Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Sonatine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies are pretty good except for with other blennies and firefish. But I’d go with the gramma as they stand up for themselves without being as aggressive themselves.

I went with the royal gramma! Everyone's been very well behaved so far; hopefully that continues as they settle in.

My LFS had both the royal gramma and an orchid dottyback, but their dottyback was housed in a tank with a springer's damsel that was about the size of mine, and that dottyback was a total jerk to the poor damsel. It helped my decision along, I think. Thanks for the suggestion!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes mine -- looking to get 2-4 (max) more fish.
Goals are:
-- all get along including the 2 fish I already have (if possible)
-- easy/beginner/hardy fish
-- won't pick at soft corals

40 gallon running 11 months with most everything (except corals) transferred from 37 gallon that had been running about 7 months.

Current livestock is:
-- only two fish; bicolor blenny and clownfish (Darwin Ocellaris, best guess) <-- best buds so hoping not to mess that up too much
-- mostly inverts; pincushion urchin, skunk cleaner shrimp, tiger sand conch, Fromia star, nassarius/astaea snails, etc.
-- soft corals; 6 zoas, 2 ricordea Florida

My initial thoughts:
-- Firefish
-- Pajama cardinal (maybe a pair)
*thought about Bangaii cardinal but worried about invert compatibility plus PJ sounds maybe hardier
-- Another clown to pair
*a little scared of the results here -- had my clown about 1.5 years since it was TINY,,, went from passive to "attacker of hand in tank" some time back,,, so I assume it's female now

Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes mine -- looking to get 2-4 (max) more fish.
Goals are:
-- all get along including the 2 fish I already have (if possible)
-- easy/beginner/hardy fish
-- won't pick at soft corals

40 gallon running 11 months with most everything (except corals) transferred from 37 gallon that had been running about 7 months.

Current livestock is:
-- only two fish; bicolor blenny and clownfish (Darwin Ocellaris, best guess) <-- best buds so hoping not to mess that up too much
-- mostly inverts; pincushion urchin, skunk cleaner shrimp, tiger sand conch, Fromia star, nassarius/astaea snails, etc.
-- soft corals; 6 zoas, 2 ricordea Florida

My initial thoughts:
-- Firefish
-- Pajama cardinal (maybe a pair)
*thought about Bangaii cardinal but worried about invert compatibility plus PJ sounds maybe hardier
-- Another clown to pair
*a little scared of the results here -- had my clown about 1.5 years since it was TINY,,, went from passive to "attacker of hand in tank" some time back,,, so I assume it's female now

Thoughts/comments/suggestions?
Firefish are sometimes incompatible with blennies unfortunately. I've never had issues but usually its best to add the firefish first as they are cowards.
Pajama and Benggai are about the same neither have any problems with inverts. Just make sure they're captive bred as they'll be hardier that way. They aren't the most exciting fish but if you get a pair they may breed which is interesting as they are mouth brooders.
If you're clown is a female than you want to find a smaller clown. That should stop any dominance fights. Especially if significantly smaller.

Other suggestions:
Royal Gramma
A small wrasse like a possum or pink streaked
A goby like a clown, Sasha, yellow watchman etc
(The last two need a sand bed)

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish are sometimes incompatible with blennies unfortunately. I've never had issues but usually its best to add the firefish first as they are cowards.
Pajama and Benggai are about the same neither have any problems with inverts. Just make sure they're captive bred as they'll be hardier that way. They aren't the most exciting fish but if you get a pair they may breed which is interesting as they are mouth brooders.
If you're clown is a female than you want to find a smaller clown. That should stop any dominance fights. Especially if significantly smaller.

Other suggestions:
Royal Gramma
A small wrasse like a possum or pink streaked
A goby like a clown, Sasha, yellow watchman etc
(The last two need a sand bed)
Thanks for the tips.

Bummer on the blenny/firefish thing 'cause I really like the way firefish look -- blenny's new favorite hangout is barnacle cluster that I recently stuffed on the side of the tank, near the back, for lack of anywhere better to fit it. (Structure on OPPOSITE side of tank has a secluded cave so was thinking that would be safe getaway but will have to think about that more, I guess).

Royal Gramma looks too similar (color pattern) to bicolor blenny and they just don't "do it" for me but thanks for the recommendation.

Considered a small wrasse but shied away as thought I'd read they can be aggressive and maybe even pick at corals but will do some more reading.

I like the looks of Bangaii cardinal but thought I'd read that PJ were hardier and that Bangaii would go after inverts, especially shrimp. (My cleaner shrimp is pretty massive, I'd say, so probably safe)
... will reconsider Bangaii ,,, thanks again

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips.

Bummer on the blenny/firefish thing 'cause I really like the way firefish look -- blenny's new favorite hangout is barnacle cluster that I recently stuffed on the side of the tank, near the back, for lack of anywhere better to fit it. (Structure on OPPOSITE side of tank has a secluded cave so was thinking that would be safe getaway but will have to think about that more, I guess).

Royal Gramma looks too similar (color pattern) to bicolor blenny and they just don't "do it" for me but thanks for the recommendation.

Considered a small wrasse but shied away as thought I'd read they can be aggressive and maybe even pick at corals but will do some more reading.

I like the looks of Bangaii cardinal but thought I'd read that PJ were hardier and that Bangaii would go after inverts, especially shrimp. (My cleaner shrimp is pretty massive, I'd say, so probably safe)
... will reconsider Bangaii ,,, thanks again
Blennies love barnacles!

Benggai's and pajama's are harmless to inverts and wrasses don't eat corals. Some wrasses are considered not reef safe because they flip rocks or eat shrimp but not the ones I suggested. If you see a wrasse picking at corals its not eating the coral but a invert hiding amongst the coral. Often times a pest that is attacking corals. Wrasses are generally a good fish for a reef not a bad.

There are also other fish that are quite similar to the royal gramma such as chalk bass.

If I can make a suggestion for research:
I start my research at: https://www.liveaquaria.com for quick stats
Then move to: https://www.saltwateraquariumblog.com for a longer neutral guide

Finally there are some experts on here who write good articles and threads like this recent one from I Can't Think about the pink streaked: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pseudocheilinops-ataenia-the-wrasse-with-bug-eyes.881/

boatguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a couple of dragonets (a green mandarin & a red dragonette) who are quite happy and getting an extra supply of pods from a pod farm in my garage. I would like to add a yellow watchman goby. I have plenty of room and lots of rock work. The part I cannot figure out is what the new addition will do to the pod population? Nothing at all or perhaps a small fish battle? Not sure as I have read that the watchman will eat Mysis and etc.
Tank is a waterbox 90 gal fish load is 2 tangs, flame angel, aptasia file fish, clown and a lot of corals and of course the 2 dragonettes.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a couple of dragonets (a green mandarin & a red dragonette) who are quite happy and getting an extra supply of pods from a pod farm in my garage. I would like to add a yellow watchman goby. I have plenty of room and lots of rock work. The part I cannot figure out is what the new addition will do to the pod population? Nothing at all or perhaps a small fish battle? Not sure as I have read that the watchman will eat Mysis and etc.
Tank is a waterbox 90 gal fish load is 2 tangs, flame angel, aptasia file fish, clown and a lot of corals and of course the 2 dragonettes.
Yellow watchman will scavenge for food on the bottom of the tank but not really go after pods. They're not sand sifters. I don't think you'll have any issues.

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 14 gallon cube. Currently have 2 clowns 1 orange and 1 black ocellaris. I really would like a 6 line wrasse. Had one in my old tank years ago. Does everyone think there will be enough territory for the three. Currently the female clown will swim throughout the tank. Black one will follow along but you can tell he wants to be back home. She also built a little nest in the sand, center left between the rock work.
No skimmer. Tunze comline 3162 filter.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 14 gallon cube. Currently have 2 clowns 1 orange and 1 black ocellaris. I really would like a 6 line wrasse. Had one in my old tank years ago. Does everyone think there will be enough territory for the three. Currently the female clown will swim throughout the tank. Black one will follow along but you can tell he wants to be back home. She also built a little nest in the sand, center left between the rock work.
No skimmer. Tunze comline 3162 filter.

That would be a tight fit. How about their smaller cousins the pink streaked wrasse, Pseudocheilinops ataenia? https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pseudocheilinops-ataenia-the-wrasse-with-bug-eyes.881/

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think I’ve ever seen that wrasse. I’m happy with just the clowns. Just always liked my old 6 line. Guess I’ll have to upgrade the tank later so I can get all the fish I want

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 15g cube with one clown. Wanting to add one or two more fish from the following:

clownfish
firefish
greissenger goby
Yasha goby

Current clown is still quite young so may be more accepting. Thanks!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go with a goby and one of the clown or firefish. Firefish are beautiful but a breeding pair of clowns may be more interesting.

Shaady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 525xl red sea tank (110g display, 5ft long)

I currently have

2 clown
1 foxface
1 bristletooth tang
1 Midas blenny
1 yasha goby x shrimp pair
1 cleaner shrimp
1 yellow wrasse

I currently have a Lubbocks fairy wrasse on order.

Once I figure out of that's a good number of inhabitants I was also thinking of an earmuff wrasse.

1. Is a Lubbock a good choice? (Wanted something that hangs out higher in the tank.
2. Would all those wrasse get along fine?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 525xl red sea tank (110g display, 5ft long)

I currently have

2 clown
1 foxface
1 bristletooth tang
1 Midas blenny
1 yasha goby x shrimp pair
1 cleaner shrimp
1 yellow wrasse

I currently have a Lubbocks fairy wrasse on order.

Once I figure out of that's a good number of inhabitants I was also thinking of an earmuff wrasse.

1. Is a Lubbock a good choice? (Wanted something that hangs out higher in the tank.
2. Would all those wrasse get along fine?
1. I love fairy wrasse and yes they hang out at the top. I think the Lubbock is a great choice.

2. The earmuff is a halichores wrasse. They stay near the bottom. Generally two different genus will get along so you're all good there. The only issue is the earmuff may eat your inverts like the pistol. It probably won't but may.

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much right for my dt but I was wondering if blennys need sand in a qt. I'm receiving a striped blenny on Thursday and want to make sure he's comfortable in the qt system.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much right for my dt but I was wondering if blennys need sand in a qt. I'm receiving a striped blenny on Thursday and want to make sure he's comfortable in the qt system.
Sand no, blennies don't need sand. It would like a rock with holes big enough for it or barnacle clusters but for your dt some bits of PVC piping would work well.

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, i have a 70l (40liter net) tank, i am trying to understand what could i but in there.

For CUC at the moment i have 1 amboniensis, 3 nassarius and 2 turbo. need anything else for this size tank?

As fish i have 1 ocellaris (it will be 2 by the end of the week).

I was wondering if i can put in also a blenny and a royal gramma. Is this too much?

I will put in a month some soft corals too, i think briarerum toxic green, few zoas and pumping xenia.

It will fit all?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, i have a 70l (40liter net) tank, i am trying to understand what could i but in there.

For CUC at the moment i have 1 amboniensis, 3 nassarius and 2 turbo. need anything else for this size tank?

As fish i have 1 ocellaris (it will be 2 by the end of the week).

I was wondering if i can put in also a blenny and a royal gramma. Is this too much?

I will put in a month some soft corals too, i think briarerum toxic green, few zoas and pumping xenia.

It will fit all?
Some small Cerith snails may help in there.

That's a small tank and those two fish, the blenny and the gramma, like the same places(niche) so pick one. You could also get a small goby if you have sand.

briarerum toxic green I believe is known here as GSP (green star polyp). It and Xenia grow big very fast and can take over. You'll need to separate all the corals or else they will outgrow each other. GSP can be put on the back wall of the tank and it will look very good. Try the other two on two separated rocks. You can try many zoas if you want.

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (30"x18''x12'') 30 gallon tank, 2in sandbed, no fuge, wavemaker, ac70
currently stocked with: 2 clowns, 1YWG/tiger pair, 1 additional tiger pistol shrimp.

sandbed is pebble and finer grain sand, plenty of rocks and tunneling area along sandbed, YWG and shrimps have made their paths

Can I add a captive raised dragonet / are they compatable with the YWG also being a bottom dweller?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back