Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for the most part. However I would choose either the mandarin or the scooter blenny (and make sure you have enough pods)
I’d get two different species of flasher wrasse
Then the tang may scare the scissortail
My LFS has some pretty small Tomini Tangs, like maybe an inch at most. Do you think it would be an issue if I added it now and added some other peaceful fish afterwards, or should it be my last fish?
I have a Midas Blenny, Scissortail (both much bigger than the Tang, and two Oscellaris Clowns.

Hatuey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I get some help? I am gearing up for my 50.3 Gallon Tank. (3 Feet Wide) The list below is simply a wish list and looking to see which fish works with which. I’m know I’m gonna have to make some cuts off the lists (ex Puffer [wishful thinking?]) however I could use your help. Also would like to know if the quantity I listed is considered overstocked? I’m planning to do weekly 10% water changes and will have a skimmer as well.
I'm going general with the list to see which ones are definite "no's" to later defining the specifics of which ones I really want.
I am planning to have soft corals and LPS for the most part however I would like to get perhaps 2 to 3 SPS that would be able to cohabitate with the other corals as well as fish listed below:

2 Clowns
1 Reef Safe Wrasse
2 Blennies
3 Gobies
1 Dottyback
1 Dragonet
1 Hawkfish
1 Basslet
1 Tilefish
1 Valentini Puffer
1 Angelfish (Pygmy or Flameback)
X Snails
X Crabs
X Shrimp
1 Urchin
1 Clam
X Feather Duster
1 Nudibranch

Thanks in advance!

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I get some help? I am gearing up for my 50.3 Gallon Tank. (3 Feet Wide) The list below is simply a wish list and looking to see which fish works with which. I’m know I’m gonna have to make some cuts off the lists (ex Puffer [wishful thinking?]) however I could use your help. Also would like to know if the quantity I listed is considered overstocked? I’m planning to do weekly 10% water changes and will have a skimmer as well.
I'm going general with the list to see which ones are definite "no's" to later defining the specifics of which ones I really want.
I am planning to have soft corals and LPS for the most part however I would like to get perhaps 2 to 3 SPS that would be able to cohabitate with the other corals as well as fish listed below:

2 Clowns
1 Reef Safe Wrasse
2 Blennies
3 Gobies
1 Dottyback
1 Dragonet
1 Hawkfish
1 Basslet
1 Tilefish
1 Valentini Puffer
1 Angelfish (Pygmy or Flameback)
X Snails
X Crabs
X Shrimp
1 Urchin
1 Clam
X Feather Duster
1 Nudibranch

Thanks in advance!
Hawkish will most likely way for shrimp

Same for the Wrasse with your shrimp, snails and crabs. Live aquaria has a compatibility chart

JadeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all
First, wonderful forum, a lot of reading here and finally I decided to register.

A very new to the hobby with a question.

Nano tank cube around 100l - 26g
Started 2m ago with relatively stable parameters :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Nitrate varied from 10-40
everything else is kind of stable

fishes In the tank':
1 pair Clowns 5 years old
1 Tailspot blenny
1 Dottyback fish 5 y old
2 very small Blue Leg Hermit Crab
and 1 small Porcelain crab

Can you advise me , can i add a yellow gobby.
And my logic is that the Gobby will live in the lower part of the tank, where no fish usually go there maybe only Dottyback
but the Dottyback has a place under one of the stone, and when is out usually stays in the meddle or upper portion of the tank.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So posting for some guidance on my thoughts of changing my stock list. I have a 48” 65 gallon Tideline AIO. My dream was to have several wrasses but after several that have been difficult and died I’m thinking of changing what I stock.
My original stock plan was
-clown pair
-yellow coris
-lubbocks
-exquisite
-leopard
-Melanarus
-tomini

new plan
-clown pair
-exquisite
-tomini to be added at the end
And whatever suggestions these wonderful minds can come up with to fill this stocking out!

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So posting for some guidance on my thoughts of changing my stock list. I have a 48” 65 gallon Tideline AIO. My dream was to have several wrasses but after several that have been difficult and died I’m thinking of changing what I stock.
My original stock plan was
-clown pair
-yellow coris
-lubbocks
-exquisite
-leopard
-Melanarus
-tomini

new plan
-clown pair
-exquisite
-Melanarus
-tomini to be added at the end
And whatever suggestions these wonderful minds can come up with to fill this stocking out!

HPJoshcraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently waiting for my tank to arrive. I've been trying to narrow down the list of fish to add when it comes time. I have red sea Max nano coming.

1-2 ocellaris clownfish
1 yellow Watchman goby with pistol shrimp.
1 tailspot blenny
1 sharknose goby

Would these all work together. I was having a hard time finding Information on if the 2 goby's could coexist.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at adding a purple firefish or helfrichi firefish, I've got a 75g with a scissortail in it and a few other fish, but they all do great together

Theodin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have any experience housing a One-spot Foxface Rabbitfish with a Bicolor Angel? I've always been interested in a FoxFace, but I am a little concerned that the bicolor being similar in appearance might take issue to a new tankmate. The angel is still relatively small, so maybe if I get a larger Foxface, it may not matter? I'm interested to see if anyone has kept them together before.

Tank Info for Reference:
140g display (60Lx18Dx30H)

Current Inhabitants:
1 Bicolor Angel
1 Blue Tang
2 Clowns
1 Purple Firefish
2 Bangaii Cardinalfish
1 Diamond Goby

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have any experience housing a One-spot Foxface Rabbitfish with a Bicolor Angel? I've always been interested in a FoxFace, but I am a little concerned that the bicolor being similar in appearance might take issue to a new tankmate. The angel is still relatively small, so maybe if I get a larger Foxface, it may not matter? I'm interested to see if anyone has kept them together before.

Tank Info for Reference:
140g display (60Lx18Dx30H)

Current Inhabitants:
1 Bicolor Angel
1 Blue Tang
2 Clowns
1 Purple Firefish
2 Bangaii Cardinalfish
1 Diamond Goby
Haven’t kept them together at the same time before, but there shouldn’t be a problem considering the tank is a 5 footer and there is lots of rock and territory. The Angelfish shouldn’t bother the Foxface other than checking it out when first introduced, and the Foxface is very docile so it shouldn’t pay attention to the Angel.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all! I just got the opportunity to rescue a cubicus boxfish and was wondering if it would be okay in my tank. The fish is currently approx 1” long and I have an empty 20 long to house it until it would be a safe size in my tank (also as qt).

My tank rn is a 75 gallon FOWLR with a zebra eel, geometric moray, and two dwarf fuzzies. I have very heavy filtration (ex. Skimmer for a 150 gallon). What’re y’all’s thoughts?

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 4ft by 2ft wide and 16 inches tall, 73 gallon total system volume is 100 gallons. Currently in there I have:
Pair of clowns
Royal gramma
Pin tail fairy wrasse
Mccoskers flasher wrasse
Pair of flame hawks
One spot foxface
Red lined wrasse

in qt I have:
Exquisite fairy wrasse
Radiant wrasse

so I will have 11 fish in total and want to add a tang, would it be ok in there? I was looking at the white tail bristletooth and read mixed reviews on them if their peaceful or agressive. I could sell the exquisite wrasse but I don’t think that would make much of a difference. Anyone think this would be ok or should I not get the tang?

Abiodork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 14 gallon tank just hit the 3 month mark. I’m in the midst of the uglies (imma need the hair algae to chill out, please and thank you), the purple coralline algae is starting to show up, I’ve got a nice CUC going, and some really happy rainbow clove polyps, a zoa island, a leather and a hammer frag. I previously had a clown and a black-capped purple basslet, but they both came down with and succumbed to something that ended up causing what appeared to be thickened slime coats and difficulty breathing. So I want to let the tank simmer down before adding fish back in - I’ve heard three months fish-free should give most fish parasites time to die off. As long as I keep feeding the skunk cleaner shrimp and blue-legged hermit crab (and by default everybody else - snails, corals), my tank should be continuing its journey, right? I don’t *need* fish to keep the tank maturing?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 14 gallon tank just hit the 3 month mark. I’m in the midst of the uglies (imma need the hair algae to chill out, please and thank you), the purple coralline algae is starting to show up, I’ve got a nice CUC going, and some really happy rainbow clove polyps, a zoa island, a leather and a hammer frag. I previously had a clown and a black-capped purple basslet, but they both came down with and succumbed to something that ended up causing what appeared to be thickened slime coats and difficulty breathing. So I want to let the tank simmer down before adding fish back in - I’ve heard three months fish-free should give most fish parasites time to die off. As long as I keep feeding the skunk cleaner shrimp and blue-legged hermit crab (and by default everybody else - snails, corals), my tank should be continuing its journey, right? I don’t *need* fish to keep the tank maturing?
Precisely, in the wild this situation occurs. First corals will thrive and take hold. Then the inverts come in and also thrive and then the fish come in and keep control of everything.
Reality is, fish are the last thing a reef needs to thrive.

Netotek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently on Day 9 of my cycle and I'm trying to do my best in researching the fish and corals I'm planning on stocking.

I have a 13.5 Gallon Fluval Evo, and I plan on running it without upgrades for the first year. Except I was thinking of getting the protein skimmer and a seneye sooner rather than later.

Must haves:
1 x True Percula Clownfish
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Yellow Clown Goby

If I could I'd like to add a watchmand goby or some sort of sand sifting fish.

For the CUC, I wasn't sure what I could add or how many of them so that they can be affective.

1 x Emerald Crab
1 x Pistol Shrimp
? x Hermit Crab
? x Narissus Snail

I also worry about the hermit crabs killing the snails, I would rather go with one or the other I think.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks to all of you who are helping other reefers in this thread!!

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank size:

75 gallons

theme:

tide pool esc build no corals just macroalgea

current list? :

rock flower anemone x1
1.5" snails x3
("turbo snails")
tiger conch x1
porcelain anemone crab x1
aiptasia eating filefish x1
lagoon shrimp goby x1
falco hawkfish x1

questions:

could I fit a pom pom crab in this list?
is there room on this list for a small school of something?
and is there anything else you would recommend for this tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank size:

75 gallons

theme:

tide pool esc build no corals just macroalgea

current list? :

rock flower anemone x1
1.5" snails x3
("turbo snails")
tiger conch x1
porcelain anemone crab x1
aiptasia eating filefish x1
lagoon shrimp goby x1
falco hawkfish x1

questions:

could I fit a pom pom crab in this list?
is there room on this list for a small school of something?
and is there anything else you would recommend for this tank?
Be careful with the falco and anemone crabs, they sometimes work but it’s a high chance of it if not working out.
Small schools a lot of the time don’t work out as they want to be in slightly larger groups than many of our tanks can hold (high single digits to low doubles at the minimum in quantity). There’s also not really a ‘tide pool’ looking fish that will school.

Other fish I would say look into are;
Chalk Bass - Serranus tortugarum
Swiss Guard Basslet - Liopropoma rubre
Collare’s Butterfly - Chaetodon collare
Brown Banded Butterfly - Roa modestus
Klein’s Butterfly - Chaetodon kleinii
Occelate Dragonet - Synchiropus occelatus
Pink/Red Dragonet - Synchiropus stellatus
Circled Dragonet - Synchiropus circularis
Kuiter’s Dragonet - Dactylopus kuiteri
Fingered Dragonet - Dactylopus dactylopus
Pink Streaked Wrasse - Pseudocheilinops ataenia
Yellow Band Possum Wrasse - Wetmorella nigropinnata
White Band Possum Wrasse - Wetmorella albofasciata
Tanakai Possum Wrasse - Wetmorella tanakai
Dusky Wrasse - Halichoeres marginatus
Argus Wrasse - Halichoeres argus
Adorned Wrasse - Halichoeres cosmetus

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the falco and anemone crabs, they sometimes work but it’s a high chance of it if not working out.
Small schools a lot of the time don’t work out as they want to be in slightly larger groups than many of our tanks can hold (high single digits to low doubles at the minimum in quantity). There’s also not really a ‘tide pool’ looking fish that will school.

Other fish I would say look into are;
Chalk Bass - Serranus tortugarum
Swiss Guard Basslet - Liopropoma rubre
Collare’s Butterfly - Chaetodon collare
Brown Banded Butterfly - Roa modestus
Klein’s Butterfly - Chaetodon kleinii
Occelate Dragonet - Synchiropus occelatus
Pink/Red Dragonet - Synchiropus stellatus
Circled Dragonet - Synchiropus circularis
Kuiter’s Dragonet - Dactylopus kuiteri
Fingered Dragonet - Dactylopus dactylopus
Pink Streaked Wrasse - Pseudocheilinops ataenia
Yellow Band Possum Wrasse - Wetmorella nigropinnata
White Band Possum Wrasse - Wetmorella albofasciata
Tanakai Possum Wrasse - Wetmorella tanakai
Dusky Wrasse - Halichoeres marginatus
Argus Wrasse - Halichoeres argus
Adorned Wrasse - Halichoeres cosmetus
what do you mean by sometimes it works sometimes it does mean that they are hard to care for in captivity or that they just don't do well in captivity sometimes or is it that those specs specifically tend to fight eachother

and also arent dragonets like so notoriously hard to care for that even advanced keepers tend to stray away from them

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean by sometimes it works sometimes it does mean that they are hard to care for in captivity or that they just don't do well in captivity sometimes or is it that those specs specifically tend to fight eachother

and also arent dragonets like so notoriously hard to care for that even advanced keepers tend to stray away from them
Dragonets are difficult if you don’t know how to meet their requirements. As soon as you find their requirements and can keep up with them they’re easy as any other species IME.

As for it sometimes working out, it’s likely the Falco may munch on small species of crabs like porcelain anemone crabs.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back