Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
realised that this stovking was going to be expensive so

Powder blue tang
scopas tang
goldrim tang
regal or flagfin angelfish
honeycomp grouper or cubicus boxfish
yellowhead butterflyfish
trio of anthias
tomini tang
harlequin tusk or a similarly sized wrasse
Both lists seem pretty good. I’d suggest adding anthias and butterfly fish early and angelfish, tangs, and grouper towards the end.

For wrasse I suggest considering Coris Gaimard alongside the tusk.

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both lists seem pretty good. I’d suggest adding anthias and butterfly fish early and angelfish, tangs, and grouper towards the end.

For wrasse I suggest considering Coris Gaimard alongside the tusk.
Ok i will. Red coris arent very pretty to my eye, what about earmuff wrasse? Any gobies (hopefully sand sifting)

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 133 gal DT - aiming for mixed reef

Current stock
* sailfin/lawnmower blennie
* 2 clowns
* young mimic rang
* young flame hawkfish
* various snails (zombie, stromb, turbo, astrea)

Looking for more activity in the water column - open to any suggestions - preferably peaceful

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i will. Red coris arent very pretty to my eye, what about earmuff wrasse? Any gobies (hopefully sand sifting)
Earmuff will work just fine.
Sand sifting gobies don’t tend to do well in our aquariums. Might do better if you let the tank age.
As for other gobies. Your choices are ones that will hide from your big fish or ones that are big themselves. I suggest the latter and engineer goby or gobies. They will also help keep your sand clean too.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 133 gal DT - aiming for mixed reef

Current stock
* sailfin/lawnmower blennie
* 2 clowns
* young mimic rang
* young flame hawkfish
* various snails (zombie, stromb, turbo, astrea)

Looking for more activity in the water column - open to any suggestions - preferably peaceful
I’m a wrasse guy and would go with an army of them. They are very active and come in a great variety

Halichoeres:
Radiant
Earmuff

Fairy:
Exquisite
Lubbocks
Naoko
Etc

Flasher:
Carpenter
Blue
Mccosker

You could also get Anampses or Leopard wrasse but they are more difficult

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Slocke !!! do you think I’d see any aggression issues with these? Some I’m not familiar with so I’ll need to do some homework.
You shouldn’t but if you want to ask the wrasse lovers thread when you’ve come up with a wishlist we’d be happy to help.

Bublgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a stock list planned out for a 150-160 gallon. Have not purchased any tank or equipment (though I have done much research on what different brands have to offer) and will not until I have a full understanding of what's going inside (besides the obvious copepods).

Firefish Goby (1)
Black Storm Clownfish (pair)
Banggai Cardinalfish (1)
Mandarin (1)
Lyretail Anthias (1M, 2F)
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (4F)
Blue Spotted Jawfish (1)
Yellow Tang (1)
Blue Hippo Tang (1)

1. Should I get a bubble tip anemone to start? Is it likely to harm any of these species if all of the fish are introduced to the tank when the nem is still small? If not likely, but still possible, is it worth the risk in order for the clownfish to thrive or should I scrap the nem altogether if my only reason for getting one is for the clownfish?
2. Are there any foreseeable issues between the different fish species on my list that I might have missed?
3. Are there any recommendations/concerns in regards to other additions to the tank (live rock/sand, species to clean the tank such as sponges, crawlers) that are compatible with the above list? I've read stories of some tangs nipping at live rock. Is this more of an issue for them or for the rock? Isn't live rock a necessity or is there a work around (besides for the nem)?
4. Coral recommendations?

This is ultimately a fish focused tank, but I am open to adding or refraining from anything that will help them thrive and live in harmony. Tank size is somewhat flexible, but I can always decrease the amount of wrasse I plan to add if the stock list seems to be too long.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Looks like you've gotten a good start but here's my thoughts:
1. Should I get a bubble tip anemone to start? Is it likely to harm any of these species if all of the fish are introduced to the tank when the nem is still small? If not likely, but still possible, is it worth the risk in order for the clownfish to thrive or should I scrap the nem altogether if my only reason for getting one is for the clownfish?
Clownfish won't benefit from an anemone. A lot of people like to see the symbiotic relationship of the clowns and an anemone but its doesn't happen often. Also bubble tips are sensitive so if you do want one add it later. Also they have a tendency to sting corals. Other fish should be fine though.
2. Are there any foreseeable issues between the different fish species on my list that I might have missed?

Firefish Goby (1) - can be shy
Black Storm Clownfish (pair) - good
Banggai Cardinalfish (1) - good
Mandarin (1) - either captive bred or added after a year or two
Lyretail Anthias (1M, 2F) - Must bee fed several times a day and have a high protein diet
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (4F) - Don't get 4 wrasse of the same species it will cause issues. Here's a suggested group of fairies:
  • Lubbocks
  • Exquisite
  • Naoko or social
  • rhomboidalis
  • lunatus
  • etc
Blue Spotted Jawfish (1) - Colder water fish. I suggest a yellowhead jawfish instead. Also they need a big burrow. I suggest using PVC pipe.
Yellow Tang (1) - Good but may bully/scare firefish
Blue Hippo Tang (1) - Not a fish I will ever recommend. They are big, aggressive, sensitive, and often bring disease.

Bonus recommendations:
  • Halichoeres wrasse are useful additions that are also fun fish. The prettiest to most people are the yellow (chrysus), the radiant, and the earmuff.
  • Foxface are like tangs but peaceful
  • Genicanthus angelfish are also great additions.
3. Are there any recommendations/concerns in regards to other additions to the tank (live rock/sand, species to clean the tank such as sponges, crawlers) that are compatible with the above list? I've read stories of some tangs nipping at live rock. Is this more of an issue for them or for the rock? Isn't live rock a necessity or is there a work around (besides for the nem)?
I suggest Fiji Pink sand as I find it is less cloudy and that my fish love it. For rock I suggest cycled rock from an LFS if you can find some. The more rock and crevices the better for your fish harmony. Try to make caves for fish to hide and swim through.
For your Clean Up Crew (CUC) I suggest (don't add all at once but slowly over the first few months if you can):
  • 5-10 trochus snails.
  • 2-5 mexican turbos
  • 20 small Cerith snails
  • 10 nassarius snails
  • 2 Peppermint shrimp
Unnecessary but fun additions:
  • Cleaner shrimp
  • Serpent star
  • Porcelain crab
4. Coral recommendations?
Look for things you like. Good starters are:
  • Zoanthids
  • Leathers and toadstools
  • Mushrooms
  • Rock flower anemones
  • GSP
  • Pulsing xenia
LPS aren't much of a step up if you want to try those too.
This is ultimately a fish focused tank, but I am open to adding or refraining from anything that will help them thrive and live in harmony. Tank size is somewhat flexible, but I can always decrease the amount of wrasse I plan to add if the stock list seems to be too long.
Honestly your list isn't long at all for that size of tank. My only slight issue is that you are mixing small timid fish with big ones. Firefish and tangs may well not work out. However I could see another 10 or more fish fitting into this tank just fine so long as they aren't the big or aggressive sort.

Last edited:

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earmuff will work just fine.
Sand sifting gobies don’t tend to do well in our aquariums. Might do better if you let the tank age.
As for other gobies. Your choices are ones that will hide from your big fish or ones that are big themselves. I suggest the latter and engineer goby or gobies. They will also help keep your sand clean too.
thanks alot. really appreciate it. Finally i have a solid stock. Will the pbt be fine? aggression?

Bublgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Looks like you've gotten a good start but here's my thoughts:

Clownfish won't benefit from an anemone. A lot of people like to see the symbiotic relationship of the clowns and an anemone but its doesn't happen often. Also bubble tips are sensitive so if you do want one add it later. Also they have a tendency to sting corals. Other fish should be fine though.

Firefish Goby (1) - can be shy
Black Storm Clownfish (pair) - good
Banggai Cardinalfish (1) - good
Mandarin (1) - either captive bred or added after a year or two
Lyretail Anthias (1M, 2F) - Must bee fed several times a day and have a high protein diet
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (4F) - Don't get 4 wrasse of the same species it will cause issues. Here's a suggest group of fairies:
  • Lubbocks
  • Exquisite
  • Naoko or social
  • rhomboidalis
  • lunatus
  • etc
Blue Spotted Jawfish (1) - Colder water fish. I suggest a yellowhead jawfish instead. Also they need a big burrow. I suggest using PVC pipe.
Yellow Tang (1) - Good but may bully/scare firefish
Blue Hippo Tang (1) - Not a fish I will ever recommend. They are big, aggressive, sensitive, and often bring disease.

Bonus recommendations:
  • Halichoeres wrasse are useful additions that are also fun fish. The prettiest to most people are the yellow (chrysus), the radiant, and the earmuff.
  • Foxface are like tangs but peaceful
  • Genicanthus angelfish are also great additions.

I suggest Fiji Pink sand as I find it is less cloudy and that my fish love it. For rock I suggest cycled rock from an LFS if you can find some. The more rock and crevices the better for your fish harmony. Try to make caves for fish to hide and swim through.
For your Clean Up Crew (CUC) I suggest (don't add all at once but slowly over the first few months if you can):
  • 5-10 trochus snails.
  • 2-5 mexican turbos
  • 20 small Cerith snails
  • 10 nassarius snails
  • 2 Peppermint shrimp
Unnecessary but fun additions:
  • Cleaner shrimp
  • Serpent star
  • Porcelain crab

Look for things you like. Good starters are:
  • Zoanthids
  • Leathers and toadstools
  • Mushrooms
  • Rock flower anemones
  • GSP
  • Pulsing xenia
LPS aren't much of a step up if you want to try those too.

Honestly your list isn't long at all for that size of tank. My only slight issue is that you are mixing small timid fish with big ones. Firefish and tangs may well not work out. However I could see another 10 or more fish fitting into this tank just fine so long as they aren't the big or aggressive sort.
This is all super helpful! Not as pressed on the firefish, though they are pretty. Might take your advice and cross it off the list.

Since, in your opinion, I can add more fish, what are your thoughts on keeping multiple yellow tangs? Also, thoughts on Chromis? I heard they can be bullies, but a school of blue green would be beautiful.

I'm not a huge fan of how the fox face looks, idk why. Maybe I'll change my mind when the time comes.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks alot. really appreciate it. Finally i have a solid stock. Will the pbt be fine? aggression?
I don’t believe PBTs are very aggressive. They can be sensitive and are commonly affected by ich. So if you can try and find one that looks healthy and is eating and give it a good quarintine.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since, in your opinion, I can add more fish, what are your thoughts on keeping multiple yellow tangs?
I’d go for a bristletooth but if you want multiple yellows then add them together
Also, thoughts on Chromis? I heard they can be bullies, but a school of blue green would be beautiful.
They bully each other too much and often die off. Basslets, blenny, or more wrasse may work well. Also there are some angelfish you could try.
I'm not a huge fan of how the fox face looks, idk why. Maybe I'll change my mind when the time comes.
Other rabbit fish?

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for a bristletooth but if you want multiple yellows then add them together

They bully each other too much and often die off. Basslets, blenny, or more wrasse may work well. Also there are some angelfish you could try.

Other rabbit fish?
Not an expert, but cardinals form amazing schools. I went to an lfs with a school of bangaii cardinals and it was MESMERISING.

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe PBTs are very aggressive. They can be sensitive and are commonly affected by ich. So if you can try and find one that looks healthy and is eating and give it a good quarintine.
any other good fish for the tank? Im really happy with this list, but how can i spice it up more

Bublgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Other rabbit fish?
Forgot to say that I love the angelfish that you suggested. Definitely going in there as well as the extra wrasse. Honestly, the yellowhead jawfish is prettier than the blue spot anyways. I've already updated my vision board lol. Thank you again, I feel so much more planned out.

randomnerd865

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm several months in to my new tank that actually has some room for some stocking. Coming from a 14 gallon biocube i've only ever had clownfish or a pistol goby pair.

I now have the innovative marine nuvo 40. It is a taller tank so looking for some a good active swimmers. It is a mixed reef so i'm trying to stay light on the stocking with no coral munchers. Not a huge fan of cardinals and nothing that has to be fed more than once a day. I want something out and about, not hiding all the time. Heavily leaning towards only one wrasse and calling it good. Open to suggestions if there is something I missed. Thanks R2R!

Currently have:
2 med. clowns and a pretty much fully grown flame hawk fish.

Considerations:
Six line (worried about this with the flame hawk, but love the look of them. Cheap and easy to get at my LFS #1 pick)
Possum wrasse
Fairy Wrasse
Royal Gramma
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Midas Blenny

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sixliness are tough little monsters so will do just fine. I suggest a Midas Blenny though as they are very active and have great personality. A gramma or even a dotty back may also work well as you already have a lot of aggression.

Fairies and the melanarus need more room. Possum wrasse are too shy. Flasher wrasse are both.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 77 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back