will be aggressive towards the yasha, even though they will be on opposite sides of the tank. Will the Jawfish attack the goby/pistol shrimp pair if they decide to explore away from their designated cave? I’ve heard horror stories where both parties will attack and kill each other if they do something the other doesn’t like, especially since the jawfish’s cave is going to be quite big I don’t want the shrimp and goby to go in there thinking it’s big enough for them, and not knowing there is a jawfish in there. Will the goby/shrimp pair attack the Yasha pair? I want to have designated caves for them but I know I can’t stop them from moving homes. Will the fact that the goby/pistol shrimp and the Yasha goby pair have natural rock/sand caves lower the need to change homes? I also have an angelfish in there and I’m a little worried about how it will interact with the shrimp if he sees him just far out enough from the shrimp‘s cave. If tried other shrimp before, and they never last 24 hours. Could he eat him? Will the shrimp cause an injury to the angelfish if it tries to protect himself? Anyone have experience with some of my questoons? All comments appreciated.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 90 gallon 4 foot tank and I am looking to add some “character” fish. I have 2 species in mind. A Jawfish, Yasha Goby pair, and Dracula goby/Pistol shrimp pair. Now I have some questions, and 1 big question: Will they get along?! Im thinking on having a big pvc cave with a rock “door” for the jawfish on the left side of the tank, the Yasha goby pair on the back middle/right side of the tank, and the goby/pistol shrimp pair on the front right of the tank. If this does work I’m planning on adding the Jawfish first, then yasha, then goby/pistol. I’m worried the jawfish will be aggressive towards the yasha, even though they will be on opposite sides of the tank. Will the Jawfish attack the goby/pistol shrimp pair if they decide to explore away from their designated cave? I’ve heard horror stories where both parties will attack and kill each other if they do something the other doesn’t like, especially since the jawfish’s cave is going to be quite big I don’t want the shrimp and goby to go in there thinking it’s big enough for them, and not knowing there is a jawfish in there. Will the goby/shrimp pair attack the Yasha pair? I want to have designated caves for them but I know I can’t stop them from moving homes. Will the fact that the goby/pistol shrimp and the Yasha goby pair have natural rock/sand caves lower the need to change homes? I also have an angelfish in there and I’m a little worried about how it will interact with the shrimp if he sees him just far out enough from the shrimp‘s cave. If tried other shrimp before, and they never last 24 hours. Could he eat him? Will the shrimp cause an injury to the angelfish if it tries to protect himself? Anyone have experience with some of my questoons? All comments appreciated.
I’d suggest the opposite order maybe. Pistol shrimp goby pairs are often quite shy and I think it may be best to let them establish a home. Adding multiple burrowing/bottom of tank species is always a risk. Your tank is fairly big and may have enough space for all of them but maybe not. Jawfish are known to bully gobies.
The angelfish lives in a completely different niche so I doubt there will be any conflict. What species of angelfish? I’ve never seen angelfish eat shrimp but that’s just me and I’ve never heard of pistol shrimp injuring fish.
Also jawfish often require a cooler tank they live off the western coast of the US where the waters are cooler. I’m considering getting a blue spot jawfish and Catalina gobies (the most magnificent of gobies) in a tank with a chiller. I’d research the best temperature range for all your fish and see if you can find something that works for all your fish.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back