Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d suggest the opposite order maybe. Pistol shrimp goby pairs are often quite shy and I think it may be best to let them establish a home. Adding multiple burrowing/bottom of tank species is always a risk. Your tank is fairly big and may have enough space for all of them but maybe not. Jawfish are known to bully gobies.
The angelfish lives in a completely different niche so I doubt there will be any conflict. What species of angelfish? I’ve never seen angelfish eat shrimp but that’s just me and I’ve never heard of pistol shrimp injuring fish.
Also jawfish often require a cooler tank they live off the western coast of the US where the waters are cooler. I’m considering getting a blue spot jawfish and Catalina gobies (the most magnificent of gobies) in a tank with a chiller. I’d research the best temperature range for all your fish and see if you can find something that works for all your fish.
Thx. I really appreciate your answer. Would you suggest that, since it is better for the goby/shrimp pair to be put in first, add the pvc cave after them and only when I get the Jawfish? I really don’t want the big cave to go towards the shrimp and the goby, (sorry little guys). Will the fact that each of the 3 caves will be fairly distanced? The Jawfish cave I’m planning would be over 3’ away from the Yashas, and the Yashas would be about 20” from the shrimp/goby, and the Jawfish over 2’ away from the goby/shrimp. The angelfish I have is a mix between a Phantom and a Black Velvet. He’s about 5” rn. I’m just skeptical since he really likes to eat shrimp. Angels quite commonly eat shrimp and other crustaceans, at least the ones I have seen and know of. I’ve seen in person a pistol shrimp injuring a small fish, and worry the shrimp might shock the angel and start poking at him. As for the temp I have researched and been told different Jawfish like differing temps. The two option I’m looking at are Yellow head and Blue Dot. Yellow-head likes warmer waters and Blue Dots like cooler waters. My tank paramaters ie temperature is suited for Sps and is at 78 rn. In warmer months the temp may go up a degree and in colder months go down a degree, but nothing drastic. Would you think this is too warm for Blue Dots? Some people say definitely too warm while others say their Blue Dots’ like the warmer water. Will the fact that the Jawfish’s burrow will be deep in the sand (about 6”) lower the temp a little more to the fish’s liking?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx. I really appreciate your answer. Would you suggest that, since it is better for the goby/shrimp pair to be put in first, add the pvc cave after them and only when I get the Jawfish? I really don’t want the big cave to go towards the shrimp and the goby, (sorry little guys). Will the fact that each of the 3 caves will be fairly distanced? The Jawfish cave I’m planning would be over 3’ away from the Yashas, and the Yashas would be about 20” from the shrimp/goby, and the Jawfish over 2’ away from the goby/shrimp. The angelfish I have is a mix between a Phantom and a Black Velvet. He’s about 5” rn. I’m just skeptical since he really likes to eat shrimp. Angels quite commonly eat shrimp and other crustaceans, at least the ones I have seen and know of. I’ve seen in person a pistol shrimp injuring a small fish, and worry the shrimp might shock the angel and start poking at him. As for the temp I have researched and been told different Jawfish like differing temps. The two option I’m looking at are Yellow head and Blue Dot. Yellow-head likes warmer waters and Blue Dots like cooler waters. My tank paramaters ie temperature is suited for Sps and is at 78 rn. In warmer months the temp may go up a degree and in colder months go down a degree, but nothing drastic. Would you think this is too warm for Blue Dots? Some people say definitely too warm while others say their Blue Dots’ like the warmer water. Will the fact that the Jawfish’s burrow will be deep in the sand (about 6”) lower the temp a little more to the fish’s liking?

So for pipes I put a bunch of pipes in for my snake eels but added a couple 6” engineer gobies first because they were supposed to be shy. Now one of them is refusing to leave the 6’ pipe for my snake eel and now the snake is in a 2.5’ pipe it doesn’t quite fit in so I’d suggest adding the pipe later with the jaw. To bury it I’d remove or move the sand then put in the pipe and replace the sand. Burying it is very difficult otherwise. Or since your adding a few burrowing fish you may want to try a finer sand. Though I assume an sps tank has too high flow? Just thought I’d mention because I switched to Fiji pink for my snake eels and they are much happier than with special grade as burrowers.

My pistol goby pair hide in the back of the tank and I hardly ever see them so they feel harmless to me but idk.

I’ve wanted a blue dot for a while and my research suggested they are low to mid 70s fish and that higher than that will reduce their lifespan significantly. I know the blue dot is spectacular but 78 may be a bit too high for that species maybe?

I don’t know though not an expert obviously.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for pipes I put a bunch of pipes in for my snake eels but added a couple 6” engineer gobies first because they were supposed to be shy. Now one of them is refusing to leave the 6’ pipe for my snake eel and now the snake is in a 2.5’ pipe it doesn’t quite fit in so I’d suggest adding the pipe later with the jaw. To bury it I’d remove or move the sand then put in the pipe and replace the sand. Burying it is very difficult otherwise. Or since your adding a few burrowing fish you may want to try a finer sand. Though I assume an sps tank has too high flow? Just thought I’d mention because I switched to Fiji pink for my snake eels and they are much happier than with special grade as burrowers.

My pistol goby pair hide in the back of the tank and I hardly ever see them so they feel harmless to me but idk.

I’ve wanted a blue dot for a while and my research suggested they are low to mid 70s fish and that higher than that will reduce their lifespan significantly. I know the blue dot is spectacular but 78 may be a bit too high for that species maybe?

Ok. Ill try that then. Is there a way that I can sort of designate where I want the Goby/pistol shrimp pair to be? It doesn’t really matter to me where they decide to make their home as long as they stay on the right side, because I kinda need them to. There is no space big enough or deep enough for the Jawfish other than the left side. Will their be any potential issues if the goby/pistol shrimp decide to be on the left side? I think spacing might be an issue if the Jawfish and the goby/shrimp are on the left side.

The sand I currently have is also Fiji Pink. It hasn’t caused too much trouble, and I have 4 soon to be 5 power-heads in there. I’ve had some experience with sand sifting creatures before and I find this sand very recommendable.

I have also read that and that’s why Im leaning towards the Yellow Pearly-Headed Jawfish instead of the Blue Dot. I will keep digging though and I’ll like to give it a try with a Blue Dot but only if the price is right. (I don’t mean cost).

Do you have any recommendations regarding the type of pistol shrimp? Any preferences? Thx

Breezie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, Working on a stocking list for my 32 gallon biocube- running AI Prime 16 and refugium in back:

Current inhabitants:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 royal gramma
1 fire shrimp
8 rock flower nems (they have their own rock)
4 mushrooms
1 hammer
Decent CUC of 4 blue leg hermits, Dawrf Cerith, Nassarius Vibex, Florida Cerith, Astraea, and Nerites

Thinking about adding:
Watchman Goby/pistol shrimp combo (have lots of amphipods and hoping they'll snack on them)
Midas Blenny
Bubble tip nem

What's the thoughts on this stocking list?

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blue spot jawfish is my dream fish. Had one on hold at my LFS that unfortunately died before I could pick it up. :( I asked my LFS owner about water temp for them because my tank runs 78-79. He said they obviously can be fine in "typical" temps like that, but I didn't get into it with him about whether that will reduce their lifespan... so not sure on that. Still hoping to have one someday.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Ill try that then. Is there a way that I can sort of designate where I want the Goby/pistol shrimp pair to be? It doesn’t really matter to me where they decide to make their home as long as they stay on the right side, because I kinda need them to. There is no space big enough or deep enough for the Jawfish other than the left side. Will their be any potential issues if the goby/pistol shrimp decide to be on the left side? I think spacing might be an issue if the Jawfish and the goby/shrimp are on the left side.

The sand I currently have is also Fiji Pink. It hasn’t caused too much trouble, and I have 4 soon to be 5 power-heads in there. I’ve had some experience with sand sifting creatures before and I find this sand very recommendable.

I have also read that and that’s why Im leaning towards the Yellow Pearly-Headed Jawfish instead of the Blue Dot. I will keep digging though and I’ll like to give it a try with a Blue Dot but only if the price is right. (I don’t mean cost).

Do you have any recommendations regarding the type of pistol shrimp? Any preferences? Thx
Hmm.. maybe you could dig a little burrow and release them as close to the burrow as possible. I use a gloved hand to add most new things to the tank and you could do that with the shrimp. Be aware they move backwards better than forwards and will try to go for the closest cover. The goby will be harder though.
Looks like the candy stripe Alpheus Randalli is the best pair for a Dracula.

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another fish question. Tell me if there is anything wrong with this list of inhabitants.

Clownfish pair
Royal Gramma
Dracula or hi fin red banded goby

What do you think? Any substitutions? Any possible additions for a 20gal tank?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, Working on a stocking list for my 32 gallon biocube- running AI Prime 16 and refugium in back:

Current inhabitants:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 royal gramma
1 fire shrimp
8 rock flower nems (they have their own rock)
4 mushrooms
1 hammer
Decent CUC of 4 blue leg hermits, Dawrf Cerith, Nassarius Vibex, Florida Cerith, Astraea, and Nerites

Thinking about adding:
Watchman Goby/pistol shrimp combo (have lots of amphipods and hoping they'll snack on them)
Midas Blenny
Bubble tip nem

What's the thoughts on this stocking list?
Like the idea of the goby shrimp pair. Use this to help choose a sand dweller. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/true-vs-false…-what’s-the-difference.925479/

Midas Blenny's are very active and would fill the same niche as the royal gramma. I'd suggest a darter/fireish or a smaller species. But It could work and midas' are great.

Bubble tips do require a much more stable tank than rock flowers and do wander and sting more so be prepared. Elegance coral is an easier possible alternative but make sure its an Australian.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another fish question. Tell me if there is anything wrong with this list of inhabitants.

Clownfish pair
Royal Gramma
Dracula or hi fin red banded goby

What do you think? Any substitutions? Any possible additions for a 20gal tank?
Royal Gramma would eventually outgrow that tank. Think about a firefish species instead but 4 fish may be your limit for a tank that size. The gobies would be great for that tank. Think about some interesting shrimp like cleaners or pistol too.

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Gramma would eventually outgrow that tank. Think about a firefish species instead but 4 fish may be your limit for a tank that size. The gobies would be great for that tank. Think about some interesting shrimp like cleaners or pistol too.
The firefish instead of the gramma? I don't know if this matters but the tank is not a cube. its 24"l x 15"w x 13"h. That's still too small for the gramma? Can I put both of those gobies in the same tank?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The firefish instead of the gramma? I don't know if this matters but the tank is not a cube. its 24"l x 15"w x 13"h. That's still too small for the gramma? Can I put both of those gobies in the same tank?
Yes instead of. I worry the royal gramma will not get along with the clowns in a small tank. They do like having a ton of hidey holes amongst rocks and are very active. So if you do get one make sure it has a lot of rocks and caves.

Firefish are very underrated in my opinion. Even the common is immensely beautiful and they have good personalities.

No pick one goby or a mated pair maybe.

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes instead of. I worry the royal gramma will not get along with the clowns in a small tank. They do like having a ton of hidey holes amongst rocks and are very active. So if you do get one make sure it has a lot of rocks and caves.

Firefish are very underrated in my opinion. Even the common is immensely beautiful and they have good personalities.

No pick one goby or a mated pair maybe.
Is a purple firefish ok? Will it get along with the goby?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a purple firefish ok? Will it get along with the goby?
Yeah, they’re great. Though they’re technically gobies and they usually have a hole but they swim above it rather then living on the sand like other gobies. No issues with gobies.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help deciding group sizes of flashlight fish and pilot fish ty.
Thinking 5 flashlights and 3 pilots
D
hahahah I think this may go beyond the beginner forum level. But I’ll throw my unqualified hat in the ring.

Golden trevally - gnathanodon speciosus (what I’m assuming you mean by pilots) - are a powerful, fast, schooling, and most importantly massive fish. The more the merrier but also the more the more mayhem.
If you mean actual pilot fish - naucrates ductor - then I hope you have a shark tank complete with sharks and a spectacular supplier.

As for flashlight fish I don’t believe I’ve seen those in the wild or captivity but they sound peaceful and like to live in groups. So five sounds great if you can swing it.

If it was me I’d miss out on the “pilots” and go for a low light tank with sammara squirrelfish and your flashlight fish.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. maybe you could dig a little burrow and release them as close to the burrow as possible. I use a gloved hand to add most new things to the tank and you could do that with the shrimp. Be aware they move backwards better than forwards and will try to go for the closest cover. The goby will be harder though.
Looks like the candy stripe Alpheus Randalli is the best pair for a Dracula.
Thx. Yes I will definitely be weary of that, it’s happened to me before where I figured it would move forward but forget it moves backwards. I’ll try to add them as close to the burrow as possible. Thank you for the shrimp recommendation. Do you have any expertise in getting a shrimp/fish out of it’s burrow? In case they decide to make a home too close to the Jawfishs’?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Petcrazyson I wouldn’t say expertise but a fish trap may work if you put it on the bottom by the burrow. King of diy recently split a tank of his with eggcrate you’d have to add mesh to it since the goby and shrimp are so small but maybe that would help get them to setup where you want?

About 7:00

Last edited:

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke Ty.
Yes a little bit more advanced.
Tank is 4x4x2'
Currently has 3 lrg tangs.
3 sm tangs
5 sm silver monos
1 samuri squirrelfish
1 juvi bird wrasse
1 juvi cherub angle
1 orange toadfish

Next Thursday I'd like to order
1 highcomb tooth blenny black dark blue
2 samuri squirrelfish mediums
3 pilotfish sm
5 flashligh fish

My reef tank is mostly softy but its bright. Ya I know the pilots will reach 4ft and will be the biggest fish in tank one day.
D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back