Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems good, but just choose one to cycle as they might end up fighting.
Oh no not for cycle :) tank is cycling fishless but .. my QT is cycled and I would like to start stoking up on fish.
First 5-6 chromis .. but ... those Azure Damsels look very nice - I would like to keep both :) and my lfs has both :) so I was thinking if it was a good idea. .. they are damsels after all

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no not for cycle :) tank is cycling fishless but .. my QT is cycled and I would like to start stoking up on fish.
First 5-6 chromis .. but ... those Azure Damsels look very nice - I would like to keep both :) and my lfs has both :) so I was thinking if it was a good idea. .. they are damsels after all
Oh sorry. It mostly likely will be fine if you add them at the same time.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend one or the other, not both.

I currently have 3 azure damsels in my 108 gallon display and wish I had gotten 5-7.
They will each stake out a few square inches of territory. They are typically not aggressive like some other damsels.

Just remember that if you want any other rock dwelling fish, they will have to work around the damsels.

As for chromis, I always have 1. More often than not they do not survive long in groups. Best chance is 7-9 or more and a lot of flow in the tank.

Still, one group or the other, but not both.

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend one or the other, not both.

I currently have 3 azure damsels in my 108 gallon display and wish I had gotten 5-7.
They will each stake out a few square inches of territory. They are typically not aggressive like some other damsels.

Just remember that if you want any other rock dwelling fish, they will have to work around the damsels.

As for chromis, I always have 1. More often than not they do not survive long in groups. Best chance is 7-9 or more and a lot of flow in the tank.

Still, one group or the other, but not both.
So no grammas, firefish, gobies ...

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can absolutely have those!

I have them all as well. But I also only have 3 azures. So there is plenty of room for everyone. Also gobies are bottom dwellers so they are definitely fine.

The azures typically stay mid tank very near the rocks.

Firefish for me have always been out and about, bottom half in the open. But always know where a safe spot is.

Consider adding the damsels after your other small, peaceful fish get established. I actually added them first and have had no issues in a year and a half and I have a lot of fish.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you mentioned firefish, and wanted 2 shoals of fish. Could do one azure shoal and one small shoal of dart fish(which are not territorial to conspecifics like firefish). This mixture would not have the aggression issues like 2 groups of damsels.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you mentioned firefish, and wanted 2 shoals of fish. Could do one azure shoal and one small shoal of dart fish(which are not territorial to conspecifics like firefish). This mixture would not have the aggression issues like 2 groups of damsels.
This is a good idea. So good that I have it!

Trio of azures, trio of zebra bars! Guaranteed color and activity!

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok a few days ago I posted here and I think I got everything wrapped up. I can remove some if needed but leave some suggestions if needed. *Also Scroll to the bottom

Last edited:

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month and a half ago I got a Randall's Assessor, and I'm really liking the little guy. So much so that I'm thinking I want to add more. He adapted really well to my tank, a 5ft, and is out and about the whole day, so my concern isn't with any of my other fishes. He is still young at about 1" to 1.5".

From what I've read they do well in groups, but will it work if I add two more to the one hat has been in my display for about 3 weeks already and probably closer to 7 by the time the new ones clear QT?

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning a build to begin early next year. Could use some thoughts on the fish stocking plan. I like fish as much as the coral, but don't want to overstock. That being said, I would still like to have as many fish of as many different varieties with as many different colors (all while managing aggression...).

Tank dimensions: 60"x21"x20"

Fish would be introduced over the course of a year or so.

Fish introduction order:
1x Firefish
1x Neon Goby
1x Royal Gramma
2x Clownfish
4x Pajama Cardinalfish
4x Chalk Bass
6x Bluegreen Chromis
1x Six Line Wrasse
1x Coral Beauty Angelfish
1x Yellow Tang
1x Lawnmower Blenny
1x Mandarin Goby
1x Coral Beauty Angelfish

abbas.jaffer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add 1 possibly 2 more fish to my existing Red Sea 170, sps dominant. This is my current fish stock:
1 x mocha ice clown
1 x tail spot blenny
1 x crescent tail wrasse- lunatus
1x tomini tang

Thanks!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month and a half ago I got a Randall's Assessor, and I'm really liking the little guy. So much so that I'm thinking I want to add more. He adapted really well to my tank, a 5ft, and is out and about the whole day, so my concern isn't with any of my other fishes. He is still young at about 1" to 1.5".

From what I've read they do well in groups, but will it work if I add two more to the one hat has been in my display for about 3 weeks already and probably closer to 7 by the time the new ones clear QT?
This should work out fine. I have kept multiple assessors for decades and never once had trouble with any of them.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are social, and enjoy the same areas of the tank, but I wouldnt say they stick "together". They do interact some though.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i understood fairy and flashers are peaceful and i was told the 4 i was eyeballin would work in my 100 gallon.

Exquisite, fairy
red head solon fairy
pink margin fairy
carpenter flasher.

i ordered all 4 with LFS for sept 10 pick up.

i just came across that red head is ***** aggressive.. did i bite off more than i can chew? im trying to have a peaceful reef.

current in QT 2 clowns, firefish,cardinal, lawnmower blenny and orchid dotty.

i thought i picked 4 peaceful wrasses!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i understood fairy and flashers are peaceful and i was told the 4 i was eyeballin would work in my 100 gallon.

Exquisite, fairy
red head solon fairy
pink margin fairy
carpenter flasher.

i ordered all 4 with LFS for sept 10 pick up.

i just came across that red head is ***** aggressive.. did i bite off more than i can chew? im trying to have a peaceful reef.

current in QT 2 clowns, firefish,cardinal, lawnmower blenny and orchid dotty.

i thought i picked 4 peaceful wrasses!

C. solorensis “Red-Headed Solon Fairy”: Commonly available, inexpensive. Generally aggressive with other Cirrhilabrus.

i don't think they're known to be super aggressive, but some people have had issues with them. it's definitely the most aggressive of the wrasses you have on your list

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't think they're known to be super aggressive, but some people have had issues with them. it's definitely the most aggressive of the wrasses you have on your list

thanks, ill dump him and take a more peaceful one to prevent potential headache.. any suggestions to play it safe.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, ill dump him and take a more peaceful one to prevent potential headache.. any suggestions to play it safe.
Mine was a model citizen before he managed to jump :( They are really stunning, I would still get it. He was even nice to my smaller leopards.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a model citizen before he managed to jump :( They are really stunning, I would still get it. He was even nice to my smaller leopards.
UGH! i was hoping everyone made my decision easy and agreed to replace. but no you tell me to gamble! lol

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i love the solon so i'd totally risk it, but..

pintail c. isoscoles is super docile and pretty. if you really want super peaceful this is probably the one to get
orangeback from that same complex is known to be much more peaceful, c. aurantidorsalis
flame wrasses c. jordani are usually pretty peaceful, but a little pricey
hooded wrasses c. bathyphilus are pretty, sometimes more affordable

Back