Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am talking about golden Jack's.
D
Well I don't think its a good idea. That's an open water fish. I'd suggest you make your own thread but its already been done and this is the result:
But try if you want to. 3 would be the minimum for a school I'd say.

No shark is the reason I haven't tried a remora yet. Lol.
Or a sea robin. Would love to try a sea robin one day. Just not big enough tank for the sea robin or the shark. ":(
D
tempImagetki9M8.png
Now that's a fish I can get behind!!

Hebrewhammer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallon tank

1 occellaris clown (removed the other because it was too aggressive and the remaining clown is torn up, might add another to try and pair when this one is grown)

Royal gramma

Future additions
Diamond goby
Something else to swim near top of tank since I have lots of open space on the top like perhaps 2 cardinals or 2 chromis

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallon tank

1 occellaris clown (removed the other because it was too aggressive and the remaining clown is torn up, might add another to try and pair when this one is grown)

Royal gramma

Future additions
Diamond goby
Something else to swim near top of tank since I have lots of open space on the top like perhaps 2 cardinals or 2 chromis
I strongly suggest against the diamond goby:
  • They are bulldozers that go through a ton of sand often covering corals and other stuff you don't want covered
  • They have difficult feeding requirements relying on small organisms in the sand and often come in under fed
Its a relatively big sand sifter and will probably mess up your tank and starve. Not for a 30 gallon. They need a big and aged tank in my opinion.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/sand-sifting-gobies-true-vs-false…-what’s-the-difference.871/

Use that link to help you find a sand dwelling not sand sifting goby.

As for a top tank fish cardinals actually dwell rather low in the tank and chromis usually only thrive in big groups. I'd suggest a blenny from the genus Ecsenius. They sleep in the rocks but in my tank is the highest swimming fish throughout the day.

Last edited:

Slickzxz9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advice for sure!

Tank is 2 weeks old. Did the Turbo Start 900 and waited for zero ammonia. I started with 2 clowns, purple Dottyback, Sixline Wrasse and a Diamond Watchman Goby. All are healthy looking and eating daily. I have not had the lights on, but considering turning them on to get through this ugly phase I know is coming. My question is what fish next and when. I eventually want a few Tangs (yellow, blue, flame fin, bristle tooth) but not sure how many I can put in a 150G. Also, I heard to add them at the same time, but the yellow is hard to find. I can get the others locally, but would have to add the yellow later. As far as the "next fish", what should I get? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advice for sure!

Tank is 2 weeks old. Did the Turbo Start 900 and waited for zero ammonia. I started with 2 clowns, purple Dottyback, Sixline Wrasse and a Diamond Watchman Goby. All are healthy looking and eating daily. I have not had the lights on, but considering turning them on to get through this ugly phase I know is coming. My question is what fish next and when. I eventually want a few Tangs (yellow, blue, flame fin, bristle tooth) but not sure how many I can put in a 150G. Also, I heard to add them at the same time, but the yellow is hard to find. I can get the others locally, but would have to add the yellow later. As far as the "next fish", what should I get? Any recommendations? Thanks!
First things first slow down.
That's a lot of fish for such a young tank. If you add fish too quickly you'll overwhelm your bacteria and get an ammonia spike that could kill your fish. Also watch out for that diamond goby. As I said above they should be in an aged tank that has a lot of life in the sand. Try it on some sinking pellets or wafers.

As for fish you have a semi-aggressive tank so stick with fish that can handle themselves. Is this a reef tank or a fish only? Are you wanting inverts like shrimp? How often will/can you feed?

Slickzxz9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of fish for such a young tank. If you add fish too quickly you'll overwhelm your bacteria and get an ammonia spike that could kill your fish. Also watch out for that diamond goby. As I said above they should be in an aged tank that has a lot of life in the sand. Try it on some sinking pellets or wafers.

As for fish you have a semi-aggressive tank so stick with fish that can handle themselves. Is this a reef tank or a fish only? Are you wanting inverts like shrimp? How often will/can you feed?
Got it. I started with the recommendation from the guy at the LFS. I plan for it to be a reef tank. My ORP was barely over 200 before I added the fish, not I have gradual increases daily (at 264 currently). Are the sinking pellets to feed, or to decay and help bacterial growth, or both? I read that about the goby but already had him. Absolutely makes sense on having him in a more mature tank. Now that I have him, are the pellets the answer in the short term?

Slickzxz9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Forgot to answer all questions. Yes, I plan on shrimp to help on the CUC. I currently feed once day in the evening.

Slickzxz9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my Ph is around 7.7, and will not rise above 8.0. I read to let it be with a new tank and eventually it will stabilize.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I started with the recommendation from the guy at the LFS. I plan for it to be a reef tank. My ORP was barely over 200 before I added the fish, not I have gradual increases daily (at 264 currently). Are the sinking pellets to feed, or to decay and help bacterial growth, or both? I read that about the goby but already had him. Absolutely makes sense on having him in a more mature tank. Now that I have him, are the pellets the answer in the short term?
For feeding. It will kinda suck on them till they dissolve mine loved mini-algae wafers even though its carnivorous (algae wafers are still mostly fish protein). You can also add pods. Those will both feed the goby and help you with the uglies.

Tangs are quite sensitive so wait for the pH to rise before adding.

Other fish to consider:
  • Foxface
  • Anthias (they need 3+ feeding per pay though)
  • Fairy wrasse
  • Basslet such as royal gramma
  • Hawkfish (may eat shrimp)
  • Reef safe angel

Wyatt57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am asking this because the lfs only had one occellaris clown and multiple tomato clown. Should I put a pair of occellaris clowns and a pair of tomato clowns in a newly cycling 55 gallon tank. Cycling is going good and ready for first fish.
I did not buy the tomato clown because I did not know if i could later add the occellaris clown.

Slickzxz9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For feeding. It will kinda suck on them till they dissolve mine loved mini-algae wafers even though its carnivorous (algae wafers are still mostly fish protein). You can also add pods. Those will both feed the goby and help you with the uglies.

Tangs are quite sensitive so wait for the pH to rise before adding.

Other fish to consider:
  • Foxface
  • Anthias (they need 3+ feeding per pay though)
  • Fairy wrasse
  • Basslet such as royal gramma
  • Hawkfish (may eat shrimp)
  • Reef safe angel
I have been looking at the Foxface and Royal Grammas. The Angels have been top on my list also (flame or coral beauty). I have 5 in there now so going to wait a while. Checking ammonia often to make sure the bacteria can hold up. Still new and still learning.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at the Foxface and Royal Grammas. The Angels have been top on my list also (flame or coral beauty). I have 5 in there now so going to wait a while. Checking ammonia often to make sure the bacteria can hold up. Still new and still learning.
No worries. One big advantage of a big tank is that it can take an increase in bio load much better than a small one.
I'd just advise you to do some solo research about a fish before buying. Make a list of what you want and plan out the order. Use the LFS for advice but make sure to either get a second neutral opinion or do some good googling.

Also if you want some more advice; make a thread of your own. Not many people check this thread and I'm just a hobbiest myself. For example tangs are not something I'm well acquainted with. The general rule is to go with different genus' to lessen aggression and to eat different types of algae. So to answer one of your original question. Yellow, genus zebrasoma, is good. Blue, genus paracanthurus, may outgrow tank. I believe the flame fin is a Tomini tang which is a bristletooth (ctenochaetus) tang. Don't get two bristletooth tangs. If you want a fourth, which may be too many, go with a different genus.

Slickzxz9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. One big advantage of a big tank is that it can take an increase in bio load much better than a small one.
I'd just advise you to do some solo research about a fish before buying. Make a list of what you want and plan out the order. Use the LFS for advice but make sure to either get a second neutral opinion or do some good googling.

Also if you want some more advice; make a thread of your own. Not many people check this thread and I'm just a hobbiest myself. For example tangs are not something I'm well acquainted with. The general rule is to go with different genus' to lessen aggression and to eat different types of algae. So to answer one of your original question. Yellow, genus zebrasoma, is good. Blue, genus paracanthurus, may outgrow tank. I believe the flame fin is a Tomini tang which is a bristletooth (ctenochaetus) tang. Don't get two bristletooth tangs. If you want a fourth, which may be too many, go with a different genus.
Wow! Absolutely great info! I've researched several fish but I am learning (through this forum) of many other great options. I had no clue about the Fox Face, now I want to add one to my list :) I'll check out the link below and maybe start a new thread. Thanks Slocke!!

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schooling Banner Fish??
Thinking about adding some more fish to the mix … and would like to hear any personal experiences from the fine folks here regarding Schooling Banner Fish.

What I have:
240g 6'L 24"H 30"D
Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Firefish, Bangai Cardinal, Flame Hawk, Flame Angel and 3 Percula Clowns
Softies; Assorted Zoanthids, Green Sinularia, Lettuce coral, Hammer and Frogspawn
2 (unknown) Acroporas
2 Rose Bubble Tip Anemones (that have been happily residing in their spots for over a year)

Thanks!

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just began cycling a 13.5 gallon, but I still have no live rock.

I’m planning on keeping soft corals and possibly a reef safe urchin (maybe)

which fish would suit this setup the best?
and how long should I allow the tank to cycle?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just began cycling a 13.5 gallon, but I still have no live rock.

I’m planning on keeping soft corals and possibly a reef safe urchin (maybe)

which fish would suit this setup the best?
and how long should I allow the tank to cycle?

A small goby like one of these:
clown goby
small shrimp goby like the yasha
neon goby
starry goby

Cycling depends on method: You can skip it by buying cycled rock at a fish store or through a bottle of bacteria. Or you can do the long way and get dry rock and dose ammonia. That will take about 2 weeks.

As for corals: I'd go with zoanthids as they're fairly easy and come in every color, Nepthea as its an easy leather but far prettier than most leathers, and maybe a toadstool or some easy mushrooms. Xenia and GSP are also great starters but may overgrow a tank.

Urchins eat a ton of Algea so wait till your rocks get covered. Tuxedo Urchins are the obvious choice.

Sonatine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I'm actually posting in the right thread...

Is a bicolor blenny more likely to be aggressive towards a royal gramma than an orchid dottyback? My impression is that their aggression is driven more by shape and behavior than by color but I thought I'd double check. I personally like both fish, and I'd be terribly upset if I got one and my blenny decided to kill it.

The dottyback seems a bit more likely to stand up for itself (tankmates will be the blenny, a springer's damsel, and clowns). But I don't want to put too much aggression in my tank, and the royal gramma has a much better reputation for playing nice, though I know aggression can happen in almost any species. I think I've got enough rockwork for another territory, but either way I should probably get one of them in soon, before the blenny or damsel decide that the entirety of my rockwork belongs to them.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I'm actually posting in the right thread...

Is a bicolor blenny more likely to be aggressive towards a royal gramma than an orchid dottyback? My impression is that their aggression is driven more by shape and behavior than by color but I thought I'd double check. I personally like both fish, and I'd be terribly upset if I got one and my blenny decided to kill it.

The dottyback seems a bit more likely to stand up for itself (tankmates will be the blenny, a springer's damsel, and clowns). But I don't want to put too much aggression in my tank, and the royal gramma has a much better reputation for playing nice, though I know aggression can happen in almost any species. I think I've got enough rockwork for another territory, but either way I should probably get one of them in soon, before the blenny or damsel decide that the entirety of my rockwork belongs to them.
Blennies are pretty good except for with other blennies and firefish. But I’d go with the gramma as they stand up for themselves without being as aggressive themselves.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back