Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 foot 120. Current stocking list:
-Tomini tang
-Ocellaris pair
-pajama cardinal
-talbots damsel
-midas blenny
-lawnmower blenny
-cherub angel
-yellow watchman goby
-royal gramma
-green clown goby

Inverts:
-fire shrimp
-cleaner shrimp
-tiger pistol shrimp
-emerald crabs
-various urchins
-various snails and hermits

To add:
-geometric pygmy hawkfish
-biota mandarin

My question is about final addition. For the final addition I'm considering either a trio of lyretails for the commensal relationship with the midas blenny or a scopas tang. Would either work? Could I do both?

Thanks!
I wouldn’t do a scopas tang in this size tank, the anthias may work however be aware this will result in having to feed more and so a heavier nutrient intake for the tank.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 foot 120. Current stocking list:
-Tomini tang
-Ocellaris pair
-pajama cardinal
-talbots damsel
-midas blenny
-lawnmower blenny
-cherub angel
-yellow watchman goby
-royal gramma
-green clown goby

Inverts:
-fire shrimp
-cleaner shrimp
-tiger pistol shrimp
-emerald crabs
-various urchins
-various snails and hermits

To add:
-geometric pygmy hawkfish
-biota mandarin

My question is about final addition. For the final addition I'm considering either a trio of lyretails for the commensal relationship with the midas blenny or a scopas tang. Would either work? Could I do both?

Thanks!
I can't believe I forgot to mention my favorite fish in the tank my blue line flasher wrasse. So that's also in the tank lol

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do a scopas tang in this size tank, the anthias may work however be aware this will result in having to feed more and so a heavier nutrient intake for the tank.
Thanks! Tank is currently fed 4-5 times a day so should be ok I think right?

Is there a zebrasoma tang you'd be okay with in a 120? I only didn't list yellow tang or purple tang because anecdotally online information seems to be they're more consistently aggressive.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Tank is currently fed 4-5 times a day so should be ok I think right?

Is there a zebrasoma tang you'd be okay with in a 120? I only didn't list yellow tang or purple tang because anecdotally online information seems to be they're more consistently aggressive.
All Zebrasoma tangs are nasty with aggression it’s just that people ignore it because they’re popular reef fish (in reality they’re not really that interesting… it’s just a bright yellow fish which is easily replaced by butterflies and a purple fish that looks black under the right lighting).

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Zebrasoma tangs are nasty with aggression it’s just that people ignore it because they’re popular reef fish (in reality they’re not really that interesting… it’s just a bright yellow fish which is easily replaced by butterflies and a purple fish that looks black under the right lighting).
Makes sense! My main reason for it was actually nothing to do with its shape or color (though I do like the sailfin shape). I wanted something that may pick at filaments algae. Do you have any suggestions for a 4 foot 120 that fit the bill or just not worry about it lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense! My main reason for it was actually nothing to do with its shape or color (though I do like the sailfin shape). I wanted something that may pick at filaments algae. Do you have any suggestions for a 4 foot 120 that fit the bill or just not worry about it lol
I like foxfaces for this, I personally have a 6-7” Magnificus in my 4’x2’ and he really isn’t as active as people make them out to be (this isn’t my first experience with this either).

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like foxfaces for this, I personally have a 6-7” Magnificus in my 4’x2’ and he really isn’t as active as people make them out to be (this isn’t my first experience with this either).
And it looks like one spots stay the smallest? I should be okay on nutrient export once I finalize my external fuge, and at that point maybe I add a trio of lyretails and a one spot foxface. At that point I'd feel pretty fully stocked with 5-6 medium fish and 9 or so small fish in a 120 with most natural controls in place for algae

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice @i cant think ! Would this final list I came up with work well with order of introduction and compatibility? I do have a 5cm sandbed for the Halichoeres. Thanks!

1st
1x Orange Back Fairy Wrasse
1x Yellow Halichoeres Wrasse
2nd
1x Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
1x Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse
3rd
1x Linespot Flasher Wrasse
1x Royal Flasher Wrasse
4th
1x Royal Gramma
1x Springeri Damselfish
5th
2x Clownfish

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice @i cant think ! Would this final list I came up with work well with order of introduction and compatibility? I do have a 5cm sandbed for the Halichoeres. Thanks!

1st
1x Orange Back Fairy Wrasse
1x Yellow Halichoeres Wrasse
2nd
1x Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
1x Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse
3rd
1x Linespot Flasher Wrasse
1x Royal Flasher Wrasse
4th
1x Royal Gramma
1x Springeri Damselfish
5th
2x Clownfish
Orange back fairies can be rather nasty so I would remove that from the list or add it in later. The Chrysus will be alright though.
The two flashers I would add earlier (more likely in the 2nd spot), as for the other two Cirrhilabrus, they should work just fine.

And the rest looks great from what I’ve seen.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange back fairies can be rather nasty so I would remove that from the list or add it in later. The Chrysus will be alright though.
The two flashers I would add earlier (more likely in the 2nd spot), as for the other two Cirrhilabrus, they should work just fine.

And the rest looks great from what I’ve seen.

Thanks! What if I swapped out either the springeri or gramma's position with the orange back? Would that work better?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! What if I swapped out either the springeri or gramma's position with the orange back? Would that work better?
That could work better but since it’s only a 3’ tank I personally wouldn’t - Aurantidorsalis is a larger fairy which can easily get 5 inches (and larger).

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could work better but since it’s only a 3’ tank I personally wouldn’t - Aurantidorsalis is a larger fairy which can easily get 5 inches (and larger).

What about a brunneus, rubrisquamis, or naoko wrasse instead? I do have about 55x turnover per hour in the aquarium if that helps. Thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a brunneus, rubrisquamis, or naoko wrasse instead? I do have about 55x turnover per hour in the aquarium if that helps. Thanks!
I would personally do either a Brunneus or Finifenmaa in the tank. Finifenmaa is basically just the nicer version of Rubriquamis.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 3’ tank I wouldn’t do any flasher or large fairy such as the Cyanopleura and true Solorensis. So with this in mind here’s the wrasses that are left;

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, the Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse, as @Slocke said this is in fact my favourite fairy wrasse. The reason for this is the colouration both variants get - neither are left looking drab. I would definitely grab this species, I agree with the Indonesian looking nicer however as I said both are beautiful fish. Here’s the differences between the two (LFS’s tend to sell the Cebu variant as a female, don’t fall into that trap). In terms of aggression and size, the Cebu is larger and I would personally aim to keep it in a 4’x2’ tank however this one is slightly less aggressive. The Cebu gets to 3-3.5 inches whilst the Indonesian remains at 2-2.5 inches.
Indonesian;
81C2EDB4-B6E5-444C-82AD-AB819043B267.jpeg

Cebu;
EB9C7573-44DF-4EA2-9527-A3064EF81482.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus isosceles, the Pintail Fairy Wrasse, is another beautiful wrasse. I find the pinkish orange body of the mature male Isosceles complements the lubbocki’s deep purple body incredibly well. If you got a lubbocki then this would be number one on the list behind it personally (I never got an isosceles as I couldn’t introduce it early enough). The pintail fairy is a very delicate species when it comes to activity with other wrasses, if they’re added early on (1st or 3rd) they aren’t as secretive or hard to acclimate however when you begin to get more wrasses (5-6) they can be rather difficult to acclimate.

Cirrhilabrus exquisitus is another good choice. These guys can go in later as they aren’t overly sensitive to aggression, I would personally aim for a Vanuatu variant as these are the brightest in colour from the variants I’ve seen (African, Maldives, Vanuatu, ect). This also introduces a nice green which is one of the few colours I rarely see in fish in such a large quantity. For a short rundown of the variants and how you know what sea they’re from, look at the dorsal fin and if it’s edged in red then you have an Indian Ocean variant however if it’s not edged in red (yellow is often the other colour you see the fins edged in) then you have a Pacific Ocean variant. Below is a photo of all the differences - some are less subtle than others. This photo is taken from a reef builders article about the Exquisitus complex.
8F4901FA-22C2-4C35-A698-F7C0019FB3CB.jpeg

And last but not least, Cirrhilabrus flavianalis. This is the species that I wouldn’t do this is because they are known for their bad behaviour with other wrasses. I would personally replace this one with a different species of Fairy Wrasse (or if you have a sandbed, I’d grab a Halichoeres iridis or Halichoeres leucoxanthus).

Hope this helps and have a great Christmas :)
How much do these fish personalities vary in wrasse? By far the meanest wrasse I've ever kept was a Lubbock's fairy wrasse. I wonder what made him such a meanie lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do these fish personalities vary in wrasse? By far the meanest wrasse I've ever kept was a Lubbock's fairy wrasse. I wonder what made him such a meanie lol
They well and truly vary, the most notoriously peaceful species may have some of the most aggressive specimens but the most notoriously aggressive species may have the most peaceful specimens and vice versa.

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My LFS sold me a couple of months ago the following fish for my max nano peninsula 26 G tank: Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish. Any reactions what I should do? This is a very reputable store in my area and all other fish recommendations seemed solid, except this one, I assume.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My LFS sold me a couple of months ago the following fish for my max nano peninsula 26 G tank: Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish. Any reactions what I should do? This is a very reputable store in my area and all other fish recommendations seemed solid, except this one, I assume.
How big is it and is it causing any problems?
There are a few problems with big fish in a small tank. It could become stressed and injure itself, get sick, or be more aggressive to other fish. Also it could stunt the growth of the fish. If its still small you shouldn't worry but if it is and its causing problems you will need to try and re-home it.

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is it and is it causing any problems?
There are a few problems with big fish in a small tank. It could become stressed and injure itself, get sick, or be more aggressive to other fish. Also it could stunt the growth of the fish. If its still small you shouldn't worry but if it is and its causing problems you will need to try and re-home it.
Thank you. We believe it is about 1.5 inches at the moment. It has been rather aggressive in the beginning to others except the two clowns, but has since toned down. Eats well, no sign of sicknesses, good with picking algae from rocks, but has done more strange glass surfing recently so I thought these are some of the symptoms of having the wrong type of fish for this nano tank. We have checked all other 5 fishes (clowns, Randall goby, Purple fire fish, and Tailspot Blenny) and they seem to be fine but this one appears to stand out as not suitable.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. We believe it is about 1.5 inches at the moment. It has been rather aggressive in the beginning to others except the two clowns, but has since toned down. Eats well, no sign of sicknesses, good with picking algae from rocks, but has done more strange glass surfing recently so I thought these are some of the symptoms of having the wrong type of fish for this nano tank. We have checked all other 5 fishes (clowns, Randall goby, Purple fire fish, and Tailspot Blenny) and they seem to be fine but this one appears to stand out as not suitable.
Yeah that be a sign. I think it probably has excess energy and maybe can't find it in that tank. 1.5" isn't big but that angel seems like it might need something bigger.
Sorry about that. Even the best LFS sometimes stretch the recommendations to make a sale. I think the rest of your current stock is really good. But if you want a replacement then a cardinal fish is a lot less energetic and a small basslet like a royal gramma may also work.
Also consider a fun invert like a cleaner shrimp, urchin, or brittle star.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank I currently have:

2 black ice clownfish (captive bred)

I also have some fish in quarantine that will be joining the DT in the next few weeks, they are:

Neon Goby (captive bred)
Yashia Goby (captive bred)
Harptail Blenny (captive bred)
Foxface

I would like to add:

Royal Gramma Basslet (captive bred)
Court Jester Goby (captive bred)
Melanurus Wrasse

The display tank is a 40 gallon with a 29 gallon sump. I am about to separate my refugium out which will add another 15 gallons to the system. There are ample hiding spaces and caves in the rock. I will be soon setting up a protein skimmer, avast plank feeder, and am willing to add a reefmat if necessary. In addition I will be upgrading to a 125 about March of 2024. If the foxface grows too large before them, I will re-home him.

Do I have room to buy the extra 3 fish that I would like?
PXL_20230105_172320630.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back