Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank I currently have:

2 black ice clownfish (captive bred)

I also have some fish in quarantine that will be joining the DT in the next few weeks, they are:

Neon Goby (captive bred)
Yashia Goby (captive bred)
Harptail Blenny (captive bred)
Foxface

I would like to add:

Royal Gramma Basslet (captive bred)
Court Jester Goby (captive bred)
Melanurus Wrasse

The display tank is a 40 gallon with a 29 gallon sump. I am about to separate my refugium out which will add another 15 gallons to the system. There are ample hiding spaces and caves in the rock. I will be soon setting up a protein skimmer, avast plank feeder, and am willing to add a reefmat if necessary. In addition I will be upgrading to a 125 about March of 2024. If the foxface grows too large before them, I will re-home him.

Do I have room to buy the extra 3 fish that I would like?
PXL_20230105_172320630.jpg
Definitely the first two work. The only issue maybe is the blenny and gramma may not get along but they probably will. The CJG is one of my favorite fish and should work great.
The melanarus may be a bit big for the tank. Probably won't cause any issues but they can sometimes be a bit aggressive. Overall there no big issues though and it will probably work.

Could I suggest some urchins and/or Mexican turbo snails though? They are great algae eaters.

Mkydsm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank I currently have:

2 black ice clownfish (captive bred)

I also have some fish in quarantine that will be joining the DT in the next few weeks, they are:

Neon Goby (captive bred)
Yashia Goby (captive bred)
Harptail Blenny (captive bred)
Foxface

I would like to add:

Royal Gramma Basslet (captive bred)
Court Jester Goby (captive bred)
Melanurus Wrasse

The display tank is a 40 gallon with a 29 gallon sump. I am about to separate my refugium out which will add another 15 gallons to the system. There are ample hiding spaces and caves in the rock. I will be soon setting up a protein skimmer, avast plank feeder, and am willing to add a reefmat if necessary. In addition I will be upgrading to a 125 about March of 2024. If the foxface grows too large before them, I will re-home him.

Do I have room to buy the extra 3 fish that I would like?
PXL_20230105_172320630.jpg

I agree, all good except for the melanarus. The Gamma can be pretty territorial, you could add some more mid level structure to keep it from harassing the gobies.

In my experience, Melanarus and similar wrasse were never outwardly aggressive but no other fish would mess with them. The problem is they have a ton of energy and constantly rip back and forth like some tangs do. They are also extremely smart. If they don't have enough room, some may get bored and start getting "creative." I had to rehome a melanarus from a 75G after it began eating corals seemingly for fun one day.

Not saying it's impossible, and they all seem to have different personalities. At minimum, it will quicky learn your feeding methods and attempt to intercept all food before it can get to other fish (esp. gobies). 50/50 on your inverts surviving, but they usually won't bother large snails.

PhishScaper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, we have some awesome people on R2R who are experts on particular types of fish, and they are kind enough to share their knowledge with us! ...and since we have the cool tag function on R2R (click here if you're not sure how to tag), I thought it would be cool to list some people you will know you can call on if you have a question about a specific type of fish.

Wrasses: @evolved, @eatbreakfast

Seahorses: @SeahorseKeeper
Angels: Aquaph8

(more names will be added as we go)
I’ve one of the new innovative marine 15g AIO on the way.
Hoping to start with
1 ocelarus, then
1 purple fire fish OR banggai cardinal

But is it possible I can add a SIX LINE WRASSE as a last piece? I love them but not sure 15g is big enough :/
@evolved , @eatbreakfast

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve one of the new innovative marine 15g AIO on the way.
Hoping to start with
1 ocelarus, then
1 purple fire fish OR banggai cardinal

But is it possible I can add a SIX LINE WRASSE as a last piece? I love them but not sure 15g is big enough :/
@evolved , @eatbreakfast
No, they are too big and too aggressive for that size tank but their peaceful little cousin will probably work if you can find one. The pink streaked or cryptic wrasse: Pseudocheilinops ataenia.

PhishScaper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they are too big and too aggressive for that size tank but their peaceful little cousin will probably work if you can find one. The pink streaked or cryptic wrasse: Pseudocheilinops ataenia.
Thanks! I assumed that was the case, but the pink streaked looks awesome! There is also the 4 lined wrasse which is a little bluer but I guess that’s still a step up in aggression am I wrong? Appreciate the prompt feedback :). I’m looking for fish that will be a little more entertaining than a stagnant goby, gramma or cardinal - hence the wrasse angle :)

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I assumed that was the case, but the pink streaked looks awesome! There is also the 4 lined wrasse which is a little bluer but I guess that’s still a step up in aggression am I wrong? Appreciate the prompt feedback :). I’m looking for fish that will be a little more entertaining than a stagnant goby, gramma or cardinal - hence the wrasse angle :)
Also I know you already have it, but a full grown foxface is going to be pretty cramped in a 40 gallon tank. Just keep an eye on its growth

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke @Mkydsm

I have a pencil urchin, a few astrea snails and about 10,000 colonista snails. The colonistas we're hitchhikers that have exploded. I recently bought a big lot of snails and hermit crabs and placed them in a QT. The hermit crabs have ignored all of the food I have put in the tank and have been just eating the snails. In the DT I can't seem to keep normal snails alive either. I have some killer bristle worms that I think are eating my snails, that's why I want a wrasse.

A couple of things have changed since I made that post. 1. I am going to transfer everything from my 40 to a 75. And, 2. The harptail blenny died in QT, I believe largely from shipping trauma. We will likely get another harptail blenny because his activity level made him a family favorite.

So if both of you think a melanurus is going be a bad fit for the tank, I will gladly scratch him off. Can you suggest another wrasse? I would love to have multiple wrasses if possible. ( @i cant think this is my original post for more info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...-post-here-and-well-help.200605/post-10943863)

And I didn't realize the royal Gramma was aggressively territorial. We were looking for a dottyback alternative and I guess I missed that fact. Would it help if I added the royal Gramma last?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you will move it over to a 75 then a halichoeres like the melanarus is a great fit. May also consider the H. chryus or H. Iridis (yellow and radiant wrasse) among others (any halichoeres less than 6"). Just try and get a smaller one for the 40.

As for the royal gramma my experience is they are peaceful mostly but like to act tough to newbies for a couple days. They also protect their favorite rock/hole but not much beyond that.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon set up since June (Upgraded from another tank that had been set up for 2 years) and have been in the hobby for 8 years.
Current inhabitants
Regular Ocellaris
Caramel Ocellaris
Royal Gramma

(CUC: Tuxedo urchin, 2 fighting conch, 1 emerald crab, 2 turbo snails, 1 zebra hermit, 1 blue leg hermit and a hadfull of stomatellas)

Contemplating
Coral beauty
Flame Angel
Green Mandarin
Bangaii Cardinal
Blue Green Chromis
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Leopard Wrasse

Thoughts on this list?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon set up since June (Upgraded from another tank that had been set up for 2 years) and have been in the hobby for 8 years.
Current inhabitants
Regular Ocellaris
Caramel Ocellaris
Royal Gramma

(CUC: Tuxedo urchin, 2 fighting conch, 1 emerald crab, 2 turbo snails, 1 zebra hermit, 1 blue leg hermit and a hadfull of stomatellas)

Contemplating
Coral beauty
Flame Angel
Green Mandarin
Bangaii Cardinal
Blue Green Chromis
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Leopard Wrasse

Thoughts on this list?
Hey!
What are the dimensions of the tank?
Quick thoughts are:
  • Stick to one angel and add towards the end
  • With mandarin either wait and stock up on pods or go captive bred
  • Chromis need a few feedings per day
  • Yellow wrasse depends on dimensions
  • Leopard wrasse and a mandarin may not be compatible as they both eat copepods
  • Leopard may need a bigger tank.
  • Leopard will need to be eating and swallowing before you purchase

Loteck2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 year old a 120 gallon mixed reef that currently has

2 Ocellaris Clowns
2 Pajama Cardinals
1 Purple Dottyback
1 Peppermint Shrimp

I had a Dimond Goby from the start of the tank that died recently, I believe the Dottyback picked on him until it died.
I also recently added a small Foxface that the Dottyback chased around and he ended up getting stuck the a wavemaker.
I am going to make a guard for the wave maker prior to adding more fish.
I would like to make an order from Biota

1 Yellow Tang
1 Mandarin
1 Blue Neon Cleaner Goby
1 Starry Goby
1 Court Jester Goby

Thank you

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately with an aggressive dottyback it’s going to be hard to add anything.
The mandarin should be fine and maybe the tang but not those gobies. They won’t last long at all.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
What are the dimensions of the tank?
Quick thoughts are:
  • Stick to one angel and add towards the end
  • With mandarin either wait and stock up on pods or go captive bred
  • Chromis need a few feedings per day
  • Yellow wrasse depends on dimensions
  • Leopard wrasse and a mandarin may not be compatible as they both eat copepods
  • Leopard may need a bigger tank.
  • Leopard will need to be eating and swallowing before you purchase
Its 36" x 21 x 20 (JBJ 65 AIO) Either way the angels were going to go in last. I'm not rushing on the mandarin since I know what they take- though thank you for pointing out the leopard competing for resources since I definitely don't want that. I'm ony really wanting captive bred fish and am really looking for a mandarin that already eats frozen.

Loteck2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately with an aggressive dottyback it’s going to be hard to add anything.
The mandarin should be fine and maybe the tang but not those gobies. They won’t last long at all.
Do you think the gobies would work if I remove the dottyback?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its 36" x 21 x 20 (JBJ 65 AIO) Either way the angels were going to go in last. I'm not rushing on the mandarin since I know what they take- though thank you for pointing out the leopard competing for resources since I definitely don't want that. I'm ony really wanting captive bred fish and am really looking for a mandarin that already eats frozen.
You should be good then. 3’ should be good for a yellow wrasse and I’ve found captive bred mandarins easy. The tank may just be a bit too small for a leopard wrasse too.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the gobies would work if I remove the dottyback?
Yes!
So long as you have enough rock work for them. I’d also ferry them to the sand and rocks so they can get to safety and get used to the tank and tank mates.

Cadester1567

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

I’m pretty new to the hobby and I was wondering what new fish I should get for my fluval evo 13.5. It currently has 4 blue legged hermit crabs, 4 nassarius snails, a Mexican turbo snail, a small ocilaris clown fish, a fire fish, a decent size cleaner shrimp, and some macro algae. I am looking for a new fish that will do good with everybody, is reef safe, and will eat small pellets that my Eheim automatic feeder dispenses.

Any responses are appreciated

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I add to my 180 reef?

Current tank inhabitants:
* Blue Tang 2015
* Yellow Tang 2015
* Vrolick Wrasse - Hali family 2016
* Flameback dwarf angel 2016
* starry blenny 2018
* 2 percula clowns 2019
* Flame dwarf angel 2010
* Watchman goby 2019
* 4 blue chromis 2020
* 2 purple firefish Dec 2022 (adding BBS)
* Yasha white goby (alive but hides ) Dec 2022
* Green Mandarin male Dec 2022 (harvesting pods)
* Spotted mandarin female Dec 2022
* 2 cleaner shrimp 2018
* 1 fire shrimp 2018
* Sand sifting sea star 2021
* Red linkia sea star Jan 2023
* Multiple BTAs (removed many want to keep 3 or4)
* 2 leather corals large
* mushrooms
* GSP - want more!
* Kenya trees
* Will add Xenia

FISH I WANT TO ADD:
* Ruby Red male dragonet
* Swap the spotted female mandarin for a green female dragonet (so they spawn)
* Magnificent Foxface OR a bicolor foxface
* Aiptasia eating file fish
* Royal Gramma
* Banggai Cardinalfish (willing to swap him for something else?)

Anything else I should consider?

I want to put a few fish in with the foxface b/c I think it will spread out the aggression from the existing tankmates. I will add in more live rock when I add the fish. I will also place them in an acclimation box for a few days.

Thanks looking forward to your feedback!

Back